Rose: 4 Majors in 4 months is bad for golf.

MMB1500

> @jjl said:

> Completely agree with Rose and I don't think his comments are related to his relatively poor play this year (blame that on the new sticks). The gaps between the majors is way too short, and they're over too quickly based on the calendar year. The gap between the PGA and US Open was so short it bordered on silly.

The US Open this year was played four weeks after the PGA.

The PGA was played THREE weeks after the British Open last year.

Playing the US Open and British Open or the British Open and the PGA four weeks apart is not unusual in the last forty years.

> @LICC said:

> > @loneacer said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > >

> > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > >

> > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > >

> > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > >

> > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> >

> > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

>

> What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PG> @LICC said:

> > @loneacer said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > >

> > > > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

> > >

> > > What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PGA.

> >

> > That would be news to all the winners from 1987-2006....

>

> The Fedex Cup championship started in 2007.

Do you think the Tour Championship started in 2007?

> @LICC said:

> > @loneacer said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > >

> > > > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

> > >

> > > What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PGA.

> >

> > That would be news to all the winners from 1987-2006....

>

> The Fedex Cup championship started in 2007.

The TOUR Championship started in 1987 and was won by Tom Watson.

It was renamed in 2007.

On the official website you see the tournament lineage goes back to 1987.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/tour-championship/past-results.html

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> >But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

>

> The Tour Championship is the last full weekend in August. And its fine if you or other people dont watch the NFL but TV ratings would indicate it is still the big dog in the room and from a business standpoint, the PGA had no choice IMO. To me its just about perfect.

>

> But I think we're off topic a bit. The fact is that Rose is complaining about the schedule being too compressed but all facts point to him being completely off base. The schedule is for all intents and purposes the exact same length and spacing - it just started a month earlier.

You are assuming the Tour Championship is necessary. It is not. If Fed Ex points, playoffs, and the Tour Champioship went away tomorrow how many people would care, or even notice? Golf champions have always been identified by the four majors, not the Fed Ex Cup and the Tour Championship. I'm fine with that and had no problem with having the Masters in April, the US Open in June, The Open in July and the PGA in August. Now we have to squeeze in the Players, playoffs, a Tour Championship, Presidents Cup and a quadrennial Olympics, and an occasional WGC event. They're all secondary to the majors yet we have to find away to get them over with quickly so we can fit the second stringers in by the end of August. IMHO we don't.

I will say that if a player can get hot. The shortend schedule "could" make it easier for someone to complete a calendar grand slam. Of course, I say that relative as a career grand slam is extremely difficult.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @dalehead said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > >But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

> >

> > The Tour Championship is the last full weekend in August. And its fine if you or other people dont watch the NFL but TV ratings would indicate it is still the big dog in the room and from a business standpoint, the PGA had no choice IMO. To me its just about perfect.

> >

> > But I think we're off topic a bit. The fact is that Rose is complaining about the schedule being too compressed but all facts point to him being completely off base. The schedule is for all intents and purposes the exact same length and spacing - it just started a month earlier.

>

> You are assuming the Tour Championship is necessary. It is not. If Fed Ex points, playoffs, and the Tour Champioship went away tomorrow how many people would care, or even notice? Golf champions have always been identified by the four majors, not the Fed Ex Cup and the Tour Championship. I'm fine with that and had no problem with having the Masters in April, the US Open in June, The Open in July and the PGA in August. Now we have to squeeze in the Players, playoffs, a Tour Championship, Presidents Cup and a quadrennial Olympics, and an occasional WGC event. They're all secondary to the majors yet we have to find away to get them over with quickly so we can fit the second stringers in by the end of August. IMHO we don't.

>

Agreed. But when you're trying to make a point to someone who sees 20 weeks and 14 weeks as 'for all intents and purposes the exact same length', I don't like your chances ;-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So what do these guys want? When the season ended in September, all of the pros whined because there was no "offseason" - which is hilarious, because few of the top names even bother to play in the fall events anyway.

Now that the season is condensed, they don't have enough prep time for the majors? Really? Hardly any big names are playing the interim events anyway.

They always wanted to compare themselves to other major sports when it came to an offseason, but in other sports guys don't randomly take 3 weeks off in the middle of the year if they're healthy. If you forced Tour guys to play every single event October - June (including playoffs) like the NBA or NHL, with only one week off in there, they would never go for it. I feel like most of the top pros rarely play anything more than back to back weeks nowadays anyway.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @loneacer said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

> > > >

> > > > What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PGA.

> > >

> > > That would be news to all the winners from 1987-2006....

> >

> > The Fedex Cup championship started in 2007.

>

> The TOUR Championship started in 1987 and was won by Tom Watson.

> It was renamed in 2007.

> On the official website you see the tournament lineage goes back to 1987.

> https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/tour-championship/past-results.html

>

Yes, but that tournament was played in November. Since the FedEx Cup playoffs, the first one in September was 2007.

> @dalehead said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > >But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

> >

> > The Tour Championship is the last full weekend in August. And its fine if you or other people dont watch the NFL but TV ratings would indicate it is still the big dog in the room and from a business standpoint, the PGA had no choice IMO. To me its just about perfect.

> >

> > But I think we're off topic a bit. The fact is that Rose is complaining about the schedule being too compressed but all facts point to him being completely off base. The schedule is for all intents and purposes the exact same length and spacing - it just started a month earlier.

>

> You are assuming the Tour Championship is necessary. It is not. If Fed Ex points, playoffs, and the Tour Champioship went away tomorrow how many people would care, or even notice? Golf champions have always been identified by the four majors, not the Fed Ex Cup and the Tour Championship. I'm fine with that and had no problem with having the Masters in April, the US Open in June, The Open in July and the PGA in August. Now we have to squeeze in the Players, playoffs, a Tour Championship, Presidents Cup and a quadrennial Olympics, and an occasional WGC event. They're all secondary to the majors yet we have to find away to get them over with quickly so we can fit the second stringers in by the end of August. IMHO we don't.

>

I think the millions of golf fans who watch the FedEx playoff events, and the people who get paid from the money they bring in, would care or notice if they went away tomorrow, or if they got moved to later in the year when their ratings would plummet.

> @LICC said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

> > > > >

> > > > > What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PGA.

> > > >

> > > > That would be news to all the winners from 1987-2006....

> > >

> > > The Fedex Cup championship started in 2007.

> >

> > The TOUR Championship started in 1987 and was won by Tom Watson.

> > It was renamed in 2007.

> > On the official website you see the tournament lineage goes back to 1987.

> > https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/tour-championship/past-results.html

> >

>

> Yes, but that tournament was played in November. Since the FedEx Cup playoffs, the first one in September was 2007.

By that logic, I'd like to congratulate Brooks Koepka for becoming the first winner of the PGA Championship (...in May)

> @loneacer said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @loneacer said:

> > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's more the progression over time than a year to year comparison. In 2000 there were 31 weeks with tournaments (plus the annual cup thing) between the Masters and Tour Championship. This year there's 21.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What Tour Championship? The first one was in 2007. In 2000, the Players was March 22-26, and the PGA Championship was August 16-20. The Buick Classic was in June and the Western Open in July. The WGC at Firestone was the week after the PGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > That would be news to all the winners from 1987-2006....

> > > >

> > > > The Fedex Cup championship started in 2007.

> > >

> > > The TOUR Championship started in 1987 and was won by Tom Watson.

> > > It was renamed in 2007.

> > > On the official website you see the tournament lineage goes back to 1987.

> > > https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/tour-championship/past-results.html

> > >

> >

> > Yes, but that tournament was played in November. Since the FedEx Cup playoffs, the first one in September was 2007.

>

> By that logic, I'd like to congratulate Brooks Koepka for becoming the first winner of the PGA Championship (...in May)

The pre-2007 format is not relevant to a discussion of whether the 2019 changes made a too-compressed schedule.

I have to agree with Rose. I personally, do not care a bit about the Fedex Cup but I understand the $$ involved. It is the Majors that count and draw viewers. But let us all remember that professional golf is a business and they are bowing to the Fedex Cup money and are afraid of competition from the NFL. For myself, the most meaningful golf of the season ends this weekend in Northern Ireland.

• Like 1

I would tend to agree. Too many big events in too short a time. Also, after the Open this week, to some degree who cares what happens after...which is a problem the Fedex cup always has. It's also probably the big reason for the shift, to make the Fedex cup seem more relevant. It also forces some players, especially some of the older ones like Phil, to play too often which for some, is never good for their performance.

> @NJpatbee said:

> I have to agree with Rose. I personally, do not care a bit about the Fedex Cup but I understand the $$ involved. It is the Majors that count and draw viewers. But let us all remember that professional golf is a business and they are bowing to the Fedex Cup money and are afraid of competition from the NFL. For myself, the most meaningful golf of the season ends this weekend in Northern Ireland.

Totally agree.

> @cohenfive said:

> I would tend to agree. Too many big events in too short a time. Also, after the Open this week, to some degree who cares what happens after...which is a problem the Fedex cup always has. It's also probably the big reason for the shift, to make the Fedex cup seem more relevant. It also forces some players, especially some of the older ones like Phil, to play too often which for some, is never good for their performance.

It is the same number of events (less one) over the same period of time (less one week).

Besides Augusta, every major was played in cold weather......yawn.

I went to Honda this year and nobody was there, besides Rickie & Brooks.

PGA needs to end the season after the stupid Fedex playoffs and take a few months off. Let players go to Europe or wherever to play (if they want)......golf needs an off-season.

As for the schedule, it feels condensed. No way Tiger could get to 80+ wins if his era played wit this schedule.....its too "major oriented".

While they are at it, bring back Doral for an event.

I'd bet that 60% of "golf fans" stop watching until next year or whenever Tiger golfs again.

> @LICC said:

> > @idrive said:

> > I just want to add that I completely agree with Rose. The entire scheduling as it is now is not in Golfs best interest.

> >

> > Every 6 weeks for a Major...

>

> I can't see them moving the US Open from finishing on Father's Day.

> Why not have the tournaments play Wednesday to Saturday once the NFL season starts?

Outside of the northeast college football is a pretty big deal too.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > I watched the whole interview last night. It was even more off base than just his quotes. His comments were almost entirely about how a month in between majors isnt enough and it takes him more time and he thinks they need more time between majors. He's either forgotten - or he's ignoring to make some "point" - the fact that there has *always* been approximately one month between "major events" - the four majors and the Players.

> >

> > You want more time off, you need more time off, it takes you longer to ramp up...what are you talking about? This is how its always been.

> >

> > The PGA can barely get casual golfers interested in the manufactured FedEx Cup when it ended in September. No one cares once college football and the NFL get ramped up. You can hate that but its reality. IMO this was the only move to make.

> >

> > The Tour Championship format is still a disaster, thats what he should be whining about.

> >

> > I guess I'm in the minority but I love this format. Tour Championship in August. Football gets cranked up. There are a few Fall Season events that I like watching - and then real golf starts again in January.

>

> That all depends on where you live. In the south the NFL isn’t really half a big as the north and west coast.

>

> College football is huge here. Sure. But. Not until the summer is nearly gone. As in October. I know. I have a wife who is a world class SEC fan. We watch college football every weekend. But that’s one day . But on the flip side. We haven’t watched an NFL game in 10 years. Maybe more.

The season starts in August. The SEC notoriously plays earlier conference games than the rest of the country and their stronger OOC opponent early. Example of First week (August) SEC opponents this year: Miami, Duke, UNC, Georgia/Vandy, Oregon. Second week (September): Purdue, West Virginia, Clemson, Texas, Ole Miss/Arkansas.

I agree that it's bad for golf. Right now the biggest draw in the game by far is TW. As we know, TW can't really play every week. The guy does best when he has a week or two between events. Yet they run these "playoffs" back-to-back-to-back. Dumb! If they cared about making money and cared about the fans, they would space meaningful events 2-3 weeks apart to make sure the guy who moves the needle can actually play in those things.

> @helper_monkey said:

> I wonder if Justin, being British, understands what a juggernaut the NFL really is in terms of dominating the TV sports landscape once it starts up?

He dealt with competing with Premier league football (soccer) in Europe. Also a Prominent player on PGA doesn’t know about NFL tv ratings is a big lol. Takes a week in America to know that

He probably knows more about sports and ratings than most of us

I don't think the 4 majors in 4 months is that big of a deal. The US Open, Open, and PGA always had roughly month between them. I'm not sure how having a break after the Masters vs. playing one more major tournament in consecutive months is the huge deal.

I do think they are trying to make two many things too important though. Personally, I don't find any of the WGCs or the Playoff Events/Tour Championship any more interesting than some of the other better tournaments. To me, any of these tournaments become interesting if one of my favorite players has a chance or there is a good battle between a few/several top players.

It will be interesting to see who skips the Memphis WGC next week. I also think its kind of stupid how fast things start up with the fall events again. I think there should be a two-month gap after the Tour Championship with NO tournaments at all.

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @idrive said:

> > > I just want to add that I completely agree with Rose. The entire scheduling as it is now is not in Golfs best interest.

> > >

> > > Every 6 weeks for a Major...

> >

> > I can't see them moving the US Open from finishing on Father's Day.

> > Why not have the tournaments play Wednesday to Saturday once the NFL season starts?

>

> Outside of the northeast college football is a pretty big deal too.

Good point. Which is why what the PGA Tour is doing is smart. Get the big events in before football starts. The fans are telling them through ratings that they don’t watch golf as much when football starts. Some are proposing doing away with the fedex Cup playoffs but I think the playoffs do make the post-major events more interesting and watchable.

I agree with him that it seems like the focus was more for the FedEx Playoffs. But that is all I agree on.

As I have said before I think the move has been a good thing and I actually enjoyed the PGA this year, which is probably an all time first for me.

Let’s face it. As a spectator sport golf is hopeless for year round play. And that’s not really a knock on golf. I personally think every sport has been diminished by extended seasons. It won’t be long the Super Bowl will be in March. You already have the NBA and NHL well into June. And baseball is just ridiculous too. I know it’s all about the money, but as a fan it’s just not good. Even college football can end with I guess 15 games?

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> > > I watched the whole interview last night. It was even more off base than just his quotes. His comments were almost entirely about how a month in between majors isnt enough and it takes him more time and he thinks they need more time between majors. He's either forgotten - or he's ignoring to make some "point" - the fact that there has *always* been approximately one month between "major events" - the four majors and the Players.

> > >

> > > You want more time off, you need more time off, it takes you longer to ramp up...what are you talking about? This is how its always been.

> > >

> > > The PGA can barely get casual golfers interested in the manufactured FedEx Cup when it ended in September. No one cares once college football and the NFL get ramped up. You can hate that but its reality. IMO this was the only move to make.

> > >

> > > The Tour Championship format is still a disaster, thats what he should be whining about.

> > >

> > > I guess I'm in the minority but I love this format. Tour Championship in August. Football gets cranked up. There are a few Fall Season events that I like watching - and then real golf starts again in January.

> >

> > That all depends on where you live. In the south the NFL isn’t really half a big as the north and west coast.

> >

> > College football is huge here. Sure. But. Not until the summer is nearly gone. As in October. I know. I have a wife who is a world class SEC fan. We watch college football every weekend. But that’s one day . But on the flip side. We haven’t watched an NFL game in 10 years. Maybe more.

>

> The season starts in August. The SEC notoriously plays earlier conference games than the rest of the country and their stronger OOC opponent early. Example of First week (August) SEC opponents this year: Miami, Duke, UNC, Georgia/Vandy, Oregon. Second week (September): Purdue, West Virginia, Clemson, Texas, Ole Miss/Arkansas.

>

>

many are highly embarrassed about the 2nd one ...

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > Honestly I thought he sounded like a big complainer for absolutely no reason, sounded like he was trying to throw shade at the FedEx Cup. Sorry man, how did your $10M check do, did it deposit OK? Honestly I dont know what he is whining about. The last three majors of the year have ALWAYS been a month apart. So instead of being June/July/August they are now May/June/July. Shut up already.

>

> Yep. He's talking like the PGA was in October. 3 weeks, that's how much "longer" the old major season was.

No he's not talking like that. Three weeks is a long time in tour land.