2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Tourstriker Planemate

They would get tangled up in the follow through. Not at impact or right after so that’s a bit disingenuous.

But the point is, amateurs who have trouble with steep to shallow and rotating benefit from this. Pros do this already so there’s no real benefit for them in a swing with a full release.

They have such control over impact that roll over at p9/p10 is fine for them. Most with a bad swing will have that rollover at p6-p8, hence the release you’re taught with the PM is to ingrain the right movement through these positions.

But if you want to point to a tour pro who rolls over right after impact, congratulations you found the 0.0001% who can make that a repeatable motion and play on tour. For everyone else, it doesn’t work that way....you know, exception isn’t the rule.

You’re missing the point. They don’t need an exaggerated feel through release because they do it better than anyone else in the world already.

Also, if an amateur swings full speed, they’re likely getting crossed up much earlier - before or at impact. You just see it at the end because that’s when the movement stops. I guarantee you no pro would get crossed up at or before impact.

Go ahead and swing full speed and keep a stable clubface and roll it over right after impact and be able to do it a thousand times in a row. I’ll caddy for no percentage you when you qualify for the US Open.

I don’t think this is true at all. Zero pros don’t have hands ahead of clubhead at and after impact. Every single pro they’ve shown on IG does it just fine. Not sure why you’re continually trying to derail this thread. You don’t find it beneficial except for wedges. We get it. Most people disagree.

Amateurs in general supinate the lead arm much less and much later than pros. That’s a fact. The hold off β€œstable face” being more reliable has been proven a complete myth and damaging to many. I don’t think what the PM forces in transition is bad, but what it forces through the bottom is IMO potentially very bad for amateurs (other than with wedges and knock down short irons.) Is there a certain player that could benefit from learning this hold off move, yes I think so, but the majority will be very steep and across at the bottom with it. Some need more down and left at the bottom, I get that. But much of what I’ve seen posted, the clubhead is way outside the hands at p6, guys hitting big pulls, heels, laid off to steep. I think the device is not a great over the counter option for most. I also think it’s important that this information is out there for those considering dropping the cash and not knowing if it’s right for them.

• Like 1

I’d agree with that but the assumption here, as has been discussed before, is that you need visual feedback/checkpoints along the way to use it as intended. If it had a protocol showing someone with the shaft kicked out at P6, that’d be one thing, but that’s not the case.

Nobody is saying that unchecked it’s going to fix you up. I brought up this exact point months ago.

If people are going to be lazy and expect to strap it on and wait for magic to happen without putting in work and get video feedback that they’re using it as instructed, then I don’t know what to say. Nothing, from the PM to lessons from Butch Harmon, or anything else will never work for you if you’re not willing to actually put in effort to improve.

So, did I miss something. Did we go from the original 5 protocols, to 10 additional protocols, plus an advanced protocol set? I tried to start from scratch today and couldn't find the original 5.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0Β 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Original protocols can be found on the tourstriker planemate page. Like you were going to purchase a new Planemate just scroll down and the videos are listed below towards the bottom of the page.

Β 

As for the other two sets of protocols that deal with hitting with the longer band and your driver. I had to register my planemate on the Tourstriker website to get those videos.

I agree with all of that but I will say that it has more benefits than it’s negatives and that’s rare for a training aid. People love it because it creates feelings they have never felt before. It’s a god send for people with inside takeaways and who have never felt width before. Being insta shallow is something that most have never felt before as well and it eliminates the fear of being that shallow..shallowing opens the clubface and most ams have a open clubface already in transition so the planemate requires you to strengthen the face to hit a good shot.

To me more than anything the function of not getting tangled in the follow thru is teaching you how everything needs to move together and to do that certain things like the face needs to under control in order to do that...the face is the most important and hardest to control.

All of that being said...I personally witnessed the planemate turn Kobe’s top of backswing into a dumpster fire. So obviously he’s quite passionate about this particular subject. I use my homemade version just for 9-3 swings only very rarely..just when my inside takeaway creeps back in a bit.

Moehogan actually cause a epiphany of sorts. The old hogan pistol drill achieves all that the planemate achieves except the width and the forced mega shallowing.

So once you don’t need the planemate for those things you can use the pistol drill to get the same impact and non tangled follow thru. You can do some pretty cool things with this drill, if you need a more vertical shaft at the top just make sure your thumb is pointing straight up. If you want a mega shallow downswing then point your thumb behind you in transition, want max shaft lean then just keep your thumb pointing away from the target forever. You will have to match your pivot to your arm swing just like the planemate.

I agree with this 100%. I think it creates good feels, but it does significantly open the face and lead to pushes and shanks if you are not careful. I will agree it significantly helps the take away, I will even say it helped mine, but as you mentioned, in return it turned my back swing into a dumpster fire. For those who say, I was not diligent enough in my practice is completely wrong. I do mirror work nearly every night and went through all of the protocols. I got down to a +1 this summer before the planemate. Now can it help others, 100%, but I see a ton of people looking worse on Instagram which concerns me. To each their own though. At the end of the day, we all just want to get better.

But that’s the rub isn’t it? If your backswing gets way laid off and your face massively opens when shallowing then you’re doing it wrong. That’s the purpose of training aids is to show that you do it wrong so you learn how to do it right. For me, when I β€œshallow” my face opened MASSIVELY but then it reminded and forced me to get the face under control which I had let slip under the radar as I worked in that a lot previously. So now I returned to the β€œmotorcycle move” in transition and the pieces are falling into place better. The planemate was helping me turn but then my old crap face control didn’t match up to a better shaft position coming down. It’s even shown me my setup balance was getting sloppy. A lot of work ahead and admittedly it’s frustrating at times but I will not give up

It's interesting you mention the motorcycle move, honestly the move the PM promotes mimics Tyler Ferrell's quite a bit , which is why I don't quite get why people think it's promoting something that is overly flat/fade/cut/hold release biased when that stock shot is a small push draw. It's also the hardest thing (for me) to ingrain/change. I was a dumped under dirty hooker for so long it has taken me quite some time to get my body tilts in order, but ultimately started steepening the shaft/opening the face in transition. Enter PM to help shallow correctly with the wrists/pivot while still maintaining proper tilts. But I agree, absolutely not a cure all

β€œDirty hooker” lol. Reminds me of the old Sergio commercial...

I agree with you. All pros have the flexing in the wrist on the way down it’s probably the main separator between good and bad players and not all of them have hold off cut swings. To me I think it looks like a GMAC type move and I think he’s primarily a draw player. It’s not like everyone is going to be like Alex Noren. I disagree with the negative comments about it. I hated it at first because it showed all my flaws, once I stopped crying to myself about how bad I suck, I got to work. It’s not easy I will admit

That's fine to disagree, I just think the people who use it will not be diligent enough to fix their swings and stick with. It takes just as much work as getting a lesson and working on what the instructor said to fix, yet people give up on that as well after a week or two when they don't see immediate results.

That's because this thread is about the planemate and planemate users. It didn't work for you, you moved on, not sure how saying the same thing over and over in here is helping you or anyone else. We all openly admit it's not a magical device that is going to turn your hack slice into a tour level move over night. You need to be diligent with it and it absolutely might be even more useful when paired with lessons (which is why some intructors are now using them during lessons). It's a training aide, not lightning in a bottle

Exactly, it's about the planemate. Which everyone of my comments have referred to. Just an FYI, I was diligent with the thing and others in this thread will say so. Just because I'm not a fan, doesn't mean I'm not allowed to comment. Also, I know people in this thread who do not own it and still comment.Because it's an open thread? I'm giving my opinion just like everyone else in this forum has.

Yes you’ve given you’re opinion. Many times.

I find the irony funny that the reason you think it won’t work for people because they’ll give up and won’t work at it because it’s hard work when that’s what to me seems like what you did. So your opinion is contradictory and not really about the planemate as an aid but about work ethic. Start a thread about that instead maybe??

might be wrong but i think he shared his experience on it so it raises the idea whether this device may even actually be beneficial for most amateurs (who are trying to turn their slice into a draw) in the first place. and based on the progress updates shared by others in the last 40+ pages of this, it does sound like a lot of folks are approaching the ball from the outside. not too surprising because you see similar in many of the instagram reposts done by the guys who made this.

personally, i'd love to see a few folks here post slowmo videos of them hitting a nice center-faced contact push draw with this thing on. and maybe the said folks can share what they might be doing so they can help the guys out who are not getting the same results.

• Like 1

Just like you and KRT have given your opinion.... MANY TIMES.

I used it for a good while and got worse. I can show you videos or you can ask the people on here. Ask MPStrat or Airjammer. I didn't know this form didn't allow criticism, pretty ironic huh? I put in the hard work and I'd say my work ethic is pretty high considering I practice nearly everyday. I'll gladly post my swing for you,if you'd like.

I feel like the PM is really good for a few things and not for others. The protocols are well thought out and specific.

If you were a steep to shallow like I was getting to be it is golden. I feel like post impact to a full finish it is not ideal but nothing is.

Β 

I will save my full judgement of it till I can hit balls outside though.

• Like 1

Do it!

I jumped off the forum for a few days to go practice. Oddly enough, I kept the planemate in the bag and worked on slowing it down but, still use the feels that were incorporated in the first few days of protocols. I never treated a training aid like I'm gonna use it for a full bucket. Hell, Martin Chuck even said to switch between on and off.

One thing I noticed though with my practice yesterday is that I went back to hold habits of pinning my arms against my chest and not turning in the back with which led to some of the nastiest shots. Put the plane mate and pitching band on and realized it immediately with what I was doing. Hit a few. Chipped a few. 10-15 balls later, planemate off and I am having consistent, reliable, compressed shots with the baby draw. I told myself to hit a certain target (3 feet wide circle aluminum sigh) 120 and 100 yards out and I hit them both within 20 or so balls.

I saw another guy at my range with the planemate and he was sending some great shots out there but had maybe a 1 in 3 miss of a shank or just a dead right push. Wrist angles. But the guy never took it off. One club for I'm guessing 40 plus balls.

Moral of the story, boys, it's a training aid. It is not a lesson and it will not drop your cap 20 points in a session. It most definitely is not for everyone but, Woods and Chuck are very smart instructors and made a product that would help the masses out there. The typical golf issues are handsy swings, inside take-away, steep AOA, not shallowing etc. This helps. Doesn't cure. Helps. It's on you to change.

I, for one, am looking forward to playing again this weekend.

• Like 1