Tourstriker Planemate

Idk man - when a thread gets beyond 3 pages, I feel like you get a pass for rehashing old content - PARTICULARLY when the search features have been awful since the forum update. "Have you tried searching" and "Let me google that for you" are tried and true cranky forum idioms, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with "laziness" in this case.

Looking forward to getting the ghost hands sensation for myself.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Another question for folks that have been using the device for a while:

Prior to purchasing the TSPM - how much did you work on similar feels?

Personally, as a 6'3, long limbed, short torso individual who's been and extremely steep flipper for much of my golfing life - I've spent a ton of time working to get shallow and maintain right wrist extension. Many of the feels I've worked to ingrain seem similar to what the TSPM looks to ingrain.

So again, I'm curious - for those who've worked on these things previously - and maybe made good progress - has the TSPM been as eye opening as for those who haven't? Has it led to aha moments - or is it more about feedback reinforcement?

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

First time out on the course. A few things. I’ve not had a lot of time with the planemate outside of basement protocols and a few times hitting planemate with a wedge and then taking 8 iron swings.

Not a good day. I’m not sure what was up but I had many sole hits and a bunch of shots that didn’t get 5 ft in the air. That stated, wedges around the green were greatly improved.

I won’t be giving up as I’ve barely started and I believe this product is going to help over the long haul.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Had mine since October. The only way to make it work is to watch all the protocols and advanced protocols multiple times. You will be surprised at how much more you pick up every time you watch them. You need to hit at least 1000 short punch shots until you have that shot mastered BEFORE moving to the full swing. Either short or long band will work equally well and I would suggest switching back and forth. I have mastered the swing they are teaching and it most definitely works and works very well. Actually makes the game quite easy if you can believe that. Remember it takes a lot of reps to change old ingrained habits. ALOT!

• Like 3

Didn’t even put a number on it, but yeah, the number checks out. My first two weeks with the PlaneMate I basically hit 1,000 balls as I did the first five protocols and then did them all over again the second week. Anytime I don’t touch the PlaneMate for a week I start back at the beginning.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Both your post and @SUNLINE confirm my instinct. Seems like unless you're already making solid contact and just need this to help reinforce an already solid swing, then this is going to take time. It doesn't matter how good the training aid, making real swing changes have to take time and a lot of work. What I think I really like about this one is that it helps you get into the correct positions and doesn't let you cheat. I don't mind putting in the time as long as I know what I'm doing is actually going to make a positive difference. Again, I the jury is still out for myself, but this might really be helpful. I also found a teacher that uses this and am going for a lesson is a couple weeks.

• Like 1

My two cents: (actually one cent for each point) -

1.) I would not recommend referring to the practice protocols as Day One, Day Two, etc because many people will just whip through them all in less than a week. If I was somehow put in charge, I think working through the lessons very slowly and for an extended time (think weeks) before moving on to the next lesson will yield the best results.

2,) I also initially experienced the "ghost hands" effect as others have mentioned. However, as I got the swing pattern ingrained through many reps, this feeling no longer occurs after using the PM. One way perhaps of being able to assess one's progress in getting the swing pattern down.

• Like 1

I really like the way Martin refers to collecting the ball. I’ve always hit at the ball, which occasionally made me snatch from the top. It feels like a leap of faith to let the club drop into the slot and just rotate, but I’m encouraged by early result. I just feel like once I master the technique it is going to do away with so many of the things that caused me problems. Specifically all the manipulation and timing I would need to be on to perform well.

• Like 1

So much to say but I'll try to keep it to one point at a time.

I find new reasons every day why I LOVE THE PLANEMATE! The biggest thing in following the protocols and working through them repeatedly for weeks (started protocol 4 today after over a month's use) is it teaches me more about the swing every day I use it.

Last year on video I noticed my hands were higher and farther from my body at impact than at address. In researching the issue the general consensus was I was trying to shallow the club last minute because I was too steep. After finishing my 30 reps for protocol 4 I was working on the downswing from the top and noticed my arms wanted to pull away from my body which was opening my shoulders and bringing in the clubface way open into impact. Clubface would be open with my hands farther away at impact desperately trying to save the shot by flipping.

When I worked on staying connected from the top and not allowing my arms to pull away from my body the club appeared to shallow on it's own and come square into impact as I rotated to my finished position.

I just cannot say enough good things about this swing aid. I'm super happy that I'm able to work through the protocols slowly before trying to hit full shots on the course every day. I really can't wait for spring though. lol

Cheers!

Got mine today and went through Protocol 1 in its entirety. Great drills and good feedback. Later in the evening, I went back and did Protocol 2, primarily because I'm pretty god awful left handed, 1 handed swings.

For me there was nothing particularly new here as these were basically the first couple lessons I had with my instructor a year or two ago. That said, these were extremely new concepts and feels to me at the time, and are key fundamentals that I are still far from automatic for me. When I think about it in that context, there's a TON of value here, particularly for those who don't have access, or funds for a good pro. For less than the cost of a single lesson (my guy is $175 /hr.), you have something you can consistently go back to and work with.

The issues thus far:

My biggest issue with the thing at this point is the shaft clamp. It tends to twist for me during the course of a session, and seems like it will fail over time. I may be wrong here, but for the price, it feels like the quality is lacking a bit, particularly here.

It's also seems like you have to have some major swing flaws to actually get the band to breakdown in either the back or through swing. That said, I may change my tune when I get to the full swing so this criticism is probably a bit premature.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

For me, I actually experienced a loss of distance initially. I realized I was using a high grip pressure from doing the protocols with the band (tight grip to stabilize against the band stretch), and took this to the course without realizing it. Once I recognized it and relaxed my grip pressure, my old distances came back. I may be finding some small increased distance, because it really promotes a full turn through the ball with the lower body pivot. I love the PlaneMate because it's really helping my accuracy. I'm feeling and understanding face control for the first time in my 10 year golfing journey. Once I take the PM off, I really sense my hands flipping and shutting the face at impact. PM goes back on, do a few reps, and I'm figuring things out.

For the new PM users, I can't emphasize enough how much this is helping me. But, it's a long journey. Nothing will give me an overnight tour swing at this point. I'm a 9 index, and I've been playing for 10 years, having picked up the game in my late 30's. Got my PM in the early January batch, and I've been using it 4-5 sessions per week in my garage, mostly doing the intro 7 Days with the short band. My pitching and partial wedges have improved so much already, and my irons are improving pretty steadily. haven't started to worry about the driver yet...

For reference, my last round I hit the green on every par 3, and was really accurate with a handful of 50ish yard pitches. I just used the patterns I've learned with PM, and it's really simplified things for me. "Just collect the ball"... Shot 81 for the round, in February in the offseason with no chipping or putting since November. I'll take that. But, don't expect overnight results. Think 6 month improvement plan...

• Like 1

Got my PM yesterday, and went through Protocol 1. Experienced the Ghost Hands was quite interesting. My biggest goal with the PM is my short game, greenside chipping and 50 yard and in chipping. I have the distances fairly dialed in, but when I need to go to one of these shorter shots to get up and down, or to stick it close, I struggle at times. But I see where these motions are going to really pay off over time.

TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5 
TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g 6.5
Taylormade P790 UDI Hzrdus Smoke 106.5g 6.5
TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 52* 
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron[/color] Newport 2 35"

I received mine about 10 days ago and got to work immediately. I went through the protocols in order and each for probably 50-60 swings instead of the suggested 30. I would often go back and repeat earlier protocols such as the one arm swings to drill new fundamentals. My biggest issues are being steep through the downswing and chasing my hands down the line with a flip as opposed to having the proper left hand path. It was only yesterday that I brought it out to the range and began hitting balls with it. Unfortunately, the thin metal clasp on the larger green band snapped toward the end of the session. Im really hoping they issue a replacement. Yes, it looked quite cheap and yes it broke on me. Assuming they issue a quick replacement and beef up future editions of the planemate all will be fine. I quickly sent them an email with pictures. Thats the negative. On the positive side I'm seeing a noticeable improvement on my strike consistency and speed. It's going to take a lot more work to flatten out properly through the downswing but the feedback is incredible and I believe it will drastically reduce the learning curve here. I'd like to see a little flatter through the downswing, more open and a bit more side bend with right arm bend at impact but I've already seen a real sizable improvement. Lastly, once I get these areas where I like them I'm looking forward to adding more drive through my left heal close to impact for speed and open up to the target more. Lots to work on and its going to take time however this is a great tool and the instant feedback alone is worth the price of admission... assuming of course the clips last.

Oh, and I should mention that once I advanced into the larger green band I was getting tangled up when chasing those hands down the line. This was happening for me when my swing effort reached the 85-90% range. Great feedback here promoting that left hand path.

• Like 1

You are getting it. Good for you. Guys need to really dig deep to use video to see their issues and work to change. Trust me this takes so long, but the PlaneMate offers a shortcut to the correct swing. It won’t happen over night. Keep at it, don’t give up and go back to what feels comfortable. That the easy way out.

Do you have any before and after if yourself and how long have you had the planemate?

also, to the guy with broken clips I think it’s imperative the plastic part of the clips are on the top as in to clip on the belt and club you must clip down from the top as it takes stress off the metal clip part during the swing. Just a thought.

Gonna post some pictures when I can at various position but after using the planemate i felt like i was making big improvements. I used to (feels good to say used to) bring the club way inside and be a typical early extender w a big loss of distance, a lot of inconsistency and everything else that comes with EE. On a good day, if all the pieces fell into place I could put together a decent round. First round of the year after using the planemate I went out and lost all hope. Was so pissed. I drove the ball really well and then my irons were non existent. Could not hit my irons whatsoever. Even chipping around the green. Everything was coming off the hosel and I was extremely frustrated. I know some old habits would creep in but I did not expect it to go that terribly. So I went home and went back to the basics and hit the range a few days later. At the range everything was still just coming off the hosel. Then a light bulb went off. Since I used to EE, my hands were used to being much further from the body and higher and since i dont EE anymore I really focused on keeping my hands close to the body and low at impact (something I have never felt before) and I could not have hit the ball any better. I was blown away by the flight, the consistency, the pureness and the distance. BACK TO THE GRIND!!!!!!!!!