2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tourstriker Planemate

I ordered mine on June 4th as an early birthday present. It shows as shipped on the same day. I received my tracking number but it still hasn't arrived. Last update was in transit to the next facility on the 9th. I fear it may have gotten lost by USPS but still have my fingers crossed. I know pre-pandemic, Arizona to California was a quick delivery; certainly not 13 days.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Flex the lead wrist in transition- close the club early so you don't have to close it late - shallowing the club opens the face, motorcycle counters it plus avoid having an open face during release which lead to the flip/roll - and also promotes rotation.

an old but really good video on how one must properly manage the club face to facilitate rotation, etc.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyxoQk6CP4to accelerate a motorcycle one extends the wrist - so flexing is reverse motorcycle - though most folks just call it the motorcycle move and the reverse is left as understood. It is the lead wrist not the trail wrist.

Dana helps the student do the move at the 4:29 mark of the video.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Yes there will be some trail wrist response and some do the move via the trail wrist. Typically a small bit of lead wrist unhinge with the move too. And getting the trail wrist extended in the backswing is more important than worrying about how the lead wrist appears at the top - lead wrist appearance at top of swing is a function of trail wrist extending and relative strength of hands in grip

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

This shows what the wrists should do in the down swing when training with the PM. They show something similar in the driver video in the Plane Mate protocols. At first you might hook the ball because your club face feels so closed but gradually you will start to open your body more which will square up the face.

Got my Planemate this past Thursday and have worked through all of the protocols at home in my living room. By the time I had gotten to the pitch motion I knew this aid was going to be very useful for my swing. I used to be a member of Gankas's orginal site and was heavily interested in the 9 to 3 thread when Slicefixer used to post around here. So I've been trying to work towards shallowing and a more pivot-driven release for a few years now. The Planemate gives me a lot of the feels I used to have when trying to do the Gankas stuff; specifically the standing up the shaft in the backswing. One of my keys was to emulate Jim Furyk and this device is giving me the feedback that I was in fact on the right path.

I've used the long green band a few times but in my opinion you can make a ton of improvement just working with the pitch band. My biggest flaw is making a flat shoulder turn which can affect low point control when I'm off. The Planemate seems to force my trail shoulder more up in the backswing which gets the stretch in the band and gets me to tilt properly.

Went to the range for the first time last night after doing a lot of reps the past couple of days. I wasn't expecting too much because I have been swinging fairly well and didn't think I would notice a huge difference in the short time working with the device. I was wrong! I was making fairly easy swings trying to mimic the feel, not really focusing on contact and everything just felt good. The consistency of swing, strike, and dispersion were just amazing. I'd consider myself a decent ballstriker and find the middle fairly consistently but this was a new level. Most shots were dead straight with minimal to no curve. It felt like I had gotten a new level of control over my ball. I think with extensive use, the days when I just completely lose my swing will become non-existent. I also see the potential to pick up some yards the more accustomed I get to the motion. I pretty much hit 3/4 shots just to get the feel and was getting my normal distance or a hair more.

My biggest takeaways from the session were that the planemate will greatly reduce the inconsistency from swing to swing and can greatly reduce the learning curve for anyone trying to learn a more pivot driven/body release type of swing. I haven't read this whole thread but I'm sure others have stated that you need a solid understanding of what you're trying to do with your golf swing and what pre-recquisites need to be met before you can get the most out of this aid. For instance, my last three balls of the day I was pretty tired in the 100* heat and didn't pivot my hips properly, proceeded to shank those last three. Have to get that trail hip deep to make this move work. I love this tool and plan to use it every day to refine my swing. I just hope the clips hold up for a decent amount of time. On a side note, If you're on the slimmer side the belt can be a bit loose. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents.

• Like 1

New user/first post! As a relatively new golfer and perpetual-flipper, I'm stuck on protocol 3. The process of not only shallowing the club, but rotating through the ball, is completely foreign. Having said that, when I execute the moves correctly, the feeling of contact is entirely different than what I'm used to. I'm trying to consistently execute the move before I move on to the next stage, but this is really challenging my muscle memory.

Got my Planemate a week ago and here's my 2 cents. So far its been the best training aid I've ever used. I've managed to get by with my athleticism to a decent handicap but I always knew I wasn't swinging the club the way it should be. Hopefully by the end it does what its intented to do: ingrain my muscle memory to swing the club using rotation and pivot.

Been very helpful so far. Just the takeaway that puts my lead shoulder where it needs to be has been worth the money alone. I've been striking the ball much better with just this concept so far.

For those who are struggling with protocol 3, this was tough to grasp for me at first as well, but I applied a method my instructor taught me a while back for transition and it worked for me. Squeezing in the right elbow slightly to the left one can help lay the club down. It takes away from thinking about the hands and it seems to make the club feel heavier. This worked for me, might not for you but thought I'd share.

I'm about a 20 handicap. I really want to get my game better since I joined a club this year. I've been told my swings looks pretty good and I should be scoring much better. I can also hit some amazing shots...I'm just horribly inconsistent. I can't decide whether to get one of these or get a few lessons. I can probably get the range once a week and get one round in a week between work and my little ones. I figure with one of these I can do some protocols at home.

For the first time in my life, I know what lag feels like in the golf swing thanks to the PM. I spent every night the past week working on advanced protocol 3. It's still hard to connect with the impact portion but if I keep working at it, I'm sure I'll get there. People think if they buy this thing it'll magically solve their swing, but you gotta put the time and the work in too.

@hamez3 I think it depends on your awareness level and how much focus you have executing each protocol. I use my PM exclusively at home mainly because I don't want to haul a bunch of gear to the range. I can definitely feel the changes slowly being ingrained and my feels for my backswing are a bit different now. The umbrella move feels incorrect but the results tell me otherwise. All of that being said, on the course I can still get quick from the top and hit a block fade OB under pressure. But this is a long term project so I wasn't expecting to have a tour caliber swing overnight.

I know a lot of instructors say you can make swing changes more rapidly without a ball to give you negative feedback but every individual is different.