Tourstriker Planemate

10 minutes ago, shanx said:

It works. I just did protocol 1 last night, and I can already feel a significant difference. My takeaway was not good, even though I thought I was going straight back. I experienced the little pains from using different sets of muscles, also found out that my hips do not rotate enough. Got the "ghost hands" too.

I have been trying to "clear the body for the arms" for months, after getting takeaway set and moving my hips more, it happens naturally, it seems.

Can't wait to hit balls now!

Don't forget to keep the club face closed/square when you go to the range!

12 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

Don't forget to keep the club face closed/square when you go to the range!

So, yeah, I flared more than a few right after I warmed up. It was a bit weird, but I straightened it out. Didn't really hit full shots, as I just wanted to focus on solid contact.

I'm still stalling on the body turn part, and will need to strap it on again to keep the takeaway straight, but progress was made..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hesitate to pile on a 63 page thread, but here goes...?

I completed 7 day protocol and hit balls for the first time today.  (I hit some pine cones in back yard during protocol, but no actual balls...)

I open face slapped (borderline s****ed) about 20 half-pitches, and was about to give up.  Out of desperation I switched to full shots with the bands, and still open face wiped my PW, but slightly improved.

I watched my reflection in a window and realized I was too obsessed with the “up” in the BS, and wasn’t getting deep enough.   (“Up” is great, but you still need to turn the shoulders and get deep!). Once I made this adjustment, my shallowing actually got the club on an inside-square-inside path and I started striping it!  Both with and without the bands.

Interestingly, driver was easier for me than mid irons, probably because it gave me the most time and space to get shallow.  Very encouraged by driver!

So yeah, I’m all in on this device; it is tremendously helpful.

My focus now is to debug the short shots.  Very odd that my pitching motion is giving me more trouble than full shots.  I assume it’s the opposite for almost everyone else.

And ghost hands are cool!!!

Thanks for turning me on to the PM.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jc_kidd said:

I hesitate to pile on a 63 page thread, but here goes...?

I completed 7 day protocol and hit balls for the first time today.  (I hit some pine cones in back yard during protocol, but no actual balls...)

I open face slapped (borderline s****ed) about 20 half-pitches, and was about to give up.  Out of desperation I switched to full shots with the bands, and still open face wiped my PW, but slightly improved.

I watched my reflection in a window and realized I was too obsessed with the “up” in the BS, and wasn’t getting deep enough.   (“Up” is great, but you still need to turn the shoulders and get deep!). Once I made this adjustment, my shallowing actually got the club on an inside-square-inside path and I started striping it!  Both with and without the bands.

Interestingly, driver was easier for me than mid irons, probably because it gave me the most time and space to get shallow.  Very encouraged by driver!

So yeah, I’m all in on this device; it is tremendously helpful.

My focus now is to debug the short shots.  Very odd that my pitching motion is giving me more trouble than full shots.  I assume it’s the opposite for almost everyone else.

And ghost hands are cool!!!

Thanks for turning me on to the PM.

I was in the same boat in regard to short shots. I had instant success with the full swing but the short game was not clicking. I will say that my short game has always been my biggest weakness. Give it time, the band work will start bleeding over into pitches and bunker shots. I've been putting in reps everyday for close to two months and am just now seeing long pitches clean up and get a shallow strike. The more you try to "collect the ball" and get to the ghost arm follow through position, the faster your results will come. Take the hands out of short shots as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, DonRSD said:

How is everyones length with the Planemate....shorter/same/longer?

Only 2 weeks in, so take this as early days...

90% effort PM swing goes as far as my “all out” prior swing.

I haven’t gone all out yet on PM swing.  Afraid I will lose the structure.  In time I will try to amp it up a bit, but only if I can keep integrity of the swing.

The trajectory of the PM swing is superior.  Compressed, with a more boring flight, and softer landing.  It is delicious when executed well.

i have a slight fade with PM swing.  Previous flippy swing was hooky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took it off and put it aside. It helped my initial takeaway, and I am hitting the ball better, but not with any consistency.

Had a terrible round where I just could not hit an approach shot, I was slinging the arms again. Putting it on and doing the first few protocols quickly got the lower body back into the swing.

I haven't gone past protocol 3, I really don't want to start working on full swings with it on until the offseason hits and I can just focus on getting the full swing down with it.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:57 PM, Eric12 said:

Hi all

could anyone with a planemate let me know how long the bungees are?

I’m a student so can’t afford it new so trying to build my own! Happy to share pics and instructions once I’ve built mine.

many thanks in advance!!

20" on long bands

12" on short band.

Good luck! I've seen some creative DIYs

On 9/5/2020 at 11:31 PM, naj959 said:

I was in the same boat in regard to short shots. I had instant success with the full swing but the short game was not clicking. I will say that my short game has always been my biggest weakness. Give it time, the band work will start bleeding over into pitches and bunker shots. I've been putting in reps everyday for close to two months and am just now seeing long pitches clean up and get a shallow strike. The more you try to "collect the ball" and get to the ghost arm follow through position, the faster your results will come. Take the hands out of short shots as much as possible.

That's seems to be the theme. People fight it initially and then seem to have a breakthrough. Let's face it, changing a pattern is really hard. 

• Like 1

Very true...

I’m starting to get the hang of the pitching motion.  For me, the “lead arm only” drill in Protocol 2 has been really helpful.  It really isolates the motion of  bringing the handle around to the left in sync w/ the lead hip during the pivot.  So much so that when I go back to 2 hands, I’m using a double overlap grip to maintain the lead arm focus.

Great stuff!

Spent a couple days on protocol 3, and then doing 3/4 swings attempting to replicate the shallowing motion without the band.  Already starting to see some shallowing.  If I posted a "before" clip, you'd see the club thrown out OTT, and early released.  Now, the shaft is approaching coverage of my trail forearm.  Note this is a practice ball (crumpled up paper ball) in my basement..lol.  Still feel the tendency to want to sling it, but trying to overcome that with pivot.  And this might be pushed and thinned, but it's the motion i'm really focused on.  Any feedback welcome, always looking for another set of eyes!

swing.thumb.gif.5b152c6a05f068850da8e53b49fe0174.gif

Edited by jc_kidd
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an update I've had this for about 6 months and its 100% helped my ball striking.  I did the 7 day protocol as specified and continue to review by incorporating the 1 arm swings and pitching motion into my warmup for each practice session.  I use the planemate at each practice session and while its still a work in progress the results speak for themselves.  I started the season at a .2 and my current index is +1.1 with minimal, if any, improvement in my putting stats.  Gonna really focus on this soon!  My tendencies are to get steep at the top of the BS as well as chase after the ball with my hands instead of exiting left.  The planemate addresses both of these head on and I'm beginning to develop a swing that stands up to pressure much better.  It's a work in progress though and I still have a long way to go but this is a fantastic tool.  I've noticed that when you really clear the left hip and open up well its much easier for those hands to exit left.  This has helped a ton.  For anyone on the fence I definitely recommend this.  

• Like 2

I'd love to see some progress swings of fellow PM users. I think it would be a nice addition to the reviews and instructional tips in this thread. I don't want to derail, so if need be a new progress thread could be created.

I had stalled in my progress by my second month and was not striking the ball as crisply as when I first started the protocols. I finally decided to take the darn thing out to the range and hit actual golf balls. All I can say is wow! This tool is so much more effective when you're hitting real balls. I think you can cheat the movements making dry rehearsals but you either stripe it of miss terribly hitting a ball. Took me about 5 clankers before I got the hang of it and hit some solid half shots off a tee. Results were immediate. I started striping my 5 iron with a very shallow divot and added speed. Looked like I picked up 10 yards just quieting down the body in the backswing and rotating more through impact. Guess I'll be ''that guy' at the range swinging with a training aid from now on.

Also I think Monte's No Turn Cast 2.0 drills work very well as intents or feels when you take the PM off. The strike felt sooo good last night.

• Like 1

Ive been enjoying this for a few months but took a break from the irons for 3 weeks while i waited for new clubs. really going to hit this hard in the offseason to keep the muscle memory. For me, remembering the relax and getting that feel down is key. Either that, or i need to use a one plane swing to keep me from the OTT move.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

Well, I haven’t read through all 63 pages but a few months ago I bought one with hopes it would help me better overall. I watched the videos and tried to duplicate what I was being told. Wow...my swing has turned to literal crap. I’ve lost about 20 yards of distance with all my clubs now. From what I can tell, on the downswing I’m coming so far from the inside I’m either scooping, thinning or just flat out hitting 3 inches behind the ball. A stock 7 iron before plane mate was 160-165. Now I’m barely flying a 7 iron 140 in the air. Not one ball is compressed. I’m beyond lost and have no idea how to fix it. I’ve sold the planemate because it makes me physically sick to think what I did. LOL. I was a 4 handicap with decent distance and accuracy but I was trying to get over that hump. I wanted that extra something. For the last 4 months though I’ve wanted to quit golf altogether. I’m not sure how to fix this damn swing flaw I have. I wanted to LOVE this thing, but I’m scared to use any swing training tool to help me now. I’m tried over exaggerating coming over the top but I can’t do it. Wedges are pathetic. 100 out and I’m having to try and bump an iron up and on the green. 

finally had enough and went to the range, placed two tees in the ground and tried just 9 to 3 drills on hitting ball then turf. I hit ball after ball and just couldn’t get myself to hit ONE that went ball then turf with compression. Probably 200 balls hit and nothing. I’m beyond lost now. 

thankfully I have a tournament next weekend that I’ve been trying to get ready for and now I know I’ll get DFL 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Crashhays
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I think a thing that can be overlooked is the need to have proper hip movement in the downswing. I was frustrated with the planemate and mostly gave up on it because the moves weren't working for me. After looking at a video of my swing, I noticed that I dont have enough space for a shallowed shaft in the downswing, which was causing absolute horrid shanks.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 9:43 PM, Crashhays said:

Well, I haven’t read through all 63 pages but a few months ago I bought one with hopes it would help me better overall. I watched the videos and tried to duplicate what I was being told. Wow...my swing has turned to literal crap. I’ve lost about 20 yards of distance with all my clubs now. From what I can tell, on the downswing I’m coming so far from the inside I’m either scooping, thinning or just flat out hitting 3 inches behind the ball. A stock 7 iron before plane mate was 160-165. Now I’m barely flying a 7 iron 140 in the air. Not one ball is compressed. I’m beyond lost and have no idea how to fix it. I’ve sold the planemate because it makes me physically sick to think what I did. LOL. I was a 4 handicap with decent distance and accuracy but I was trying to get over that hump. I wanted that extra something. For the last 4 months though I’ve wanted to quit golf altogether. I’m not sure how to fix this damn swing flaw I have. I wanted to LOVE this thing, but I’m scared to use any swing training tool to help me now. I’m tried over exaggerating coming over the top but I can’t do it. Wedges are pathetic. 100 out and I’m having to try and bump an iron up and on the green. 

finally had enough and went to the range, placed two tees in the ground and tried just 9 to 3 drills on hitting ball then turf. I hit ball after ball and just couldn’t get myself to hit ONE that went ball then turf with compression. Probably 200 balls hit and nothing. I’m beyond lost now. 

thankfully I have a tournament next weekend that I’ve been trying to get ready for and now I know I’ll get DFL 🤦🏻‍♂️

Are you dropping the right shoulder to shallow the club? that would be the first place I would look. If you drop the right shoulder You will be too far under the plane and the path will be extremely in to out. Club will bottom out too soon and you'll either block it off the planet or flip the clubface closed and hit hooks depending on the face orientation.

I love the planemate but IMO you really have to want to learn about the golf swing to get the most out of it. Understanding the pieces and how they fit together is just as important as feeling the movements. I think the average Am or feel based players won't get as much benefit using the device.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hamez3 said:

I think a thing that can be overlooked is the need to have proper hip movement in the downswing. I was frustrated with the planemate and mostly gave up on it because the moves weren't working for me. After looking at a video of my swing, I noticed that I dont have enough space for a shallowed shaft in the downswing, which was causing absolute horrid shanks.

Spot on! I'd add that the hips have to work properly in the backswing in order to work properly in the downswing. Pivot correctly in the BS and the hips will react and clear in the DS if you transition properly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, Miker20890 said:

Buying it used, can you still register and get the advanced protocols if the product hasn’t been registered before?

On 10/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, Golfbeat said:

Yes you can still register, I bought it from eBay. 

Thanks!

I was given a used one yesterday and was wondering about this.