2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tourstriker Planemate

> @LeftyBobby said:

> Got mine recently after seeing it on TXG. _Really_ like this so far.

> Question for y'all that have it: do you find the belt sliding up your waist to your abs once you get to about 3/4 of a swing? It's on nice and snug to start but as soon as my right arm (I'm a lefty) gets parallel, the belts slides up to my abs. I'm thin (30" waist) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

You can shorten the belt a bit...look at the unboxing video on the site, near the beginning. Otherwise, make sure that you put the belt on over your pants belt?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

> Got mine recently after seeing it on TXG. _Really_ like this so far.

> Question for y'all that have it: do you find the belt sliding up your waist to your abs once you get to about 3/4 of a swing? It's on nice and snug to start but as soon as my right arm (I'm a lefty) gets parallel, the belts slides up to my abs. I'm thin (30" waist) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I've also got a 30" waist and asked Tourstriker, and he suggested just to move the club attachment closer to the head, until there is tension in the band. I still haven't dropped the cash on one of these yet, but have asked him plenty of questions.

I'm a 33" waist and I do feel like I have to cinch the belt really tight. It doesn't slide around when I'm swinging, but if I bend over at all it'll push up onto my stomach. So I am kind of regularly pushing it back down onto my waist. It's a little annoying.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Just watched all the protocols - very unsure.

By keeping band taught on back swing (& then follow through) does it increase tension in arms? My aim is to relax arms as much as possible.

Also Not too sure about their pronounced shallowing action (is it a sort of looping action?) - + this seems to be taught by the planemate by simply being reliant on the tension in the band being relaxed at the transition - I understand the reasoning but seems a bit simplistic and could it result in incorrect transition that could give the same feeling of the band losing tension?

Wonder if anyone bought this and resigned it to the cupboard?

> @Nickc said:

> Just watched all the protocols - very unsure.

> By keeping band taught on back swing (& then follow through) does it increase tension in arms? My aim is to relax arms as much as possible.

> Also Not too sure about their pronounced shallowing action (is it a sort of looping action?) - + this seems to be taught by the planemate by simply being reliant on the tension in the band being relaxed at the transition - I understand the reasoning but seems a bit simplistic and could it result in incorrect transition that could give the same feeling of the band losing tension?

> Wonder if anyone bought this and resigned it to the cupboard?

The only way you will know is by trying it.

Personally, it has worked for me great so far and it has even helped fix a few other issues for free. I now turn, pivot, and rotate much better. It has fixed or at least is starting to improve my overly flat backswing. Last it has helped me develop width and proper shallowing of the club in transition with ease. I'm only half way through the protocols so I am excited to see where this keeps going.

Golf is a game of experimentation and experience, if you're apprehensive to do either you will never improve.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> As anybody seen and improvement in early extension or believe that the PM can help eliminate early extension? Thx.

It will probably go down as the greatest invention for inside takeaway and being laid off. If you early extend because you steepen the shaft in transition due to those two reasons it’s phenomenal.

Bitten the bullet - will report back and let you all know my 2 pennies worth

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Nickc said:

> > Just watched all the protocols - very unsure.

> > By keeping band taught on back swing (& then follow through) does it increase tension in arms? My aim is to relax arms as much as possible.

> > Also Not too sure about their pronounced shallowing action (is it a sort of looping action?) - + this seems to be taught by the planemate by simply being reliant on the tension in the band being relaxed at the transition - I understand the reasoning but seems a bit simplistic and could it result in incorrect transition that could give the same feeling of the band losing tension?

> > Wonder if anyone bought this and resigned it to the cupboard?

>

> The only way you will know is by trying it.

>

> Personally, it has worked for me great so far and it has even helped fix a few other issues for free. I now turn, pivot, and rotate much better. It has fixed or at least is starting to improve my overly flat backswing. Last it has helped me develop width and proper shallowing of the club in transition with ease. I'm only half way through the protocols so I am excited to see where this keeps going.

>

> Golf is a game of experimentation and experience, if you're apprehensive to do either you will never improve.

Think it is a bit expensive to just give it a try.

My impression (possibly wrong) is until they get to the shallowing bit it is the 9 to 3 drill with a rubber band attached + as said not too sure of how they demonstrate their shallowing move as being the only way + still think could do it wrong and get that release of tension in the band.

But will leave it to those who have it to further review as admittedly to date all very positive about its value.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Nickc said:

> > Just watched all the protocols - very unsure.

> > By keeping band taught on back swing (& then follow through) does it increase tension in arms? My aim is to relax arms as much as possible.

> > Also Not too sure about their pronounced shallowing action (is it a sort of looping action?) - + this seems to be taught by the planemate by simply being reliant on the tension in the band being relaxed at the transition - I understand the reasoning but seems a bit simplistic and could it result in incorrect transition that could give the same feeling of the band losing tension?

> > Wonder if anyone bought this and resigned it to the cupboard?

>

> The only way you will know is by trying it.

>

> Personally, it has worked for me great so far and it has even helped fix a few other issues for free. I now turn, pivot, and rotate much better. It has fixed or at least is starting to improve my overly flat backswing. Last it has helped me develop width and proper shallowing of the club in transition with ease. I'm only half way through the protocols so I am excited to see where this keeps going.

>

> Golf is a game of experimentation and experience, if you're apprehensive to do either you will never improve.

Seems a bit expensive to just give it a try.

Looking at the protocols until they get to the shallowing bit just seems like the 9 to 3 drill with a rubber band attached.

But will bow out and let those who have bought it to further review. Admittedly all positive up to now!

> @carrera said:

> > @LeftyBobby said:

> > Got mine recently after seeing it on TXG. _Really_ like this so far.

> > Question for y'all that have it: do you find the belt sliding up your waist to your abs once you get to about 3/4 of a swing? It's on nice and snug to start but as soon as my right arm (I'm a lefty) gets parallel, the belts slides up to my abs. I'm thin (30" waist) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

> You can shorten the belt a bit...look at the unboxing video on the site, near the beginning. Otherwise, make sure that you put the belt on over your pants belt?

I watched that video more times that I'd like to admit lol. It didn't help..but I'll tell you what did: I watched some other random plantemate videos on his tourstriker youtube page and found one where he says he'd rather have us error lower than higher. So I moved it more down on my butt more and it's worked perfectly since. That, and I graduated to the full swing band, which I also think has helped.

Haven't gotten mine yet but I've watched the 7 day vids many times. I've been trying to practice what I think the planemate should do for me as far as the take away and the shallowing feel, and today I scored the 5th best score on the Trackman combine at my club. Scored a 73 which is roughly an index of 4 (pro's allegedly score in the 80s). My index all year has been 12... :-0

Now can this teach me to not 3 stab....??? XD

• Like 2

> @"i*windows" said:

> > Got mine recently after seeing it on TXG. _Really_ like this so far.

> > Question for y'all that have it: do you find the belt sliding up your waist to your abs once you get to about 3/4 of a swing? It's on nice and snug to start but as soon as my right arm (I'm a lefty) gets parallel, the belts slides up to my abs. I'm thin (30" waist) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

> I've also got a 30" waist and asked Tourstriker, and he suggested just to move the club attachment closer to the head, until there is tension in the band. I still haven't dropped the cash on one of these yet, but have asked him plenty of questions.

>

> @MaineMariner said:

> I'm a 33" waist and I do feel like I have to cinch the belt really tight. It doesn't slide around when I'm swinging, but if I bend over at all it'll push up onto my stomach. So I am kind of regularly pushing it back down onto my waist. It's a little annoying.

I figured it out for me - moving the belt more around my butt. If you go to the tour striker youtube page and search "planemate" there's a few videos and in one of the videos he mentions that if we're going to error, error having the belt too low.

I'm not one who buys into training aids all that much, but for me, this was well worth the money. I would call this a game-changer.

• Like 1

> @airjammer said:

> > @LowAndLeft32 said:

> > As anybody seen and improvement in early extension or believe that the PM can help eliminate early extension? Thx.

>

> It will probably go down as the greatest invention for inside takeaway and being laid off. If you early extend because you steepen the shaft in transition due to those two reasons it’s phenomenal.

>

>

Worth every cent for feedback on inside takeaway for me. Love it

• Like 3

Had mine a week - here's my initial impressions

**Problem:**

Have always taken it inside, low, shut and flat - and nothing has been able to fix that - I've had lessons with some of the best and they either haven't seen it as an issue or haven't been able to fix it. I've always wanted to fix it because practice swings feel more roomy and less goat humpy and frankly it's always irritated me I can't replicate something as simple as an on-plane takeaway when I have a ball in front of me.

I don't really have any key issues with ball flight or contact but I suffer greatly with inconsistency which I attribute (or at least want to rule out) as being the inside shut flat backswing. I am talking -3 on the front, +9 on the back kind of golf. Many birdies and just as many doubles and trebs.

Not looking for or expecting magic transformations, I just want my bad shots to be a bit less bad.

Current index is 6

**The Panemate**

So I ordered the Planemate last week, arrived in 2 days. I don't think the cost is prohibitive for something that helps your game, but I think because it's a very simple training aid, people see it as expensive "for what it is" if that makes sense. Ultimately it's a belt with a loop and a bungee cord - things most of us have in our garages and I think that's a mental sticking point for a lot of people because they see the raw materials and think they could piece this together at home or for $15 in China.

I get that but I think you need to look past that and see it as a tool, no different to a driver really. If most people saw the raw manufacturing costs of a modern driver or even an iPhone they'd be shocked - but it's harder to visualise because they are more complex designs we think we can't put from stuff in a local hardware store. Yet they have the same costs of manufacturing, marketing, shipping, packaging, advertising, support and of course some margin to make it profitable.

Anyway, this thing is really well made, the belt is large, thick and great quality - the loop on it is held down with massive rivets - this isn't some cheap Chinese job, it's very well made.

Packaging and the website/branding in general is a bit "no frills" (I run a design agency and that's the first thing I'd address) but I think the guys have such a good rep in the industry that this doesn't really matter as much as it would with a start-up trying to gain traction; but commercially I think this would help justify the cost to those on the fence. Perceived cost is a big influencer.

For me personally I brought into the guys behind it more than anything - having owned other Tourstriker products helped but also the great videos by Mr Chuck and Mr Woods and their obvious genuine desire and passion for golf along with the reviews made it a no-brainer to at least try in my mind.

Make no mistake, this thing is popular, you'll have no problem selling it used.

**Results**

So as I say, it's only been 7 days - in fact I have only done 4 days of protocols, but I have done Martin Chuck's Knudson drill where you just follow through each day.

I hit a lot of shanks at first doing the full swing, but could feel the swing was very different. For me personally I really feel the benefit at P2 and P3 - P3 a bit of an eye-open for me as usually the clubhead is way behind my hands with zero tension.

Day 1 on video was about as "on plane" as I have been in my life, that gave me great confidence.

It's given me a mental picture of the swing that is very different to what I had before, and whilst it's hard to describe, for me that's worth the cost of the device alone and I haven't even got through all the protocols.

As mentioned my scoring has been wildly inconsistent - who buys training aids when they are flushing it? Right? Well I have played 5 times since swinging the Planemate and my scores read as follows.

Round #1 (9 Holes) +1

Round #2 (9 Holes) +2

Round #3 (18 Holes) +7

Round #4 (18 Holes) +3

Round #5 (9 Holes) +0

It's a cliche, and I hate hearing it, but honestly round 3 was about as bad a putting round as I have had, new course with very different speed to what I usually play. Could have been a special day. C'est la vie.

One huge benefit I have found is with chipping - my pace and consistency is vastly improved - possibly due to the Knudson drill - my up and down's are dramatically better than pre-purchase.

All in all, I will continue to test it, but so far it's looking sweet for me and I fully recommend it.

Will post video before & after once I've had it for a bit longer.

• Like 1

Ordered yesterday at 4:00pm

Email saying had got my order at 9:24PM

Delivered today 11:30am

Impressive and i took the free delivery option - UK based

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

I know people are complaining about the price but for me this thing is about the same price as 2 lessons or a couple rounds at a decent track. Very often when I take a lesson it stays w me only a week or two. With this thing I can pull it out any time I want and my best learning’s are self taught.

Mine arrives today.

> @Kennybg said:

> This seems to have been well received and I'm very interested, although like many I'm put off by the price. I have however ordered the cheaper Tour Striker Smart Ball which seems to address similar swing issues. For anyone who has used both, what does the Planemate do for your swing which the Smart Ball doesn't?

It’s already been said, it’s the instant feedback. The smart ball is great (I have one), but you can get away with cheating a tad and it doesn’t influence the shaft like the planemate.

I thought it would be MUCH easier to just start swinging with this thing. After doing the first two protocols a few times, I snapped on the full swing band as I figured I would see how much progress I had made. With the full swing band, I'm seemingly doing alright until I get to the follow through, where I get all kinds of tangled up. Back to protocol number 2...

I consider this to be a good thing. This is not a quick fix device, and it's going to take actual effort to improve. I can get through protocols 1 and 2 fine, but when it comes to the right-handed one-armed swings... well, I need work.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

> @mm2983 said:

> Can anyone comment on how the tool effects the transition? I tend to come in very shallow (dew sweeper) and therefore put a lot of loft on the ball. Will this help out to get me steeper into the ball?

Yes. I have the same issue, coming in too shallow is typically a result of either 1) Getting too shallow/flat in the back swing and/or then steepening the shaft/tilting/early extending which stalls rotation ,both of which it can help with.

> @"Ping Zings" said:

> Does it put much stain on the left shoulder?

I'm thinking the one handed lead arm drill with the short band is going to stress some deltoids. I would say if you can hold a 4 pound weight, arm horizontal with palm down it would be equivalent to the stress of that drill. Just guessing here.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

How much tension do you find you have in your forearms? I've got the short band about 4 inches down the shaft and I definitely find I have to grip pretty tight. I think I'm able to relax again when I take it off but I'm wondering if I have it too tight to start with?

First session at the range last night and I could definitely see the improvement from doing the early drills at home with no ball.