2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @gators78 said:

> Ordered the 4i MMC and 5-W in MB with KBS $ Taper X just in time for the 20* weather. Pure.

Ahaha. Love it. I might get a 4i MMC depending on how I find the blade 4 which I didn't have before. Finally worked this out so I can build with my shaft of choice. Committed to playing this for the entire season. Stoked.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

>

> Maybe for some reason he wants just a touch more offset or sole width or maybe a hair more launch? I never hit the MMC as a lefty, but just based on looks I imagine it may launch a little higher at the very least? Perhaps he's pretty steep or something... who knows. This *is* a guy who hits balls down at his local range on a mat, soooooo anything goes for him.

The guy who fit me said "you're quick and you're hitting middle so don't bother with MMC" when I asked. That's why I was surprised to see EP playing them. Now, those guys often fight spin and the blade could just be spinning up on him too much. I definitely experienced that with the $ Taper. I'm installing Tour Issue X100s in these, so that should hopefully keep things a little lower. X100 gave me the best results when testing in the Tour head vs PX 6.5, Modus 120x, $ Taper 130x, and C Taper 130x. The C Taper definitely kills the spin, so if I find I'm having problems I'll try to find a set of S+ to put in. I just found that for whatever reason my contact and low point were much better with X100 vs all other options. Hopefully my swing doesn't deteriorate too much over winter and leave me regretting going the blade. I was not swinging well when I tested them outdoors and I found them to be weirdly forgiving...

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > Interested to see that Eddie Pepperell has gone to the MMC. I’d assume he’d be in the blade all day long. I still need to try the MMC. The 785 is just too big to my eye despite feeling amazing. I think I’m going to do some sort of Mizuno iron for next season whether it’s MB all the way through MMC/MB, or 919 Tour.

> >

> > Maybe for some reason he wants just a touch more offset or sole width or maybe a hair more launch? I never hit the MMC as a lefty, but just based on looks I imagine it may launch a little higher at the very least? Perhaps he's pretty steep or something... who knows. This *is* a guy who hits balls down at his local range on a mat, soooooo anything goes for him.

>

> The guy who fit me said "you're quick and you're hitting middle so don't bother with MMC" when I asked. That's why I was surprised to see EP playing them. Now, those guys often fight spin and the blade could just be spinning up on him too much. I definitely experienced that with the $ Taper. I'm installing Tour Issue X100s in these, so that should hopefully keep things a little lower. X100 gave me the best results when testing in the Tour head vs PX 6.5, Modus 120x, $ Taper 130x, and C Taper 130x. The C Taper definitely kills the spin, so if I find I'm having problems I'll try to find a set of S+ to put in. I just found that for whatever reason my contact and low point were much better with X100 vs all other options. Hopefully my swing doesn't deteriorate too much over winter and leave me regretting going the blade. I was not swinging well when I tested them outdoors and I found them to be weirdly forgiving...

That's what I'm saying!! Oddly forgiving for being a mb. Hitting the 5i for me put to 190 carry is spot on pure ball for me and my thin bullets still got out to 178 carry. I can't imagine GI irons doing that much better.

Just ordered the MP20 SEL HMB 3 iron. I'll now have the complete set. Ordered the 5-pw, then 2 weeks later the 4 iron. Yesterday I decided to complete the set with the 3.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @lefty1978 said:

> Just ordered the MP20 SEL HMB 3 iron. I'll now have the complete set. Ordered the 5-pw, then 2 weeks later the 4 iron. Yesterday I decided to complete the set with the 3.

You won’t regret it! The SEL set is almost the perfect blend. I have not been able his happy with a combo set since the Titleist 735cm!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Sold my 6-pw lefty set. I was making solid contact but found myself hitting a lot of shots right. I’ve found blades to be much easier to turn over...if you struggle with being a bit too handsy like me you could have an issue. I probably could have adjusted but I simply don’t play enough to warrant the maneuverability of a blade.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @golfinguru11 said:

> Sold my 6-pw lefty set. I was making solid contact but found myself hitting a lot of shots right. I’ve found blades to be much easier to turn over...if you struggle with being a bit too handsy like me you could have an issue. I probably could have adjusted but I simply don’t play enough to warrant the maneuverability of a blade.

Though the narrow sole does make it a bit easier to hit shots offline due to increased workability, I’d say you losing it right was more a shaft thing. As a righty using the $Taper 130x I found it very hard to turn over. That’s why I’m going back to X100. KBS is notoriously hard to turn over and is a good shaft for hookers. I generally hit a baby draw with irons and I couldn’t adjust to hitting a slight fade with that shaft. Looking forward to trying these with tried and true DG.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @golfinguru11 said:

> > Sold my 6-pw lefty set. I was making solid contact but found myself hitting a lot of shots right. I’ve found blades to be much easier to turn over...if you struggle with being a bit too handsy like me you could have an issue. I probably could have adjusted but I simply don’t play enough to warrant the maneuverability of a blade.

>

> Though the narrow sole does make it a bit easier to hit shots offline due to increased workability, I’d say you losing it right was more a shaft thing. As a righty using the $Taper 130x I found it very hard to turn over. That’s why I’m going back to X100. KBS is notoriously hard to turn over and is a good shaft for hookers. I generally hit a baby draw with irons and I couldn’t adjust to hitting a slight fade with that shaft. Looking forward to trying these with tried and true DG.

Interesting you say that. They had Modus 125 stiff (basically an S300)...I wonder if kbs would help.

I do have some VR pro blade heads sitting around that I need to shaft. You think KBS tour s+ or C taper stiff might work? Digger, average release, ~108 driver swing speed.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

> @golfinguru11 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @golfinguru11 said:

> > > Sold my 6-pw lefty set. I was making solid contact but found myself hitting a lot of shots right. I’ve found blades to be much easier to turn over...if you struggle with being a bit too handsy like me you could have an issue. I probably could have adjusted but I simply don’t play enough to warrant the maneuverability of a blade.

> >

> > Though the narrow sole does make it a bit easier to hit shots offline due to increased workability, I’d say you losing it right was more a shaft thing. As a righty using the $Taper 130x I found it very hard to turn over. That’s why I’m going back to X100. KBS is notoriously hard to turn over and is a good shaft for hookers. I generally hit a baby draw with irons and I couldn’t adjust to hitting a slight fade with that shaft. Looking forward to trying these with tried and true DG.

>

> Interesting you say that. They had Modus 125 stiff (basically an S300)...I wonder if kbs would help.

>

> I do have some VR pro blade heads sitting around that I need to shaft. You think KBS tour s+ or C taper stiff might work? Digger, average release, ~108 driver swing speed.

Tour S+ has more weight up high so _should_ help you hit a straighter shot to slight fade. I'd be surprised if you turned them over too much. Tour S+ is smooth but quite a stout shaft overall. Modus 125S more weight down low like S300 as you said and although I haven't hit the 125, I turn the S300 over way too much. C Taper is a great shaft for killing spin but has more weight in the tip so doesn't quite have the same effect as KBS tour in that sense.

> @Buckets2 said:

> I have a hard time cutting Ctaper 130x, and can draw with them no problem. Shafts are person dependent so best bet is to hit as many as you can.

Yes and that’s because like X100 it has more weight in the tip. One of the TXG fitters has posted quite a bit on a local forum regarding how hard KBS Tour S+ and X are to turn over. $Taper is between the two but in the stiffer flex it is pretty left-proof for me.

I live in Virginia. Ordered some JPX through the popular Oregon based internet team. Took nearly two weeks because unlike Titleist, they ship to retailer vice to your home. So, they went from GA to OR to VA.

Ordered my MP20 through a local retailer Sunday afternoon. Order phoned in Monday morning. Clubs arrived in VA on Thursday.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

In my session with the MB and MMC, I found it easier to find the sweet spot with the MMC but it wasn't necessarily more forgiving in terms of results. In fact, I was hitting them similar distances despite the stronger lofts in the MMC. I did find the feel to be slightly different between the two heads. Both felt great but the MB was more of a solid thwack while the MMC was more of a two-step sound like a ka-chunk.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger but need to decide on set makeup and I need to rule out the Titleist line (MB/CB/T100).

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I went to the local GG the other day to drop off my P790 for a trip back to TM for loft / lie refresh. Hit both the MB (40-50 balls) and HMB (10-15 balls). Both felt great but I actually hit the MB a bit more consistently with HMB actually only carrying about 4 yds further on average. Have a set of MB heads ready to build and a set of HMB on the way but want to do one more head to head against the P790 (now back from TM). I was astonished at how forgiving the MB head was having not swung a club in a couple weeks here in CO. HMB will have to put up some pretty good numbers to beat MB but both felt really good. Hopefully I’ll hit a few other clubs besides the 7i too to help in the decision.

Got my HMB 3-6, MB 7-P combo set today, and I could not have been happier!

Bent the HMB 2 weak, and the gapping seems good in initial testing on sim.

They don’t go a mile, but they feel awesome and it’s consistency is amazing. Almost regret not going MB in 6 as well.

Can not wait to hit them outside!

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Well. It happened. MMC/MB on the way.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Totally agree! The HMB heads are more petite then I remembered from the fitting. Little clicker compared to the MBs of course.

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Yeah that is a concern of mine. My new set of MB heads should be here today or Monday. I'm going to play them 4-PW and figure out what I want to do. My concern isn't with contact on the 4i but rather spinning it too much. I think the MMC could be the best option for the long end for that reason.

Same. I tried the HMB 7 iron against my 900 Forged 7 iron (same PX LZ shaft in both) and the HMB was really high. I was losing about a club of distance it was so high.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]