Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

GolfWRX

I've hit both and thought the feel between the two is negligible. I opted for the MMC 6-P with the Modus 120, coming from the 919T with LZ 6.0. The MB are lovely but opted for the MMC as I felt they're slightly more forgiving and I wasn't giving up feel. I don't think you can go wrong with either. After playing a few rounds with the MMC, I am very pleased with my decision. Great sticks.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Probably going to get into a set of the MB 6-PW and MMC 4-5. I'm undecided on the shaft but I'm leaning Modus 120. Usually play a S300 but hit the 18 MB with it in and it felt very smooth to me. Now, to save. I spent all my money on my Scotty, TS2, and Christmas.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

I'm going to get fit for irons. I never have been. The only fitting I've ever done was for a driver and then a Scotty. I want to make sure these irons are exactly what I need in my game but also with the right shaft and specs. These will be my first set of new irons since leaving the golf industry about 4 years ago. Spent some time away from the game as well but I'm back and loving it again.

Titleist Pro V1

I have hmb 5/6/7 and mmc 8/9/P. Been mixing the mp18 mmc, but the mp20 mmc are now here. Sweet combo. I tried 5-P hmb, but it wasn’t happening for me.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

I assume you got your clubs by now. I just got mine and it was about a two-week turnaround altogether.

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

I keep alternating 8-P in the hmb and mmc. It’s a tough call. The mixed set is not a smooth transition. I almost prefer the full hmb set now.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

Just picked up my MP-20s and had my first indoor range session. Hit them really well. Gaps were perfect. Spin was down, which is what I was after. I went with Modus 120, which, in my fitting, was lower spinning than the DG, PX LZ and the DG 120. That held true in my session today. Low-ish spin but still in a good zone, especially with descent angles in the range of 45 (5 iron) to 51 (9 iron). (PW is on the way).

I had thought about the possibility of a split set, but today confirmed my decision to go MB from 5-PW. I hit the 5 iron beautifully today. I'm even contemplating adding the 4 iron, although I do like my U-500s a lot.

Fired up for 2020 ...

Used the MB as a baseline to test some shafts with today. Namely the C Taper as I'm ordering my Wilson blades and they don't have the C Taper in the fitting cart at my shop. What a great head and shaft combo. Definitely spiked ball speed over the X100 for me. I'd highly recommend trying them as long as you don't hit a low ball already. Powerful flight. Still between 35-40 yard peak height, 6200rpm, 123-125 b/s, 50 descent and SO accurate. Could happily play the MB with those shafts as well. To me, the Wilson blade and MP20 MB are nearly identical in performance.

Good to know because those were also on my list (along with the 620s) before I pulled the trigger on the MP-20s.

I hit the MBs today and I was VERY impressed with different shaft combos - Modus and DG. I feel the DG and MB head offered the best feeling at impact - such a thick, heavy feeling at impact. Wow.

I hit these against the Titleist CB and MB and preferred the feel of the Mizzy irons. I tried to look at the JPX Tour and MMC but did NOT like the look at address. I was very surprised that my dispersion was better with the MP20 MB over the Titleist irons. I even put the T100 4 iron against the MB and I hit the MB better. It was quite a shocking result since I figured the T100 would launch higher and the shaft would spin more. The only find I did have was that the spin was much better with the MB, even on average strikes. My more thin strikes found the green and the T100 landed short. Very interesting indeed. I can't wait to get a set of the MP20 MB irons. I think I'm going to go full set, 4-PW in DG S300 shafts. The 4 iron was incredibly easy, to me, to hit. I was really taken back by the "forgiveness" the MB offered. I think that it plays very forgiving for a blade and more so than the 620 MB.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1

I have to agree with your thoughts on how easy the MP-20 MB 4i is to hit.. I played 2019 Cobra King Forged MB's last year, and while I own the 3i and 4i from my set, I rarely put them into play. I took a couple comparison photo's of some 3 irons I had.. and surprised at how much smaller the Cobra's really are.

M6X5PASQSJE8.jpg

8H5NQPG56CLX.jpg

H0TFS9Y672U4.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn’t compare directly as there is nowhere locally with a modus TX to try but I have hit the modus X extensively. I have heard that the TX takes a lot of the Modus 120 butt action away. Compared to the X, even the C taper stiff feels more “one piece”. I’d imagine the CTX and maybe even the S+ feel stiffer than TX.

I hit the CT-x and S back to back yesterday and hit the S much better. X spiked my spin almost 500rpm, launched 2 degrees higher, and dropped carry by 5 or so yards. I attribute this to the shaft not being properly loaded through impact - it is incredibly stiff. I’m low to mid 90s with a 7i. IMO you’d have to be close to or over 100mph to effectively use the X. I have also read complaints on partials with the X on here. The one thing that was great with the X was how straight my shots were. The S had a good amount of draw shape. The S+ I’m hoping is the happy medium for me. I do better with more weight generally. JR and Rickie both play S+ so IMO it is plenty stiff. I always play X and the C taper stiff would be fine for me. The hallmark of the shaft is the ridiculous accuracy - it’s amazing. I also requested D3 swing weight as the shaft is somewhat counterbalanced.

Im sure TX takes care of this, but I’ve always found with modus that if you swing too aggressively the ball will either spray a bit or just got higher not further. In this fit I was looking to improve over that aspect in x100 as well. C taper feels like if you go after it it will go further for you not just balloon.

M

Except bent tips in ctapers will happen

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I had them bend in the x.

you will notice what looks like the ferrule start to separate on one side. One side will be flush with the hosel. Other side will be separated

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I need to pick a combo and shaft.

I think maybe 7-PW MB and 4-6 MMC

I've played mostly DG300 my entire life and at 45 they seem to wear me out a little more as I get to the back 9.

So I'm pondering shafts. The optimizer always wants to put me in x flex, but I think stiff is where I belong. I like the $ Taper 120 S. I also Project X. I always hear good things about Modus, but they always seem ballon right for me.

It’s probably the weight wearing you out. Logically I’d say the DG 120 would be a good option. Maybe the x100 120 soft stepped if you want to go closer to a stiff. The C taper stiff gives you the stability and dispersion of an X in a lighter weight. The $ taper is nice but spun A LOT for me - more than modus. I also love PX they don’t feel harsh to me at all.

It's a common complaint that the optimizer puts everyone in an X flex. Mizuno has some kinks to work out with that thing. As for set makeup, you might want to get the MBs first and then decide about the top of the range. I expected to get a split set but hit the MBs so well I'm going 5-P and might even add the 4. As for shafts, I like the Modus because it's a lighter shaft (114g), which would help with your fatigue issues. I don't have any issues with Modus ballooning or going right. The Modus spun less for me than the DGS300, the DG 120 and the PX LZ. I didn't try the standard PX but it's also lighter than DGS300 (5.5 is 115g, 6.0 is 120g).

I really appreciate the input. Very helpful.

I'm 45 and have played since I was a kid, but i never really paid attention to what shafts I used so my knowledge is very limited.

I play to about a 6 right now and have an old set of MP 57s I got used with DG 300S shafts.

I was fitted a couple years ago for JPX 900Fs with C taper lite X shafts. Way lighter than what I was used to, but also felt too stiff. Never felt like I could load them properly. I never liked the turf interaction as well with the heads. My mistake was doing an indoor fitting off mats. I feel like whacking balls off a matt into a net wasnt my "on course" swing.

I second the DG 120 shaft. I'd definitely try it out if I were you. Sounds like you can easily handle stiff or x by SS but just don't need the extra weight through a round. I'd also give the long irons a shot. I too thought of just having a split set but then I was handed the 4 iron and I was incredibly surprised to see that I hit it better than a MMC and T100 4 iron.

Titleist Pro V1

The optimizer does tend to fit into X. I may be wrong but I believe the CTL X is very similar in boardiness to the CT in stiff so likely avoid those profiles. If you like Dynamic gold you probably enjoy the softer butt stiffer tip feel (I do as well). I’m a hard swinger and 29 so enjoy boardy profiles as well. Definitely agree about the mat fittings. I got my first set of MP20 with $Taper 130x after an indoor fitting with optimizer. I was taken aback by how much it shrunk my dispersion. In practice they did not work well on course and I couldn’t tell where the head was during the swing. Second set with x100 was much better. Sounds like DG 120 in either s300 or x100 ss could be a winner but best to test off real turf as you said.

I got fit into x flex by optimizer as well. My 7i swing speed was only around 86 mph. I didn't like any of the top 3. Hit every shaft in the fitting cart outdoors on real turf. Ended up back with dynamic gold, but went liter with the 120 s300s.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red