Mizuno MP-20 MMC - July 2019

GolfWRX

Ok few things here...

1. Just ordered a set of mmc 20 s taper stiff 120 1 degree strong in the 4 thru 8 and 2 degrees strong in thee 9 and pw. Iam a high ball hitter specialy in the short irons. Being that i turned them strong are these things going to dig on me or will i be ok? I guess worse case i will turn then all back weak 1 degree.

2. Went with all mmc for a few reasons. The mb20 is not in my wheelhouse.. even if it was why would i want to punish myself so severly on the course when most pros dont? The hb were nice the 4 5 6 iron felt very good or just as good as mmc when flushed but the big difference was 7 to pw.. the mmc really outshined a few different irons i hit in that area including. Apex, apex pro, hmb, 919 forged, honma 747p, t100, t200, mavrik pro. Just plain softer then everything else and it wasnt close accept for thee... surprisingly hot metal and hot metal pro... wow felt fatastic for a cast. Best way to describe those were a forged cast.. that soft but with the amount of forgiveness in the mmcs for a club this small is just mind blowing. Feels like a game improvment iron level of forgiveness and thats hard to beat with these classy simple looks that go a very good distance. These are probably going to be my best irons yet.. they seem unreal to be honest lol. Im surprised more pros arent bagging them.

3. Anyone saying i need smaller i need smaller... any smaller and youll be swinging just a shaft lol.

4. must buy lipsticks and wigs for each iron... these are my new wives.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine a few days ago. Was fitted at PGA superstore with a shaft optimizer. It took 3-4 weeks for them to arrive because they had to order the shaft (Project X LZ). Played 18 holes with old set (Mizuno MP-54), then was notified they arrived in the proshop. So I played another 18 the same day. I intentionally played an iron when I would have otherwise played something else (i.e. 4-iron instead of hybrid off tee-box). The feel was awesome, much better than feel with the 54's. I scored 7 stroke better the second round, despite the 100 degree heat, being tired, and playing new, and with new unfamiliar irons.

This is the 3rd set of Mizuno irons I've had (MP-60's, then 54, now these). I love the feel and set up of the 60's, but got more distance and forgiveness with the 54's. These MP-20MMC irons seem to setup similar to the 60's, have the feel of the 60's, but have more forgiveness and distance like the 54's. Some of that is certainly attributed to the shaft. I was also fitted for the previous 2 sets, but only length, lie, and flex of shaft. This time fitting also included shaft recommendation, not just flex. Time will tell, but I am very happy with their look and feel so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just ordered 5-PW MMCs today through my club's pro shop. Anyone order some in October? Do you have them yet? Anyone know the current lead time? No feedback yet from the head pro on the order. 

It's disturbing to hear several of you say that when you received your irons that the specs were way off. I had 2 sets of MPs back in the early 2000s that were way off, too.

Why is Mizuno so uncaring about this? Irons are expensive enough without having to spend $50 to have them spec checked at a local clubmaker shop (my club, like most these days, has no resources for tuning loft/lie).

Just now, TTCarrera said:

Just ordered 5-PW MMCs today through my club's pro shop. Anyone order some in October? Do you have them yet? Anyone know the current lead time? No feedback yet from the head pro on the order. 

It's disturbing to hear several of you say that when you received your irons that the specs were way off. I had 2 sets of MPs back in the early 2000s that were way off, too.

Why is Mizuno so uncaring about this? Irons are expensive enough without having to spend $50 to have them spec checked at a local clubmaker shop (my club, like most these days, has no resources for tuning loft/lie).

I ordered a set end of Aug.  They are still not in.  I cancelled them.

Season is just about over there and I'm hitting the T100S too well

2024 Bag TBD

19 minutes ago, TTCarrera said:

I was a little disappointed that the specs didn't come in right, but fortunately the shop I buy them from were able to reduce the length (requested 1/2 inch over, they cam 1 inch over) and check the loft and lies.  I also asked for grips NDMC black/black and got black/white.  The shop gave Mizuno an earful after the screw up, and I received a complimentary umbrella and towel which was good on their part.  Twelve months on I absolutely love them.  One of my favorite iron sets I've played.  Highly recommended.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Bebsport678 said:

Anyone still gaming these?  Im coming from a set of Mav Pros and got fitted into these for the upcoming season.  Im a 4 handicap and want to make sure this isnt going to be too much club for me to handle.  

Nah if you're 4 you're more than fine. I found the MMC's to be one of the most forgiving in the "players cavity" category or whatever you want to call it. Look, feel and performance on them is A+.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

Just now, kwainio said:

Nah if you're 4 you're more than fine. I found the MMC's to be one of the most forgiving in the "players cavity" category or whatever you want to call it. Look, feel and performance on them is A+.

Thats everything ive read and heard and i had no issue with them in my fitting but an indoor mat is a lot different than real life lol.

Thanks for the response!

I picked up a set off of the BST for fun

4-P in the $ Taper stiff.

Will probably bend them weak to match my current gamer lofts and lose the offset. 

These things are ridiculously easy to hit.  Only the sim, but I'm posting the lowest scores of my life, inside or out. 

Taking them to Florida in a few weeks. 

My love affair with the CB57's might be over... 

• Like 2

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

3 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Will probably bend them weak to match my current gamer lofts and lose the offset. 

These things are ridiculously easy to hit.  Only the sim, but I'm posting the lowest scores of my life, inside or out. 

Welcome to iron heaven my friend. Im experiencing the same thing as of this past season and cant wait for 21 season. Best irons ive ever hit and smallest irons ive ever hit. They are basically blades that are hittable. Best scores of my life too. Im really lucky to have 2 sets of them and can't see anything knocking them out the bag. As soon as one set gets too old and crummy im ready to break out the backups.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Bebsport678 said:

Anyone still gaming these?  Im coming from a set of Mav Pros and got fitted into these for the upcoming season.  Im a 4 handicap and want to make sure this isnt going to be too much club for me to handle.  

You are going to be just fine and soooo happy you went with them. I have been gaming them for 1 season heading into another and im soo excited and happy. Best feel look and performance from basically a blade. How do you beat that? I had to have another set because i was terrified id never find another blade like iron again that performed like a gi iron. The bottom is so narrow its awsome and the topline is thin without giving you nightmares and yet still smaller then other irons. Offset is perfection. Thats it.. im getting married to these things. This is legal now in days to do something like this right?

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, St Jimmy said:

Found I was hitting them way too far.  Like 1.5 club further.  

Had them bent 2 degrees weaker than standard.  When I picked them up, my guy told me they were power lofted 2 degrees strong before he bent them.  Wish he told me that before bending because I probably would've just went stock.  Only 1 round in with the new lofts and I've hit quite a few thin shots.  I wonder if the increased bounce is causing this?  Or maybe just a bad day?  

Regardless, I'm committing to these for at least the season.  Excited to see how it goes!  

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1