2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-20 MMC - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @meliaant said:

> Having bagged the 18 MMCs for the past two seasons, the new 20s are some seriously **** sticks. Alliteration intended. While I love my 18s, I think they're only "cute" vs. the "sweet jesus" of the 20s.

I’m right there with you! I like my MP-18 MMC’s, but I don’t love the sole thickness of the shirt irons. I’m looking for a full change to 4-9 of the MP-20’s with a T-20 46* wedge. Can’t wait!

I did a custom fitting today and before going there I had my mind set on either 919 Forged or Titleist T200. I ended up buying MP-20 MMC for 6-Pw and MP-20 HMB for 4-5. The MMC beats anything I’ve ever tried before. Used Project X 6.0 before with my CB and almost chose that shaft again but took KBS $-taper instead. Now waiting for the delivery...

> @joakim said:

> I did a custom fitting today and before going there I had my mind set on either 919 Forged or Titleist T200. I ended up buying MP-20 MMC for 6-Pw and MP-20 HMB for 4-5. The MMC beats anything I’ve ever tried before. Used Project X 6.0 before with my CB and almost chose that shaft again but took KBS $-taper instead. Now waiting for the delivery...

Are the heads of the HMB slighly longer than the MMCs?

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

Holy sh*t: I had a custom fitting today. All three MP irons felt great and looked great. Tested the MMC most. After we found a good setup we compared it to the HMB. The HMB where extremely higher than the MMC. Even the fitter couldn’t believe it. I ended up ordering the MMC PW to iron 4 and the HMB iron 3 (KBS Tour S). The feel was unbelievable.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @SecondShot said:

> Holy sh*t: I had a custom fitting today. All three MP irons felt great and looked great. Tested the MMC most. After we found a good setup we compared it to the HMB. The HMB where extremely higher than the MMC. Even the fitter couldn’t believe it. I ended up ordering the MMC PW to iron 4 and the HMB iron 3 (KBS Tour S). The feel was unbelievable.

> Nice! The stock shaft on the MMC is the S Taper, did you try it? If so, what were the differences with the Tour and why did you decide on said Tours?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

> @SecondShot said:

> Holy sh*t: I had a custom fitting today. All three MP irons felt great and looked great. Tested the MMC most. After we found a good setup we compared it to the HMB. The HMB where extremely higher than the MMC. Even the fitter couldn’t believe it. I ended up ordering the MMC PW to iron 4 and the HMB iron 3 (KBS Tour S). The feel was unbelievable.

>

I hit the new offerings today as well I plan on ordering the MMC 4-pw coming from AP2s these were were the best fit for me. The HMBs were nice they just went too high I would have to combo them with the mbs in the lower irons and even though I can hit the MB’s fine off a flat driving range lie I would be concerned gaming then in actual golf conditions (rough, downhill lies, forced carries over trouble). The mmcs look and perform great and it’s nice to know if you miss it slightly the

ball will still fly. Only thing I have to work out are the specs the mizuno shaft analyzer said I should be .5-1 degree flat which I have always been standard to slightly upright so I want to try it a few more times to confirm.

How did the MMCs launch/spin ? I always bend my standard irons 1 strong so debating doing the same. > @kerila07 said:

> > @SecondShot said:

> > Holy sh*t: I had a custom fitting today. All three MP irons felt great and looked great. Tested the MMC most. After we found a good setup we compared it to the HMB. The HMB where extremely higher than the MMC. Even the fitter couldn’t believe it. I ended up ordering the MMC PW to iron 4 and the HMB iron 3 (KBS Tour S). The feel was unbelievable.

> >

>

> I hit the new offerings today as well I plan on ordering the MMC 4-pw coming from AP2s these were were the best fit for me. The HMBs were nice they just went too high I would have to combo them with the mbs in the lower irons and even though I can hit the MB’s fine off a flat driving range lie I would be concerned gaming then in actual golf conditions (rough, downhill lies, forced carries over trouble). The mmcs look and perform great and it’s nice to know if you miss it slightly the

> ball will still fly. Only thing I have to work out are the specs the mizuno shaft analyzer said I should be .5-1 degree flat which I have always been standard to slightly upright so I want to try it a few more times to confirm.

>

I believe I read something somewhere that said by removing the steel and replacing it with the titanium and slightly enlarging the clubhead they can increase MOI like 5%.

I had a set of MP-58s when they came out and played them for a season and enjoyed them—I think it’s neat to be able to retain as much MB feel as possible while still moving weight to the perimeter.

I am as big a Mizuno fan as there is but I would be really interested to see some info that lays out precisely what real world effect that little bit of weight shift has on performance. Like if a robot hit 20 shots with the blades 6 iron vs the MMC 6 iron 1/8” toeside at the exact same attack angle and speed, what does it do. What about 1/4”? 1/2”? It would just be fun to actually quantify these things.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @TrueWRX said:

> How did the MMCs launch/spin ? I always bend my standard irons 1 strong so debating doing the same. > @kerila07 said:

> > > @SecondShot said:

> > > Holy sh*t: I had a custom fitting today. All three MP irons felt great and looked great. Tested the MMC most. After we found a good setup we compared it to the HMB. The HMB where extremely higher than the MMC. Even the fitter couldn’t believe it. I ended up ordering the MMC PW to iron 4 and the HMB iron 3 (KBS Tour S). The feel was unbelievable.

> > >

> >

> > I hit the new offerings today as well I plan on ordering the MMC 4-pw coming from AP2s these were were the best fit for me. The HMBs were nice they just went too high I would have to combo them with the mbs in the lower irons and even though I can hit the MB’s fine off a flat driving range lie I would be concerned gaming then in actual golf conditions (rough, downhill lies, forced carries over trouble). The mmcs look and perform great and it’s nice to know if you miss it slightly the

> > ball will still fly. Only thing I have to work out are the specs the mizuno shaft analyzer said I should be .5-1 degree flat which I have always been standard to slightly upright so I want to try it a few more times to confirm.

> >

>

>

We did not have any monitoring equipment it was just eyeballing the official demo day will be the 21st. But I would say they went the lowest of the three offerings the MB’s went a touch higher but the HMBs were significantly higher we were hitting into a slight wind and I could see the ball just getting held up and not flying as well as the mmcs. I think the HMBs will make great long irons but I would be concerned hitting the short irons and the heights they would go. Compared to the ap2s I’m guessing they were very similar I typically carry my 7 170-175 and spin it around 7-7300 and the balls were pretty much landing in the same spots with similar trajectory.

Hit the MMC today. Damn perfect club. Feel is absolutely blade-like with the off center hits very forgiving. The presentation and size of the club is ideal for a wide variety of players (in no ways big, though). And, the S Tapers felt great. Very close, if not identical, to the Tour feel with a tad lower spin, better distance, and tighter dispersion. Next time I'll spend some time with the HMB to see how the 4/5/6 might dovetail with the MMC (if at all).

I can see me ordering a set or these 5-7 and adding the blades 8-pw. I already have a set of HMBs inbound 2,4-pw. I just have that feeling I will need these in my life too! ???

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @Lumberjack627 said:

> Maybe a stupid question but how much better if any are Mizuno irons then all the other brands. This kid I played in high school with 10 years ago played then and swore they are the best.

I feel like Mizuno has kinda a cult following. There is no doubt they make some of the best feeling irons in the game. I feel there is a lot about Mizuno that makes them special. They have some of the best customer service in the business. Their irons are always top notch quality and performance is always great if they are properly fit. That could really go for any iron though. I started playing golf in 1992 and used to looked at Mizuno as an iron I wish I could hit. Than 11 years later I decided I needed to try them out to see what the fuss was about. From the first swing, a flushed MP67 2 iron, I was hooked! I haven’t looked back since. I have dabble here and there but never been without a Mizuno club somewhere in the bag. You really just need to give them a go and you will understand. I’ve got several of my buddies hooked on the Mizuno feel. You won’t regret it!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

Mizuno always does a great job with irons. It's their bread and butter for a reason. Mp20 lineup is solid and I think the most impressive was the HMB's to me. Feel wise I was very impressed

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @GolfSwang said:

> Have there been any sightings of these in Canadian golf shops yet? Besides TXG...

Rep brought the bag by at Deboers the other day here in Edmonton.

I’ve hit all 3 offerings between the MB the MMC and HMB, and people won’t be disappointed

If I hadn’t shot 3 rounds at par in the last 4 with my newly acquired 785’s the MMC would be going straight into the bag, yes they’re that good.

Michael Newton review for MMC 5, 7, 9 just posted

Update: HMB review

MB review

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

The KBS S Tapers are the stock shaft on the MMC, yet my understanding is that Mizuno is only offering the Stiff and X - can anyone verify? That's disappointing.

The word from Golf USA of Manhattan is that Mizuno is not offering S Taper in R, nor R+. Soft stepping is the only (acceptable) solution unless you want to pull the shafts and have the desired replacements installed, the result of which will void the Mizuno warranty (so they said).

Currently game MP5, 3-pw. Play off a 0 index. Short irons are the best part of my game. I think I'm dead set on replacing my 3-6 with HMB, because the benefits are clear.

What I'm unsure of are the 7-pw. I don't foresee there being much of a noticable difference between the MP5 and MP20 MB, in which case I will keep the MP5 since I hit them so well. BUT I'm curious about the MP5 to MP20 MMC switch....how much more forgiving are they, really? How much less workable/how much less feel do they have?

Thanks....

> @mn44 said:

> Currently game MP5, 3-pw. Play off a 0 index. Short irons are the best part of my game. I think I'm dead set on replacing my 3-6 with HMB, because the benefits are clear.

>

> What I'm unsure of are the 7-pw. I don't foresee there being much of a noticable difference between the MP5 and MP20 MB, in which case I will keep the MP5 since I hit them so well. BUT I'm curious about the MP5 to MP20 MMC switch....how much more forgiving are they, really? How much less workable/how much less feel do they have?

>

> Thanks....

I hit the MMC, MB and 919 tour. I was able to able to hit nice draws with them. Based on the tech in them they should be a decent amount more forgiving. They feel really good too. I was set to go 919 tour. But after thinking about it im going MMC.

I have played a blade for a majority of the last 20 years for reference.

I had tried the HMB and MB a few days ago and shared my views in the MP20 thread. Loved them both, so had very high expectations from the MMC. They felt soft and nice and performed very well, but not as great as I thought they would be. I was hoping they would be the best of both the HMB and MB - forgiving, easy to hit and yet, precise and controllable. Unfortunately, for me, they kind of fell in between without being as good as either of the other two. Yes, they are easy to launch and a little forgiving - but I would prefer the HMB for the top end of the iron range (4-6 or 4-7) for that. And yes, they are a more controlled flight and workable - but I think I prefer the MB for the short irons.

For me, going to go HMB / MB combo once I get the right shafts dialed in.

> @NYCGolfNut said:

> I had tried the HMB and MB a few days ago and shared my views in the MP20 thread. Loved them both, so had very high expectations from the MMC. They felt soft and nice and performed very well, but not as great as I thought they would be. I was hoping they would be the best of both the HMB and MB - forgiving, easy to hit and yet, precise and controllable. Unfortunately, for me, they kind of fell in between without being as good as either of the other two. Yes, they are easy to launch and a little forgiving - but I would prefer the HMB for the top end of the iron range (4-6 or 4-7) for that. And yes, they are a more controlled flight and workable - but I think I prefer the MB for the short irons.

>

> For me, going to go HMB / MB combo once I get the right shafts dialed in.

Sounds a lot like the SEL set. : )

> @GolfSwang said:

> Have there been any sightings of these in Canadian golf shops yet? Besides TXG...

They were at my local golf town when I hit them yesterday.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2