2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

PW is 46, what gapping concerns do you have with a 50 gap wedge?

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Not a problem when you look at the new T20 wedges and can build out a gap'd set of wedges. Knowing the HMB lofts are spaced out 5* for the last couple of clubs I went with some T20's spaced out 51/56/61 (the last two in raw). I've played my gap wedge between 50* to 52* over the past 15 years so it should take too may balls to dial in distances.

> @DesertRain said:

> Pw and 50 degree. :smile:

I had to bend my PW to 44 in order to get the correct distance I was looking for. I believe the 9 is 41, but I was for some reason getting 150/155 out of my 9 iron, and only about 132/135 out of the PW. After bending it to the 44, I'm now getting the 140 yards I was looking for. I hit my 50 bent to a 49 and getting about 130, so I've got a good gaping now.

just slightly worried about pw being as hot as the 6 iron in my fitting. normal pw is 150yds and 50 degree about 135. didn't hit the pw and hoping it doesn't fly over 160. guess i could go 52/56/60 with the wedges instead of 50/54/58. guess I'm trying to get proper gapping without a Trackman at my disposal..

My set being bent to SEL specs do not seem any longer than my last set of MP 18s. As I go up in the irons they do seem to be a couple yards longer. But not enough to make me need to re figure yardages.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I’ve found that these irons really forgive a moderate toe miss as far as performance goes but still let’s you know where you missed it and by how much, best of both worlds imo.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @jetmech879 said:

> My set being bent to SEL specs do not seem any longer than my last set of MP 18s in the short irons. As I go up in the irons they do seem to be a couple yards longer. But not enough to make me need to re figure yardages.

I can’t find the edit button. Had to add I don’t find them any longer in the short irons, 8-pw.

> @DesertRain said:

> About to pull trigger on 4-pw hmb’s and coming from mp-59. Sounds like most are tweaking lofts to the SEL set. Have a bit of concern with gapping between people and 50 degree. Anyone else in a similar situation that purchased recently??

>

> Thanks

I play 50* and 55* wedges. Ordered the HMB's and had the PW strengthened to 45 and the 9i to 40.

So finally got word from my fitter that my irons are coming tomorrow (placed on 9/20). Unfortunately he informed me mizuno couldn’t meet my requested swingweights. He informed me the best they could do was D3?!?!? My order was 3-6 HMB and 7-PW MB, all with $-taper 130x. I started with D2 for the 3 iron and progress to D6 for PW in .5 increments. Is there something I’m missing here as stock SW is D2 for HMB 3-6, D3 for the MB 7-9 and D4 for the PW? I really hope they weren’t forced to use lightweight heads due to low stock or something. Never had issues with custom orders from mizuno before. Anyone else have any issue with custom specs on their MP20’s?

> @"North Texas" said:

> Mine got here yesterday exactly 2 weeks after ordering. Picked them up this morning but our range is closed. Will put them in play tomorrow for our 2-day Couples Club Championship. Hopefully the range is open by then, lol.

Very jealous ordered mine 2 weeks ago, my fitter said that yesterday they were en route from Georgia. Pretty far away from the prairies of Canada haha. Hoping to get them by next weekend

> @jblough99 said:

> So finally got word from my fitter that my irons are coming tomorrow (placed on 9/20). Unfortunately he informed me mizuno couldn’t meet my requested swingweights. He informed me the best they could do was D3?!?!? My order was 3-6 HMB and 7-PW MB, all with $-taper 130x. I started with D2 for the 3 iron and progress to D6 for PW in .5 increments. Is there something I’m missing here as stock SW is D2 for HMB 3-6, D3 for the MB 7-9 and D4 for the PW? I really hope they weren’t forced to use lightweight heads due to low stock or something. Never had issues with custom orders from mizuno before. Anyone else have any issue with custom specs on their MP20’s?

Yeah I see your point, especially since you are using heavy shafts, I would expect d5 to be normal. Are you playing these shorter length ??? I reshafted my irons with MCi Black 100X and had them at half inch over and my SW is approx 1.5.

> @puresurfr said:

> > @jblough99 said:

> > So finally got word from my fitter that my irons are coming tomorrow (placed on 9/20). Unfortunately he informed me mizuno couldn’t meet my requested swingweights. He informed me the best they could do was D3?!?!? My order was 3-6 HMB and 7-PW MB, all with $-taper 130x. I started with D2 for the 3 iron and progress to D6 for PW in .5 increments. Is there something I’m missing here as stock SW is D2 for HMB 3-6, D3 for the MB 7-9 and D4 for the PW? I really hope they weren’t forced to use lightweight heads due to low stock or something. Never had issues with custom orders from mizuno before. Anyone else have any issue with custom specs on their MP20’s?

>

> Yeah I see your point, especially since you are using heavy shafts, I would expect d5 to be normal. Are you playing these shorter length ??? I reshafted my irons with MCi Black 100X and had them at half inch over and my SW is approx 1.5.

>

Standard length

Picked up my HMB's from Dallas Golf last Friday morning. Range was closed due to heavy overnight rain. Saturday and Sunday is our Couple's Club Championship. Due to other "committments", got to the range prior to Saturday's first round in time to hit a few 9 irons and a couple of drivers. Got Recoil 95's in my HMB's after coming from Orochi's (70 gram shaft) in my MP 15's and I could definitely feel the weight difference as I tended to leave the first few shots out to the right. But it didn't take long to adjust and I was hitting my normal iron shots by the back nine. Yesterday was even better. Man, not only do the HMB's look good, but they feel really, really good. I always liked the feel of my 15's but the HMB's feel even better. I hit them maybe just a tad higher and maybe a half club farther than the 15's which I had strengthened the lofts on 2 degrees.

BTW, if you live in the Dallas area, you ought to check out Dallas Golf. Really pleased with their service.

• Like 1

Ordered my 4-PW with KBS $-Taper black pvd and 3.5 Swing weight. Been told 7-10 day wait here in Australia.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

> @mickeyplyler said:

> Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

The best thing to do when comboing the HMB with the blades is to weaken the HMBs to the blade lofts. This will make your distance gaps proper and also help match the offset better to your blades. I have a full set of HMBs that are bent to SEL specs and they gap perfect. I also have 6-pw in the blades inbound. I will probably be selling my 6-pw in the HMBs if anyone is interested

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @mickeyplyler said:

> > Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

>

> The best thing to do when comboing the HMB with the blades is to weaken the HMBs to the blade lofts. This will make your distance gaps proper and also help match the offset better to your blades. I have a full set of HMBs that are bent to SEL specs and they gap perfect. I also have 6-pw in the blades inbound. I will probably be selling my 6-pw in the HMBs if anyone is interested

>

>

Why did you decide to change back to blades?

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

> @icandy said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > > @mickeyplyler said:

> > > Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

> >

> > The best thing to do when comboing the HMB with the blades is to weaken the HMBs to the blade lofts. This will make your distance gaps proper and also help match the offset better to your blades. I have a full set of HMBs that are bent to SEL specs and they gap perfect. I also have 6-pw in the blades inbound. I will probably be selling my 6-pw in the HMBs if anyone is interested

> >

> >

>

> Why did you decide to change back to blades?

>

>

Well I honestly don’t feel it makes any difference at all in my score. I just really love the look of the new MB this year. And for me looks equals confidence. I will still have the HMBs at the top of the bag. The 2, 4, and 5 have been phenomenal for me. I rattled a pin from 190 out up a hill with my 5 iron last week. Shaped a high fade over trees from 200 out to 10’ with my 5 Friday and there has been several other good shots with the 2 and 4 as well. As for the 6-pw..... that’s another story. My distance and direction control is not there. Also the ball just goes too high. I already hit a high ball. I don’t really need the help. Should have the blades in the bag by Wednesday!

> @tsecor said:

> > @eastriver said:

> > 6-10 rounds in with my HMBs and I'm still loving them.

>

> 6-10?? wth? you dont know?? lol

It is funny, but I'd have to count and factor in after work 9s, and practice sessions, and remember stuff and stuff. All I know is that the good shots I'm making are my best iron shots ever. Everything else is a blur.

> @jetmech879 said: As for the 6-pw..... that’s another story. My distance and direction control is not there. Also the ball just goes too high. I already hit a high ball. I don’t really need the help. Should have the blades in the bag by Wednesday!

I've had the experience of shots going surprisingly high, too. I'm hitting overhanging branches with the 6 iron that would have been well out of my vertical range previously. I'm enjoying the height and the soft landings, which I didn't have with the 6-7 irons before the HMBs, but I'd like to be able to flight them down when needed. I think the Recoil 95s might be helping that high launch, as well.

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @icandy said:

> > > @jetmech879 said:

> > > > @mickeyplyler said:

> > > > Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

> > >

> > > The best thing to do when comboing the HMB with the blades is to weaken the HMBs to the blade lofts. This will make your distance gaps proper and also help match the offset better to your blades. I have a full set of HMBs that are bent to SEL specs and they gap perfect. I also have 6-pw in the blades inbound. I will probably be selling my 6-pw in the HMBs if anyone is interested

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Why did you decide to change back to blades?

> >

> >

> Well I honestly don’t feel it makes any difference at all in my score. I just really love the look of the new MB this year. And for me looks equals confidence. I will still have the HMBs at the top of the bag. The 2, 4, and 5 have been phenomenal for me. I rattled a pin from 190 out up a hill with my 5 iron last week. Shaped a high fade over trees from 200 out to 10’ with my 5 Friday and there has been several other good shots with the 2 and 4 as well. As for the 6-pw..... that’s another story. My distance and direction control is not there. Also the ball just goes too high. I already hit a high ball. I don’t really need the help. Should have the blades in the bag by Wednesday!

>

Ok, make sense. I have low ball so hoping it lifts it up over standard flight. will see.

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

> @icandy said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > > @icandy said:

> > > > @jetmech879 said:

> > > > > @mickeyplyler said:

> > > > > Had a chance to hit all three mp 20s today. I surprised with the feel of the HMB. There is a difference in the feel of the mb and the mmc and hmb, but I liked the hmb feel better than the mmc. I have only played a blade for the last 30 years but went into it open minded. The hmb was so impressive that I am going with the 2-5 in the hmb and 6-pw in the mb. My only concern is the gap between the hmb % iron and mb 6 iron. I am anticipating a fairly large gap and I am guessing I will have to take some loft off of the 6 iron and add some to the five. My question is has anyone here had a gap issue in the conversion from one type of iron with these sets?

> > > >

> > > > The best thing to do when comboing the HMB with the blades is to weaken the HMBs to the blade lofts. This will make your distance gaps proper and also help match the offset better to your blades. I have a full set of HMBs that are bent to SEL specs and they gap perfect. I also have 6-pw in the blades inbound. I will probably be selling my 6-pw in the HMBs if anyone is interested

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Why did you decide to change back to blades?

> > >

> > >

> > Well I honestly don’t feel it makes any difference at all in my score. I just really love the look of the new MB this year. And for me looks equals confidence. I will still have the HMBs at the top of the bag. The 2, 4, and 5 have been phenomenal for me. I rattled a pin from 190 out up a hill with my 5 iron last week. Shaped a high fade over trees from 200 out to 10’ with my 5 Friday and there has been several other good shots with the 2 and 4 as well. As for the 6-pw..... that’s another story. My distance and direction control is not there. Also the ball just goes too high. I already hit a high ball. I don’t really need the help. Should have the blades in the bag by Wednesday!

> >

>

> Ok, make sense. I have low ball so hoping it lifts it up over standard flight. will see.

I bet you will like them in that case. I just wanted to make them work. I read all the talk and knew they were higher launch. While I was waiting for them to come in I kept thinking I should have comboed them but didn’t know where in the set to. Now I do.

> @jetmech879 said:

> ...I read all the talk and knew they were higher launch...

Just keep in mind the shaft makes a hugh difference in launch. When I did my fitting the PX's and C-Tapers kept the flight way down and the some of the Nippons were way too high. Found my own goldilocks solution with the $-Tapers - the flight was just what I was looking for with the HMB head (I'm coming from a full MP-18 MB back to a more forgiving full HMB bag - 7.7hcp disclaimer).

• Like 1

> @toddmanley said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > ...I read all the talk and knew they were higher launch...

>

> Just keep in mind the shaft makes a hugh difference in launch. When I did my fitting the PX's and C-Tapers kept the flight way down and the some of the Nippons were way too high. Found my own goldilocks solution with the $-Tapers - the flight was just what I was looking for with the HMB head (I'm coming from a full MP-18 MB back to a more forgiving full HMB bag - 7.7hcp disclaimer).

Yes I definitely agree with you on the shafts playing a huge part in launch. I have been a PX 6.5 guy for years. I just wanted to try something different due to elbow issues. I will see how the modus 125x performs in the blades before I part with my HMBs. But like I said I am loving the long irons!