2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping Sigma 2 owners

braincramp52

What are some of your thoughts on the Sigma 2 putters for you guys that have bought one ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @dmac4g said:

> I had the Tyne 4. I loved everything about the putter except the insert. I found it to be too soft and I had a hard time judging distance as a result. I think it is a well built putter, I just dont get along with a soft insert.

I tend to agree with you.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @dmac4g said:

> I had the Tyne 4. I loved everything about the putter except the insert. I found it to be too soft and I had a hard time judging distance as a result. I think it is a well built putter, I just dont get along with a soft insert.

I tend to agree with you.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @dmac4g said:

I spent a lot of time rolling these alongside Vaults. They’re perfectly good putters but the insert is very soft. Too soft for me as well.

I actually love the putter (Valor) and the softness of the insert since I either use a ProV1x or TP5x. Hate the adjustable feature. Mine failed in 3 weeks and I still haven’t got it back from Ping.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I initially loved the Tyne 4, but once I got it on the course I struggled with distance control. Like others have said, the insert is too soft so I went back to my Redwood D66. I would love a milled anser 4 or a Tyne 4 mid for my strong arc. I keep waiting for Ping to do something with the PLD line, but I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Socrates said:

> I actually love the putter (Valor) and the softness of the insert since I either use a ProV1x or TP5x. Hate the adjustable feature. Mine failed in 3 weeks and I still haven’t got it back from Ping.

Got it back after 5+ weeks. At least they got it exactly as I requested it. Didn't even remove the lead tape on the sole. Good to have it back.

MCC Align Midsize

I absolutely love mine but I will preface with the fact that it is custom fit from a session on SAMlab which I will say makes a bigger difference than anything. But for the putter itself, it’s soft and putts a really nice roll on the ball. My intention was to always go with the fixed length black shaft but to be honest after messing around with the stock shaft in store I can’t see how anyone in the world could use the stock shaft. It’s like a wet noodle, almost like using some sort of training aid. When everyone is going to more stable putter shafts I can’t fathom why Ping went with something that flexes so much.

o9o7msvhbl1s.jpeg

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @drvrwdge said:

> I absolutely love mine but I will preface with the fact that it is custom fit from a session on SAMlab which I will say makes a bigger difference than anything. But for the putter itself, it’s soft and putts a really nice roll on the ball. My intention was to always go with the fixed length black shaft but to be honest after messing around with the stock shaft in store I can’t see how anyone in the world could use the stock shaft. It’s like a wet noodle, almost like using some sort of training aid. When everyone is going to more stable putter shafts I can’t fathom why Ping went with something that flexes so much.

>

> o9o7msvhbl1s.jpeg

>

I found the adjustable stock shaft to be too flexible at longer lengths (35"+ and the head wobbles as you putt) and I think that is why some have trouble with distance control. You need a REALLY smooth stroke to be consistent and not flex the shaft.

I and others have found the adjustable shaft feature isn't solidly engineered and they rattle in very short order. I'm sure many like myself send them back for warranty and want a fixed shaft.

MCC Align Midsize

> @1Mordrid1 said:

> I loved my Sigma 2 Tyne until my friend wanted to use it for a round and then after adjusting the length out and then back in, the pistol grip is no longer square with the face.

Better just throw out the whole putter now....

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

> @5hort5tuff said:

> > @1Mordrid1 said:

> > I loved my Sigma 2 Tyne until my friend wanted to use it for a round and then after adjusting the length out and then back in, the pistol grip is no longer square with the face.

>

> Better just throw out the whole putter now....

I was already making the switch to the PXG Bat Attack, so I will just regrip the Sigma 2 Tyne for a backup putter. It is just disappointing that the grip got twisted simply by adjusting the the screw.

> @johngalt312 said:

> Insert too soft, but better than the Vault. Using PLD3 or Redwood Anser or Anser Milled 1.

The Vaults seem to get some bad buzz around here but I really like my Dale Anser. I didn’t like the stock grip but once that was addressed I love how it looks and feels rolling the ball.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Like the head a lot, don't like the adjustable shaft. On long putts I swear I can feel some movement or flexing due to the telescoping design of the shaft. Probably just going to sell it as I really don't feel like messing around with installing a new shaft.

I agree. I really like the head on the Anser, but the shaft seems very whippy/flexing. I had no feel at all on the practice green in the store

> @SlothofDespond said:

> > @johngalt312 said:

> > Insert too soft, but better than the Vault. Using PLD3 or Redwood Anser or Anser Milled 1.

>

> The Vaults seem to get some bad buzz around here but I really like my Dale Anser. I didn’t like the stock grip but once that was addressed I love how it looks and feels rolling the ball.

I hadn’t seen any around here one way or the other, but such doesn’t surprise me. In theory I should love and putt well with it (given head weight, shape, etc.), but I don’t. While it looks sharp, it just feels off.

> @myspinonit said:

> > @00steven said:

> > Play the fetch, my putting has improved massively. Love the feel and alignment.

>

> I just replaced a Strokes Lab V-Line with the Fetch. First course time tomorrow with it but love it on the practice green- feel and easy alignment as the other poster said.

First round Honeymoon round with the Fetch yesterday. After a couple of short 3 putt lip-outs (operator nerve error) early on I made all of those short ones, drained most in the 7-10 foot range. Also some come- back putts when I got a bit aggressive (and felt I could be more aggressive for the first time in a while). I'm sure a lot of this is that the face-balanced helps reduce the hand action that I was getting into. That was exacerbated after switching to a toe-hang Scotty a couple of years ago (after a fitting), and continued with my recent very short-term toe hang Stroke Lab experiment.

I've read that the Fetch feels the lightest of the Sigma 2 line though it still has a 365 g head and has a total weight of 580g with the PP 62 grip according to my kitchen digital scale which isn't light. It doesn't feel heavy to me, which my arthritic thumbs appreciate.

I have had a Sigma 2 Fetch for a couple of months now. Love the head, hate the adjustable length shaft. It is very, very flexible and now has a rattle. Working with my pro shop to get it reshafted with a fixed length shaft at Ping's expense under warranty. I tried several new ones in the pro shop and they were all way too flexible. For now I would not recommend any of the Sigma 2 putters with the adjustable shaft.

> @myspinonit said:

> I've read that the Fetch feels the lightest of the Sigma 2 line though it still has a 365 g head and has a total weight of 580g with the PP 62 grip according to my kitchen digital scale which isn't light. It doesn't feel heavy to me, which my arthritic thumbs appreciate.

Love the PP62 grip. I even ordered another one from Golfworks as a backup in case Ping discontinues the grip.

MCC Align Midsize

> @FourPutt72 said:

> I have had a Sigma 2 Fetch for a couple of months now. Love the head, hate the adjustable length shaft. It is very, very flexible and now has a rattle. Working with my pro shop to get it reshafted with a fixed length shaft at Ping's expense under warranty. I tried several new ones in the pro shop and they were all way too flexible. For now I would not recommend any of the Sigma 2 putters with the adjustable shaft.

Just seems like the engineers had a really good idea, but didn't field test it to see if it would hold up to real world golf. The warranty and returns dept is going to get a workout.

MCC Align Midsize

> @Sleeky_D said:

> I went back and forth between the sigma 2 tyne 4 and the fetch. I personally loved the look of the putter(s) and I didn't feel the face was too soft while in the store; however, after taking the tyne 4 to the course I was having trouble with distance control, which seems to be a problem others have faced also.

The Fetch (@34") took me some distance adjustment for a short time. Maybe a couple of rounds. But I'm 9-10 rounds in now and haven't putted this well in a while. I see Brooke Henderson is using a Fetch now (adjusted to 2 degrees loft, slight arc.)

Re: other posted concerns: Maybe at longer lengths the Sigma 2 shaft feels too flexy, don't know, but at 34" I've had no issues. The small local shop here where I got it say they have had zero warranty or return issues and this guys have always been straight up, so I have no reason to doubt that.

The Tyne Stealth looks so good. Close to pulling trigger on it with the fixed length stealth shaft after having putted with it in the store for a while. When I tried this line earlier in the year, I didn’t like the ZB2 (felt too soft), but very much into the Tyne at the moment. Thinking Straight Arc and heavier weight may help me focus on stopping going outside in with my stroke...but could be wrong.

> @Socrates said:

> > @FourPutt72 said:

> > I have had a Sigma 2 Fetch for a couple of months now. Love the head, hate the adjustable length shaft. It is very, very flexible and now has a rattle. Working with my pro shop to get it reshafted with a fixed length shaft at Ping's expense under warranty. I tried several new ones in the pro shop and they were all way too flexible. For now I would not recommend any of the Sigma 2 putters with the adjustable shaft.

>

> Just seems like the engineers had a really good idea, but didn't field test it to see if it would hold up to real world golf. The warranty and returns dept is going to get a workout.

Not sure whether the adjustable shaft "idea"came from some of the 20-30 year old engineers or whether some of the older more experienced engineers got sold some snake oil by some young whippersnapper snake oil salesman. Either way I doubt the adjustable shaft technology will hang around long. Then again what do I know. I like the 62 grip a lot but it seems that they are going to discontinue it.