Ping Sigma 2 owners

braincramp52

I was told the high end putters are getting revamped for next year.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @Enduro59 said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @FourPutt72 said:

> > > I have had a Sigma 2 Fetch for a couple of months now. Love the head, hate the adjustable length shaft. It is very, very flexible and now has a rattle. Working with my pro shop to get it reshafted with a fixed length shaft at Ping's expense under warranty. I tried several new ones in the pro shop and they were all way too flexible. For now I would not recommend any of the Sigma 2 putters with the adjustable shaft.

> >

> > Just seems like the engineers had a really good idea, but didn't field test it to see if it would hold up to real world golf. The warranty and returns dept is going to get a workout.

>

> Not sure whether the adjustable shaft "idea"came from some of the 20-30 year old engineers or whether some of the older more experienced engineers got sold some snake oil by some young whippersnapper snake oil salesman. Either way I doubt the adjustable shaft technology will hang around long. Then again what do I know. I like the 62 grip a lot but it seems that they are going to discontinue it.

Interesting your comment that the PP62 is being disconintued. Couldn't find a reference in a Google search...are you able to clarify the source?

> @myspinonit said:

> > @Enduro59 said:

> > Not sure whether the adjustable shaft "idea"came from some of the 20-30 year old engineers or whether some of the older more experienced engineers got sold some snake oil by some young whippersnapper snake oil salesman. Either way I doubt the adjustable shaft technology will hang around long. Then again what do I know. I like the 62 grip a lot but it seems that they are going to discontinue it.

>

> Interesting your comment that the PP62 is being disconintued. Couldn't find a reference in a Google search...are you able to clarify the source?

If he has talked to a Ping rep, he has likely been told that Ping is changing the highend putters. With that, they usually move on to another grip style and since the PP62 (and the like) are proprietary, they likely will disappear too. Conjecture? Buy them from Golfworks if you like them. I got an extra one.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

> @Socrates said:

> > @myspinonit said:

> > > @Enduro59 said:

> > > Not sure whether the adjustable shaft "idea"came from some of the 20-30 year old engineers or whether some of the older more experienced engineers got sold some snake oil by some young whippersnapper snake oil salesman. Either way I doubt the adjustable shaft technology will hang around long. Then again what do I know. I like the 62 grip a lot but it seems that they are going to discontinue it.

> >

> > Interesting your comment that the PP62 is being disconintued. Couldn't find a reference in a Google search...are you able to clarify the source?

> If he has talked to a Ping rep, he has likely been told that Ping is changing the highend putters. With that, they usually move on to another grip style and since the PP62 (and the like) are proprietary, they likely will disappear too. Conjecture? Buy them from Golfworks if you like them. I got an extra one.

>

Yeah, thanks... I meant to add later after my post that I saw they are available on Golfworks. I've contacted my local shop (supporting local) who will call Ping on Tuesday and get one as a sparefor me if available. Otherwise, I'll get one from Golfworks.

Face is too soft. Cannot hear a thing with a v1x. Don’t understand how people use a putter that’s silent.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> Face is too soft. Cannot hear a thing with a v1x. Don’t understand how people use a putter that’s silent.

Might be time for a hearing test.

That was a little tongue in cheek, but a little on the serious side too. I definitely can hear the ball off the putter face.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

> @Socrates said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Face is too soft. Cannot hear a thing with a v1x. Don’t understand how people use a putter that’s silent.

>

> Might be time for a hearing test.

> That was a little tongue in cheek, but a little on the serious side too. I definitely can hear the ball off the putter face.

Could be true. Lol. I guess I should clarify. I suppose I can hear it vs having ear plugs in. But it’s so soft that I’d say it’s one of the softest I’ve ever hit.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @FourPutt72 said:

> I have had a Sigma 2 Fetch for a couple of months now. Love the head, hate the adjustable length shaft. It is very, very flexible and now has a rattle. Working with my pro shop to get it reshafted with a fixed length shaft at Ping's expense under warranty. I tried several new ones in the pro shop and they were all way too flexible. For now I would not recommend any of the Sigma 2 putters with the adjustable shaft.

I just got the Fetch back from Ping. Not sure what they did but the adjustable mechanism is much tighter and no longer rattles but the shaft is still very flexible. The longer the shaft the more flexible it is. I still think the adjustable shaft length is a bad design and can't recommend this putter unless you get one with a regular fixed length steel shaft. I do like the Fetch head though.

Sorry, I have given up on the Sigma 2 Fetch. Made a surprise buy (Wilson).

Ping, if you are following this thread, please bring back the Fetch but with a firmer face, milled would be great.

I thought I was getting a handle on it, and had some good rounds, but on faster greens, on long putts or on real short ones was losing confidence and had some horror shows. Putting from "just off " when it seemed like the safe option, wasn't. Adjusting it to 33.5 before play today did help.

I realized that I was missing the 'pop" and the easy distance control that I had after a "test" practice session with my 2006 model 2 ball with custom aluminum insert. I took both putters today for a test at the bigbox, and hit them against some firmer face contenders, including a similar Scotty model to the one I played fairly happily for almost two years till this summer and a couple of Spiders (was close to getting the Spider Mini). . The manager suggested I try the inexpensive Wilson milled models, "selling a ton of them". Just wow.

Anyhoo, for $130 CDN I've got a **Wilson Staff 2018 Infinity The Bean** that worked better than any of the much more costly putters in store and it was purring for me (especially distance control) at a local course fast and undulating practice green after.

> @myspinonit said:

> Sorry, I have given up on the Sigma 2 Fetch. Made a surprise buy (Wilson).

> Ping, if you are following this thread, please bring back the Fetch but with a firmer face, milled would be great.

> I thought I was getting a handle on it, and had some good rounds, but on faster greens, on long putts or on real short ones was losing confidence and had some horror shows. Putting from "just off " when it seemed like the safe option, wasn't. Adjusting it to 33.5 before play today did help.

>

> I realized that I was missing the 'pop" and the easy distance control that I had after a "test" practice session with my 2006 model 2 ball with custom aluminum insert. I took both putters today for a test at the bigbox, and hit them against some firmer face contenders, including a similar Scotty model to the one I played fairly happily for almost two years till this summer and a couple of Spiders (was close to getting the Spider Mini). . The manager suggested I try the inexpensive Wilson milled models, "selling a ton of them". Just wow.

>

> Anyhoo, for $130 CDN I've got a **Wilson Staff 2018 Infinity The Bean** that worked better than any of the much more costly putters in store and it was purring for me (especially distance control) at a local course fast and undulating practice green after.

In the end, it is what works for you that matters.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, WagsToRitches said:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to reshaft this putter to negate against the wippiness of the shaft? Purchased this putter on Ebay but did not know about the shaft whip until now 🤦🏼‍♂️

You likely will find a shaft to fit, but you will not get the same bend.  The Ping bends (assume you have a double bend shaft) is custom done right in their factory.  If you have one with a straight shaft, you will have no problem.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Just bought the Sigma 2 Tyne today and I have to say, I absolutely love this putter.  It feels so easy to align and while it does feel a little soft, I can hear the contact so it doesn't bother me much.  I don't find it to feel any softer than a Spider Tour honestly.  

So since the shaft has to com from Ping, do I have to wait for this thing to break or can I send it to Ping to have them install a black shaft and Pingman grip?  I really want to roll with this putter, I love so many things about it.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2nd season with my Sigma 2 Fetch and while I've tried to kick it out of the bag, nothing can beat it. Curious to try the new 2021 Fetch but I kind of like the visible hole/circle on top.

I play mine at 34" and do not feel the whip at all. I also really like the insert, just doesn't play as soft as some of the comments I've seen.

Someone asked above, I'm pretty sure if you contact PING they'll reshaft to a non-adjustable shaft for a nominal fee. I know the Sigma 2 and Heppler can be ordered with fixed length shafts.

• Like 1

I’m using a sigma 2 Tyne 4 with adjustable shaft while I wait for my Kevin Burns 9309 and I really like it. It’s soft but I get a nice feel with it. Definitely keeping it in the collection. 

I also got an email from pgasuperstore advertising the new 2021 ping putters, looks the same as the last model with a new color scheme. They are offering g a Tyne center shaft model now.

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

a whippy putter shaft?  thats a new one ive never heard

Yes to be fair, I agree with some who have said you can feel a little "whip" in the adjustable PING putter shafts but only when you start going longer than 35". Below 35" it's not noticeable and below 34" it's nonexistent, I've hit the Sigma 2 Anser in adjustable and fixed at 34" and there's zero difference in feel.

7 minutes ago, hd.softail said:

Yes to be fair, I agree with some who have said you can feel a little "whip" in the adjustable PING putter shafts but only when you start going longer than 35". Below 35" it's not noticeable and below 34" it's nonexistent, I've hit the Sigma 2 Anser in adjustable and fixed at 34" and there's zero difference in feel.

very interesting....i learn something new every day.

I put in a repair order to have my adjustable shaft replaced with the black non adjustable... BUT...I have been playing around with the putter and am starting to get a feel for it.  It almost forces a smooth, in tempo stroke or you feel the shaft.  I have experimented with a claw grip with the PP60 grip and it seems to work really well, but it's something completely new to me so it's going to take time, but I can see already how well this putter fits me.  Don't love the shaft, but I am for sure keeping this putter, loving the roll and accuracy.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

I put in a repair order to have my adjustable shaft replaced with the black non adjustable... BUT...I have been playing around with the putter and am starting to get a feel for it.  It almost forces a smooth, in tempo stroke or you feel the shaft.  I have experimented with a claw grip with the PP60 grip and it seems to work really well, but it's something completely new to me so it's going to take time, but I can see already how well this putter fits me.  Don't love the shaft, but I am for sure keeping this putter, loving the roll and accuracy.

Just wait until the shaft starts "clicking" inside the grip.  Replace the shaft as soon as you can.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

Just wait until the shaft starts "clicking" inside the grip.  Replace the shaft as soon as you can.

Yeah, I am torn.  I rolled the Heppler Tyne 3 yesterday and really enjoyed that one, too.  I'm considering bringing the Sigma back and grabbing the Heppler as it looks like a much easier shaft to swap out, maybe I'll do both... LOL  The shape of the Tyne REALLY suits my eye.  I'm going to try it on the course this Friday and go from there.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 6 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 7:59 AM, drvrwdge said:

I absolutely love mine but I will preface with the fact that it is custom fit from a session on SAMlab which I will say makes a bigger difference than anything. But for the putter itself, it’s soft and putts a really nice roll on the ball. My intention was to always go with the fixed length black shaft but to be honest after messing around with the stock shaft in store I can’t see how anyone in the world could use the stock shaft. It’s like a wet noodle, almost like using some sort of training aid. When everyone is going to more stable putter shafts I can’t fathom why Ping went with something that flexes so much.

o9o7msvhbl1s.jpeg

Can you tell me what shaft you put in this? Please

• 4 months later...

I think the adjustable length is such a great idea for head cases like me. I sometimes wonder if I’m playing the wrong sized putter and now  can experiment using the Ping putting app to determine if this is true. My Tyne is one of 3 putters- the other 2 are both 33 inches. Right now, I’ve been getting the best results at 34.25. 

Still loving my fixed length Sigma 2 Fetch. Play very fast greens so the softness is perfect. Have tried to unseat but the shape flat out works for me. Liked it better than the Heppler Fetch and the new fetch which is harder. 

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black