2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

A warning before buying a vessel bag

3wood

• 4 months later...

I bought a Player III a few weeks ago, will arrive in January. Very excited. I use a Clicgear more often than not, but nonetheless I was ready to get out of my midsize staff bag from a major club manufacturer -- it looked fantastic but the pocket setup wasn't great. And as someone said earlier, I appreciate that Vessel doesn't blast its name in giant type all over the bag. I got it in black; I really don't know how people get white bags and think they can stay perfect for more than a couple rounds.

Reading through this thread, it's kind of amazing how people go from 0 to 100 mph so fast with the hate. In the two years since this thread launched, I'd say Vessel has gotten better about the cart strap issue. I'm getting one of the strap-sleeve thingies free with my bag, along with a free towel. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jschwarb said:

I bought a Player III a few weeks ago, will arrive in January. Very excited. I use a Clicgear more often than not, but nonetheless I was ready to get out of my midsize staff bag from a major club manufacturer -- it looked fantastic but the pocket setup wasn't great. And as someone said earlier, I appreciate that Vessel doesn't blast its name in giant type all over the bag. I got it in black; I really don't know how people get white bags and think they can stay perfect for more than a couple rounds.

Reading through this thread, it's kind of amazing how people go from 0 to 100 mph so fast with the hate. In the two years since this thread launched, I'd say Vessel has gotten better about the cart strap issue. I'm getting one of the strap-sleeve thingies free with my bag, along with a free towel. 

Yeah, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the Player III in grey. I already bought 3 Kell-Pro pads for strapping a cart.

Mr. Wolfe

2 hours ago, dxdgenert said:

I, personally, went from “0-100” when a representative from their company claimed a stand bag was never intended to be used on a cart. Seems pretty obvious why people would “hate” that company policy. 

Well, a stand bag is a stand bag. It's not designed for a cart. Will stand bags be used on carts? Of course, and I will agree that having a blanket policy of not covering stand bags for cart damage is a bit shortsighted from a customer service standpoint. But if someone says "I bought this stand bag and have used it on a cart for six months and this happened ...", as a golfer I'll say "then why did you buy the stand bag?" (And I'm not directing any of this at you, just making a hypothetical.)

Edited by jschwarb
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jschwarb said:

Well, a stand bag is a stand bag. It's not designed for a cart. Will stand bags be used on carts? Of course, and I will agree that having a blanket policy of not covering stand bags for cart damage is a bit shortsighted from a customer service standpoint. But if someone says "I bought this stand bag and have used it on a cart for six months and this happened ...", as a golfer I'll say "then why did you buy the stand bag?" (And I'm not directing any of this at you, just making a hypothetical.)

For the record, I don’t have a Vessel, but the material that makes up the stand bag and cart bag is identical so their policy (which could have changed but was such at that time) is asinine. Hence, people were appropriately taking Vessel to task. I also pointed out the audacity that they would “screw” their customers on warranty claims, only to later reverse course and sell (overpriced) cart strap covers. 

Edited by dxdgenert
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

12 minutes ago, dxdgenert said:

For the record, I don’t have a Vessel, but the material that makes up the stand bag and cart bag is identical so their policy (which could have changed but was such at that time) is asinine. Hence, people were appropriately taking Vessel to task. I also pointed out the audacity that they would “screw” their customers on warranty claims, only to later reverse course and sell (overpriced) cart strap covers. 

I gotta think that Vessel took care of their customers with free strap covers on request when those came out. Putting them up for sale makes sense, surely there are people who bought them to use with other makers' bags. And it looks like they might be free with new bag purchases now, at least they are with the Player III.

Edited by jschwarb

Not very impressed by the Vessel customer service. Pre-ordered the Player 3.0, 10/24 and payed $470 (after 10% discount) incl. shipping to Norway. Got an order confirmation with a target shipping date 12/14 and thought everything was all good. 12/11 I got an e-mail saying that I had been undercharged for shipping and tax and they wanted an additional $218, totally $688. I replied that I did not want to pay that but change the shipping address to an shipping company with an US address (they charge approx. $100 for the shipping to Norway).  They told me that I needed to cancel my order and place a new one, I asked if I could keep my "line in the queue" and have my new order shipped earlier. I never got an answer on that but have placed a new order which will be shipped end of January. The communication from Vessel has been really slow and not very helpful, I hope the bag is of better standards.

My buddy bought a G Fore Vessel bag and it looks great and so far has held up but I have to admit, between the horrible customer service people are experiencing and design flaws in general, I will not be considering a Vessel going forward and I have been thinking about it... The Stitch SL1 is very nice looking but honestly, the pockets are useless.  Much better bags out there for fractions of the price.  Too bad hearing all these negative experiences.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 12/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Yeah, I am thinking about pulling the trigger on the Player III in grey. I already bought 3 Kell-Pro pads for strapping a cart.

Mr. Wolfe

This is what I use on my my Hoofer Tour Stand. No matter the manufacturer though  , a white bag getting rubbed by a cart strap will always show deterioratIon quicker. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, dxdgenert said:

Does the cart bag have a pass through hole for the strap that would redistribute pressure in other places vs stand bag?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I received my Vessel Player III and it was shipped with their cart strap cover (no charge and didn’t have to ask). It also included a lanyard / clip that secures the legs. This is in addition to the bungee already on the bag that amply holds my bag upright. Not sure if there was feedback about better securing the legs, but seems evident that they are proactively responding to customer feedback. Absolutely beautiful bag and appears very well made. It is replacing my 10 year old Ping Latitude which is as close to a perfect bag IMO for my needs. I think the only thing I will miss on my Ping compared to the Vessel is the extra wide top with dedicated putter well and zippered insulated pocket. However, the abundance of well thought out features and sleeker design of the Vessel more than make up for it. 

Edited by dafisk

I've had mine for over a year now and still really liking it.  Absolutely no regrets on the purchase.  I have been using a cart strap cover from day 1 so can't comment on how it wears without one.  Overall, really pleased.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, TIM929 said:

> @johnabreen said:

> qzmn6pvb9ftp.jpeg

>

>

Thanks for posting.. I didn't think this was possible..

Totally unrelated to this topic, but after seeing this picture I attached my Titleist 14 way Hybrid to my cart this way today. When you get the strap good and tight this was very sturdy and secure and gave access to all pockets and keeps the strap from rubbing the bag. Coolest golf thing I’ve learned in a while...Thanks

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

49 minutes ago, memphishorn said:

Totally unrelated to this topic, but after seeing this picture I attached my Titleist 14 way Hybrid to my cart this way today. When you get the strap good and tight this was very sturdy and secure and gave access to all pockets and keeps the strap from rubbing the bag. Coolest golf thing I’ve learned in a while...Thanks

If you hit a bump that makes the bottom of the bag jump over the lip of the cart base, this could end badly.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 3 months later...

Better get used to their Typical answer…“ a normal wear and tear” and never admit the defect of their bags!! Normal wear and tear from day one of use is unset! Stand bag has big gap on the bottom and things will fall out. It is due to manufacturing defect but they say it is normal and due to wear and tear lol. Who wants a bag with holes at the bottom to have things falling out? Not me! After many emails and pics sent in, answer is “ normal wear and tear” hahaha  They lost me and any future customers if I can help it. 

7 hours ago, Pirañña said:

Better get used to their Typical answer…“ a normal wear and tear” and never admit the defect of their bags!! Normal wear and tear from day one of use is unset! Stand bag has big gap on the bottom and things will fall out. It is due to manufacturing defect but they say it is normal and due to wear and tear lol. Who wants a bag with holes at the bottom to have things falling out? Not me! After many emails and pics sent in, answer is “ normal wear and tear” hahaha  They lost me and any future customers if I can help it. 

Pictures? age of the bag? amount of use?

On 8/1/2019 at 4:20 PM, coach_harris1 said:

Ping would take care of this and or it would never happen to a hoofer. You should get phenomenal customer service for the price of these bags. Overpriced pieces of junk in my opinion.

The current Hoofers have that cart strap slot which really helps with wear. My older Hoofer was starting to wear through, although it took almost 10 years before it was an issue. The nylon on the Hoofer is very durable, the vinyl they use on the Vessel bags looks nice but just isn’t durable. Pleather, from the 70’s has made a comeback. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

8 hours ago, Pirañña said:

yea, show some pictures.  I have a vessel stand bag and it's great and holding up really nicely.  I don't have any gap on the bottom and nothing has even fallen out.  Really nice first post....

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons

On 4/2/2021 at 4:48 PM, memphishorn said:

A little late to this topic.. guess  you guys never seen the Orgio Torq strap from circa 2010-2015. Had it on my Grom bag and it was best thing for attaching onto a cart. Don't even need the cart strap. Club attendents were always very amazed how this thing works. 

2010 Ogio Grom Bag - Independent Golf Reviews

This was a very simple and effective solution and worked extremely well. The bag lasted a long time and still didn't outlast this simple piece of rubber. 

Then again, who's gonna spend big bucks and buy new bags if old ones didn't wear out... 

Edited by mister2cool
  • Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I have to agree with OP on the durability, particularly when using in a cart. I've got a cart bag and i've got a stand bag. The cart bag is the worst off, haha.

Where I play, you're not allowed to carry your own bag and need to follow the caddy, they pass it around from the reception to the caddy place to the cart, and back through the chain when you're finished.

The main points are the tubing decals  and not so much on the bag itself. Sure, they get dirty (shame on me for getting white) but ive not seen any scuffs yet on the body (touch wood). Otherwise, the contact points for the straps on the cart are the main pinch points, especially with 4 other bags rubbing in next to them.

Must admit, it's mostly cosmetic though, still completely functional.

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

Is it stated anywhere, "carry only or expect serious wear and damage"? If not, call them, don't email them. I've been using one of the original OGIO Grom, 14 way top, bags since 2009. It shows NO WEAR and I NEVER WALK, except from the truck to the cart and most times, I don't even do that.

CALL THE MAN AND DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:59 PM, thevaporz said:

Put a extra towel between the strap and your bag.

This.  I've always used that strategy.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

23 hours ago, mister2cool said:

A little late to this topic.. guess  you guys never seen the Orgio Torq strap from circa 2010-2015. Had it on my Grom bag and it was best thing for attaching onto a cart. Don't even need the cart strap. Club attendents were always very amazed how this thing works. 

2010 Ogio Grom Bag - Independent Golf Reviews

This was a very simple and effective solution and worked extremely well. The bag lasted a long time and still didn't outlast this simple piece of rubber. 

Then again, who's gonna spend big bucks and buy new bags if old ones didn't wear out... 

I also had a Grom back them with the torque strap and it was great. I have recently bought a Black Player 2.0 bought a couple of seat belt covers for the cart straps and they work great.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

55 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

I bought a Player 3 bag a couple of months and honestly, it isn’t holding up very well to primarily cart riding. I have to wipe it down after virtually every round. Lots of rub marks on the bag that aren’t coming out. Overall, probably the worst bag I’ve bought ever. 

wow, I have the mostly white one and use a cart almost exclusively and haven't had any issues at all.  I do use a strap cover but otherwise it's as good or better than other bags I've had.  The white definitely takes a little more cleaning than a darker one but magic clean eraser works great.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

You should have received an material sleeve that goes over the cart strap! This will eliminate markings on the bag. The material used is high end and will not tear or rip with normal wear. The downside is that it marks easy. Don't laugh, but spray small amounts of WD40 over the bag! It helps with scuffmarks and repels dirt. Hope this helps.