Change chip/pitch trajectory by changing clubs or ball position?

Hi,

when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hit all my short pitches with a 58 degree wedge but when chipping vary clubs according to how far I want to fly the ball and how much I want it to run out.

> @Obee said: > > @barnum1 said: > > Hi, > > when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combin

> @barnum1 said:

> Hi,

> when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

> Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

> What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

Ball position for me.

I do chip with 2 clubs around the green: LW (85%?) and SW (15%?). Usually, though, just moving the ball back to make the LW launch lower and run out more. I only use the SW from uphill lies or when I have a LOT of green to work with.

Edited to say I only use the SW from uphill lies or have a LOT of green to work with.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I always play a lob wedge with a forward ball position (left nipple). For a low shot, square face and drive thumbs through!

M5 9.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, Neutral Adapter/Weight

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 

(B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

> @Obee said:

> > @barnum1 said:

> > Hi,

> > when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

> > Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

> > What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

>

> Ball position for me.

>

> I do chip with 2 clubs around the green: LW (85%?) and SW (15%?). Usually, though, just moving the ball back to make the LW launch lower and run out more. I only use the SW from uphill lies or when I have a LOT of green to work with.

>

> Edited to say I only use the SW from uphill lies or have a LOT of green to work with.

I would echo this, for me it's 54 and 60. 54 is only used from just off the green and plenty of green to work with. 60 for everything else inside probably 85 yards. Can't really see using a wide range of clubs beneficial in the long run. Much easier to develop a precise feel for distance, spin, and trajectory control with one or two clubs than upwards of 5 clubs.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60

Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70

Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG2 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @JJK947 said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @barnum1 said:

> > > Hi,

> > > when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

> > > Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

> > > What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

> >

> > Ball position for me.

> >

> > I do chip with 2 clubs around the green: LW (85%?) and SW (15%?). Usually, though, just moving the ball back to make the LW launch lower and run out more. I only use the SW from uphill lies or when I have a LOT of green to work with.

> >

> > Edited to say I only use the SW from uphill lies or have a LOT of green to work with.

>

> I would echo this, for me it's 54 and 60. 54 is only used from just off the green and plenty of green to work with. 60 for everything else inside probably 85 yards. Can't really see using a wide range of clubs beneficial in the long run. Much easier to develop a precise feel for distance, spin, and trajectory control with one or two clubs than upwards of 5 clubs.

Tour guys are all over the map with this. I'd love to actually see a study on how many of them use LW well more than 50% of the time around the greens. My guess would be somewhere around 30 - 50% of them?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > > @Obee said:

> > > > @barnum1 said:

> > > > Hi,

> > > > when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

> > > > Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

> > > > What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

> > >

> > > Ball position for me.

> > >

> > > I do chip with 2 clubs around the green: LW (85%?) and SW (15%?). Usually, though, just moving the ball back to make the LW launch lower and run out more. I only use the SW from uphill lies or when I have a LOT of green to work with.

> > >

> > > Edited to say I only use the SW from uphill lies or have a LOT of green to work with.

> >

> > I would echo this, for me it's 54 and 60. 54 is only used from just off the green and plenty of green to work with. 60 for everything else inside probably 85 yards. Can't really see using a wide range of clubs beneficial in the long run. Much easier to develop a precise feel for distance, spin, and trajectory control with one or two clubs than upwards of 5 clubs.

>

> Tour guys are all over the map with this. I'd love to actually see a study on how many of them use LW well more than 50% of the time around the greens. My guess would be somewhere around 30 - 50% of them?

I'd be interested to know this as well. My best guess is that it might come down to wedge set up. I would imagine the 54/60 guys would tend to use 60 at a higher percentage than the guys that use the 52/56/60 type setup. Can't see a ton of use for wedges with less than 56 degrees of loft around the greens on a course set up for the Tour in the US.

Taylormade SIM (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60

Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70

Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG2 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @JJK947 said:

> > @Obee said:

> > > @barnum1 said:

> > > Hi,

> > > when you are chipping/pitching around the greens, do you change clubs or ball position to get the trajectory you want? (Or a combination?)

> > > Back in the days, I was taught to use a 7i/8i for low chips and PW/SW for high pitches, and then adjust the ball position in the stance to get different trajectory. But now our pro adviced to keep the ball in the middle of the stance and use a wide range of clubs (7i to LW I guess).

> > > What do the big shots do (if applicable to an 11-handicapper :smile: )?

> >

> > Ball position for me.

> >

> > I do chip with 2 clubs around the green: LW (85%?) and SW (15%?). Usually, though, just moving the ball back to make the LW launch lower and run out more. I only use the SW from uphill lies or when I have a LOT of green to work with.

> >

> > Edited to say I only use the SW from uphill lies or have a LOT of green to work with.

>

> I would echo this, for me it's 54 and 60. 54 is only used from just off the green and plenty of green to work with. 60 for everything else inside probably 85 yards. Can't really see using a wide range of clubs beneficial in the long run. Much easier to develop a precise feel for distance, spin, and trajectory control with one or two clubs than upwards of 5 clubs.

I double echo this. I'd say that if you can make consistent contact with good (Use the Bounce) technique, then you should be able to make most "around the green" shots with one club, which really helps develop your feel for distance. For me right now, that club is my 58M Vokey. Personally, I find that using various clubs makes it harder for me to visualize the launch/spin that I will get, and therefore I struggle with distance control. However, I do agree, that a lower loft is sometimes necessary for long and/or uphill chips, so I practice those with my 54*.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with Proforce V2
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* hybrids with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with NV 105
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 52F-12 with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 56D-11 with RIP Tour 115
Vokey WedgeWorks 60T-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

you can change soo many things with one club. hand forward and back, ball position forward or back, weight forward or back, how you release the club. My recommendation is to find a low and mid trajectory shot that you become very comfortable with and play those 90% of the time. The high flop shot has many variables (grass,ground, grind, ect) and shouldn't be over used.

FYi,

I am in the same boat as many where I use 1 club, my lob. If I want to hit it like a 7 iron, I put it back in my stance, hands forward, let the head turn over thru impact. This is a shot that i will hit on longer chips, uphill, into grain, all to allow rollout and avoid the checking chip.

Ball forward, middle or back are three (slightly) different shots. They do have slightly different trajectories but not nearly as different as, say, the difference between an 8-iron vs. gap wedge. So the basic trajectory is decided by the club I choose and then I might choose ball forward or back depending on the situation.

Normally I'd use the middle ball position but if I want to clip the ball more I'd move it back and if I want to engage the bounce more I'd move it forward. I try not to manipulate my hands forward and back, that's just too unreliable. But moving the ball 8" forward or 8" back is easy and repeatable.

both, I used to chip with my 48 degree PW but in the last month have incorporated my 54 and 60. I use different ball positions as well. There are a lot of factors that determine which club I use but one of the biggest is the speed at which I have to hit the ball. I like to keep that in a small window so far shots PW and close shots 60 etc. If the rough is thick I like to use the 60 as I have to swing harder which is easier to get through the rough.

I tend to use 60 primarily, if I have extra room I'll use 54. One particular shot always gave me a lot of trouble. My home course has a couple of greens with severe upslopes; with the pin on the back tier & the ball just in front of the green, I've found it much better to use a PW or 9-iron to get the ball up the slope & all the way to the back tier. A higher lofted club played back in the stance will produce a similar trajectory but spins much more & the ball digs into the slope & ends up rolling back on the bottom tier.

On chip shots with a good to decent lie, I like getting the ball on the ground as fast as possible. I have a standard ball position and swing, and I change the club depending on how far I need to ball to go. I try to have as few variables as I can.

All bets off though on weird or buried lies. If I'm short sided and in some thick rough I'm probably taking my Hi Toe out and opening the face up, regardless if it's 10, 15 or 20 yards, etc.

Taylormade SIM Max 9* - Ventus Black 6x

Cobra Speedzone Big 3 Tour - Accra FX 2.0 370 M5

Cobra Speedzone - Accra FX 2.0 380 M5 (Testing SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 95 6.5)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Custom Atwood

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

I generally use my 58* vokey for everything inside of 70 yds. There are of course exceptions, under trees mainly and also those short sided shots to the pin where you are just into the rough. Normally I don't use the back ball position either, as I want to use the bounce as much as I can on chips and pitches.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade M6 

3w: Taylormade 2016 M2

5w: Taylormade 2017 M2

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 4i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

> @jonsnow said:

> I tend to use 60 primarily, if I have extra room I'll use 54. One particular shot always gave me a lot of trouble. My home course has a couple of greens with severe upslopes; with the pin on the back tier & the ball just in front of the green, I've found it much better to use a PW or 9-iron to get the ball up the slope & all the way to the back tier. A higher lofted club played back in the stance will produce a similar trajectory but spins much more & the ball digs into the slope & ends up rolling back on the bottom tier.

I deliberately take it to an extreme and use a 7-iron in those situations. It just drives me nuts when even a 9-iron shot that I happen to nip cleanly does that little dig on the first bounce and comes up 20 feet short. Never yet seen a 7-iron check up on a 25-yard chip shot that only travels 5 yards in the air!