2019 Wyndham Championship

Darth Putter

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > JT Poston with a 62 becomes the 14th first time winner on the PGA Tour this year.

> >

>

>

> Jokes aside. Serious statement. I think the above is the issue. It may be good for the tour long term. But it’s really a buzz kill for a fan who likes to see dominance week in and out. As in , if everyone’s great then really nobody is great.

I don't know what to do with the stretch from the Masters to the Open. For a lot of guys, it's every other week during this period. It will never happen but it almost feels like you could get rid of the tournament after the major and then let guys play every other week (Masters-Quail Hollow-PGA-Memorial-US Open like) or the week before in whatever tournament is there.

Before the Masters the two WGCs seem to clog things up. Personally, I don't think these courses or tournaments are any better than some of the others in the schedule then but the players gravitate towards the WGCs given money/ranking points. But these events do get most of the top players all playing together at the same time. Are we willing to give that up to have more tournaments with ~30-40 of the Top 50 playing to avoid the weeks were hardly any of the best guys play (and the no name winner)?

Then again, I may think differently I was a player somewhere in the 50-125 ranking...

> @bscinstnct said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > So have the playoffs started ? Or is it over ? Today was pretty ..... I don’t want to say boring. But I watched the past 3 holes wanting it to hurry up and end so I could say it was over.

> >

> > PGA Championship starts next Thursday, the World Series of Golf from Firestone the week after

>

> Think I head over there and see

>

> Tigerrrrrr!

>

>

Please, Big Cat's not even making the cut.

1. Major Machine

2. DJ

3. Spieth (I don't care about the MDF this week, he's close)

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > So have the playoffs started ? Or is it over ? Today was pretty ..... I don’t want to say boring. But I watched the past 3 holes wanting it to hurry up and end so I could say it was over.

> > >

> > > PGA Championship starts next Thursday, the World Series of Golf from Firestone the week after

> >

> > Think I head over there and see

> >

> > Tigerrrrrr!

> >

> >

>

> Please, Big Cat's not even making the cut.

>

> 1. Major Machine

> 2. DJ

> 3. Spieth (I don't care about the MDF this week, he's close)

Ye of little faith.

TW gonna smoke those chumps.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > So have the playoffs started ? Or is it over ? Today was pretty ..... I don’t want to say boring. But I watched the past 3 holes wanting it to hurry up and end so I could say it was over.

>

> PGA Championship starts next Thursday, the World Series of Golf from Firestone the week after

If only.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > So have the playoffs started ? Or is it over ? Today was pretty ..... I don’t want to say boring. But I watched the past 3 holes wanting it to hurry up and end so I could say it was over.

> >

> > PGA Championship starts next Thursday, the World Series of Golf from Firestone the week after

>

> If only.

Are you saying you're not a fan of great golf? Just a fan of great golfers?

How do you know who's great if you don't want to watch them get started? Every great has to win their first.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > So have the playoffs started ? Or is it over ? Today was pretty ..... I don’t want to say boring. But I watched the past 3 holes wanting it to hurry up and end so I could say it was over.

> > >

> > > PGA Championship starts next Thursday, the World Series of Golf from Firestone the week after

> >

> > If only.

>

> Are you saying you're not a fan of great golf? Just a fan of great golfers?

> How do you know who's great if you don't want to watch them get started? Every great has to win their first.

At the current rate there will be the “ big 27” in 10 years. The issue with that is that instead of the top 5-7 guys duking it out , you get them taking turns or shifts ....guys like Jason Day May turn up when they can headline or collect appearance fee , then an Adam scott will take his turn next week etc. its getting to where the only time you see some of them together are the 4 majors and the players.

If the regular pga tour events are to be a feeder tour above the Korn ferry they need to name it something. Half the events are won by first timers ? That’s an issue of non participation or selective participation in my opinion... and half of those first timers will only win that one time. And next year they will repeat until 10 years from now we’re talking about 3 wins as being a hall of fame career. Extreme example? Always. But the slippery slope do slide that way.

To answer your question ....I believe great golf is like Phil / stenson duel or Phil / Sergio duel type stuff. You have to have a close competitor. There was nobody pushing that 62 today. Was just cruise control on a heater. Somebody taking that lead today would have shown us how good the guy was.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's been a big fall for Daniel Berger who was on the President's Cup team just 2 years ago but finished at 131 in the FedEx this season. His exemption from winning the 2017 St Jude also runs out this season.

Think he goes to the KF Finals or just decides to play in limited events out of the 126-150 conditional status category next season? Talor Gooch was able to get his card back this season doing that. Unfortunately the St Jude is now a WGC event so Berger can't win that again unless he gets back into the WGC's at some point.

> @snizzle said:

> It's been a big fall for Daniel Berger who was on the President's Cup team just 2 years ago but finished at 131 in the FedEx this season. His exemption from winning the 2017 St Jude also runs out this season.

> Think he goes to the KF Finals or just decides to play in limited events out of the 126-150 conditional status category next season? Talor Gooch was able to get his card back this season doing that. Unfortunately the St Jude is now a WGC event so Berger can't win that again unless he gets back into the WGC's at some point.

and will they continue to use him in the geico commercials? ...

Guess Hovland was smart to sign with Ping....or maybe not and its hurting him.

Wolff and Morikawa seem to be doing just fine!

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @tiderider said:

> pat perez misses the cut at 125th position and stays there after the weekend ... wonder what he did for those two days?

>

>

Hangin out, drinkin beer, doing pat perez stuff.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @OldBridge said:

> Hovland is a victim of the compressed schedule. I'd bet he gets his card in the KF Finals, though.

Compressed schedule didn't bother Morikawa, Wolff or Doc Redman. Hovland should get through the KF finals easily based on his current form. Only 3 playoff events this year for KF Tour. 1 top ten should do the trick. Hovland has a pretty good perspective on things.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/viktor-hovland-65-korn-ferry-tour-finals-after-falling-short-earning-pga-tour-card

Hovland’s point total only included his results since turning pro, meaning he received no credit for his T-12 finish at Pebble Beach or his T-32 result at Augusta National since those came when he was an amateur. While that technicality ultimately cost Hovland guaranteed status for next season, he harbored no ill feelings.

_“I already knew that it wasn’t going to count. So I mean, it is what it is,” Hovland said. “I just should have played a little bit better and it wouldn’t have been a problem. No, I don’t have any complaints.”_

> @OldBridge said:

> Hovland is a victim of the compressed schedule. I'd bet he gets his card in the KF Finals, though.

Yes he ran out of time..would've earned at least another start with the top 10 finish today.

The thing that really hurt him was not earning any FedEx points for the high finishes he racked up as an amateur at Bay Hill, the US Open, Masters.

> @tiderider said:

> > @snizzle said:

> > It's been a big fall for Daniel Berger who was on the President's Cup team just 2 years ago but finished at 131 in the FedEx this season. His exemption from winning the 2017 St Jude also runs out this season.

> > Think he goes to the KF Finals or just decides to play in limited events out of the 126-150 conditional status category next season? Talor Gooch was able to get his card back this season doing that. Unfortunately the St Jude is now a WGC event so Berger can't win that again unless he gets back into the WGC's at some point.

>

> and will they continue to use him in the geico commercials? ...

>

Some are apparently thinking Berger might get some kind of medical exemption for next season since he missed all of last Fall due to an injury..guess we'll find out soon enough.

I haven't really seen many Berger commercials lately. If I were him I'd dump Callaway at this point though..His game has gone downhill since he switched to them in 2017.

> @snizzle said:

> > @OldBridge said:

> > Hovland is a victim of the compressed schedule. I'd bet he gets his card in the KF Finals, though.

>

> Yes he ran out of time..would've earned at least another start with the top 10 finish today.

> **The thing that really hurt him was not earning any FedEx points for the high finishes he racked up as an amateur at Bay Hill,** the US Open, Masters.

>

>

T40 at Bay Hill is considered a high finish?

Top 125 was largely unaffected with the exception of the following:

**IN** Kizzire, Landry

**OUT** Streb, Noren

Can't imagine Wyndham will be overly happy giving away a truck load of money away when only one player in the top 10 showed up (Casey) albeit Webb Simpson moved into the top 10 with his performance at Sedgefield.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I really like how there are opposite field events so the lower ranked guys have a chance to battle it out and gain a tour card versus lower competition. This gives them chances to earn more and move up the rankings and more time to develop. Then below that there is the KF Tour. The setup really makes sense to me right now.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Soloman1 said:

> Perez had a win in 2018, so he's still exempt through 2020 season.

Yeah the two players who moved into the top 125, Kizzire and Landry, were both exempt for next year but clearly want to make the playoffs regardless. Got to be in it to win it even if its unlikely.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @snizzle said:

> > @OldBridge said:

> > Hovland is a victim of the compressed schedule. I'd bet he gets his card in the KF Finals, though.

>

> Yes he ran out of time..would've earned at least another start with the top 10 finish today.

> The thing that really hurt him was not earning any FedEx points for the high finishes he racked up as an amateur at Bay Hill, the US Open, Masters.

>

>

The killer bogey for Hovland was the one at the 72nd at the John Deere. It knocked him out of the Top 10 and cost him a spot at the Barbasol. A par there and I have a feeling we're not having this conversation.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Top 125 was largely unaffected with the exception of the following:

> **IN** Kizzire, Landry

> **OUT** Streb, Noren

>

> Can't imagine Wyndham will be overly happy giving away a truck load of money away when only one player in the top 10 showed up (Casey) albeit Webb Simpson moved into the top 10 with his performance at Sedgefield.

Justin Rose was the big loser yesterday. Falling from #10 to #11 cost him $500,000.

The Wyndham was caught in a bad spot with most of the top players scheduled to play five out of six weeks. Paul Casey went to Greensboro and will be skipping the Northern Trust.

Next year circumstances change...

British Open

3M

Olympics (no event)

Wyndham

Playoffs

Four in a row may not be so bad. It probably depends on how the race is going. Also, there will be those in Greensboro in search of Ryder Cup points.

First place OWGR points went from 34 to 44 this year and I think we'll see this tournament clear the 50 mark next year.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Hovland must be thinking if only...

>

A little over $200,000 and 65ish FedEx Cup points.

He's probably still a point or two short.

If The Masters were to follow suit on this, I would expect to see all the male US Amateur winners turn pro after the event or the Walker Cup depending on the year. That would be two events that offer the most points and money that the players ranked 75-150 most likely won't have access to, a big advantage.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Hovland must be thinking if only...

> >

>

> A little over $200,000 and 65ish FedEx Cup points.

> He's probably still a point or two short.

>

>

> If The Masters were to follow suit on this, I would expect to see all the male US Amateur winners turn pro after the event or the Walker Cup depending on the year. That would be two events that offer the most points and money that the players ranked 75-150 most likely won't have access to, a big advantage.

>

>

Big picture, I don't think it matters. Looking at his numbers, especially driving, tee-to-green etc., I can only envisage success for him.

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]