2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best courses in the Ayrshire area.

So i'm travelling to the centre of Ayr later in the year, staying at the Savoy park hotel which looks nice enough, never been to Ayr before, i go to St Andrews every year but this year i thought i'd give Ayr a go as well, wife didnt seem to mind me having 2 golf breaks this year! going for 3 nights, probably could get 3 rounds in

So just asking peoples thoughts on the best courses to play in the area, i know about the two most famous courses there, Prestwick and Turnberry, and Turnberry is definitely on the list, i think..

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

> @"El Gringo" said:

> Superbrit

>

> Just play Prestwick twice. The club does a two games in seven days deal which is very attractive.

>

> Ciao

Doesnt sound like a bad idea

I was actually thinking

Turnberry

Prestwick

Dundonald Links or Prestwick St Nicholas

(not sure i can justify spending £250 to play Troon)

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

Dundonald is good, even though its "dunes" are essentially man-made. Right across the railroad line I really enjoyed Western Gailes. Glasgow Gailes was fun, and very welcoming, although not as dramatic nor as challenging, more of a locals course than a tourist course. Prestwick is really special, and a second round there might help you to understand a few of the blind shots and unusual lines you need to take.

Just arrived in North Berwick after a week in Troon. Prestwick was wonderful, our morning at Royal Troon yesterday was awesome. Also played Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock (Barassie) and West Kilbride. I loved the company and really enjoyed Barassie for the comp I played, but West Kilbride is hard to beat for the views from everywhere of those three IMO. Great views at St. Nicholas as well. Prestwick has some special holes. My par on the Postage Stamp and the round I played yesterday at Royal Troon the golf highlights so far. So much history to absorb at those two. We went back to Royal Troon before dinner to take some photos and a member I recognized from lunch and said hello to was kind enough to share some time with us and providing some interesting information. Caddie master at Prestwick was a riot.

davep

I like Dundonald and they do good twilight rates, but the man-made dunes are odd. They don't seem to flow in one direction. I can understand if the goal is to hide some exterior ugliness, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

A good way to see three courses, if you skip the big guns...Gailes Golf Experience...I think there are a few versions of this package deal.

Ciao

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Just arrived in North Berwick after a week in Troon. Prestwick was wonderful, our morning at Royal Troon yesterday was awesome. Also played Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock (Barassie) and West Kilbride. I loved the company and really enjoyed Barassie for the comp I played, but West Kilbride is hard to beat for the views from everywhere of those three IMO. Great views at St. Nicholas as well. Prestwick has some special holes. My par on the Postage Stamp and the round I played yesterday at Royal Troon the golf highlights so far. So much history to absorb at those two. We went back to Royal Troon before dinner to take some photos and a member I recognized from lunch and said hello to was kind enough to share some time with us and providing some interesting information. Caddie master at Prestwick was a riot.

sent a pm ...

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Just arrived in North Berwick after a week in Troon. Prestwick was wonderful, our morning at Royal Troon yesterday was awesome. Also played Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock (Barassie) and West Kilbride. I loved the company and really enjoyed Barassie for the comp I played, but West Kilbride is hard to beat for the views from everywhere of those three IMO. Great views at St. Nicholas as well. Prestwick has some special holes. My par on the Postage Stamp and the round I played yesterday at Royal Troon the golf highlights so far. So much history to absorb at those two. We went back to Royal Troon before dinner to take some photos and a member I recognized from lunch and said hello to was kind enough to share some time with us and providing some interesting information. Caddie master at Prestwick was a riot.

You got to West Kilbride, cool! Looks a good shout.

Prestwick really is something else, good to hear you're enjoying yourself :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @tiderider said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Just arrived in North Berwick after a week in Troon. Prestwick was wonderful, our morning at Royal Troon yesterday was awesome. Also played Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock (Barassie) and West Kilbride. I loved the company and really enjoyed Barassie for the comp I played, but West Kilbride is hard to beat for the views from everywhere of those three IMO. Great views at St. Nicholas as well. Prestwick has some special holes. My par on the Postage Stamp and the round I played yesterday at Royal Troon the golf highlights so far. So much history to absorb at those two. We went back to Royal Troon before dinner to take some photos and a member I recognized from lunch and said hello to was kind enough to share some time with us and providing some interesting information. Caddie master at Prestwick was a riot.

>

> sent a pm ...

I like assignments! ;-)

Ayrshire is a great place to base yourself for golf. Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though.

Golf wise you obviously have the "big 4" of Turnberry, Royal Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes. After that you have Dundonald, Glasgow Gailes and Troon Portland which are all tremendous courses in their own right, in my opinion fractionally below the big 4 I already mentioned. Kilmarnock Barassie is always worth a visit and again, possibly just a bit below the last three courses I mentioned. Then you have West Kilbride, St Nicholas and Irvine Bogside which are nice. I probably prefer WK the best out of those three however opinions will vary depending on who you chat too. And I've not even mentioned the "wee" course at Turnberry or a fun day out on Arran sampling the delightful Shiskine.

You won't be stuck for golf.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Ditto on Ayr looking a bit tired. Don't buy a quiche pie and eat it walking down the sidewalk even in the middle of downtown - gull destroyed mine and took a wee bit of my palm as well. Luckily I had a beef pie in reserve, lol.

Enjoyed walking around Troon, especially along the sea and it is set up for that nicely. We walked along the sea a bit in Largs as well, the business district was really, really busy with folks.

> @thecraw said:

> Ayrshire is a great place to base yourself for golf. Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though.

>

> Golf wise you obviously have the "big 4" of Turnberry, Royal Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes. After that you have Dundonald, Glasgow Gailes and Troon Portland which are all tremendous courses in their own right, in my opinion fractionally below the big 4 I already mentioned. Kilmarnock Barassie is always worth a visit and again, possibly just a bit below the last three courses I mentioned. Then you have West Kilbride, St Nicholas and Irvine Bogside which are nice. I probably prefer WK the best out of those three however opinions will vary depending on who you chat too. And I've not even mentioned the "wee" course at Turnberry or a fun day out on Arran sampling the delightful Shiskine.

>

> You won't be stuck for golf.

"Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though" - oh god really, i was always under the impression Ayr was similar to St Andrews just bigger?

Due to conflicting dates we are going up for a days in between xmas and new year now (always go away each year, gets me away from the in laws) so golf will be very weather dependant, and if we like the area we were going up for longer purposely for golf early next year

Even if its run down a bit im still away from the in laws, and all the places in scotland we have visited ive never not liked a place

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

> @Superbrit said:

> > @thecraw said:

> > Ayrshire is a great place to base yourself for golf. Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though.

> >

> > Golf wise you obviously have the "big 4" of Turnberry, Royal Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes. After that you have Dundonald, Glasgow Gailes and Troon Portland which are all tremendous courses in their own right, in my opinion fractionally below the big 4 I already mentioned. Kilmarnock Barassie is always worth a visit and again, possibly just a bit below the last three courses I mentioned. Then you have West Kilbride, St Nicholas and Irvine Bogside which are nice. I probably prefer WK the best out of those three however opinions will vary depending on who you chat too. And I've not even mentioned the "wee" course at Turnberry or a fun day out on Arran sampling the delightful Shiskine.

> >

> > You won't be stuck for golf.

>

> "Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though" - oh god really, i was always under the impression Ayr was similar to St Andrews just bigger?

>

> Due to conflicting dates we are going up for a days in between xmas and new year now (always go away each year, gets me away from the in laws) so golf will be very weather dependant, and if we like the area we were going up for longer purposely for golf early next year

>

> Even if its run down a bit im still away from the in laws, and all the places in scotland we have visited ive never not liked a place

>

>

Having now been to both, I don't see a lot of very favorable comparisons between Ayr and St. Andrews at all in any number of categories. Ayr seems distinctly more urban which is okay (seems to be lots of good restaurant options), that's what it is, but even walking about St. Andrews you don't feel claustrophobic and of course with the Old Course area and the sea a little more friendly IMO to view and walk, along with the University/Cathedral/Castle, etc., just found St. Andrews to be pretty special. Seems a little more "wide open" to me anyway.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Superbrit said:

> >

> > "Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though" - oh god really, i was always under the impression Ayr was similar to St Andrews just bigger?

> >

> > Due to conflicting dates we are going up for a days in between xmas and new year now (always go away each year, gets me away from the in laws) so golf will be very weather dependant, and if we like the area we were going up for longer purposely for golf early next year

> >

> > Even if its run down a bit im still away from the in laws, and all the places in scotland we have visited ive never not liked a place

> >

> >

>

> Having now been to both, I don't see a lot of very favorable comparisons between Ayr and St. Andrews at all in any number of categories. Ayr seems distinctly more urban which is okay (seems to be lots of good restaurant options), that's what it is, but even walking about St. Andrews you don't feel claustrophobic and of course with the Old Course area and the sea a little more friendly IMO to view and walk, along with the University/Cathedral/Castle, etc., just found St. Andrews to be pretty special. Seems a little more "wide open" to me anyway.

>

>

I've been to St Andrews a few times, and last summer I visited Ayrshire, staying right across from Prestwick GC. I agree, Prestwick and Ayr seem more urban, or perhaps more suburban, with Glasgow so close. That's not to advise against staying in that area, we loved our time there, but its a different feel than St Andrews.

> @davep043 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @Superbrit said:

> > >

> > > "Be warned that the town of Ayr is pretty run down these days though" - oh god really, i was always under the impression Ayr was similar to St Andrews just bigger?

> > >

> > > Due to conflicting dates we are going up for a days in between xmas and new year now (always go away each year, gets me away from the in laws) so golf will be very weather dependant, and if we like the area we were going up for longer purposely for golf early next year

> > >

> > > Even if its run down a bit im still away from the in laws, and all the places in scotland we have visited ive never not liked a place

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Having now been to both, I don't see a lot of very favorable comparisons between Ayr and St. Andrews at all in any number of categories. Ayr seems distinctly more urban which is okay (seems to be lots of good restaurant options), that's what it is, but even walking about St. Andrews you don't feel claustrophobic and of course with the Old Course area and the sea a little more friendly IMO to view and walk, along with the University/Cathedral/Castle, etc., just found St. Andrews to be pretty special. Seems a little more "wide open" to me anyway.

> >

> >

> I've been to St Andrews a few times, and last summer I visited Ayrshire, staying right across from Prestwick GC. I agree, Prestwick and Ayr seem more urban, or perhaps more suburban, with Glasgow so close. That's not to advise against staying in that area, we loved our time there, but its a different feel than St Andrews.

>

That's it, it's simply sprawly, as opposed to somewhere like St. Andrews or North Berwick where there is more countryside around the towns and the distinction is clearer.

TBF - it's easy enough to stay in Glasgow and drive down, play 18 or 36 and pop back up. Although I understand the appeal and ease of being 5-15mins from the courses.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 1 year later...

Piggyback on this topic.

Looking to stay 3 nights in Troon area.  Any pros/cons of staying there vs. Turnberry?  Turnberry seems much more luxurious, but a bit isolated.  Troon seems nice, with multiple options within walking distance of Royal Troon.

Also, what dining/pub options near Royal Troon?

Edited by ousuxndallas

I'll comment based primarily on past research, I've stayed in Prestwick but not in Troon or Turnberry.  I think your assessment is correct, Turnberry is a self-contained resort set well away from any significant village, while Troon is a small town.  I'm certain that Turnberry is very posh, but I'd feel a bit isolated there.  I'll always prefer staying in the town, and being walking distance to pubs and restaurants.  Being in Troon also gives you a much larger selection of golf courses in pretty close proximity, with Troon itself, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes Kilmarnock, and Dundonald to the north, Prestwick to the south, and I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

Thanks, Dave.  Good feedback.  Any reason why you stayed in Prestwick vs. Troon?

Right now, we have 36 holes at Troon booked for a Monday, with Prestwick set for Sunday afternoon.  Looks like Turnberry for Saturday afternoon.  Only there 3 days before heading to St Andrews for Tues-Friday.

My buddy made those arrangements, and I never complain when someone else takes the lead.   We stayed directly across the street from Prestwick, at the Golf View Guest House, a great location, very pleasant innkeeper, and I know she helped my friend make the other golf arrangements.  We played Dundonald, Western Gailes, Glasgow Gailes, and Prestwick, and then headed to East Lothian for a few more days.

• Like 1

If you’re booked for 36 at Troon, just stay at the Marine. Great views from the bar and restaurant!  I’ve eaten at the Prestwick Pioneer a few times, good beer selection and decent menu. 

As for golf, Troon, Dundonald and Western Gailes are your best bets for mainstream courses, all near one another. Really enjoyed Glasgow Gailes, very fair, not as “modern” feeling as other courses but you have a great chance of putting up a good score on it!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We are booked for quite the swing through the Ayr region.

Saturday: Western Gailes

Sunday: Turnberry Ailsa, Prestwick

Monday: Troon Portland, Troon Old Course

Staying at Marine Hotel across the street from Troon.  Looking forward to enjoying the whisky and golf!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:17 AM, Superbrit said:

So i'm travelling to the centre of Ayr later in the year, staying at the Savoy park hotel which looks nice enough, never been to Ayr before, i go to St Andrews every year but this year i thought i'd give Ayr a go as well, wife didnt seem to mind me having 2 golf breaks this year! going for 3 nights, probably could get 3 rounds in

So just asking peoples thoughts on the best courses to play in the area, i know about the two most famous courses there, Prestwick and Turnberry, and Turnberry is definitely on the list, i think..

Troon……

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

19 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We are booked for quite the swing through the Ayr region.

Saturday: Western Gailes

Sunday: Turnberry Ailsa, Prestwick

Monday: Troon Portland, Troon Old Course

Staying at Marine Hotel across the street from Troon.  Looking forward to enjoying the whisky and golf!

If not too late, you may want to look elsewhere over Western Gailes.  Played there this past Saturday and they had a hole with a temporary green, others had been been punched, and multiple areas of ground under repair that were in landing areas.  None of these were described to us at check in or when booking.

1 hour ago, Bbo569 said:

If not too late, you may want to look elsewhere over Western Gailes.  Played there this past Saturday and they had a hole with a temporary green, others had been been punched, and multiple areas of ground under repair that were in landing areas.  None of these were described to us at check in or when booking.

Interesting.  We're not scheduled to be there until July after the Open - I would think those repairs would be made by then, but who knows?

Going back and forth between playing WG on one day, then 36 split between Turnberry/Prestwick.  Or playing Turnberry one day and Prestwick the other, and skipping Western Gailes.  Trying to play Turnberry in late morning, then rushing over to catch PM round at Prestwick is a challenge. 

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

Interesting.  We're not scheduled to be there until July after the Open - I would think those repairs would be made by then, but who knows?

Going back and forth between playing WG on one day, then 36 split between Turnberry/Prestwick.  Or playing Turnberry one day and Prestwick the other, and skipping Western Gailes.  Trying to play Turnberry in late morning, then rushing over to catch PM round at Prestwick is a challenge. 

Hopefully so.  Loved the layout, so if they get it sorted then definitely recommend.  

5 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

A challenge? You have the advantage of daylight, but don't underestimate the drive.