2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 LPGA Q-School

18majors

Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

**Scenario 1: Do / say nothing; nobody finds out anything** - Christina Kim lets a competitor benefit from breaking the rule about advice, quietly gets her card for 2020, and always has it stick in her craw about how when faced with a situation like this she didn't follow the rules of golf and protect the field (_**Gets LPGA status + shame**_)

**Scenario 2: Do / say nothing; somehow it comes out and everyone admits their part** - Potential disqualification for Kim for not doing what she was supposed to and she misses out on her card for 2020 (_**Loses LPGA status + shame**_)

**Scenario 3: Do / say nothing; somehow it comes out and when asked about it feigns ignorance** - Kim avoids disqualification, quietly gets her card for 2020, and always has it stick in her craw about how when faced with a situation like this she didn't follow the rules of golf and protect the field (**_Gets LPGA status + shame_**)

**Scenario 4: Say something to the players directly at the time; official called over and penalties assessed** - Likely mid-round meltdowns from Dye (based on Dye's strange statement where she said it's done all the time) and Dewi Weber, Kim avoids disqualification, gets her card for 2020. (**_Gets LPGA status + scene made_**)

**Scenario 5 (What actually happened): Ask an official directly, report what happened, and let the committee handle it; penalties assessed** - Kim avoids disqualification, gets her card for 2020, and gets the modern social media treatment (**_Gets LPGA status + two days of Twitter hell_**)

Bottom line, Kendall Dye's ignorance of [rule 10.2a](https://www.randa.org/Rog/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Golf/Rule-10#10-2 "rule 10.2a") at Q-School led to the situation and forced Christina Kim into a dilemma that really only had one acceptable choice: report it and move on.

As far as the Twitter stuff goes, I can see Christina Kim's cryptic tweet as an effort to get in front of this story before it became a rumor that spirals out of control. She didn't name names and relayed just how gutted she was to be the person to have to point out a legitimate rules violation.

Oh, and Weber should fire her caddie.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

>

> Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

>

> The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

>

> But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

That's totally correct. The two players putting it on Kim is just plain idiotic. For one, seeing it done a bazillion times and never reporting it makes it even worse. They say they take full responsibility but didn't like that Kim told them about the penalty after the round and not immediately. So if she had told them right away, they probably would have played bad immediately because Kim called that penalty on them. Imagine if she didn't tell them at all. Then they would have just been DQ'ed for signing an incorrect scorecard.

I also don't believe that the pro's didn't know this rule. It's just their excuse for doing it. They have played countless tournament rounds and such a simple rule especially when other players and caddies would have for sure told them, not even possible. It's very common and even amateurs know it. I mean OK, we do it among friends in non competitive rounds and I guess that's breaking the rules, but I would never ask it in a competition round. And I sure as hell would be happy to tell whoever committed the violation right away. It'd kill me to let it stew for the rest of the round. Although I would probably mess up anyway since I'm a mental midget when it comes to tournament play.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

> >

> > Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

> >

> > The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

> >

> > But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

>

> That's totally correct. The two players putting it on Kim is just plain idiotic. For one, seeing it done a bazillion times and never reporting it makes it even worse. They say they take full responsibility but didn't like that Kim told them about the penalty after the round and not immediately. So if she had told them right away, they probably would have played bad immediately because Kim called that penalty on them. Imagine if she didn't tell them at all. Then they would have just been DQ'ed for signing an incorrect scorecard.

>

> I also don't believe that the pro's didn't know this rule. It's just their excuse for doing it. They have played countless tournament rounds and such a simple rule especially when other players and caddies would have for sure told them, not even possible. It's very common and even amateurs know it. I mean OK, we do it among friends in non competitive rounds and I guess that's breaking the rules, but I would never ask it in a competition round. And I sure as **** would be happy to tell whoever committed the violation right away. It'd kill me to let it stew for the rest of the round. Although I would probably mess up anyway since I'm a mental midget when it comes to tournament play.

From what I've read, Dewi Weber (the player not even aware of what was happening as it happened during her pre-shot routine/swing) didn't blame Kim for the ruling, but didn't understand why it happened after the round. She even said she was well aware of the rule as she had received a penalty in a similar situation two years ago. Weber had a melt down after the round (was -2 for the tournament before the penalty, level after the penalty and +16 for the last two rounds). Couldn't get the situation out of her head.

> @18majors said:

> A nice article about Muni He:

>

> Q-SERIES MEDALIST MUNI HE IS MUCH MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE

> [https://lpga.com/news/2019-he-q-series-medalist-much-more-than-meets-the-eye](https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-he-q-series-medalist-much-more-than-meets-the-eye "https://lpga.com/news/2019-he-q-series-medalist-much-more-than-meets-the-eye")

Louise Ridderström, also medalist, is of the same category. No wonder she's a good golfer, her father played hockey for our national team.

Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

Most amateur golfers know this rule.

I find it unfathomable that both the professional and their caddie would not know the rule.

At a minimum I would expect a professional golfer and a professional caddie to know at least 90% of the rules of golf.

Perhaps the PGA and LPGA needs to put on a rules clinic and all members (players and caddies) have to pass a rules exam before they can become members.

Lawyers, doctors, dentists, accountants all have to pass a professional exam before they can begin their profession.

This is their PROFESSION after all.

> @Golfnuck said:

> Most amateur golfers know this rule.

>

> I find it unfathomable that both the professional and their caddie would not know the rule.

>

> At a minimum I would expect a professional golfer and a professional caddie to know at least 90% of the rules of golf.

>

> Perhaps the PGA and LPGA needs to put on a rules clinic and all members (players and caddies) have to pass a rules exam before they can become members.

>

> Lawyers, doctors, dentists, accountants all have to pass a professional exam before they can begin their profession.

>

> This is their PROFESSION after all.

I'm sure they absolutely knew the rule, they just didn't think it was an important one to follow. The real rub is it takes 2 seconds for the caddy to go to the other players bag and see what iron is missing, same result, no violation.

But yes, totally classless for Dye to go on twitter and then blame Kim, when she was the one who made the mistake. Also sucks for Weber, fire that caddy for sure.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

>

> Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

>

> The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

>

> But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

i don't see how people can harangue kim for how she handled it ... it's a legit argument to be made to handle it after the round so that it doesn't interfere with the current play ...

> @tiderider said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

> >

> > Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

> >

> > The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

> >

> > But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

>

> i don't see how people can harangue kim for how she handled it ... it's a legit argument to be made to handle it after the round so that it doesn't interfere with the current play ...

Conversationally, you're in the last round of your club championship with a 1 stroke lead. Your FC saw something you might have missed which could cause you a 2 stroke penalty. Would you want to know about it right now when you can change your game plan for the remaining holes, or after you walked off 18 thinking you won by 1, would you want him or her to then bring it up to you?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

>

> https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

Reading that clears up a couple of questions. The way the interaction with the official played out I still wish she had let the other players know what was going on and now definitely think she should have. Having said that, I don't think the rules official should be asking Kim when it should be handled - he or she is the tournament rules official, so deal with it, it's on you at that point IMO to get the ruling sorted out and notify the players what is happening, so I'm still cutting Kim a little slack here based on that, but not very much - but she could have said, "hey, I've let the rules official know . . . " or better "hey, I think that was a violation what do you two think?" and maybe give them the chance to come to the right conclusion pretty quickly. Maybe that's too much second guessing after the fact, but I hope that is how I would have handled it, but "hope" is the operative word - just never been there.

• Like 1

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

> >

> > https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

>

> Reading that clears up a couple of questions. The way the interaction with the official played out I still wish she had let the other players know what was going on and now definitely think she should have. Having said that, I don't think the rules official should be asking Kim when it should be handled - he or she is the tournament rules official, so deal with it, it's on you at that point IMO to get the ruling sorted out and notify the players what is happening, so I'm still cutting Kim a little slack here based on that, but not very much - but she could have said, "hey, I've let the rules official know . . . " or better "hey, I think that was a violation what do you two think?" and maybe give them the chance to come to the right conclusion pretty quickly. Maybe that's too much second guessing after the fact, but I hope that is how I would have handled it, but "hope" is the operative word - just never been there.

With you Sir. It doesn't appear to have been a regular LPGA RO but a local official who might not have done an event of that magnitude. Had CK informed the RO of what happened and then said, "if you have any questions let me know and I'm leaving this in your hands" then that's about as good as she could have done. But to go on Social Media and then go on Morning Drive on Sunday and Sirius XM radio is going way beyond for me and making the story too much about her as opposed to the rules violation of the players/caddies.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Kim says she talked with an official after the hole, case closed on that. In the official's hands at that point. If the officials had said something to the other players sooner people would be losing their minds over how it would have "interfered" with their round - no win here.

> > >

> > > Would I have liked her to have mentioned it straight up to the other players? I think so, but maybe she was waiting for the official to sort it out (need more details) and didn't think disrupting play while it was still maybe an open question was the right thing to do, who knows.

> > >

> > > The Twitter stuff is dumb all the way around.

> > >

> > > But no apologizing or angst for players or caddies not knowing a pretty darn basic rule. "I've seen it a bazillion times" was just a no taking responsibility dodge on Dye's part - who cares if she's played on tour 10 years and pretty sure she played a lot of golf under the rules before that. That was embarrassing.

> >

> > i don't see how people can harangue kim for how she handled it ... it's a legit argument to be made to handle it after the round so that it doesn't interfere with the current play ...

>

> Conversationally, you're in the last round of your club championship with a 1 stroke lead. Your FC saw something you might have missed which could cause you a 2 stroke penalty. Would you want to know about it right now when you can change your game plan for the remaining holes, or after you walked off 18 thinking you won by 1, would you want him or her to then bring it up to you?

situational, is it not? ... they weren't in the last round ... she shouldn't have gone on twitter, of course, and it's beyond me why anyone thinks posting anything but a baby picture is acceptable, but i think she was trying to tell people "know the rules or you could pay a price" ... not the best timing for a psa, certainly ... i just don't see her intent as being something self-serving ...

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

> > >

> > > https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

> >

> > Reading that clears up a couple of questions. The way the interaction with the official played out I still wish she had let the other players know what was going on and now definitely think she should have. Having said that, I don't think the rules official should be asking Kim when it should be handled - he or she is the tournament rules official, so deal with it, it's on you at that point IMO to get the ruling sorted out and notify the players what is happening, so I'm still cutting Kim a little slack here based on that, but not very much - but she could have said, "hey, I've let the rules official know . . . " or better "hey, I think that was a violation what do you two think?" and maybe give them the chance to come to the right conclusion pretty quickly. Maybe that's too much second guessing after the fact, but I hope that is how I would have handled it, but "hope" is the operative word - just never been there.

>

> With you Sir. It doesn't appear to have been a regular LPGA RO but a local official who might not have done an event of that magnitude. Had CK informed the RO of what happened and then said, "if you have any questions let me know and I'm leaving this in your hands" then that's about as good as she could have done. But to go on Social Media and then go on Morning Drive on Sunday and Sirius XM radio is going way beyond for me and making the story too much about her as opposed to the rules violation of the players/caddies.

Agree - too much "look at me" involved.

• Like 1

Twitter and all the other outside the ropes stuff aside, it is an interesting dilemma to me anyway. On a small level I've been in situations where I just couldn't bring myself to call a penalty (match play) and conversely (also match play) called one on myself in a green side bunker, but got it wrong (called 2 shots instead of losing the hole) and had the pro look it up and correct it on the turn (and darn, it did make a difference).

It seems like it can be just as hard for pros to call penalties on fellow players as the rest of us sometimes - and not everyone feels that dilemma and I'm not saying it is right.

No idea where this was going . . . . .

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

> > > >

> > > > https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

> > >

> > > Reading that clears up a couple of questions. The way the interaction with the official played out I still wish she had let the other players know what was going on and now definitely think she should have. Having said that, I don't think the rules official should be asking Kim when it should be handled - he or she is the tournament rules official, so deal with it, it's on you at that point IMO to get the ruling sorted out and notify the players what is happening, so I'm still cutting Kim a little slack here based on that, but not very much - but she could have said, "hey, I've let the rules official know . . . " or better "hey, I think that was a violation what do you two think?" and maybe give them the chance to come to the right conclusion pretty quickly. Maybe that's too much second guessing after the fact, but I hope that is how I would have handled it, but "hope" is the operative word - just never been there.

> >

> > With you Sir. It doesn't appear to have been a regular LPGA RO but a local official who might not have done an event of that magnitude. Had CK informed the RO of what happened and then said, "if you have any questions let me know and I'm leaving this in your hands" then that's about as good as she could have done. But to go on Social Media and then go on Morning Drive on Sunday and Sirius XM radio is going way beyond for me and making the story too much about her as opposed to the rules violation of the players/caddies.

>

> Agree - too much "look at me" involved.

CK, to me, seems like the kind of person that thinks being loud and obnoxious is a personality trait. It would be just desserts if she committed some rules violation and someone retweeted her comment. Granted, this rule isn’t some obscure rule that occurs once in a blue moon, and is one of the more common ones known to pretty much everyone, so no excuse for the other two. I just find CKs handling of it extremely Bush League.

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

> @Shipwreck said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > > Per this article/interview by GolfWorld.com. it appears that Ms. Kim DID indeed wait until the end of the round before notifying her FC's of the concern. She protected the field appropriately, but could have also shared her concern immediately with both players and let the RO make the decision right then and there. And the cryptic social media "PSA" is totally uncalled for. You'd never post something like that without knowing the firestorm that it was going to cause and she could have just let the impacted players and ROs deal with the situation.

> > > > >

> > > > > https://golfdigest.com/story/christina-kim-feels-sad-about-the-rules-controversy-at-lpga-q-series-but-stands-by-her-actions-that-sparked-it

> > > >

> > > > Reading that clears up a couple of questions. The way the interaction with the official played out I still wish she had let the other players know what was going on and now definitely think she should have. Having said that, I don't think the rules official should be asking Kim when it should be handled - he or she is the tournament rules official, so deal with it, it's on you at that point IMO to get the ruling sorted out and notify the players what is happening, so I'm still cutting Kim a little slack here based on that, but not very much - but she could have said, "hey, I've let the rules official know . . . " or better "hey, I think that was a violation what do you two think?" and maybe give them the chance to come to the right conclusion pretty quickly. Maybe that's too much second guessing after the fact, but I hope that is how I would have handled it, but "hope" is the operative word - just never been there.

> > >

> > > With you Sir. It doesn't appear to have been a regular LPGA RO but a local official who might not have done an event of that magnitude. Had CK informed the RO of what happened and then said, "if you have any questions let me know and I'm leaving this in your hands" then that's about as good as she could have done. But to go on Social Media and then go on Morning Drive on Sunday and Sirius XM radio is going way beyond for me and making the story too much about her as opposed to the rules violation of the players/caddies.

> >

> > Agree - too much "look at me" involved.

>

> CK, to me, seems like the kind of person that thinks being loud and obnoxious is a personality trait. It would be just desserts if she committed some rules violation and someone retweeted her comment. Granted, this rule isn’t some obscure rule that occurs once in a blue moon, and is one of the more common ones known to pretty much everyone, so no excuse for the other two. I just find CKs handling of it extremely Bush League.

Long time members around here know I'm a CK fan. Obviously she did the right thing, but don't know what possessed her to go to social media with it. For days I'm listening to all the coverage and still wonder why she felt she had to do that? If they didn't know the rule, then OK. But you don't have to put a spark to the fire. I just don't get it. She's a good personality out there, but this is a bad look.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @tbowles411 said:

>

> > @Shipwreck said:

> >

> > CK, to me, seems like the kind of person that thinks being loud and obnoxious is a personality trait. It would be just desserts if she committed some rules violation and someone retweeted her comment. Granted, this rule isn’t some obscure rule that occurs once in a blue moon, and is one of the more common ones known to pretty much everyone, so no excuse for the other two. I just find CKs handling of it extremely Bush League.

>

> Long time members around here know I'm a CK fan. Obviously she did the right thing, but don't know what possessed her to go to social media with it. For days I'm listening to all the coverage and still wonder why she felt she had to do that? If they didn't know the rule, then OK. But you don't have to put a spark to the fire. I just don't get it. She's a good personality out there, but this is a bad look.

I actually had to require a good friend of mine to accept a penalty for this same rule, so I understand to some extent how bad CK must have felt. She had done nothing wrong, but it was her responsibility to ensure that the penalty was enforced. That responsibility weighted on me, I know, I felt bad, and it was my friend's **ignorance of the rule** put me in that bad situation. Given that most twittering seems to be done in the "heat of the moment", I can see CK venting her frustration with the kind of tweet that she posted. She's essentially saying "Please don't put ME in this kind of pickle, please learn the rules." She did it on the Thursday, while the emotions were still fresh. Would it be better to sweep it all under the rug? I don't know, with this publicity at least a few people may learn a bit more about this rule, hopefully about the rules in general, and that's a positive thing.

> @davep043 said:

> > @tbowles411 said:

> >

> > > @Shipwreck said:

> > >

> > > CK, to me, seems like the kind of person that thinks being loud and obnoxious is a personality trait. It would be just desserts if she committed some rules violation and someone retweeted her comment. Granted, this rule isn’t some obscure rule that occurs once in a blue moon, and is one of the more common ones known to pretty much everyone, so no excuse for the other two. I just find CKs handling of it extremely Bush League.

> >

> > Long time members around here know I'm a CK fan. Obviously she did the right thing, but don't know what possessed her to go to social media with it. For days I'm listening to all the coverage and still wonder why she felt she had to do that? If they didn't know the rule, then OK. But you don't have to put a spark to the fire. I just don't get it. She's a good personality out there, but this is a bad look.

>

> I actually had to require a good friend of mine to accept a penalty for this same rule, so I understand to some extent how bad CK must have felt. She had done nothing wrong, but it was her responsibility to ensure that the penalty was enforced. That responsibility weighted on me, I know, I felt bad, and it was my friend's **ignorance of the rule** put me in that bad situation. Given that most twittering seems to be done in the "heat of the moment", I can see CK venting her frustration with the kind of tweet that she posted. She's essentially saying "Please don't put ME in this kind of pickle, please learn the rules." She did it on the Thursday, while the emotions were still fresh. Would it be better to sweep it all under the rug? I don't know, with this publicity at least a few people may learn a bit more about this rule, hopefully about the rules in general, and that's a positive thing.

>

She's done a bit of a media tour as related to this and that's unnecessary IMHO. She did her job in protecting the field. Let the LPGA and the players/caddies involved with the media aspect and go radio silent on the matter. On Sunday I happened to catch her "appearance" on Morning Drive (don't shun me please) and also Monday on PGA Tour radio. So much of her content was posturing as related to how she was protecting the field, she respects the game, she didn't want to do anything, etc., these are her friends and how much she thought about this and how it hurt her. Come on...don't make it about you.

> @DavePelz4 said:

>

> She's done a bit of a media tour as related to this and that's unnecessary IMHO. She did her job in protecting the field. Let the LPGA and the players/caddies involved with the media aspect and go radio silent on the matter. On Sunday I happened to catch her "appearance" on Morning Drive (don't shun me please) and also Monday on PGA Tour radio. So much of her content was posturing as related to how she was protecting the field, she respects the game, she didn't want to do anything, etc., these are her friends and how much she thought about this and how it hurt her. Come on...don't make it about you.

For better or worse, this is how things seem to work in the Twitter-verse, molehills become mountains. If she had never tweeted the first "PSA". do you think anyone would have heard about two journey-person (complying with any gender neutrality police around) pros who got a penalty for breaking a rule? Would anyone have learned anything from it? I think its better that this issue sees the light of day, just for the educational aspect of it.

And once she is accused of being "unprofessional" by a pro who didn't know this simple rule, should she not respond to requests for interviews? When she does to the interviews, what do you suggest she say? "Ask those two, they were the ones who broke the rule, its about them and not me". Twitter and the media made it about Kim. Based on my impressions of her from her career, she probably does enjoy the spotlight, but I doubt that anyone would choose this way to get publicity.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> >

> > She's done a bit of a media tour as related to this and that's unnecessary IMHO. She did her job in protecting the field. Let the LPGA and the players/caddies involved with the media aspect and go radio silent on the matter. On Sunday I happened to catch her "appearance" on Morning Drive (don't shun me please) and also Monday on PGA Tour radio. So much of her content was posturing as related to how she was protecting the field, she respects the game, she didn't want to do anything, etc., these are her friends and how much she thought about this and how it hurt her. Come on...don't make it about you.

>

> For better or worse, this is how things seem to work in the Twitter-verse, molehills become mountains. If she had never tweeted the first "PSA". do you think anyone would have heard about two journey-person (complying with any gender neutrality police around) pros who got a penalty for breaking a rule? Would anyone have learned anything from it? I think its better that this issue sees the light of day, just for the educational aspect of it.

>

> And once she is accused of being "unprofessional" by a pro who didn't know this simple rule, should she not respond to requests for interviews? When she does to the interviews, what do you suggest she say? "Ask those two, they were the ones who broke the rule, its about them and not me". Twitter and the media made it about Kim. Based on my impressions of her from her career, she probably does enjoy the spotlight, but I doubt that anyone would choose this way to get publicity.

Agree completely with where the world is going on social media. Don't agree with posting what you had for breakfast and how the morning BM went but if people want to share and know that, it's good on them.

I didn't see that a pro called her out on it, heard on K&M that someone made a humorous social media response so maybe that's what you're referencing? As shared earlier, it's just my opinion and I respect yours as well.

• Like 1

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > >

> > > She's done a bit of a media tour as related to this and that's unnecessary IMHO. She did her job in protecting the field. Let the LPGA and the players/caddies involved with the media aspect and go radio silent on the matter. On Sunday I happened to catch her "appearance" on Morning Drive (don't shun me please) and also Monday on PGA Tour radio. So much of her content was posturing as related to how she was protecting the field, she respects the game, she didn't want to do anything, etc., these are her friends and how much she thought about this and how it hurt her. Come on...don't make it about you.

> >

> > For better or worse, this is how things seem to work in the Twitter-verse, molehills become mountains. If she had never tweeted the first "PSA". do you think anyone would have heard about two journey-person (complying with any gender neutrality police around) pros who got a penalty for breaking a rule? Would anyone have learned anything from it? I think its better that this issue sees the light of day, just for the educational aspect of it.

> >

> > And once she is accused of being "unprofessional" by a pro who didn't know this simple rule, should she not respond to requests for interviews? When she does to the interviews, what do you suggest she say? "Ask those two, they were the ones who broke the rule, its about them and not me". Twitter and the media made it about Kim. Based on my impressions of her from her career, she probably does enjoy the spotlight, but I doubt that anyone would choose this way to get publicity.

>

> Agree completely with where the world is going on social media. Don't agree with posting what you had for breakfast and how the morning BM went but if people want to share and know that, it's good on them.

>

> I didn't see that a pro called her out on it, heard on K&M that someone made a humorous social media response so maybe that's what you're referencing? As shared earlier, it's just my opinion and I respect yours as well.

I never doubted your respect, you're always good that way. This is the Tweet by Dye that made it appropriate, in my opinion, for Kim to accept the interview invitations:

Kind of a wishy-washy taking of responsibility ("My fault for breaking the rule, but I've seen this done thousands of times with no penalty called"), and then pushing the attention to Kim ("very disappointed in a fellow player's unprofessional and public action for taking this to Twitter"). I'm just glad to be old enough that my first impulse isn't always to expose my thoughts for the universe to see.

• Like 2