I need help! Callaway Apex not as forgiving as I thought?

johnnybogey

I got fit for Callaway Apex irons at CC. During the fitting, they felt incredible. Having built a set to the same specs that CC proposed, I’ve struggled to gain any consistency.

Do you guys think Apex irons are forgiving for someone at my skill level? Don’t track a handicap but typically shoot 90-100.

I recently tried Srixon z585 irons with modus 105 shafts and they felt really nice.

Anyone here play these in the past? Can you comment on forgiveness? About the same? One more forgiving than the other?

Thanks.

> @1toGolf said:

> How consistant are you hitting the ball on the face? If your hitting across the entire face, you might need a game improvement club with a wider or longer toe to heel length to account for mishits. The Apex is on of the more compact GI clubs.

Feel like I’m hitting the toe a bunch these days. Interesting advice regarding the longer heel to toe length.

Oddly, Part of me feels Apex CF16’s were more forgiving than these Apex 19 irons.

Toe shots are hard with any iron in my opinion

I play the original apex 14s. I did not like the 16s, but find the 19s to be pretty darn good too.

I think they're fairly forgiving, but by no means a super game improvement iron at all

you have to put a decent swing on it, and they'll do that they're supposed to do

Yadi for President

Save your money, get a couple of lessons, practice, and go enjoy your irons. Chances are, a simple adjustment in your swing, possibly a set up issue.

A good instructor can do wonders, and alot less

money.

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > Apex are fairly forgiving. Have to go to shovels to get more forgiveness.

>

> Not gonna lie. I'm kinda regretting selling my gen1 PXG 0311 irons. They had wide soles and were super forgiving and looked really nice. :(

Wider soles than the Apex? Wow they must have been huge.

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> If you want new irons, these would be perfect for you . . .

>

> https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/launcher-hb-irons.html

>

> On the other hand, your current irons are probably fine. What’s most likely is that your current swing sucks.

Most people's swings on here probably suck. Nice to see someone be honest about their ability.

Some good insights posted and I think you need to zero in on why your hitting off toe. Is it how the equipment is set up or swing mechanics like an outside to inside path. I can hit both the Apex and the Apex Pro, but I know I have to be in a certain swing groove to hit them consistently. If my swing is off, I'm better served hitting with a old set of X-20 Tours (aka shovels).

Like some have suggested, go take a lesson or 2. No matter what club you hit or think you need, it will not fix strike issues. You will be happier taking a lesson and fixing a few things, and being able to enjoy your new purchase at the same time. As far as forgiveness, the apex 19’ are pretty darn forgiving. Are there more forgiving irons? Of course there are but fix the flaw in the swing first.

Alex are some of the most forgiving clubs I have ever played. I agree with above, go take a couple lessons from a good pro. You will be much happier and your game will thank you.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5-PW with KBS C-taper Lite X-flex, hard-stepped 1x
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

XR Pro and Rogue Pro are similarly shaped but more forgiving. I think they look nice too. Is your handicap they may have been better suited . Not too late to change given Callaways favorable trade in program. Sometime club pros can get even more favorable treatment from them on trade in of recent purchace

Ping G400 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60
Taylormade M2 3 HL FW Kuro Kage TiNi 70  
Ping G410 #4 Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid 80
Mizuno JPX-921 SEL 4-PW Modus 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 & 60.5 KBS 610
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1x 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > Apex are fairly forgiving. Have to go to shovels to get more forgiveness.

>

> Not gonna lie. I'm kinda regretting selling my gen1 PXG 0311 irons. They had wide soles and were super forgiving and looked really nice. :(

I played the PXG Gen 1's when they were out and then when the Gen 2's came out got them and still play them. Believe it or not they are even more forgiving.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Mitsubishi MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Bridgestone BXS / Pro V1

> @SEP1006 said:

> > @johnnybogey said:

> > > @"Gary Gutful" said:

> > > Apex are fairly forgiving. Have to go to shovels to get more forgiveness.

> >

> > Not gonna lie. I'm kinda regretting selling my gen1 PXG 0311 irons. They had wide soles and were super forgiving and looked really nice. :(

>

> I played the PXG Gen 1's when they were out and then when the Gen 2's came out got them and still play them. Believe it or not they are even more forgiving.

Oh I believe it. The gen1 0311 irons are still the best feeling irons I’ve hit. Was surprised how wide the soles were though. Ball was launching too high even with low launch shafts.

I am awaiting apex cf16's from CPO. They should arrive tomorrow. Coming from Speedblades I know that they won't be as forgiving, but with a bit of work I hope that they translate to a better experience on the course. I have found in testing (all indoor) that I am not striking the ball as well with wider soled gi irons. Best of luck in whichever direction you choose.

• Like 1

I don't play as often as I used to and I'm thinking about trading in my JPX-850 Forged for a set of CF16's on Callaway Preowned for some forgiveness but I'm thinking there may not be that big of a difference to warrant the swap. Anyone game Apex's who can compare from similar types of clubs as my Mizuno's?

• Like 1

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2 | Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way

Taylormade R9 | Nike SQ Dymo | Srixon AD | Ping G10 | Titlelist Vokey SM (54, 60) | Yes! Callie | Ping Hoofer (Early 2000s)

> @Redstorm2011 said:

> I don't play as often as I used to and I'm thinking about trading in my JPX-850 Forged for a set of CF16's on Callaway Preowned for some forgiveness but I'm thinking there may not be that big of a difference to warrant the swap. Anyone game Apex's who can compare from similar types of clubs as my Mizuno's?

IMO, i mean big IMO as I don't want to get the Mizuno fan boys upset but for me personally, I have never found Mizuno's to be forgiving compared to its competitors.

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @Redstorm2011 said:

> > I don't play as often as I used to and I'm thinking about trading in my JPX-850 Forged for a set of CF16's on Callaway Preowned for some forgiveness but I'm thinking there may not be that big of a difference to warrant the swap. Anyone game Apex's who can compare from similar types of clubs as my Mizuno's?

>

> IMO, i mean big IMO as I don't want to get the Mizuno fan boys upset but for me personally, I have never found Mizuno's to be forgiving compared to its competitors.

No offense taken as I am not a fanboy lol. So would you say I can make somewhat lateral move and switch to a comparable set as the JPX 850 Forged, such as AP2s, Apex Pros, etc.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2 | Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-Way

Taylormade R9 | Nike SQ Dymo | Srixon AD | Ping G10 | Titlelist Vokey SM (54, 60) | Yes! Callie | Ping Hoofer (Early 2000s)

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> OP, are the new irons the same length as your previous set?

oh boy, where to begin! lol

my old irons was based on fitting at Golf Galaxy probably around 10 years ago. +1/2"over standard and 2* upright

my current Apex set is based off CC fitting a few months ago, standard length and 2* upright.

Since it was my own build, I got cute and when I order the Apex irons, had them ordered:

5,6 iron - 2* upright

7,8,9 iron - 1* upright

PW,AW - standard

> @johnnybogey said:

> I got fit for Callaway Apex irons at CC. During the fitting, they felt incredible. Having built a set to the same specs that CC proposed, I’ve struggled to gain any consistency.

>

> Do you guys think Apex irons are forgiving for someone at my skill level? Don’t track a handicap but typically shoot 90-100.

>

> I recently tried Srixon z585 irons with modus 105 shafts and they felt really nice.

>

> Anyone here play these in the past? Can you comment on forgiveness? About the same? One more forgiving than the other?

>

> Thanks.

I have the Apex CF19's and the Z585's and while the Z585's do seem a little easier to hit, I'm not sure I would consider them more forgiving. A mishit with the Z's can be punishing, while a mishit with the Apex's is much less disastrous. I hit a shot to a par 3 the other day and caught the ball on the very upper toe of my 7i (apex) AND it still ended up hole high but 20 yards to the left of the green.

The Z's are my backup set and I've played some pretty good golf with them, but I find them about 1/2 - a full club shorter than the Apex and not quite as forgiving on mishits. I enjoy playing both sets and the Z's feel really good in hand, but the Apex are just inspiring to me. I've never played as reliable a set as the Apex's. As an example, I have a 4i in both sets but I can't hit the Z's 4i very well at all. The Apex's feels just as comfortable as the 5i which I hit pretty well.

I'm a senior golfer, 71 years old, handicap is somewhere between 10-15, and only been playing golf since 2015. Tried a lot of clubs, including the CF16's and the CF19's are the best I've played so far.

> @johnnybogey said:

> > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > OP, are the new irons the same length as your previous set?

>

> oh boy, where to begin! lol

> my old irons was based on fitting at Golf Galaxy probably around 10 years ago. +1/2"over standard and 2* upright

> my current Apex set is based off CC fitting a few months ago, standard length and 2* upright.

> Since it was my own build, I got cute and when I order the Apex irons, had them ordered:

>

> 5,6 iron - 2* upright

> 7,8,9 iron - 1* upright

> PW,AW - standard

>

>

If I read this correctly, you went from a set that was 1/2" long, which you played for 10 years, to a standard length set.

This may be the reason for the frequent toe strikes. Someone with more knowledge in how iron length effects strike may be able to offer a more accurate analysis. If he doesn't visit this thread, I would suggest you send a PM to Stuart G.

PXG Heroes.jpeg

> @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > @johnnybogey said:

> > > @"Hot Rod 71" said:

> > > OP, are the new irons the same length as your previous set?

> >

> > oh boy, where to begin! lol

> > my old irons was based on fitting at Golf Galaxy probably around 10 years ago. +1/2"over standard and 2* upright

> > my current Apex set is based off CC fitting a few months ago, standard length and 2* upright.

> > Since it was my own build, I got cute and when I order the Apex irons, had them ordered:

> >

> > 5,6 iron - 2* upright

> > 7,8,9 iron - 1* upright

> > PW,AW - standard

> >

> >

>

> If I read this correctly, you went from a set that was 1/2" long, which you played for 10 years, to a standard length set.

>

> This may be the reason for the frequent toe strikes. Someone with more knowledge in how iron length effects strike may be able to offer a more accurate analysis. If he doesn't visit this thread, I would suggest you send a PM to Stuart G.

Yeah, the fitter at CC said standard length was right for me.

So last night, I hopped on the monitor and what I thought were toe strikes were actualy heel strikes! lol. I'm a mess.

I swear, part of me feels ever since getting the launch monitor, my swing has become so inconsistent as I am trying too many things. Wish I could find an instructor near me as I think online lessons just don't work for me.

Back to the drawing board. LOL

Yeah, the fitter at CC said standard length was right for me.

So last night, I hopped on the monitor and what I thought were toe strikes were actualy heel strikes! lol. I'm a mess.

I swear, part of me feels ever since getting the launch monitor, my swing has become so inconsistent as I am trying too many things. Wish I could find an instructor near me as I think online lessons just don't work for me.

Back to the drawing board. LOL

0jh3k9kb9uu1.jpeg

Iron's are not the strongest part of my game and I previously played the PING i210's and recently switched to the CF19 Apex irons. I feel that they are as forgiving as my first set I played when I started golf which was the TaylorMade Rocketbladez irons. Except with the Apex i get better spin and the feel is much better. The Apex line is a lot more forgiving than it looks.

• Like 1

TSi3 9°@ 9.75° | TENSEI AV RAW WHITE 65

G425 17.5° @ 16.5°| TENSEI AV RAW WHITE 75

G410 19° @ 20°| TOUR 85

APEX CF19 5-PW | MODUS 105

SM8 50.F12/54.S10 | DG S200

JAWS FULL TOE 58 C GRIND | TT DG SPINNER 115

TAYLORMADE SPIDER X HYDRO BLAST| KBS CT TOUR 

TITLEIST PROV1X

Depends on which Apex. The 14s and 16s were just ok to me, but here I am in the 19s. I shoot in 90s.

I wasn't really considering them but the fitter did a 'here, try this'. I said I thought they may be too much club for me and he asked if I was uncomfortable with the look. I said no. Then he put some impact tape on and showed me that was pretty good. Brought up how I strike the ball, and that launch and spin weren't a problem for me so I didn't need anything with . I had a couple of ugly ones and he said, with an appropriate dose of humor, no club's going to fix that.

That said, I tried the Srixon 565s. Really wanted to love them. Liked the look, liked the feel, demoed them at least 3 different times could never get good results until I'd try a Hot Metal and regain my sanity. So the Srixons might just work better with your swing.

Of course I'd expect that CC would have discovered this and make it right, but that probably only applies if you bought the clubs from them.