2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I know jacked lofts has been done to death...

Tree Levino

> @"North Butte" said:

> Yes, I totally agree that your complaint has been done to death.

>

> Heaven forfend some guy might think he hits his 8-iron longer than you because of "jacked lofts". There outta be a law!

It's not a d*ck measuring contest. I don't have many times when I'm hitting more club than those I play with though unless it's a strategic little chippy fade or something. My 8 iron stops dead on it's stock 160 carry and I know it hits that number if I put a decent move on the ball. Most of my playing partners using these jacked lofts that "go so high and spin so much" can't hold the hard greens we play.

Wow, that is some serious loft jacking. A 21° 5 iron at 38.75" is a 3 iron or an old school 2 iron. I play my 3 iron 21° at 38.50".

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I think Cobra was the first to strengthen the lofts on their irons some 20 yrs ago or more. I laugh when someone asks what I hit on a shot as their same numbered iron likely has a different loft, different shaft and the golfer has a different swing. I'm more interested in the distance and knowing what my club will do for a given shot.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > **_"I know jacked lofts has been done to death..."_**

> >

> > Yes, done to death.

> > A 5 iron from the 1950's was what? Something like 32 degrees?

> > That said, those Epic Forged irons (5-iron at 21* and 38.75" length) are ludicrous. I refuse to purchase any set that requires TWO gap wedges.

>

> I agree. Although technology has made a positive overall influence on club design, there is also a point at which things have gone too far. There is a reason lofts have come down over the years and I feel as though in modern terms, a 34 degree 7 iron is the benchmark. A 7 iron that is almost an inch longer and 7 degrees stronger is a bit ludicrous, and as you say, needing two gap wedges kind of shows that the 5-GW2 set you're playing is a actually just a 3-PW set.

My MP32 7 iron is 35 degrees.

I know a seasoned player that switched to a set of jacked up clubs because his playing partners all had them and in his words "they were all hitting their irons farther than I was". I told him it was because of the difference in their lofts and to him, it made no difference. After he started playing with his new clubs, he was bragging how far he was now hitting his 5 iron. Go figure.

> @cgasucks said:

> > @Nessism said:

> > **_"I know jacked lofts has been done to death..."_**

> >

> > Yes, done to death.

> > A 5 iron from the 1950's was what? Something like 32 degrees?

> > That said, those Epic Forged irons (****_5-iron at 21_***** and 38.75" length) are ludicrous. I refuse to purchase any set that requires TWO gap wedges.

>

> A 21 Deg. 5 iron!??! Daymn that's strong.

>

>

That's 3 iron territory.

• Like 1

> @Bad9 said:

> > @Bye said:

> > It must be time for the loft to be printed on the sole rather than a number. Then people can compare apples with apples.

>

> But how many people other than a few on golf forums want to compare? I only really care about how far I hit each club in the set I have. I don't care what my friend hits from the same distance and I certainly don't care what the lofts of his clubs are. I likely wont look at clubs with more than one gap wedge in a set but other than that I really only care how far I hit each club whatever it may have stamped on the sole.

I guess it would come up when being fit for a set of clubs. Some poor unsuspecting soul might not realise one 7 iron is 4 degrees stronger and 1/4 inch longer than another.

I’m the same as you, I don’t care, the only thing I want to know if how far each club flys.

It just makes me laugh when looking a the specs of a 4 iron that has 18 degrees of loft on it.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

The thing is, a jacked lofted 7-iron that plays as long as a standard 5-iron is only as accurate as said 5-iron and possibly less accurate because of lower spin and it’s impact on D plane. So overall, no actual gain in distance or accuracy...well played marketing men...I think we’re onto a winner here.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I don't necessarily have a problem with stronger lofts or individuals commenting how far they can hit 27* 7 irons (or 35* 7 irons for that matter). I know what my yardages are with the respective lofts of my clubs and that is all that matters to me. What does intrigue me though is the level of difficulty required to hit an 18* 4 iron as the Callaway Epic Forged features. I understand the number on the bottom of the iron scares people, but my Cleveland CG4 3 iron was a breeze to hit at 21*. That being said, I agree with an earlier poster about liking the 50/54/58 set up too much to veer too much stronger or weaker in my loft choices.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Regardless of what someone's opinion is on this and what many say, it's pretty clear from comments that the vast majority of players want the possibility of more distance, and that 1 of 10 shots on the demo that is flushed will carry the day over 8 of 10 solid shots.

What golfers buy will persuade OEMs way more than what golfers say.

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @tobybear said:

> > If it wasn't for the lower lofts these would just go WAY too high. The speed off these faces and the spin created by the tech means that they need to do this to hit the proper launch windows - for the target player.

>

> This.

>

> I’m amazed that as golf crazy posters here are that they can’t get this through their thick heads and stop whining about “jacked lofts.”

>

> Wise up, people and then shut up about this issue.

Wrong.

I also think it's disrespectful to tell the OP to "shut up about this issue."

• Like 1

> @Im_A_Savage said:

> > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > @tobybear said:

> > > If it wasn't for the lower lofts these would just go WAY too high. The speed off these faces and the spin created by the tech means that they need to do this to hit the proper launch windows - for the target player.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > I’m amazed that as golf crazy posters here are that they can’t get this through their thick heads and stop whining about “jacked lofts.”

> >

> > Wise up, people and then shut up about this issue.

>

> Wrong.

>

> I also think it's disrespectful to tell the OP to "shut up about this issue."

Wrong?

And if you read appropriately you’ll see I wasn’t telling the OP to shut up.

Glad you had an opportunity to put on your cape though. It looks nice on you. :smiley:

> @MtlJeff said:

> Props to ping for offering retro lofts on some sets .

Yea but I think they just build everything at the listed loft and then bend them, so it changes the bounce, if you care about that sort of thing. They have always been willing to do this.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

> @balls_deep said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > Yes, I totally agree that your complaint has been done to death.

> >

> > Heaven forfend some guy might think he hits his 8-iron longer than you because of "jacked lofts". There outta be a law!

>

> It's not a d*ck measuring contest. I don't have many times when I'm hitting more club than those I play with though unless it's a strategic little chippy fade or something. My 8 iron stops dead on it's stock 160 carry and I know it hits that number if I put a decent move on the ball. Most of my playing partners using these jacked lofts that "go so high and spin so much" can't hold the hard greens we play.

Your iBlades are at least one club stronger than the Macgregor Tommy Armour 985s or the Golfcraft Continentals I played in 1967. I'll also bet your car has 100 more HP than my late Dad's 1964 Chev Biscayne six cylinder. So, your point is that those using strong lofted clubs should give them up because you don't like their choice of equipment?

Try concentrating on something important in your life.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Yes, since today's 7 has the loft and length of yesterday's 5, we can hit our 7's as far as we used to hit our 5's, and just as badly.

I get the argument that it doesn't matter what number is on the bottom. Believe me, I don't give a crap about how far I hit a 7i vs. how far someone else does. But once you get to the point that you need two clubs between your "pitching wedge" and your "sand wedge," its just getting ridiculous. And in what sense is a 42* club actually a "wedge?" For most folks, even a 46* PW is almost exclusively a full swing club. I think 50ish degrees is the point where most of us start using a club for partial swings, pitches and chips, so call that your Pitching Wedge, then start numbering your full swing clubs from there, since they aren't actually wedges. In other words, the "old way" of having a pitching wedge as your next club below your sand wedge makes the most sense just in terms of the names of the clubs vs. what they are actually used for.

I also get the point that lower COG and hotter faces have made clubs launch higher, so stronger lofts can be necessary. But almost nobody needs that kind of help in the short irons. So why the low-COG and strong lofts in the short irons? Provide the low-COG "help" in the long irons, with stronger lofts to match, and gradually provide higher COG and higher lofts in the short irons. This would require loft spacing greater than 4* in order to maintain reasonable yardage gaps.

I bent my 47* PW weak to 49* and use only a 54 and 58 above it. My short and mid-irons are bent to 5* gaps, so by the time I get down to my 5-iron, I am at 26* (49, 44, 39, 34, 30, 26). So I have "traditional" lofts in my short irons, and "slightly jacked" lofts in my longer irons. This has the effect of "taking a club out of the middle," and giving me another slot in my bag at the long end. As a result, I can carry 2, 3, and 4 hybrids **and**a fairway wood (someone else might choose 3, 5, 7 and 9 woods, etc. ). Combine this approach with more "help" in the long irons, and you have the kind of help slower swingers actually need, not 21* 5-irons and 42* "wedges."

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

> @BlkNGld said:

> Regardless of what someone's opinion is on this and what many say, it's pretty clear from comments that the vast majority of players want the possibility of more distance, and that 1 of 10 shots on the demo that is flushed will carry the day over 8 of 10 solid shots.

>

> What golfers buy will persuade OEMs way more than what golfers say.

I just think it's a backwards way to addressing the problem. The real problem with lack of distance is on approach shots into the green. The best way to address not having enough distance for manageable approach shots is to play the correct tees. It doesn't help having a 27° iron into the green instead of a 34° iron. So, it's not really solving the problem.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

> @tobiasjd said:

> > @BlkNGld said:

> > Regardless of what someone's opinion is on this and what many say, it's pretty clear from comments that the vast majority of players want the possibility of more distance, and that 1 of 10 shots on the demo that is flushed will carry the day over 8 of 10 solid shots.

> >

> > What golfers buy will persuade OEMs way more than what golfers say.

>

> I just think it's a backwards way to addressing the problem. The real problem with lack of distance is on approach shots into the green. The best way to address not having enough distance for manageable approach shots is to play the correct tees. It doesn't help having a 27° iron into the green instead of a 34° iron. So, it's not really solving the problem.

???

So you think other people have the wrong numbers stamped on the sole of their irons AND they are playing the wrong tees. Is there anything else about other people's golf games that you need to 'splain to them?

Truly amazing how many "problems" arise from stamping a 7 on a club that used to be stamped with a 6.

The OP is welcome to feel however about Callaway's marketing style but Callaway isn't the only OEM that markets distant irons with strong lofts. Miura, Mizuno, Cobra, and Titleist market them as well. The only people that are not aware of strong lofted clubs are those people too lazy to conduct pre-sale research. You've heard to the words buyer beware. It's not misleading merely another choice for people with rose-colored glasses.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

What club do you hit from 150? Then hit it. Who cares if it’s a Pw, 9, 8 whatever? Why does it even matter. If your 3 wood is 13* or 16* is it in some way a crap move by the manufacturer. It’s a number for you to know what to pull out of the bag. Basically the gap wedge is the new pitching wedge. Not hard to figure out. I bend mine to get them to where I hit 8 iron 160...why? That’s how far I want to hit it. I don’t want to hit 8 iron 185...that’s also why I hit a blade to eliminate the hot shots and if my wedge is 48 degrees to hit it 135...it goes 135.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I'm happy with the power spec lofts on the blueprints

Stronger in the mid irons but the 8 to pw allow me to stay with a 50* gw

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I’ve played 6 rounds of golf this year and haven’t once asked someone I was playing with what club they used or were going to use to hit the shot. I don’t think anyone’s asked me either.

I’d love to play a set of these and beat the OP like a drum while yelling out what # club I just hit for each shot.

Get a life people.

> @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > @Im_A_Savage said:

> > > @JeffreySpicoli said:

> > > > @tobybear said:

> > > > If it wasn't for the lower lofts these would just go WAY too high. The speed off these faces and the spin created by the tech means that they need to do this to hit the proper launch windows - for the target player.

> > >

> > > This.

> > >

> > > I’m amazed that as golf crazy posters here are that they can’t get this through their thick heads and stop whining about “jacked lofts.”

> > >

> > > Wise up, people and then shut up about this issue.

> >

> > Wrong.

> >

> > I also think it's disrespectful to tell the OP to "shut up about this issue."

>

> Wrong?

>

> And if you read appropriately you’ll see I wasn’t telling the OP to shut up.

Yes, wrong.

And you did indeed tell the OP to shut up.

> @rgk5 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > Yes, I totally agree that your complaint has been done to death.

> > >

> > > Heaven forfend some guy might think he hits his 8-iron longer than you because of "jacked lofts". There outta be a law!

> >

> > It's not a d*ck measuring contest. I don't have many times when I'm hitting more club than those I play with though unless it's a strategic little chippy fade or something. My 8 iron stops dead on it's stock 160 carry and I know it hits that number if I put a decent move on the ball. Most of my playing partners using these jacked lofts that "go so high and spin so much" can't hold the hard greens we play.

>

> Your iBlades are at least one club stronger than the Macgregor Tommy Armour 985s or the Golfcraft Continentals I played in 1967. I'll also bet your car has 100 more HP than my late Dad's 1964 Chev Biscayne six cylinder. So, your point is that those using strong lofted clubs should give them up because you don't like their choice of equipment?

> Try concentrating on something important in your life.

Again, no d*ck measuring contest at all. My point is I don't think that kind of club is helping people as much as some believe. Everyone can play what they want, I just don't think "game improvement" is all that game improvement.

I built a set of irons, Dynacraft Prophet, and pretty much like them. Although, when my sand wedge is only 54 degrees in this set, AW is 49*, and PW Is 44*, I miss the higher lofted clubs. I almost feel like I'm missing a club in the bag with these lofts even though I carry a 58 degree lob wedge. My lob wedge was not chosen to play out of the sand because it doesn't have a whole lot of bounce that I need to be successful. In other words, I wish my set SW was about 56 degrees loft. I hope this makes sense to all, but I am almost looking at making another set with higher lofts so it will benefit me on the wedge end of the set.

The largest generation alive is baby boomers.

The generation currently with the most disposable income is baby boomers.

The generation currently losing distance with their irons is..... baby boomers.

Go on with your bad self Callaway. “Jack up” that bottom line.

If you don’t like a golf club, don’t play them.