2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping Glide 3.0 Appreciation Thread

Jaygolf37

> @"Chicago Mac" said:

> Any feedback on how the Eye 2 does out of sand? One prior comment mentioned coming out of bunker flat.

> Thanks

On my course where we have mid-fluffy sand and not super deep bunkers, it seems to work great. Opening it up, the ball does seem to just sail out, maybe a little lower than I might expect but definitely out which is the goal. I don’t know how you could test that for your swing and technique without trying one on the course. It sure if that helps. It’s definitely easy to get out of a normal bunker with the 58 eye, it’s not like the ball just cleared a normal (say 18 inch or so) lip.

> @"Chicago Mac" said:

> Any feedback on how the Eye 2 does out of sand? One prior comment mentioned coming out of bunker flat.

> Thanks

Today was my first round with the Glide 3.0 Eye2’s. I had no warm up time other than a few pitches/chips before teeing off. Pitches and chips are stellar with both the 54* and the 60*.

Had my first bunker shot on the 8th, a par 3 playing 178. The ball was 3 or 4’ away from a lip about 3’ high to a pin 30’ away. Sand was cool and very damp from sprinkles and a steady mist. Greens playing very firm.

Decided to play the 60* only opened very slightly. Smooth swing, nice “thump”, ball easily clears the lip, lands about 2/3 of the way to the hole, releases to a foot above and 2 or 3’ past the hole. Easiest sand save I’ve had this year.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Based on feedback and some reviews, I was searching for a more forgiving SW (currently playing the Callaway Mack Daddy Forged at 55 degrees). So I picked up a 56/12 SS Glide 3.0. Wow! The spin on short shots really is noticeable. Also I feel a lot better with those 3/4 swing shots like 70-80 yds versus having to really take something off of my 50 degree or try to nuke my 60 degree LW. On those fuller shots, it definitely feels more forgiving than the MD. Even on a slight mishit, my yardage doesn't suffer nearly as much. Yes I am in the honeymoon stage but so far, so awesome with the Glide 3.0.

Titleist Tsi3 8* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

Callaway Epic Flash FW 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL GW KBS $ Taper
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56*/10* DG Spinner
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60*/12* KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Byron Morgan DH89
Taylormade TP5x

Anyone else switch from Vokey's to these wedges?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> Anyone else switch from Vokey's to these wedges?

Not yet but I am thinking about it. I need to get a couple of demo wedges out on the course before I decide.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

• 2 weeks later...

My new 54 ( normal glide) and 60 eye 2 were delivered today. Have to say the eye 2 is impressive. It’s as ugly as expected and works magically. Ridiculously easy to hit. And versatile. Of course more testing to do. But it’s passed my initial shortgame and 50 75 yard swing tests at home. The 54 I’m pretty sure is good too. I need to use it in sand to know more. It definitely provides the shortgame check I desire , and is easy enough on full swings.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> My new 54 ( normal glide) and 60 eye 2 were delivered today. Have to say the eye 2 is impressive. It’s as ugly as expected and works magically. Ridiculously easy to hit. And versatile. Of course more testing to do. But it’s passed my initial shortgame and 50 75 yard swing tests at home. The 54 I’m pretty sure is good too. I need to use it in sand to know more. It definitely provides the shortgame check I desire , and is easy enough on full swings.

Curious what made you decide to get the 54 as the normal Glide?

I'm currently looking to get a 50/54/58 with the 50 being the normal glide and the 58 being the eye2. I just can't decide on which 54 to get.

> @stevench said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > My new 54 ( normal glide) and 60 eye 2 were delivered today. Have to say the eye 2 is impressive. It’s as ugly as expected and works magically. Ridiculously easy to hit. And versatile. Of course more testing to do. But it’s passed my initial shortgame and 50 75 yard swing tests at home. The 54 I’m pretty sure is good too. I need to use it in sand to know more. It definitely provides the shortgame check I desire , and is easy enough on full swings.

>

> Curious what made you decide to get the 54 as the normal Glide?

> I'm currently looking to get a 50/54/58 with the 50 being the normal glide and the 58 being the eye2. I just can't decide on which 54 to get.

Wait till you get the 58eye and see how it looks and performs and then based on those factors place your 54 order on your preference.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

> @stevench said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > My new 54 ( normal glide) and 60 eye 2 were delivered today. Have to say the eye 2 is impressive. It’s as ugly as expected and works magically. Ridiculously easy to hit. And versatile. Of course more testing to do. But it’s passed my initial shortgame and 50 75 yard swing tests at home. The 54 I’m pretty sure is good too. I need to use it in sand to know more. It definitely provides the shortgame check I desire , and is easy enough on full swings.

>

> Curious what made you decide to get the 54 as the normal Glide?

> I'm currently looking to get a 50/54/58 with the 50 being the normal glide and the 58 being the eye2. I just can't decide on which 54 to get.

Well. I based it off past experiences with the PM grind wedge. Which I like. The 54 to me can be used like another lob wedge. As in they play higher than the stated loft to me. The 60 eye 2 launches and acts closer to a 62-64 compared to the glide forged it potentially replaces. All that being said. I still haven’t had these on course. I may very well prefer the 54 to be eye2. And then again I may go back running to the glide forged.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What shafts are people using in these?

Some if it is almost certainly just new wedge grooves, but I swear these things spin way more than other wedges I've played. If I go anywhere near a full swing with the 50 degree, the spin is out of control. I'm ripping balls back absurd distances. That is NOT what I want, or am used to getting from my gap wedge. I want the ball to hit and stop. And that's exactly what the 50 degree SM7 I had before this did, even when it was brand new.

I've got the stock zz115 shaft in mine. I'm contemplating buying an S400 to try out, or maybe even the KBS 610 which I've never tried before.

> @FAbb said:

> What shafts are people using in these?

>

> Some if it is almost certainly just new wedge grooves, but I swear these things spin way more than other wedges I've played. If I go anywhere near a full swing with the 50 degree, the spin is out of control. I'm ripping balls back absurd distances. That is NOT what I want, or am used to getting from my gap wedge. I want the ball to hit and stop. And that's exactly what the 50 degree SM7 I had before this did, even when it was brand new.

>

> I've got the stock zz115 shaft in mine. I'm contemplating buying an S400 to try out, or maybe even the KBS 610 which I've never tried before.

I played with the stock Z-Z115 but couldnt feel the head on the downswing so swapped them out for S200's as I am familiar with them in my SM7's and it made a huge difference. Love the extra weight in both my 50* and 54*

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I hope PING engineers are somehow able to incorporate the Carbon Steel and Stealth finish from the Glide 2.0's and get the Hydropearl 2.0 combo....Like the chrome look of these but would be real nice in black.

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @FAbb said:

> What shafts are people using in these?

>

> Some if it is almost certainly just new wedge grooves, but I swear these things spin way more than other wedges I've played. If I go anywhere near a full swing with the 50 degree, the spin is out of control. I'm ripping balls back absurd distances. That is NOT what I want, or am used to getting from my gap wedge. I want the ball to hit and stop. And that's exactly what the 50 degree SM7 I had before this did, even when it was brand new.

>

> I've got the stock zz115 shaft in mine. I'm contemplating buying an S400 to try out, or maybe even the KBS 610 which I've never tried before.

When these first came out I demoed them with the stock zz115 shafts and found them too light for me. I went ahead and ordered a 50ss and 54ss, but with with DG 120 S300 and like the little bit of added weight (and the DG profiles agrees with me). I like these wedges but I wouldn’t say the spin has been anything exceptional. I’m not saying they are bad for spin or anything like that, but I haven’t noticed any crazy high amount of spin like some others are describing. For reference, at the same time I bought a TM Hi Toe 60* (w KBS Hi Rev 2.0 stiff shaft) and I get much more spin from that than my 3.0 Glides admittedly, the different shaft and higher loft probably play a part in that).

• 4 weeks later...

Another SM7 convert here. Only 4 rounds in so far, but I did game Glide 2.0 prior to SM7s. Great feel. I forgot how much I enjoy the Ping wedge grip. Makes short shots around the green almost automatic. Excellent club. I looked at the 58 in the Eye 2 Sole but couldn’t do it....but maybe next spring I’ll pick one up to experiment with.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

+1 for black finish. I tested the Glide 3 and really like them (currently game SM7s) and would buy them now if they offered them in black.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

• 5 weeks later...

Can you get custom grinds on these through Ping's WRX department?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I was a 54° for sure. Not sure I like the eye 2 in 58°. I had the 58 in ES with the original glides but currently using the PM grind. I want a 60° or 58° hi toe and a 54 glide 3 but not sure my OCD will allow me to play mismatched wedges.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I thought my OCD would kick in with mismatched wedges with the Glide 3.0 in 50/54 and hi toe in 58 but the performance trumps all of my mental issues with club model likeness

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Oh sweet. Someone with my ideal setup and that seems pleased with it. That sounds lovely.

Is there any tool/video/fitting online to help determine which grind is best? Having a hard time here between the SS, WS, and Eye2 grinds. I bought one of the Eye2 XG reboot lob wedges probably 10 years ago and absolutely hated that thing, which really caught me off guard since I played Ping irons all the way through college.

Just went and hit them at GG. The 54 glide 3.0 feels so solid, but so does that 60 big foot TM. I didn’t care for the look or feel (results) of the glide 60 Eye 2. I just might have to tell my OCD to shove it, because I think this is happening.

Ya the 50 and 54 are all around great wedges. I had Sm7's prior to these and they beat them on spin and forgiveness plus I think they feel/sound great. The Eye2 looks super funky to me and I prefer the look of the Hi-Toe personally. I havent tried the Bigfoot as I read some reviews saying it was mainly a square faced club which I wouldnt like because I love opening the face on bunker shots, etc.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

It does setup square, the Bigfoot that is. It can be opened but slightly. The leading edge comes up too much to open too much, IMO. But supposedly it’s super easy even square out of the sand. I struggle a lot in the sand. And where i hate my current 58° ( PM grind) is on super wet soft ground. I live in TN so in summers that club shines. Doesn’t dig. But in winter and spring we are very wet and soft around here and i can never judge when to be delicate and when to go after it. Flub way too often.

was hoping the big foot would eliminate that some.