Martin Kaymer Loses PGA Tour Card

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day, a guy with Kaymers record might lose his card.   And have to get a job!   But now? I’m thinking with endorsements he’s been making 7 figures for many years.

> @bscinstnct said: > Back in the day, a guy with Kaymers record might lose his card. > > And have to get a job! > > But now? I’m thinking with endorsements he’s been making 7

Kaymer is 91st in the world. He’s not playing poorly and he is not hurting for playing opportunities. With only 14 events played, he essentially chose to give up his card.

I’m not sure I would call it sad. He lost his tour card because the sport is extremely competitive. Everyone gets to that point. But at 34 he is still young and I’m sure he can bounce back if he really wants it. Then maybe he will recognize he had a great career and move on? I’m not worried about this guy and his family moving into tent city.

> @idrive said:

> Pretty sad.

>

> I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

>

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

You could put that question in the Jordan Spieth thread.

34, 2 majors, 1 other PGA victory and 11 European Tour victories.

Guy doesn’t need a PGA Tour card to have more money than his grandchildren’s grandchildren need.

He will be fine.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Callaway PM Grind '19 54/60/64 KBS garbage
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @bscinstnct said:

> Back in the day, a guy with Kaymers record might lose his card.

>

> And have to get a job!

>

> But now? I’m thinking with endorsements he’s been making 7 figures for many years.

If he needed the money he'd probably be top 20 on tour right now.

• Like 2

I have said this in another thread about him, his stats have hardly changed in years, well actually some are a little better this year. I guess it is true when they say, if your not improving your going backwards.

Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

Did this not happen exactly the same way two years ago?

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

> @snizzle said:

> He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

The article mentions he may not qualify for top 150 status due his 14 starts. He currently sits at #148.

The old ooops I thought I'd make the playoffs and didn't so I'm one tournament short routine strikes again.

I agree, go back to Europe and move up from #97 in the OWGR. Try to make the Ryder Cup. Play better and winning will take care of the rest.

Kaymer reminds me of a Duval type figure. He comes across as a very deep thinker, someone who comes across as a very deep thinker and an intelligent guy. My wonder is if he will actually have the motivation to get himself back to where he was golf wise.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

He usually plays 20 Euro events a year. Part-time US Tour player. Still has a residence in Germany. Nothing to see here.

• Like 1

PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
PING Rapture 3 wood
Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
Callaway '18 MB irons
Callaway 56 SW
Cleveland Classic #2 putter

> @idrive said:

> Pretty sad.

>

> I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

>

> https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

Kaymer did not have a good record at the Masters and chose to change to a draw swing. But he probably felt he could improve his game by changing his swing.

He is actually playing decent golf this year. In 19 events he has 5 top 20 finishes and has gotten back inside the top 100 of the OWGR. Knowing Kaymer, he'll probably win a couple big events next year like he does every 4-6 years and then disappear into oblivion again. I'm actually willing to bet that Kaymer wins again before Spieth. Kaymer tends to win big events in bunches, and then lose his game.

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Did this not happen exactly the same way two years ago?

Kaymer hasn't made the top 125 since his US Open win and he hasn't played the requisite number of events any year since either. This year was the last year of the exemption he got via the Pinehurst win.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @iBanesto said:

> > @idrive said:

> > Pretty sad.

> >

> > I guess my biggest question is why do you try and change your swing when you're winning?

> >

> > https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/two-time-major-winner-martin-kaymer-loses-pga-tour-card-with-missed-cut-at-wyndham-championship/ar-AAFfCMU

>

> Kaymer did not have a good record at the Masters and chose to change to a draw swing. But he probably felt he could improve his game by changing his swing.

>

>

A mistake that a few have made. The lack of a draw isn't the problem at Augusta, seems to be a bit of a myth, it's the low ball flight he has that hurts him more.

I also heard an analyst/commentator state that another one of the reasons Kaymer attempted to change his swing was because he didn't like the way it looked.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @snizzle said:

> > He will still finish 125-150 in FedEx standings just playing limited events and will still have some status on tour just like Lowry did this past season. Sometimes I think it's better for the top Euro players not to be so concerned about making the FedEx playoffs or making the minimum starts that the PGA requires. His game is still good but obviously didn't play enough PGA tournaments. He should be able to get that OWGR back to the top 50 if he wants to do that by playing the top Euro events. The Ryder cup is coming up next year and alot of these Euro players are more interested in playing over there during those years anyway.

>

> The article mentions** he may not qualify for top 150 status due his 14 starts.** He currently sits at #148.

> The old ooops I thought I'd make the playoffs and didn't so I'm one tournament short routine strikes again.

>

> I agree, go back to Europe and move up from #97 in the OWGR. Try to make the Ryder Cup. Play better and winning will take care of the rest.

I just saw that. Apparently he technically needed 1 more start to keep conditional status. With that said I doubt the Tour will really enforce that rule against a former Major winner since last season they just had a talk with Spieth after he basically did the same thing (and Spieth had full status and not conditional).

> @freeze16172002 said:

> I thought you get a 10 exemption for winning the players?

No longer. 5 years is the longest exemption the PGA Tour gives out these days for an event. It was a 10 year exemption years ago. Same with the old World Series Of Golf at Firestone before it became a WGC event. The USGA still grants a 10 year exemption into the US Open for the current champion.

> @Dave230 said:

> Kaymer is better off on the European Tour for now I would say, try to build the game back up. Was actually playing decent this summer with some good finishes.

He's not exactly exulting confidence on the Euro Tour either, not that easy to shine over there as the competition is quite fierce actually

Rumour has it he's been busy practising on Kirsty Gallacher, and why wouldnt you!

[](https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/editor/ls/trwowc2i6qe1.jpg "")

DRIVER: Taylormade Sim Max 9*

3 WOOD: Adams Tight Lies TI 15*

5 WOOD: Taylormade SLDR 19*

HYBRID: Adams Pro DHY 21 & 24*

IRONS: Ping I500 6-PW

WEDGES: Titleist SM7 Raw 50/54/58*

PUTTER: Taylormade Dupage

BALL: Taylormade TP5x