Made a 1 footer on 18 for bogey and a 79 (first time breaking 80)... what are your milestones?

dxdgenert

Last year I started a thread describing my heartbreaking 80:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1682082/missed-an-8-footer-on-18-for-birdie-and-a-79-i-ve-never-broken-80-what-are-your-heartbreaks/p1

Earlier this year, I was convinced that I broke 80 with a 70-something. After jumping into the car to avoid a deluge of rain that was upon me, I realized that I forgot to add up an entire hole on my scorecard, only to find out I had actually shot an 80, again. At that point, I was devastated and wondered if it would actually happen.

Well, today was the day! With a smooth outward 40 and inward 39, I shot a 79. I stepped on to the 18th knowing that a bogey would get the job done and I was able lag the 4th shot to within a foot. Tap in 79! Only 1 fairway hit (but 8-10 were within a yard of the fairway with rough that isn't very penal), 10 greens hit (2 others on the fringe) and an amazing, for me, 31 putts. Only lost one ball, as well (luckily, I had a miraculous chip-in on that hole to save par). Overall, the best round that I've ever played, obviously, and I couldn't be happier!

What are your milestones?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Great accomplishment. It’s always a big deal to do something for the first time, and not many non-golfers understand it.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

My first round under par I holed out a wedge for eagle on the 18th to shoot -1.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I posted this a while back, but the first time I broke 80, I was +1 through 14. Bogeyed the next two so was +3 through 16. I knew that all I really needed from there was two good tee shots and I was good to go.

Got really lucky on 17 as I hit a tee ball so far left that it went over the red stakes. Saved a bogey.

So now +4 on 18 tee. Bombed a drive right down the pipe on 18 so I’m starting to celebrate inside as I drive up to my ball. I was only about 140 out, but had a pond to clear. The ball was sitting in a horrible lie in the middle of the fairway. Downhill, hardpan, surrounded by tufts of grass. I probably should have punched out or something. But I figured I wanted to at least get the ball over the water before I started giving up strokes.

Of course I hit into the water, and started choking my way to the hole. BUT, I finally lagged a putt to within a foot for a tap-in triple for a 79.

I was happy. But that 79 should have been a 75. I definitely choked a bit after my birdie on 14 to get me to +1.

Oh well. I figured many more would come after finally breaking through. It’s been two years and I’ve only done it twice since. Hoping for another one soon!

Well done on breaking the barrier! Hopefully, it will be the first of many for you.

My biggest is shooting 68 in the first round of our Club’s 5 Day Open. My lowest is a 67 but the 68 meant more simply because of the competition that it was in. I had played well the whole way round, with one dodgy hole when I left one in the bunker but then managed to get it up and in for a 5. On the last hole, I hit one way right off the tee and normally that would be a guaranteed bogey. It was a chip out and I had 9 iron left to the green. I managed to get it to about 15 feet and as soon as it stopped on the green, I knew I was holing the putt. I have never been so happy on a golf course...kinda wish I could do it again.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Congratulations! With as much passion as we all have for the game and the time spent practicing, it’s such a rush when we reach a milestone. For me, the pinnacle milestone so far was when I shot even par 72 last April. Haven’t sniffed par since lol.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I’ve broken 80 a few times, so my next goal was breaking 75 at some point. I’ve shot 76 a couple of times, so a I knew it was doable.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a +2 (74), with a 3-putt bogey on 17. When I went back and looked at my scorecard, the front 9 included 2 double bogeys, 1 bogey and 2 birdies for a 39. Back 9 was 2 birdies and the 3-putt bogey on 17. Next goal is breaking par. Just have to find a way to keep doubles off the scorecard.

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Congratulations on your CLR. The first time I broke 80 I added up my score wrong, but in the opposite way of the opening of your post. Pretty cool feeling when I re-added my score and realized I had shot a 79.

Yesterday I shot my CLR by shooting a 77. My iron play lately has been so inconsistent that I sure didn't think I would shoot my lowest score. I recently weakened my grip trying to help me get away from pulling the ball. I ended up putting really well, hitting my driver and my irons really well. Something weird that I have never experienced was a fog all morning that wouldn't let our range finders work very well. Some holes we would not get a reading and would have to rely on our own instincts. I had purposely not kept up with my score as my buddy was driving and had the card but I knew I had a good round going. 18 is a cool par 5 that you have to go over creek and then a pond. I hit a great drive just short of the creek but decided not to go for the green in 2. I hit a lay up to 92 yards and then put my third shot pin high to 15 feet. I hammered my birdie putt and it hit the hole hard and popped out to 5 feet. I had made 5-6 footers all day but choked on this one to finish with a 3 putt bogey. I first thought, man what could have been if I had made that birdie and had not missed another short one but soon realized what could have been if I had not made so many other putts to save par.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

First time I broke par in competition, I birdied the 17th hole (one of the toughest holes in our province) to go 1 under and then made a 10 footer on the 18th to save par.

For some reason I felt good that day and didn't feel a ton of pressure. There are other days in competitions where I've shot 76 or something where I've been more stressed

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Great job!

I've been working on some stuff with the pro at my home course. Last Friday, I was off to a bad start scoring at +11 through 7 holes, even though I was striking the ball fairly well. Something we had been working on finally clicked, and my control was suddenly much better. Wound up shooting even par over the last 11 holes to finish with an 83. I had scored similarly a couple times recently, but never with that kind of finish.

Went out the next day, played an away round during a mini-vacation, had a much more consistent day with a 77, including birdies on back to back holes for the first time in 25+ years (the last time I broke 80). Only a par 70 course, but still felt great about the 77.

My other goal is to get my index down to single digits this season. I started at a 13.2, ballooned to 15.9 with 6 weeks of really bad golf. I'm down to 11.2 as of the last revision, currently trending to a 10.9.

Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

• Like 2

At 6300 yards it’s not the longest course, and the fast/dry/hard conditions let me bomb and gouge like no other, but it’s my home course

The 18th is our #2 cap hole at 440 yards and I came to the tee needing par for a 75; lowest all time personal mark. Boomed a drive with a tailwind of maybe 230 carry and 100 roll (found a dry slope). Hit sand wedge from 110 and just caught front edge, 35’ left. Blew the putt 12 feet past the hole.

Drained the comebacker, with an emphatic fist-pump and ”yes!”

My goals for the rest of the season are to break 80 from the 6800yd tips, and an even par front or back 9 from any tee. 37-38 so pretty close!

• Like 1

Congrats on breaking 80!!

**Milestone reached:** Shot under par a few years ago for the first time since high school (kids will do that to you...). I was -1 going into 18. Had a 50 footer for birdie and all I could think about was NOT 3-putting. Ended up dropping it in - what a feeling!

**Goal to be reached:** Bogey-free round. I've had stretches of 18 holes without a bogey, but never on one card. WRX will certainly hear about it when it happens...haha!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

> @mwilkins25 said:

> Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

>

> But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

15 to a 9 in one season is OUTSTANDING. Nice work MW!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

• 2 weeks later...

Played a course near me called Renditions today, which is made up of replica holes.

I think my career total for birdies before today was 4.

Today I birdied 3 holes on the back 9, including back to back on 11 and 12. First time ever doing that and even my playing partners (who were strangers) were really fired up!

Nice day!

I love reading these stories. I am sure each of these experiences will live a lifetime and will bring a smile from time to time for at least that long.

Today was my low round since returning to golf about 18 months ago after a 10 year plus break from the game. I finished the front with 3 bogies, but 4 birdies and a nice one under at my tough home course. Then had throw one OB on the back (15th handicapped hole lol) and kind of sputtered in the middle of that 9 to end the round 2 over. My cart partner was having a very rough round which took a little luster off of the day, but still, 73 it a fun day!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

You know, I don't remember the first time I broke 80, 90, or 100. I do remember the first time I shot under par I had to make a 10 foot or so putt on the final hole to do it. Was pretty stoked to shoot 71. I remember I three putted the 18th to shoot 70, another time I four-putted to shoot 72. Two different courses that both ended with par 5s. First time I broke 70, I made a birdie on the 18th, but I was playing really good that round and the birdie was for 67.

• Like 1

Sorry - posting error

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

It wasn’t my lowest round, but we have 27 holes and the one nine is fairly easy to get around, but the second nine if it’s on the rotation can be a challenge. Day before I played only 9 holes, I shot -3 on the simplest nine, that was with a bogey on 3 and then double on 9. Next day I played 18 holes, same front start, but back nine my nemesis side. Usually that back side I’m shooting 3 to 5 over. So feeling good from the -3 day before ready to play good. + 5 on easy side, even on back lol ?, it’s a crazy game. I’m an 8 hdcp, so anything in 70’s happy, so you can imagine how disappointed I was in myself about 6 months ago when I hit 16 of 18 greens and 42 putts. I don’t think I’ve ever had more 38 in a round! And that day as a testament to the clubs, that was the new blueprint ping irons with wrong shaft, I always play game improvement irons, after that day I realized shafts were just not quite what I wanted, so traded, now striving for 69! Good luck everyone.

You, my friend, were VERY lucky. Standing on the tee and knowing "all I need is a bogey"? That is almost a surefire 6 or worse. So good on'ya.

My first real milestone that I remember clearly was shooting par at my local when I was 20. 40/32 Figured I was out of it early, but never added up the card until after the round. Birdied 10, then just kind of scrambled pars around until consecutive birds on 15,16,17 (long 4, short 4, med BUT NARROW 5). Conventional par on 18 and then added the card up in the bar. (18 was the age then!) Couldn't believe it- after such a crappy front it worked out that I just played without a goal. Was able to do it a few more times but without the heroics.

Did shoot 2 under a few years later at a different course, but that was a general scrambling even par round with a RIDICULOUS 80 foot put for an eagle on a late par 5.

Shot my career low 85 from the tips on a 7k yd course that I never shot better than a 88 on playing fwd tees. I had been playing off about a 17-18hdcp for the last 5 years. Just using my 2019 scores, I am at 11.2 hdcp this year. Golf is finally fun again!!!!

• Like 1

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

Way to go. It's a great feeling. Keep plugging away. You will shoot 74 or 75 before you know it now that the mental block is eclipsed

I've had some solid milestones/goals hit over the years >>

Breaking 80, winning junior club c, winning club C's, breaking 70, getting to scratch, winning a university tournament, winning provincials, an ace, an albatross

Currently trying to break my PB of 68 .... and get back below scratch for first time in over 25 years .... and winning the club C at my current club

For some reason I also want 9 birdies in a round (I've had 7 .... and also 6 birds and an eagle)

First world golf problems ... I know I know

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9