2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

First Bandon trip; shocked by the cost

Roadking2003

very cool!

This is our lineup. I didn’t book anything day of arrival and day of leaving.

bezvrx9m6tvl.jpeg

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Can we grab a baby grill and make some steaks while drinking bourbon around the putting greens at night ? Real talk here.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

> @jerebear21 said:

> Can we grab a baby grill and make some steaks while drinking bourbon around the putting greens at night ? Real talk here.

Nice sched for the trip and no, just no - on the bbq. No... and no.

What you can do though is go down to the beach and do that, would need wedges instead of putters, but it could be a nice way to wind down the day, if the weather is cooperating.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

$1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Yeah I cancelled the preserve upon arrival. I think we are going to take our sweet time getting there. Maybe hit the bar early.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

> @TheInfidel said:

> $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

>

And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> >

>

> And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

>

> The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

Condescending keyboard warrior troll much?

Contrived? No. Your knowledge is clearly quite limited. It's an exercise in traveling and playing golf for enjoyment while tracking that enjoyment against cost. Move on.

> @TheInfidel said:

> $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

You're comparing apples and oranges. A more apt comparison would be going to Scotland and playing TOC, Kingsbarns, Carnoustie, North Berwick and maybe Muirfield and staying at a better than mid-tier hotel (the rooms at Bandon are simple, but by no means "mid-tier").

Keep in mind these are top 10 US public courses, in high season, with the highest end rooms, and caddies. Just by skipping the caddies and getting single rooms in the lodge that $1K/day would drop by almost half. The OP states he is in a place in life where he goes full-boat on these trips, which is cool, but you gotta be ready for the price tag on that. Going that route in Scotland (top courses, top accommodations) won't be any cheaper. Another advantage of Bandon is that those five courses are all right next to each other, plus a practice area that could probably be a pretty decent revenue generator on its own, but the resort lets players use it for free.

Having said all that, I get it. Bandon is not cheap (especially in high season) and is a PITA to get to from anywhere east of Boise. If I lived on the east coast or even in the mid-west, I'd probably opt for Scotland more often than not, too.

But the sheer volume of threads in this forum from folks that come to Bandon all skeptical and then end up planning their return before they even leave is testimony to the value.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I tried to go to ireland to play portrush and RCD in september; no tee time available at such short notice so I booked cabot instead; i remember the green fees were pretty high in ireland.

A trip to scotland isn't cheap from what I remember years ago. I averaged out to be 1k a day but that's between my wife and I. I didn't have a private coach, or drank heavy to tip heavy; Wives are expensive.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Spud3 pretty much nailed it, but I’d add a few thoughts. I’m not in the same tax bracket as the OP, but I have been to BD during peak season and haven’t complained about the cost so I think that gives me some credibility.

Bandon is by no means cheap, but they go out of their way to give you your money’s worth. Discounted replays, free range/short course/Punchbowl, very reasonable food & drink options, etc. Most importantly, the courses are spectacular. You should play them and ask yourself honestly what it costs to maintain the quality of the courses and pace of play.

And unless someone has night terrors or sleep apnea, you’re lighting money on fire by not doubling up on rooms. I’ve been to BD 7 times and have never done anything in my room besides sleep, shower, and change. You will never spend any time there.

I hear what the OP is saying, he’s at a station in life where he’s not going to cut corners, play 36 or play w/o caddies, etc. But there’s a cost for that, you’ll have a great experience but you’re missing out on the value that BD offers, and you can’t expect people to have too much empathy for you when you claim it’s not a good value.

> @TheInfidel said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> > >

> >

> > And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> > Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

> >

> > The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

>

> Condescending keyboard warrior troll much?

>

>

> Contrived? No. Your knowledge is clearly quite limited. It's an exercise in traveling and playing golf for enjoyment while tracking that enjoyment against cost. Move on.

Condescending? No, not at all, it's not like I was saying "social media fluff and snake oil". As to keyboard warrior troll, I can only assume that's some pretty awesome projection or just a copy/paste go-to.

Anyways, I know you've played pretty much anywhere and everywhere in Scotland, so how about we switch contrived with deliberately obtuse, because those are the only two ways someone as knowledgeable as yourself can make that comparison.

Were you disappointed with your trip to Bandon? How would you order the courses? And how would you rank them against the ones you mentioned above?

Right, you've never been, seems that would limit someone's knowledge :-)

We stay & play 36 holes/day at Bandon for as little as $260 (+ f&b). Stay & play 18 holes/day for $210 if you will and then it obviously can go up from there. IMHO it's the best 'value' golf in North America.

I think it's up there with sub 100GBP rounds at spots like Deal, West Sussex, Brancaster, Huntercombe etc... plus a reasonably priced inn, in regards to tracking enjoyment vs cost. And if we then needed to geographically constrain the sub 100 quid selections, that'd be another layer.

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > > > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > > > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > > > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > > > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> > > >

> > >

> > > And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> > > Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

> > >

> > > The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

> >

> > Condescending keyboard warrior troll much?

> >

> >

> > Contrived? No. Your knowledge is clearly quite limited. It's an exercise in traveling and playing golf for enjoyment while tracking that enjoyment against cost. Move on.

>

> Condescending? No, not at all, it's not like I was saying "social media fluff and snake oil". As to keyboard warrior troll, I can only assume that's some pretty awesome projection or just a copy/paste go-to.

>

> Anyways, I know you've played pretty much anywhere and everywhere in Scotland, so how about we switch contrived with deliberately obtuse, because those are the only two ways someone as knowledgeable as yourself can make that comparison.

>

> Were you disappointed with your trip to Bandon? How would you order the courses? And how would you rank them against the ones you mentioned above?

> Right, you've never been, seems that would limit someone's knowledge :-)

>

> We stay & play 36 holes/day at Bandon for as little as $260 (+ f&b). Stay & play 18 holes/day for $210 if you will and then it obviously can go up from there. IMHO it's the best 'value' golf in North America.

> I think it's up there with sub 100GBP rounds at spots like Deal, West Sussex, Brancaster, Huntercombe etc... plus a reasonably priced inn, in regards to tracking enjoyment vs cost. And if we then needed to geographically constrain the sub 100 quid selections, that'd be another layer.

You got me red handed lol, I'm biased towards traditional links courses with history, championships and decades of refinement behind them. What I was doing was using the OPs original number ($1000) to do a cost benefit analysis for someone who is keen to play links golf. Something you choose to get "grumpy old man" about, but that's your choice. I hadn't appreciated until you put your numbers that the same courses are available for a quarter of the cost, even if you stay and play.

I can't knock all your points, for a course that opened in 1999 and markets itself has a state side option for that style of golf then I've heard Bandon is great. My snide remark about Social media fluff was directed at courses that can be 50% marketing but sometimes fail to back it up with product. I'm sure the sheer number of positive reviews can't be that far off. What I would challenge is a cost estimate of $1000 per day being worth it, whether you've got the money to throw away or not. I also don't buy into the argument that because you're financially well off you can "afford" to pay whatever. Big business loves those people.

I think we'd probably find common ground on the fact that alternatives exist, and some of them in Scotland/Ireland are certainly worth playing if you're inclined to travel, though I know there are some who aren't minded to hop across the Atlantic. In a shoulder season you can play The Old Course for £74, Muirfield for £110, Carnoustie for £105, Gullane 1 for £75, and North Berwick for £95. I've taken advantage of all of these. I don't think Bandon is quite in this league when you consider that after tips and food you'd have £500 a day for some very upmarket lodges or cabins. Though the kicker here is that there would be a £500 to pay for which adds a £100 per day on a 5 day trip. Not sure how much it costs stateside to get to Bandon, but from several trips to the US I know first hand it's a big place!

If all goes well I'll be over in Bandon in 2020 with some buddies, I won't be spending $1000 a day, but then we can compare Apples and Apples.

> @"Slippin Jimmy" said:

> Spud3 pretty much nailed it, but I’d add a few thoughts. I’m not in the same tax bracket as the OP, but I have been to BD during peak season and haven’t complained about the cost so I think that gives me some credibility.

>

> Bandon is by no means cheap, but they go out of their way to give you your money’s worth. Discounted replays, free range/short course/Punchbowl, very reasonable food & drink options, etc. Most importantly, the courses are spectacular. You should play them and ask yourself honestly what it costs to maintain the quality of the courses and pace of play.

>

> And unless someone has night terrors or sleep apnea, you’re lighting money on fire by not doubling up on rooms. I’ve been to BD 7 times and have never done anything in my room besides sleep, shower, and change. You will never spend any time there.

>

> I hear what the OP is saying, he’s at a station in life where he’s not going to cut corners, play 36 or play w/o caddies, etc. But there’s a cost for that, you’ll have a great experience but you’re missing out on the value that BD offers, and you can’t expect people to have too much empathy for you when you claim it’s not a good value.

I don't recall saying it is not a good value. If I did, I shouldn't have.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> >

>

> And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

>

> The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

OK, here is how I got close to $1000 per day

6 rounds of golf ($295 each) = $1770

6 caddie fees ($120 each) =$720

7 nights in a shared four-bedroom villa ($1940 per night) = $3396

Eating out for seven days = $700

Wine every night $300

Airfare $900

Total $7786.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> > >

> >

> > Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

> >

> > The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

>

> OK, here is how I got close to $1000 per day

>

> 6 rounds of golf ($295 each) = $1770

> 6 caddie fees ($120 each) =$720

> 7 nights in a shared four-bedroom villa ($1940 per night) = $3396

> Eating out for seven days = $700

> Wine every night $300

> Airfare $900

>

> Total $7786.

Fantastic. No one here ever contested you can and will drop as much money on a trip as you want. You can run up a tab anywhere.

We're just pointing out alternative paths - where even if you don't want to chance Nov-Feb weather - you can play there for a lot less in the Spring and still have excellent and warm weather.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

F.T.

Just booked our trip to Bandon next February. Any tips for how much rain gear to bring and which courses should be played more than once? We're also getting caddies. We're a twosome. Do they pair you up? I don't care if they do, but watching some vlogs seems like a lot of twosomes. Anyone ever made the drive from the Bay Area?

> @gambit said:

> Just booked our trip to Bandon next February. Any tips for how much rain gear to bring and which courses should be played more than once? We're also getting caddies. We're a twosome. Do they pair you up? I don't care if they do, but watching some vlogs seems like a lot of twosomes. Anyone ever made the drive from the Bay Area?

Rain gear - as much as fits in the trunk. Basically two of everything and since you're driving I'd bring a 3rd pair of golf shoes

Play more than once - all of them :-) Kidding/not kidding aside, check one of the which ones to play Bandon threads for ideas.

Pairing up - like anywhere else, definitely for morning rounds unless someone is a no show, afternoons depend

Drive up - Yes I've done it a bunch. Drive up is fun, drive back is crap. Taking the coast I stop in Crescent City or Brookings for the night. Taking I5 I stop at Canyonville/Holiday Inn beside casino. You can do it in one go and I have, but if it's raining, I prefer to call it a night at one of those two places and then start again the next morning.

• Like 1

F.T.

Yeah, what duff said. I'd say two jackets at minimum. You can probably get away with one pair of pants if the coating is fresh. Three pairs of shoes isn't a bad idea, two for sure, use the dryers in the rooms each night. Rotating and drying just two pairs can be an issue though, especially if your buddy needs them too (I guess you can always ask for another dryer.........). If you have fully waterproof shoes like the Air Bandons, one pair can work, but switching up shoes helps the feet in general, rain or shine.

If you're on I5, Yaks on the 5 in Dunsmuir is worth a stop, though their prices are getting a bit too high. Watch the forecast for snow over the pass before dropping into Medford/Ashland. You're usually okay during the day, but can get dicey at night. Also, the stretch from 5 back to 101, can be a bit tricky in bad weather and/or at night.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

> @duffer987 said:

> > @gambit said:

> > Just booked our trip to Bandon next February. Any tips for how much rain gear to bring and which courses should be played more than once? We're also getting caddies. We're a twosome. Do they pair you up? I don't care if they do, but watching some vlogs seems like a lot of twosomes. Anyone ever made the drive from the Bay Area?

>

> Rain gear - as much as fits in the trunk. Basically two of everything and since you're driving I'd bring a 3rd pair of golf shoes

> Play more than once - all of them :-) Kidding/not kidding aside, check one of the which ones to play Bandon threads for ideas.

> Pairing up - like anywhere else, definitely for morning rounds unless someone is a no show, afternoons depend

> Drive up - Yes I've done it a bunch. Drive up is fun, drive back is crap. Taking the coast I stop in Crescent City or Brookings for the night. Taking I5 I stop at Canyonville/Holiday Inn beside casino. You can do it in one go and I have, but if it's raining, I prefer to call it a night at one of those two places and then start again the next morning.

Thanks, Duffer. So we're going in on 2/28. We were going to try and play Old Mac the day of but have cancelled that because I'm sure after the long drive we'll be a little tired and plan on using the free par 3 and punch bowl for some practice. Driving will make packing all my crap much easier. I know they have push/pull carts up there. Debating whether or not I should bring my Clicgear if we decide not to use a caddy for one or two rounds.

Schedule of rounds:

2/29 - Bandon Trails (AM); Pac Dunes (PM)

3/1 - Bandon Dunes (AM); Bandon Preserve (PM)

3/2 - Pac Dunes (AM); Old Mac (PM)

3/3 - Bandon Dunes (AM), go home.

I do like the pull carts they have on property, the large wheels are great. I will say the good thing about the Clicgear, is that it makes it easier/simpler to hang/drape your rain gear while walking etc....should you get one of those periods of on again off again showers. The pull carts are okay, but get off balance if you hang wet gear. We carry half the time and putting gear on and off and packing/carrying it can be a pain.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

> @TheInfidel said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > > > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > > > > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > > > > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > > > > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > > > > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> > > > Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

> > > >

> > > > The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

> > >

> > > Condescending keyboard warrior troll much?

> > >

> > >

> > > Contrived? No. Your knowledge is clearly quite limited. It's an exercise in traveling and playing golf for enjoyment while tracking that enjoyment against cost. Move on.

> >

> > Condescending? No, not at all, it's not like I was saying "social media fluff and snake oil". As to keyboard warrior troll, I can only assume that's some pretty awesome projection or just a copy/paste go-to.

> >

> > Anyways, I know you've played pretty much anywhere and everywhere in Scotland, so how about we switch contrived with deliberately obtuse, because those are the only two ways someone as knowledgeable as yourself can make that comparison.

> >

> > Were you disappointed with your trip to Bandon? How would you order the courses? And how would you rank them against the ones you mentioned above?

> > Right, you've never been, seems that would limit someone's knowledge :-)

> >

> > We stay & play 36 holes/day at Bandon for as little as $260 (+ f&b). Stay & play 18 holes/day for $210 if you will and then it obviously can go up from there. IMHO it's the best 'value' golf in North America.

> > I think it's up there with sub 100GBP rounds at spots like Deal, West Sussex, Brancaster, Huntercombe etc... plus a reasonably priced inn, in regards to tracking enjoyment vs cost. And if we then needed to geographically constrain the sub 100 quid selections, that'd be another layer.

>

> You got me red handed lol, I'm biased towards traditional links courses with history, championships and decades of refinement behind them. What I was doing was using the OPs original number ($1000) to do a cost benefit analysis for someone who is keen to play links golf. Something you choose to get "grumpy old man" about, but that's your choice. I hadn't appreciated until you put your numbers that the same courses are available for a quarter of the cost, even if you stay and play.

>

> I can't knock all your points, for a course that opened in 1999 and markets itself has a state side option for that style of golf then I've heard Bandon is great. My snide remark about Social media fluff was directed at courses that can be 50% marketing but sometimes fail to back it up with product. I'm sure the sheer number of positive reviews can't be that far off. What I would challenge is a cost estimate of $1000 per day being worth it, whether you've got the money to throw away or not. I also don't buy into the argument that because you're financially well off you can "afford" to pay whatever. Big business loves those people.

>

> I think we'd probably find common ground on the fact that alternatives exist, and some of them in Scotland/Ireland are certainly worth playing if you're inclined to travel, though I know there are some who aren't minded to hop across the Atlantic. In a shoulder season you can play The Old Course for £74, Muirfield for £110, Carnoustie for £105, Gullane 1 for £75, and North Berwick for £95. I've taken advantage of all of these. I don't think Bandon is quite in this league when you consider that after tips and food you'd have £500 a day for some very upmarket lodges or cabins. Though the kicker here is that there would be a £500 to pay for which adds a £100 per day on a 5 day trip. Not sure how much it costs stateside to get to Bandon, but from several trips to the US I know first hand it's a big place!

>

> If all goes well I'll be over in Bandon in 2020 with some buddies, I won't be spending $1000 a day, but then we can compare Apples and Apples.

I don't disagree about the value thing, just that if we're pegging peak season Bandon at $575 18 holes/night's stay, then I think it compares very favourably amongst it's closest examples of modern Scottish choices at Castle Stuart, Kingsbarns, Renaissance, and Skibo. And that's where the comparison should be made IMHO, as opposed to more modest options.

Having played the first 3, I'd put Castle Stuart in with the Bandon resort courses, and the others a tier down. Compared to NB, TOC, Royal Aberdeen, I agree that Bandon Resort courses don't quite match up to those best of the best. But you shoulder season/off season Bandon - as I said above - it's value is awesome. Also for the golfers amongst the 80 million residents of the Western US & Canada, Bandon is easier and cheaper than the UK/Scotland.

Bandon Dunes (the course specifically) is my favorite course in North America, yet I'd actually have to have a think and list them out to see if it'd crack my Top 20 favorites in the UK and Ireland, such is the quality on offer. That said, it'd definitely make my Top 10 faves in Scotland (admittedly not having played Muirfield yet.)

As I just said above to RK - no one denies you can rack up a big bill at Bandon, but it's important to point out how relatively inexpensive it can be, for what I would hope everyone would agree is simply the best public access golf setup in North America.

F.T.

> @buzlin said:

> I do like the pull carts they have on property, the large wheels are great. I will say the good thing about the Clicgear, is that it makes it easier/simpler to hang/drape your rain gear while walking etc....should you get one of those periods of on again off again showers. The pull carts are okay, but get off balance if you hang wet gear. We carry half the time and putting gear on and off and packing/carrying it can be a pain.

Agree. I'm bringing my Clicgear with me. I typically carry Pacific and use trolleys for the rest and if you use those Rickshaws over a 4/5 day period you see all the flaws pretty quick. The main one being you always have to be actively pushing or pulling them and keeping them balanced, vs a Clicgear which you can simply give a push now and again. Also the Clicgear coldweather gloves that velcro onto the handles work soooo well.

F.T.

Anyone going to Bandon needs to seriously invest in Gore Tex. There are many others but only one Gore Tex. Some get close but none ever match it nor beat it for true waterproof protection. And the lifetime warranty.

Buy once cry once if you don’t use it you can sell it for near what you paid and if you do use it you can still sell it for a good price.

I went first time n had the fancy mcfancy footjoy stuff and I may as well just went without. Years of motorcycling should have learned me but it didn’t. Now I have Gore Tex.

The rain gear will dry out rather quickly. Base layers, socks, under roos, and shoes is what you want extras of.

Play each course once and pick your favorite for another go round. Mine is Trails. Surprising to some but it’s appreciated more if played more than once.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I have not been to Bandon before, but on my way to Scotland last year to play a few rounds, sighteeing with the wife and going to two rounds of the Open I sat next to a guy that was part of a group that takes two or three trips a year. They were older and all their kids are out of college and all that I met I would wager do pretty well for themselves. We got to talking about Kohler, Pinehurst, Bandon, Ireland, Florida, Scotland and overall enjoyment of trips vs. pricing. He said they did Bandon in 2016 and based on everything they preferred going to Scotland or Ireland over Bandon. I thought it very odd, but he said they spent less going to Ireland and Scotland than they did going to Bandon, I was absolutely blown away. They all live in the Dallas Ft Worth area. He said the worst part of Bandon though was getting there and then getting back, talked about a long car ride or flying a puddle jumper from Bandon but he did say once there it was awesome not having to drive around for a ton of courses like they do in Scotland and Ireland..

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > >

> >

> >

>

> OK, here is how I got close to $1000 per day

>

> 6 rounds of golf ($295 each) = $1770

> 6 caddie fees ($120 each) =$720

> 7 nights in a shared four-bedroom villa ($1940 per night) = $3396

> Eating out for seven days = $700

> Wine every night $300

> Airfare $900

>

> Total $7786.

Drop the caddies and buy some local wine. We have very affordable wines here in Oregon.