2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

First Bandon trip; shocked by the cost

Roadking2003

> @Pulledabill said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > > $1000 a day!? I've never been personally but I can't think that is even close to good value for good links golf. Sounds like social media fluff and snake oil over at Bandon.

> > > > Jump on a flight to Glasgow/Edinburgh, there are tonnes of them for $500. I've literally just checked United.

> > > > Stay in any mid tier hotel for $70 a night and play West Kilbride, Kilmarnock Barassie, Gullane 2, Dunbar, Craigielaw, North Berwick & Kilspindie.

> > > > You'll have the time of your life, and you'll not even spend close to $1000 a day and you can have a steak dinner (with haggis) every night.

> > > > I'll even hook you up with a buddy who does Malt tasting in The Jar in Troon.

> > > >

> > >

> > > And if my aunt had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

> > > Anyone who golfs and travels knows how to do the maths and make comparisons; which makes it dead easy to spot contrived examples like yours.

> > >

> > > The guys dropping $1k a day at Bandon peak summer, are not going to Scotland to play any of those except North Berwick. They're getting a private coach, caddies, tipping at the bar, and playing rota courses.

> >

> > OK, here is how I got close to $1000 per day

> >

> > 6 rounds of golf ($295 each) = $1770

> > 6 caddie fees ($120 each) =$720

> > 7 nights in a shared four-bedroom villa ($1940 per night) = $3396

> > Eating out for seven days = $700

> > Wine every night $300

> > Airfare $900

> >

> > Total $7786.

>

> Drop the caddies and buy some local wine. We have very affordable wines here in Oregon.

I am quite sure there are lots of options to reduce costs. At my age, enjoying the trip is more important than the cost.

And I've been to several wineries in Oregon. They have good Pinot Noir but I'm more into Cabernets.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I am quite sure there are lots of options to reduce costs. At my age, enjoying the trip is more important than the cost.

>

> And I've been to several wineries in Oregon. They have good Pinot Noir but I'm more into Cabernets.

>

Then in that case fly to PDX and charter a business jet or turboprop to take you to OTH. Half the battle is the logistics and a few glasses of wine in a King Air 300 won’t add to the stress.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @dan360 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > I am quite sure there are lots of options to reduce costs. At my age, enjoying the trip is more important than the cost.

> >

> > And I've been to several wineries in Oregon. They have good Pinot Noir but I'm more into Cabernets.

> >

>

> Then in that case fly to PDX and charter a business jet or turboprop to take you to OTH. Half the battle is the logistics and a few glasses of wine in a King Air 300 won’t add to the stress.

>

>

I didn't say cost was not a consideration at all. And I can drink lots of wine while flying commercial into OTH.

Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers. If it is true with a price tag of over a thousand per day for golf and lodging. Did you add your $150 per person per day for food and drink ?

I really can't see any golf course charge more than $350 per round without a caddie. That's just my opinion. The golf course can price their rounds anyway they wish as long as the market could sustain the price.

One does not need to go Bandon or Pebble to "enjoy" a round of golf. But then again, Don't need to drive a $100 K + daily commuter either, but many do.

It won't be on my bucket list to spend over a Grand a day to lodge and golf. Not even when they throw in kissing my toes. I'd rather donate that overage to my Charity, if I have it.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> Here is why people pay double to go in August rather than December;

>

> q8kwd3jouwma.jpg

>

And? PNW weather better in summer than winter shocker.

Are you like this with everything, when you first discover what everyone else already knows.

Folks must have got really tired of hearing about the difference between mules and donkeys.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

So here's the costs for each of the top five public courses in the country, as if I walked up and got a room and a round with a caddie today (i.e., the middle of the high season). Actually, it's five of the top six. I left out Shadow Creek so I could add Pinehurst.

1. Pebble: 550 + 95 for caddie. Cheapest room: 670

2. Pacific Dunes: 285 + 100 for caddie. Cheapest room: 240

3. Whistling Straits: 410 + 115 caddie (required). Cheapest room: 321

4. Kiawah Ocean: 247 + 100 for caddie. Cheapest room: 505

6. Pinehurst #2: 405 + 90 for caddie. Cheapest room: 355

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

The only other top tier US resort that I could find that could give Bandon a run for its money (cost-wise) is Streamsong. They have a three-night package that includes rounds on all three courses, a room and breakfast for about 450/day in the high season. Add 100 for a caddie. 75/day less than Bandon.

spud3 is spot on as usual.

What’s different about the above sans PD is all those other places have the “as seen on TV” checkmark.

Had Bandon been located near an established city of decent size with hotels and logistics in place, there would be PGA/LPGA/Korn Ferry-Nationwide-Buy-Web-Nike-Hogan/Champions Tour events there yearly. I’ll stand by that remark for infinity and beyond.

It’s in the middle of nowhere and to me that makes it even more desirable as a destination. Less clutter from people who just want to photo op there, and more golfers to golf with.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Odds of good weather at Bandon during the winter are far greater than Scotland.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @dan360 said:

> > Odds of good weather at Bandon during the winter are far greater than Scotland.

>

> Bandon averages 10.3 inches of rain in December. I doubt any place in Scotland rains that much.

> An average high of 54 is NOT good weather in my book.

>

Come live in North Dakota for a winter and you'll change your tune ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely do bandon on a budget by playing multiple rounds per day and not going in the max rate peak season, and it’s a pretty good deal. Or you can go for the full monty and it is very expensive. But having played Pebble and Whistling and other similar trips, I don’t think there is a better value in golf. At least not that I have seen yet.

> @wkuo3 said:

>** Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers. If** it is true with a price tag of over a thousand per day for golf and lodging. Did you add your $150 per person per day for food and drink ?

> I really can't see any golf course charge more than $350 per round without a caddie. That's just my opinion. The golf course can price their rounds anyway they wish as long as the market could sustain the price.

> One does not need to go Bandon or Pebble to "enjoy" a round of golf. But then again, Don't need to drive a $100 K + daily commuter either, but many do.

> It won't be on my bucket list to spend over a Grand a day to lodge and golf. Not even when they throw in kissing my toes. I'd rather donate that overage to my Charity, if I have it.

Considering they booked full up to almost 2 years out and are building their 5th course, I have to disagree with your 1st statement.

• Like 1

> @mallrat said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> >** Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers. If** it is true with a price tag of over a thousand per day for golf and lodging. Did you add your $150 per person per day for food and drink ?

> > I really can't see any golf course charge more than $350 per round without a caddie. That's just my opinion. The golf course can price their rounds anyway they wish as long as the market could sustain the price.

> > One does not need to go Bandon or Pebble to "enjoy" a round of golf. But then again, Don't need to drive a $100 K + daily commuter either, but many do.

> > It won't be on my bucket list to spend over a Grand a day to lodge and golf. Not even when they throw in kissing my toes. I'd rather donate that overage to my Charity, if I have it.

>

> Considering they booked full up to almost 2 years out and are building their 5th course, I have to disagree with your 1st statement.

You can definitely go enjoy yourself with the many other golfers made the tee sheets full.

But I'd bet you will have a good chance of walk on if you live near by.

Value is in the eyes of beholder, and those who would open they wallet to have the experience.

Since the WRX board is so interested in numbers and sutistic, is there a number showing rounds of Actual play per season at the golf courses in Bandon ? I mean, it could have the charming golf courses, but it is after all a singular destination for golf only.

It's fine when some would drive a vehicle equal to value of a small condominium and feels great. I'm in the group of more practical sense

All I can say is, been there and done most of it. For those wishing to visit the place, enjoy every dollar's worth.

It's good to have something to look forward to in life.

> @mallrat said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> >** Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers. If** it is true with a price tag of over a thousand per day for golf and lodging. Did you add your $150 per person per day for food and drink ?

> > I really can't see any golf course charge more than $350 per round without a caddie. That's just my opinion. The golf course can price their rounds anyway they wish as long as the market could sustain the price.

> > One does not need to go Bandon or Pebble to "enjoy" a round of golf. But then again, Don't need to drive a $100 K + daily commuter either, but many do.

> > It won't be on my bucket list to spend over a Grand a day to lodge and golf. Not even when they throw in kissing my toes. I'd rather donate that overage to my Charity, if I have it.

>

> Considering they booked full up to almost 2 years out and are building their 5th course, I have to disagree with your 1st statement.

Your stats are not in conflict with his 1st statement. " Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers" is absolutely true. But that doesn't mean they will not sell out.

> @wkuo3 said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > > @wkuo3 said:

> > >** Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers. If** it is true with a price tag of over a thousand per day for golf and lodging. Did you add your $150 per person per day for food and drink ?

> > > I really can't see any golf course charge more than $350 per round without a caddie. That's just my opinion. The golf course can price their rounds anyway they wish as long as the market could sustain the price.

> > > One does not need to go Bandon or Pebble to "enjoy" a round of golf. But then again, Don't need to drive a $100 K + daily commuter either, but many do.

> > > It won't be on my bucket list to spend over a Grand a day to lodge and golf. Not even when they throw in kissing my toes. I'd rather donate that overage to my Charity, if I have it.

> >

> > Considering they booked full up to almost 2 years out and are building their 5th course, I have to disagree with your 1st statement.

>

> You can definitely go enjoy yourself with the many other golfers made the tee sheets full.

> But I'd bet you will have a good chance of walk on if you live near by.

> Value is in the eyes of beholder, and those who would open they wallet to have the experience.

> Since the WRX board is so interested in numbers and sutistic, is there a number showing rounds of Actual play per season at the golf courses in Bandon ? I mean, it could have the charming golf courses, but it is after all a singular destination for golf only.

> It's fine when some would drive a vehicle equal to value of a small condominium and feels great. I'm in the group of more practical sense

> All I can say is, been there and done most of it. For those wishing to visit the place, enjoy every dollar's worth.

> It's good to have something to look forward to in life.

Each of the 4 big courses at Bandon averages roughly 72,000 rounds per year last I saw. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.

• 4 months later...

The idea that people think Bandon has priced itself out of the range for most golfers when you can get on the second best course (or 3 other Top 25) in the country for $135 blows me away. Play 36 in a day and you're paying $100 a round. This holds absolutely no water.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Lexus, BMW, Mercedes have priced themselves out of the range for most drivers. There are plenty of other cars to buy, maybe even a used car. Not everyone can afford everything. Sure, it would be great if green fees were $50 and rooms were $100/night. Good luck getting on. They'd be booked out years in advance.

It is certainly an advantage for those of us who live close enough to drive and can watch the forecasts in the winter for a window of better-ish weather. Adding airfare and car rental can almost double the winter price, and adding caddies can almost double it again. Believe me, we know how lucky we are.

In a similar vein, those that live close to Streamsong probably would make the same argument as those of us who live near Bandon.

I am a father of four young kids. The ~$1500 I’m about to drop for five rounds on those courses and three nights’ of sleep in a king bed by myself are dollars I am so very happy to part with. It’s the only guys trip of any substance I’ll likely take this year; the last one really was worth every penny. And we got absolutely hammered by a true PNW gale on two days. They clocked gusts of 73mph an hour before we feed off our first round...

...Cannot wait to get back.

• Like 2

Agreed. Not sure how they got over $1k a day for golf and lodging (staying in a suite by yourself?) and not sure what they're eating at $150/day, but to each their own. I'll be there with my group of friends every other year until we can no longer walk.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1