Bounce for new wedge set/shaft flex

Looking to get a new GW, SW, and LW. What bounce would you recommend for the set to best compliment each other? If history is any indicator, I will only be using the GW for full shots and the courses I play are neither super hard or mushy.

In a driver, I swing a XX shaft but as I am not trying to bomb these, what flex does a high clubhead speed guy use in wedges?

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What shafts are in your irons? I’m on mobile 99% of the time and can’t see signature. Driver shaft flex may give some insight into swing speed in general, but wedges are about precision and consistency. For reference I game PX 6.0 or 6.5 in my irons and changed all my wedge shafts to PX 6.0 a few years ago to keep same feel, and was such an improvement over something like a stock vokey wedge flex. Most would recommend using same shaft that is in your irons for all wedges that you will hit full shots with, and you could look at something a little softer for lob wedge.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9* w/GD Tour AD TP 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX6.0

Titleist SM8 50-08 w/PX 6.0, 54-10, 58-08 w/PX 5.5

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Just went to a vokey fitting this weekend. Grind makes a bigger difference than bounce. Truthfully, the only way you’re going to for sure get it right is to go hit a bunch of different wedges, a bunch of different shots, from a variety of lies. The differences are subtle but the way the club interacts with the ground really makes a difference. FWIW, I was fit into 50f/54s/58m with S200. My driver ss is about 112. I’m a bit of a digger, so I was surprised that this combo was the best. That’s why testing is so important, m grind is labeled as a grind for shallower AoA.

The go to shaft for higher swing speeds is usually S400 tour issue dynamic gold, start there and see how it feels.

> @KevCannon said:

> What shafts are in your irons? I’m on mobile 99% of the time and can’t see signature. Driver shaft flex may give some insight into swing speed in general, but wedges are about precision and consistency. For reference I game PX 6.0 or 6.5 in my irons and changed all my wedge shafts to PX 6.0 a few years ago to keep same feel, and was such an improvement over something like a stock vokey wedge flex. Most would recommend using same shaft that is in your irons for all wedges that you will hit full shots with, and you could look at something a little softer for lob wedge.

Good advice. My irons are old ping g-25s with stock stiff shafts and I think I've picked up a pretty good amount of speed since I got them and am probably due for an update. Only have about $500 of men's club book money so new wedges it is for now though (mine are about 20 years old). Hit a ton of 4 irons today in the backyard and the mevo had me between 105 and 110.

> @chadly643 said:

> Just went to a vokey fitting this weekend. Grind makes a bigger difference than bounce. Truthfully, the only way you’re going to for sure get it right is to go hit a bunch of different wedges, a bunch of different shots, from a variety of lies. The differences are subtle but the way the club interacts with the ground really makes a difference. FWIW, I was fit into 50f/54s/58m with S200. My driver ss is about 112. I’m a bit of a digger, so I was surprised that this combo was the best. That’s why testing is so important, m grind is labeled as a grind for shallower AoA.

>

> The go to shaft for higher swing speeds is usually S400 tour issue dynamic gold, start there and see how it feels.

Nice, that sounds awesome. No Vokey fittings appear to be available in Denver so not sure how to best do that. I know we have some fitters here but as far as I know its all off mats into a simulator or off a covered mat onto the range.

> @GolfBall_Whacker_Guy said:

> > @KevCannon said:

> > What shafts are in your irons? I’m on mobile 99% of the time and can’t see signature. Driver shaft flex may give some insight into swing speed in general, but wedges are about precision and consistency. For reference I game PX 6.0 or 6.5 in my irons and changed all my wedge shafts to PX 6.0 a few years ago to keep same feel, and was such an improvement over something like a stock vokey wedge flex. Most would recommend using same shaft that is in your irons for all wedges that you will hit full shots with, and you could look at something a little softer for lob wedge.

> Good advice. My irons are old ping g-25s with stock stiff shafts and I think I've picked up a pretty good amount of speed since I got them and am probably due for an update. Only have about $500 of men's club book money so new wedges it is for now though (mine are about 20 years old). Hit a ton of 4 irons today in the backyard and the mevo had me between 105 and 110.

Well you aren’t lacking for speed lol. What is the brand name of the “stock stiff” iron shaft. There is no standard for flex so 1 company’s stiff could be another’s regular or extra stiff. I am not sure what came stock in those Ping irons. The stock shaft in Vokey wedge is Dynamic Gold s200 that weighs roughly 126-127 grams if I am not mistaken. How is your dispersion, distance control/gapping, spin, and flight on your current wedges? If all those are good currently then you could try same shaft you have been using. Majority of places that offer a fitting, will not charge you if purchasing what they recommend. Also be aware that not all fittings are created equal. A fitting at Golf Galaxy or Dicks is not really a fitting, but if you are buying at a club like you stated, the club pro or assistant pro normally works in the pro shop part time, and should be able to help you out much more than any of us. As far as the bounce and grind options, that is really where the fitting will pay off. You may think you need a certain grind but after hitting shots realize you need something different.

> @spk7 said:

> The grind and bounce really depends on what you’re trying to do with each wedge but for gap if it’s mostly for full shots I’d say just get the grind suited for any condition with around 8* bounce

Makes sense. I am currently using my 56 for just about everything inside of its full swing range bc it is so much spinnier than my LW for some reason and knowing pitches just bounce and insta-skid to a stop is a lot more consistent than trying to play the LW rollout. Only really using the LW for shots that are stopped via trajectory, not spin.

So getting a grind that lets me open up the LW more (what Vokey grind/bounce combination would that be?) would be the way to go then a more standard grind/bounce on the 56?

M grind has good amount of heel relief to open up club face. D grind is same grind but more bounce (12-d grind, 8 bounce-m grind)

> @GolfBall_Whacker_Guy said:

> > @spk7 said:

> > The grind and bounce really depends on what you’re trying to do with each wedge but for gap if it’s mostly for full shots I’d say just get the grind suited for any condition with around 8* bounce

>

> Makes sense. I am currently using my 56 for just about everything inside of its full swing range bc it is so much spinnier than my LW for some reason and knowing pitches just bounce and insta-skid to a stop is a lot more consistent than trying to play the LW rollout. Only really using the LW for shots that are stopped via trajectory, not spin.

>

> So getting a grind that lets me open up the LW more (what Vokey grind/bounce combination would that be?) would be the way to go then a more standard grind/bounce on the 56?

The m grind is the best for opening/closing the face around the greens to create shots, I’d still stick with a bounce right in the middle

> @chadly643 said:

> Just went to a vokey fitting this weekend. Grind makes a bigger difference than bounce. ...

GB_Whacker,

Go online to Titleist and look for local Titleist Thursdays [https://titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/thursdays](https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/thursdays "https://titleist.com/fitting/golf-club-fitting/thursdays"). You can make an appointment with participating pros for a club fitting - you could focus on wedges and check out all things Vokey.

As for shafts, a Vokey fitter suggested as a starting point using the same shafts in your wedges as in your irons. For wedges you use mainly for full shots, use the same shaft and flex. For wedges you use mainly use for partial shots - often SW and LW - softstep the shaft. Softstepping increases spin on a less-than-full shots. You would try other wedge shafts if the iron shafts didn't deliver the action and feel you want.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Yeah I've been thinkin I have too much bounce on my 50.12 and 54.12 recently. I'm usually a sweeper but I've been trying to come down on the ball more because the contact feels more solid. Both ways work with my irons, but the wedges only respond to well to a super steep (to me at least) attack angle. I can't sweep and hit them high, but I can w my PW that has 6* bounce.

The only thing I can think of is to film in slo mo to see if I'm flipping or coming in too shallow, or trying to get some swings in on a Trackman.