COBRA L4V - The BOMB!!!!

ROBOPTI

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='801207' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM']I actually want to try it - but haven't found a source for UST Tour shafts yet - Still looking - LOVE the MOI though[/quote]

I have searched, but haven't found any reviews on the moi. What is the characteritics of this shaft?

Also, what driver do you use for your gamer? You have so many nice clubs, I am curious what you use for your "go-to" driver when playing 18 (accuracy) and not hitting for bombs. Well, maybe your bomb drives are accurate lol.

It looks like Cobra had to design a specific shaft for this club due to the weight in the head. The stock shaft seems to have more weight in the butt end to counter the head...is this correct? If so wouldn't reshafting this driver ruin the intended design...just doesn't seem like it would be as srtaight forward as reshafting other clubs.

[quote name='expunge' post='801234' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:52 PM']So Kade...you bought it, you haven't even hit it and are selling it already? Doesn't sound much like a club ho to me. Sounds like the wife got mad :D[/quote]

She reminded me that I have 3 other drivers that I claim to love. Told me to sell the other 3 and keep the cobra or sell cobra due to xmas coming up.

SHE ALWAYS WINS

Ok boys I need some help on this. I ordered the X before i even read this post simply from the marketing and looks of it. I expect to get it next week but for the hell of it I went to Golfsmith this morning to crank on one on a Vector Pro and see some numbers. As I expected, the 9* loft isnt allowing me to get the launch angle I need. I cant break 8 or 9 degrees! Even at that though, my swing speed was consistently 103-108 with ball speed 150+ and about 230 carry, but most of all STRAIGHT. I ordered the X over the F as I didnt want any driver that had a draw added to the design. I dont believe in that. I stay away from anything with a built in draw.

My question is to the board here, since Cobra has only released this club in a 9* loft and either X or S shaft, what can I do to increase my launch angle to 12 or 13 without dramatically changing my swing.

I currently play a NIKE Sumo (07 Model), with 10.5 loft and a Fujikura Rombax 5X07 - X shaft.

The Diamana shaft in the driver was nice, I do admit. I would hate to change it out without really giving it a chance but do you think they will release this club with a 10* loft or even a 9.5?? HELP!

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='801902' date='Nov 25 2007, 03:37 PM']Ok boys I need some help on this. I ordered the X before i even read this post simply from the marketing and looks of it. I expect to get it next week but for the hell of it I went to Golfsmith this morning to crank on one on a Vector Pro and see some numbers. As I expected, the 9* loft isnt allowing me to get the launch angle I need. I cant break 8 or 9 degrees! Even at that though, my swing speed was consistently 103-108 with ball speed 150+ and about 230 carry, but most of all STRAIGHT. I ordered the X over the F as I didnt want any driver that had a draw added to the design. I dont believe in that. I stay away from anything with a built in draw.

My question is to the board here, since Cobra has only released this club in a 9* loft and either X or S shaft, what can I do to increase my launch angle to 12 or 13 without dramatically changing my swing.

I currently play a NIKE Sumo (07 Model), with 10.5 loft and a Fujikura Rombax 5X07 - X shaft.

The Diamana shaft in the driver was nice, I do admit. I would hate to change it out without really giving it a chance but do you think they will release this club with a 10* loft or even a 9.5?? HELP![/quote]

Pete,

You forgot to mention one very important number, what was your spin? Your launch is only off a hair, so your numbers don't quite add up. I suspect that spin may have been your issue. Also, it says your ordered from Golfsmith. They have the 90/90 guarantee, so either trade your X for an F in 10* or order the X with one of Cobra's custom option shafts.

Good luck.

my spin was between 2500 - 4000 mostly in the 3000 range. But I hit my NIKE in the 3000 - 4000 range and get 250 carry all day long on a 12-14 launch.

What shaft do you reccomend? Will a shaft really get me the launch?

Do you think we will see a 10* in the X ?

If it takes me all year to learn to hit this thing I will do it, I believe in it that much. When you jump on this thing flush, the smash factor is unreal. You can feel it just take off.

[quote name='ROBOPTI' post='801207' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM']I actually want to try it - but haven't found a source for UST Tour shafts yet - Still looking - LOVE the MOI though[/quote]

Rob -
Are these offerings from UST different from what you are referring to ?

[url="http://www.usttourshop.com/products_tour.htm"]http://www.usttourshop.com/products_tour.htm[/url]

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='802082' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:52 PM']my spin was between 2500 - 4000 mostly in the 3000 range. But I hit my NIKE in the 3000 - 4000 range and get 250 carry all day long on a 12-14 launch.

If it takes me all year to learn to hit this thing I will do it, I believe in it that much. When you jump on this thing flush, the smash factor is unreal. You can feel it just take off.[/quote]

I doubt you will be seeing a 10*. Cobra didn't offer it in the HS9 in the X and I doubt they will in these. Going up in loft is going to increase your spin, so you will need to be careful.

Your spin is too high, both with the Cobra and your current set up. With your swing speed your should be getting more than 250 carry. 2500 to 3000 RPMs is good, but when you get above that your loosing distance. If your launching the L4V too low, I would suggest an Accra T60. It should increase your launch angle, while cutting the spin rate. This is what your need to maximize your carry and roll out. This unfortunately is not an upgrade option through Cobra. Because the head's on the L4V's are so heavy I was told that Cobra is not offering many custom upgrade options because they can't get the swing weight to come out at something reasonable. Another option if you have a lot of spare change is an Ozik X-con 5. It will get you the launch you need and cut your spin, A LOT. Also, not an option through Cobra, but would probably make this club a real bomber for you.

[quote name='bordercollie' post='802101' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:09 PM'][quote name='ROBOPTI' post='801207' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM']I actually want to try it - but haven't found a source for UST Tour shafts yet - Still looking - LOVE the MOI though[/quote]

Rob -

[url="http://www.usttourshop.com/products_tour.htm"]http://www.usttourshop.com/products_tour.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Not to answer for ROBO, but the UST web site fails to list quite a few shafts that are available for sale. I believe he is referring to the V2 CB, which is a counter balanced version of the V2 in various weights. Essentially the V2 MOI and EMOI shafts are counter balanced, although the specs on the tour version are different from the previously mentioned two in similar weights. I assume the difference is the amount of counter balancing involved.

[quote name='zzmkdw' post='802114' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:16 PM'][quote name='PeteMTG' post='802082' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:52 PM']my spin was between 2500 - 4000 mostly in the 3000 range. But I hit my NIKE in the 3000 - 4000 range and get 250 carry all day long on a 12-14 launch.

If it takes me all year to learn to hit this thing I will do it, I believe in it that much. When you jump on this thing flush, the smash factor is unreal. You can feel it just take off.[/quote]

I doubt you will be seeing a 10*. Cobra didn't offer it in the HS9 in the X and I doubt they will in these. Going up in loft is going to increase your spin, so you will need to be careful.

[/quote]

I would not say that both Speed Pro X (D) & (S) series came in 10.5°, never rule anything out.

mcca

[quote name='zzmkdw' post='802126' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:22 PM'][quote name='bordercollie' post='802101' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:09 PM'][quote name='ROBOPTI' post='801207' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM']I actually want to try it - but haven't found a source for UST Tour shafts yet - Still looking - LOVE the MOI though[/quote]

Rob -

[/quote]

Not to answer for ROBO, but the UST web site fails to list quite a few shafts that are available for sale. I believe he is referring to the V2 CB, which is a counter balanced version of the V2 in various weights. Essentially the V2 MOI and EMOI shafts are counter balanced, although the specs on the tour version are different from the previously mentioned two in similar weights. I assume the difference is the amount of counter balancing involved.
[/quote]

Yeah - I am interested in the CB shaft and the heavier weight UST stuff - So correct on both accounts. Thanks for the input too guys :D

Pete - DON'T be afraid of that 10* F version. I have seen square ones in person. To get launch up I would consider (and I am going to do this with one of mine as well for kicks) - but go 44 inches on a 10*. The shorter the shaft - the higher launch you will get and it will ad a LITTLE spin - which isn't that bad a prob on this head. Maybe go 10* F and a Blueboard type shaft (just guessing) - this MOI really really works as well. But that would help you kill 2 birds with one stone.

On a question asked of me a few posts back - My gamers (although I am sold on the L4V) were/are - (I still NUKE them)

1. 6.5* Pro D - Whiteboard 83x at 45 inches
2. 7.5* Pro D - PM 702XX at 45

I have 10 gazillion drivers - but those have been the main weapons

Don't be afraid of the 10* F; I'm playing it and love it. I was on the fense about the X and this one presented itself first. I may buy a 9* X simply to compare launch and spin characteristcs.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='zzmkdw' post='802114' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:16 PM'][quote name='PeteMTG' post='802082' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:52 PM']my spin was between 2500 - 4000 mostly in the 3000 range. But I hit my NIKE in the 3000 - 4000 range and get 250 carry all day long on a 12-14 launch.

Your spin is too high, both with the Cobra and your current set up. With your swing speed your should be getting more than 250 carry. 2500 to 3000 RPMs is good, but when you get above that your loosing distance. If your launching the L4V too low, I would suggest an Accra T60. It should increase your launch angle, while cutting the spin rate. This is what your need to maximize your carry and roll out. This unfortunately is not an upgrade option through Cobra. Because the head's on the L4V's are so heavy I was told that Cobra is not offering many custom upgrade options because they can't get the swing weight to come out at something reasonable. Another option if you have a lot of spare change is an Ozik X-con 5. It will get you the launch you need and cut your spin, A LOT. Also, not an option through Cobra, but would probably make this club a real bomber for you.

[/quote]

I have no problem spending the $$ on the X-Con 5, I am pretty sure I can get it wholesale from a club fitter friend, but I am completely ingnorant to that shaft and have only heard they are really expensive. I just looked on their site and the torque is 4.5!! Dont you think that is a bit much or do you need that to get it in the air. I am certainly NO EXPERT on shafts at all so anything you guys can reccomend would help. I am keeping the X driver and will not go to the F, so please help me find a shaft you think can help get the launch up WITHOUT the spin :D

Ill check that Accra out now also. Thanks guys

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='802244' date='Nov 25 2007, 08:29 PM'][quote name='zzmkdw' post='802114' date='Nov 25 2007, 07:16 PM'][quote name='PeteMTG' post='802082' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:52 PM']my spin was between 2500 - 4000 mostly in the 3000 range. But I hit my NIKE in the 3000 - 4000 range and get 250 carry all day long on a 12-14 launch.

[/quote]

I have no problem spending the $$ on the X-Con 5, I am pretty sure I can get it wholesale from a club fitter friend, but I am completely ingnorant to that shaft and have only heard they are really expensive. I just looked on their site and the torque is 4.5!! Dont you think that is a bit much or do you need that to get it in the air. I am certainly NO EXPERT on shafts at all so anything you guys can reccomend would help. I am keeping the X driver and will not go to the F, so please help me find a shaft you think can help get the launch up WITHOUT the spin :D

Ill check that Accra out now also. Thanks guys
[/quote]

I am pretty sure the X-con will give you the launch you need. Don't worry about the torque rating. There is no industry standard for torque, so the numbers really can only be used as a gauge across the shaft line. Comparing from manufacturer to manufacturer is pretty much useless. The X-con's are very stable and very tight feeling. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Accra makes a great product also, Might be a little smoother feeling than the Ozik, but that's just my opinion. If you have access to a fitter, the best thing would be to have him fit you to the shaft. With your swing speed, your probably going to need to tip the shaft a little or step up to the X-con 6.

Good luck. If you end up going with either shaft, it would be interesting to hear the before and after launch monitor numbers/performance.

I already paid for the X so I am going to try and make the X work before I go to the F. If you say the Accra is smoother, than I will go with it. Which one you think? Quick question, what about Fuji Rombax 5x07? Grafalloy Epic??

Should I take half inch or inch off the X and see if that will help on the stock setup. I did notice when I choked down on the stock setup I was getting better numbers. I mean I am 6ft tall. but a robust 290lbs! :D

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='802268' date='Nov 25 2007, 08:47 PM']I already paid for the X so I am going to try and make the X work before I go to the F. If you say the Accra is smoother, than I will go with it. Which one you think? Quick question, what about Fuji Rombax 5x07? Grafalloy Epic??

Should I take half inch or inch off the X and see if that will help on the stock setup. I did notice when I choked down on the stock setup I was getting better numbers. I mean I am 6ft tall. but a robust 290lbs! :D[/quote]

Since you already own the Rombax, that would be the cheapest experiment. Give it a try, you never know. I totally forgot about the Epic. Another good choice. A little heavier than the others I mentioned, so it's going to increase your swing weight, but low spin and high launch.

For you height I would start at 45" and then butt trim if you feel like you need more control. If you have a club fitter that you trust they should be able to dial you into one of these shafts.

Since you have launch monitor numbers, PM joey3108 or ifixclubs. Both are club fitters and are familiar with the shafts your considering. Another option would be to post your question/launch monitor data in the "Clubmakers Lab" Forum on here. There are some very knowledgeable members that should be able to guide you into the right set up.

Another thought, When your X arrives, have someone at golfsmith measure the actual loft. I would bet you that it is closer to 10 than you think. If it's not you should be able to send it back to Cobra and request an X with the highest loft possible. If you like the stock shaft, this would be the cheapest possible solution. Depending on how close your order is to getting filled, Golfsmith might be able to do this for you before your actual club arrives.

OK so now im really lost, you mean even though they are 9* they are not necessarily 9*????

I never knew this. So there may be some that are actually closer to 10*?? Should I go in there with a potable loft gauge and check lofts? I thought they were all standard.

I will definitely try that, or Cobra is doing a demo day here soon.

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='802377' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:59 PM']also I am not familiar with Accra and their flex. What flex do you recommend on the T60?[/quote]

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='802381' date='Nov 25 2007, 10:03 PM']OK so now im really lost, you mean even though they are 9* they are not necessarily 9*????

I never knew this. So there may be some that are actually closer to 10*?? Should I go in there with a potable loft guage and check lofts? I thought they were all standard.

I will definitely try that, or Cobra is doing a demo day here soon.[/quote]

sorry. Not trying to confuse you. Most manufacturers only guarantee loft to +/- 1* of loft, so 9* could be 10 or it could be 8. That said, Cobra is one of the better manufacturers as far as tolerance goes, so i wouldn't expect it to be off very far. I ordered a Pro Speed S last year and specified the lowest loft possible and received an 8.3* digitally measured head with a stated loft of 8.5*. If the Cobra rep that your Golfsmith deals with is worth anything he'll be able to get you a hand picked 9 with more loft. Measure your Nike head and I'll bet the actual loft is different from what is printed on the bottom of the club.

Accra shafts are only sold/installed through boutique accounts, so you'll have to order from them. Golfsmith won't be able to get you this. Check Accra's web site to find the one closest to you. My experience is that Accra's are very stable shafts, so most people can get away with playing a little softer flex and still get the shaft to perform. With your stated swing speed, you might be able to play a stiff, although with a shaft this light I would think you would need to tip it just a bit. This is really something that needs to be done through a fitter as they will be able to visually see your swing and it's characteristics. Accra's perform best when they are properly fit, which is why you will really need to deal with a fitter on this one.

HAAHH! Get this!! I saw one in my buddys shop today they just got one in. An X also. So we took it in the back and put a protractor measuring gauage on it. IT WAS AN 11* !!!

I was amazed. I never ever knew that it could be off my 2 degrees!

So I am going to wait and see what mine is when it gets here. I cant imagine it will be 11 like that one was.

[quote name='PeteMTG' post='803182' date='Nov 26 2007, 04:38 PM']HAAHH! Get this!! I saw one in my buddys shop today they just got one in. An X also. So we took it in the back and put a protractor measuring gauage on it. IT WAS AN 11* !!!

I was amazed. I never ever knew that it could be off my 2 degrees!

So I am going to wait and see what mine is when it gets here. I cant imagine it will be 11 like that one was.[/quote]

Doesn't surprise me at all. I bought a Ping G5 last year with a stated loft of 7.5* and an actual loft of almost 10*. Never trust the number on the bottom. Couldn't figure out why I was hitting moon balls until I checked the loft.

WOW... I hit the F speed L4V 10 degee at local PGATourSuperstore today... VERY LONG and I actually like the loud sound! It comes with Diamana 57 grams shaft, looks nice...

Question: is it just me, or this driver puts lots of sidespin on the ball? I would either HOOK it or sometimes slide/fade, but it does go VERY LONG in terms of distance and roll..... about 10-15 yds more than my SuperQuad.... I like it, but just hardly hit it straight on the monitor...

wonder if anyone experiences the side spin as well (compared to other drivers)??

Thanks..