Lamkin Crossline Plus vs Tour Velvet Plus 4

Just wanted to give a little comparison between the two in case anyone was looking for a grip with a built-up lower hand. First a little background...I was a long time Crossline user and then used the Lamkin X10 for a few years. I'm a big fan of a naturally feeling rubber and not the synthetic rubber that seems to be prevalent now. So I really do not like the ACE/ 3GEN Grips that Lamkin had out for a while. They seemed to get slippery quickly and just had a weird "tacky" unnatural feeling. I've liked the way Tour Velvets felt in the past but they were horrible in terms of longevity. I did switch to the Z5 Tour Taper for a year (really liked that grip) and when it came time to switch I decided to give TV+4 a try on my 745s.

The TV+4 is a great feeling grip. Soft feeling without being mushy. Great traction and has been great in the heat and humidity. It's softer feeling than what I remember about the original TV. Great grip and reminds me a lot of how the original Crosslines and X10s felt. Really easy for me to have a very light grip.

I recently brought my 962s back from Puerto Rico and they needed new grips (ironically they had TVs that hardened after 3 years being in the apartment). Golfworks had a sale on the Lamkin Crossline Plus so I decided to try them out. As soon as I test swung a club I knew I would be disappointed. They have a feel very similar to the ACE Crosslines (wouldn't be surprised if these are just rebranded). And they have that weird "tacky" feeling that I don't like.

Size wise both grips feel very similar. But feel wise for me the TV+4 will be my grip, especially if it has any kind of longevity. But for those who liked the old ACE grips, try out the Crosslines.

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour "F Heads" 3-PW Modus Tour 105

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* Modus 115
PING BeNi JBlade 3

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm actually not using the Crossline plus anymore.  I went back to the standard Crossline.  When I mentioned that I wasn't bothered by the ball not drawing as much, I meant that.    I ran in

This is something I have been struggling with recently as well, both with the Lamkin Plus style grips even more standard Tour Velvets. I normally build up the lower hand like you do, but the butt diam

> @SUITS said:

> Thanks for the comparison. I’ve long been a fan of lamkin but the tour velvet plus 4 peaked my interest. Did you by chance compare the butt diameters? Lamkin always seems to be larger than GP in the midsize, at least to me

No I didn’t. But I’ve played two rounds with a mixture of both (TV+4 on wedges) and I didn’t notice any difference.

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour "F Heads" 3-PW Modus Tour 105

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* Modus 115
PING BeNi JBlade 3

• 2 weeks later...

> @achappy said:

> > @SUITS said:

> > Thanks for the comparison. I’ve long been a fan of lamkin but the tour velvet plus 4 peaked my interest. Did you by chance compare the butt diameters? Lamkin always seems to be larger than GP in the midsize, at least to me

The Crossline Plus (exclusive to GolfWorks) is .600 instead of the Lamkin standard .580...thinking of trying the Standard vice Midsize, nice grips.

Ping G400 w/Ping CB Alta S
Ping G410 5 Wood set to 16* w/Ping Alta R

Ping G410 5-U, Steelfiber I95R  
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 54* w/AWT 115
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58* w/KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Odyssey  330M Black 

I have not tried the Crossline Plus, but if you are looking for a more natural feel, checkout the Players Cord Plus.

I just put a set of these on when I re-shafted my irons and I'm really liking the feel.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I just put the Crossline plus on my irons, and I'm liking them so far. I went from the Lamkin UTx grips, and I really liked those grips. I just hated how the thumb on my bottom hand would wear over extended use. I'm hoping the Crossline plus grips will be more durable.

I noticed that the draw I have at times with my irons isn't nearly as strong, which I'm perfectly ok with. The larger bottom hand without having to buildup with tape is really nice, and makes it easier to regrip. I'm not a fan of missing left, so the ball just hanging to the right a bit doesn't bother me too much.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower- shaft Diamana D+ 70s

Fairway:  Cobra F9 5w turned down to 17* Diamana White 80s

Hybrids: 19* Srixon H65 Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 24* X Forged Utility w/ Modus 120s, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

• 1 year later...

Bump.  Any new or additional feedback on the Lamkin Crossline Plus grips?

Titleist TSi2 11° - Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5° - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Srixon ZX Utility 20° - UST Recoil 95s
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
Titleist SM7 50.12F - KBS C-Taper Lite 115x
Titleist SM7 54.08M (55°) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125s
Titleist SM7 60.12D - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, leftymatt said:

@jah7838 are you still using the Crossline Plus?

Curious how they have held up over time and any long-term opinions. I've been playing UTx primarily but considering a switch.

I'm actually not using the Crossline plus anymore.  I went back to the standard Crossline.  When I mentioned that I wasn't bothered by the ball not drawing as much, I meant that. 

I ran into the issue of hitting a shot that I knew was going to be right on the line I was aiming, and the ball just stayed straight right.  Durability seemed ok for the time I had them on my clubs, but I just couldn't get used to the feeling of hitting a really solid shot and the ball being right of my target line.  My hands aren't that active in the swing, and I don't like the feeling of trying to purposely turn my hands unless I have to hit a draw of some sort.  I don't know if any of that made sense.  

• Like 2

WITB

Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400

3 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I'm actually not using the Crossline plus anymore.  I went back to the standard Crossline.  When I mentioned that I wasn't bothered by the ball not drawing as much, I meant that. 

I ran into the issue of hitting a shot that I knew was going to be right on the line I was aiming, and the ball just stayed straight right.  Durability seemed ok for the time I had them on my clubs, but I just couldn't get used to the feeling of hitting a really solid shot and the ball being right of my target line.  My hands aren't that active in the swing, and I don't like the feeling of trying to purposely turn my hands unless I have to hit a draw of some sort.  I don't know if any of that made sense.  

Thanks for the response and yes that makes sense.

It sounds like you've figured out that with your swing/release, a reduced-taper grip is not the way to go. Do you build up the lower hand on your standard crosslines?

2 hours ago, leftymatt said:

Thanks for the response and yes that makes sense.

It sounds like you've figured out that with your swing/release, a reduced-taper grip is not the way to go. Do you build up the lower hand on your standard crosslines?

That’s pretty much what I’ve figured out, lol. 

I do buildup the lower hand on my Crosslines, and the UTx in the past that I’ve used. I usually do +2 wraps on the bottom hand for both with my irons. When it comes to graphite, it’s hit or miss, depending on the shaft being gripped. Sometimes it +3, and sometimes it’s no extra wraps. A lot of trial and error. 

WITB

2 hours ago, jah7838 said:

I do buildup the lower hand on my Crosslines, and the UTx in the past that I’ve used. I usually do +2 wraps on the bottom hand for both with my irons. When it comes to graphite, it’s hit or miss, depending on the shaft being gripped. Sometimes it +3, and sometimes it’s no extra wraps. A lot of trial and error. 

I hear you on the trial and error.  I'm in the same spot usually going with +2 or 3 on the lower hand.

Might still give one of these crossline plus a try on a wedge or something.

2 hours ago, jah7838 said:

This is something I have been struggling with recently as well, both with the Lamkin Plus style grips even more standard Tour Velvets. I normally build up the lower hand like you do, but the butt diameters and taper rates of modern graphite shafts are all over the map. For more mid soft shafts that tend to have a faster taper rate, the Lamkin Plus grips tend to feel great straight on or with 1 extra wrap. But I recently got ahold of the Tensei Pro White 90TX in my sig and I am just having the worst time getting grips to feel right on it. It has both a huge butt diameter and a much slower taper, so everything feels weirdly bulky on it and just wrong. Still experimenting there and I am going to try stretching down a Crossline Plus Wrap next. 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

11 hours ago, Valtiel said:

This is something I have been struggling with recently as well, both with the Lamkin Plus style grips even more standard Tour Velvets. I normally build up the lower hand like you do, but the butt diameters and taper rates of modern graphite shafts are all over the map. For more mid soft shafts that tend to have a faster taper rate, the Lamkin Plus grips tend to feel great straight on or with 1 extra wrap. But I recently got ahold of the Tensei Pro White 90TX in my sig and I am just having the worst time getting grips to feel right on it. It has both a huge butt diameter and a much slower taper, so everything feels weirdly bulky on it and just wrong. Still experimenting there and I am going to try stretching down a Crossline Plus Wrap next. 

I've noticed with my Proforce V2 hybrid shaft, that I don't need to build up the bottom hand at all because of the lack of taper.  With certain Aldila grips, like the Tour Green and Tour Blue, that I have to put 1 or 2 more wraps extra on the bottom hand on top of my normal +2.  The Diamana White and the Limited driver shafts that have don't need any extra wraps for the bottom hand either.  It's kind of annoying sometimes because of new grips that have to be taken off again if it doesn't feel right.  It's really annoying when the grip tears while pulling and I just put the grip on the club within that week.   

WITB