I am beat down tired today. We left last Friday for the State Junior at around 1:30 in the afternoon. 2 Hour trip to practice for 2 hours on Friday. Played a course that was in the middle of no where and stayed 45 minutes away. Get up Saturday Morning at 6, Sunday at 5 and Monday at 5. Double tee times on each day. Sunday and Monday they did Top half off hole 12 and Bottom Half off of hole 1. So if you were middle of the field you got stuck with earliest tee time if off hole 12. Off hole 1 and they got the last tee time. Throw on top of all that little kids screaming in the pool outside our room until 10 and I got no sleep. Running on fumes today. I couldn't imagine the travel schedule of a golfer trying to make it or a minor league baseball player.

The boy is going to Orlando with his grandfather on Sunday to play in an AJGA. My dad is in store for a treat.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking up for the kid.. T-9: Akshay Bhatia, 272/-16, $166,650.00

This could be happen to any golfer at any level, even seasoned pros. It might be even more pronounced at higher levels because every player has a chance to win most weeks.  If anything, in this case,

> @4rheel said: > First time hearing of this kid. Is he that good or just a left-handed Ty Tryon?   Ty was silly good. Contended at the Honda as a 16 year old and earned his tour card at 17.

Posted Images

The debate of going to college vs turning pro after high school is very interesting. I strongly believe in the College route, not just for the sake of having a better education and a back up to potentially failing as a pro golfer, but because I believe colleges produce better professional golfers than the mini tours do.

Of the top 25 on the OGWR:

15 went to College/University in the USA (16 if you count Adam Scott who spent 1 semester at UNLV).60% of the golfers in the top 25 on the OGWR went to a US College/University (not counting Adam Scott).Of the 10 who did not attend a college in the US only 1 is American, Tony Finau, the others are: 1 from Northern Ireland, 3 from England, 2 from Australia, 1 from South Korea, 1 from Japan and 1 from South Africa. 13 of the top 25 golfers in the world are American.92.3% of American golfers in top 25 attended college/university in the US.The current No. 1 ranked player in the world (Rory McIlroy) did not attend college/university in the US but, the golfers ranked No.2 - No.8 in the world did attend a college/university in the US.80% of the golfers in the top 10 in the world attended a college/university in the US.Based on the above, I think it's undisputable that US colleges/universities produce better professional golfers.

The benefits of playing college golf in my opinion are as follows:

As a teenager/young adult, playing on a college team is probably more fun than playing as an individual on one of the toursFor the college golfer there is little or no financial pressure once tuition is payed for and no financial pressure at all if on a full ride. As a young pro there is financial pressure, the amount of pressure is dependent on the wealth of your family and/or, on whether sponsorships are secured or not, and if any are secured, then the size of the sponsorship/s.For the college golfer there are no costs after tuition is paid for and no costs at all if on a full ride. As a pro there are ongoing costs, Q School, tournament entry fees, accommodation, travel, food, caddy, etc. In college there is obviously pressure to perform to make the playing team and then pressure to perform in tournaments, it's not really life or death stuff. As a young pro you are under pressure to qualify and to perform to make the cut/a pay cheque/a living/to keep sponsorships. The pressure of playing for your livelihood is a much harder pressure to handle as a young adult. In college there is easy and free access to practice facilities/practice rounds for the most part of the year, as a traveling pro there is no easy and free access to practice facilities and practice rounds, this is only available at tournaments that you are qualified for and registered to play in.In college there is easy and free access to trackman/foresight/SAM Puttlab, etc. Young pros have no access or limited access to technology and, if available, then available at a cost.In college there is easy and free access to gyms, yoga, Pilates, etc. As a traveling pro golfer there is less easy access to these and there are guaranteed costs associated with use of gym's, yoga/Pilates classes and instructorsIn college there is easy and free access to coaches, sports psychologists, nutritionists, etc. Young pro's have less easy and no free access to coaches, sports psychologists, nutritionists, etc.There are obviously many other differences, pros and cons, I can't list them all.

I think if you don't have the financial resources to pursue a pro career immediately after school then college golf is the way to go, and you'll have every opportunity to mature and to succeed as a professional golfer. If money is not an issue, then diving into professional golf straight after school is an option worth considering, especially if you are physically and mentally mature and prepared for life as a professional golfer.

With specific regards to Akshay, I think that even though he was the number 1 junior golfer and the number 5 amateur golfer in the world, he wasn't mentally ready for the step up to the PGA Tour. I think Akshay would certainly have benefitted from some time spent in college/university. I don't know the circumstances, but it's one of two things, he either did not want to go to college or, if he wasn't a good scholar then maybe, quite simply, he didn't have the grades to get into one. If he chose to turn pro, then he, his family and his team need to take that on the chin, if however, he didn't have the choice to go to college, then I guess what's happening now is easier to live with.

I'm surprised though that with his golfing talent that he has yet to make a cut on the PGA Tour, Akshay would be well advised to try and look at these sponsors invites as "just another golf tournament", but he, most of you and I know that, that is easier said than done. Who knows what's next for Akshay, only time will tell, I think though, that it will be a while before we see another prodigy take Akshay's route/path to the pro ranks.

Regarding Finau, I do wonder if college hoops was the backup plan in case something went horribly wrong in breaking into professional tournament golf.

While Finau likely was not an NBA talent, there would have been someone willing to give him a ride as long as his body remained sound.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 11:29 AM, bdecena said:

If anything, in this case, the T9 is the outlier. 

Exactly and by a long shot. He has played in 9 PGA Tour events since turning professional. 8 M/C and the 9th place finish. Doesn't mean he won't be successful in the future. Look at the career start of Justin Rose when he turned pro at age 18. He missed his first 21 cuts as a professional. He's done pretty well for himself. Wish him luck. 

Edited by grm24
7 hours ago, grm24 said:

Exactly and by a long shot. He has played in 9 PGA Tour events since turning professional. 8 M/C and the 9th place finish. Doesn't mean he won't be successful in the future. Look at the career start of Justin Rose when he turned pro at age 18. He missed his first 21 cuts as a professional. He's done pretty well for himself. Wish him luck. 

People always throw in JR's pro start but before turning pro he was 4th in The Open as the Low Am.  He had proven at that point that he had game.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.