Music on Course

> @wickwoss said:

> I can take or leave it, and typically let the situation dictate whether I listen. I also NEVER allow it to be heard from more than a few feet away from my cart.

>

> However, the majority of the “against” crowd in this thread has done a great job of sounding like a bunch of wet blankets. If someone is being obnoxiously loud, ask them to turn it down. People enjoy golf in different ways, and for different reasons. As long as they are keeping the game alive, I say go for it.

Did exactly that-asked them to turn it down at a private club- pretty much got a fu in reply. "We'll be gone in a minute".

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It's funny. When we complain here about music on the golf course, first we get "You can't even hear it". Well of course we can hear it, if we didn't there would be nothing to complain about. Then we get "But just tell people to turn it down". As if that matters.

Anyway enough of a jerk to broadcast their music to everyone within sight is VERY likely to be enough of a jerk to refuse to turn it down.

So once again, if you want to play it where I can't hear it I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the jerks I *can* hear.

I have mentioned before a buddy of mine. You cannot hear his music until you are right next to or in his cart. No one ever has an issue with that. But.... unfortunately that is not the norm it seems. Or maybe it is the norm and we just don’t hear them?

Nah...

> @Shilgy said:

> I have mentioned before a buddy of mine. You cannot hear his music until you are right next to or in his cart. No one ever has an issue with that. But.... unfortunately that is not the norm it seems. Or maybe it is the norm and we just don’t hear them?

> Nah...

Hey for all I know every single member of my club except the guys I play with listens to music every round. But they all keep it turned down really low except for the one or two carts per round that are broadcasting it for 100 yards in every direction. I only have a problem with those one or two people.

FWIW, still speaking of my home course, I'd say probably 60-70% of the young men under the age of 30 listen to music with earphones/earbuds while they practice and play. The ones playing music through speakers are all in the 30-50 age bracket. It's a generational thing

> @Schulzmc said:

> > @elwhippy said:

> > Just not done in the UK. Awful etiquette.

>

> Played a dark round on the Old Course as a twosome last summer. On the second tee my partner asks the caddies about music. They enthusiastically encouraged it, and we had tunes cranking from then to the 17th tee when we turned them off as we came into town. One of my favorite memories.

>

> @"North Butte" said:

> I hope if/when I play the Old Course one of these days I come away with a lot of great memories. I'm 100% positive that the "tunes" I'm listening to while playing won't be any part of them. My goodness, I have truly outlived my era.

>

> I also hope nobody else was on the Old Course during your round, you would have been providing them with a "memory" of the round that was not what they paid for!

I play 99% of my rounds with my wife, and we listen to music in probably 99% of our rounds. The redneck county muni we play most of our golf at is full of older fellers listening to all sorts of music, and a few younger crowd as well. It is a BYOB enjoy yourself kind of course. Nothing stuffy about it, just people out having a good time enjoying the outdoors playing golf. These are some of my favorite rounds.

That being said, I as much as I enjoy the background music on the course (I more enjoy my wife's company, but she enjoys the music, so I am ok with it), I must agree that a memory I will NEVER take away from St Andrews, should I ever get the chance to play, is what tunes could have been playing. Literally ANY other course in the world, and chances are I will have music playing at some point as long as it isnt against course policy. St Andrews??? Not a chance. I want to take in every bit of sights and sounds of the Old Course.

> @Shilgy said:

> Did exactly that-asked them to turn it down at a private club- pretty much got a fu in reply. "We'll be gone in a minute".

So, honest question. Were they "gone in a minute"? Did you come across them again or were you subjected to their music again? Was that quick encounter enough to ruin your round?

How do you feel about music coming from a home on a course? Would you ask them to turn it down? Would it ruin your round? Or would you realize someone other than you is also enjoying their day, and you'll "be gone in a minute" and not have to hear it anymore? Why is it any different if you come across a group on the course that you hear when they are within talking distance to you, but not otherwise?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or start an argument, I'm genuinely curious.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @Shilgy said:

>

> > Did exactly that-asked them to turn it down at a private club- pretty much got a fu in reply. "We'll be gone in a minute".

> So, honest question. Were they "gone in a minute"? Did you come across them again or were you subjected to their music again? Was that quick encounter enough to ruin your round?

>

> How do you feel about music coming from a home on a course? Would you ask them to turn it down? Would it ruin your round? Or would you realize someone other than you is also enjoying their day, and you'll "be gone in a minute" and not have to hear it anymore? Why is it any different if you come across a group on the course that you hear when they are within talking distance to you, but not otherwise?

>

> I'm not trying to be sarcastic or start an argument, I'm genuinely curious.

>

When we encounter a pool party blaring music from a home near the course, we just endure it for the 4-5 holes until we're out of hearing range. It's rare but it does happen a few times a year.

But those are not fellow members of our golf club who have a responsibility to be considerate of the other golfers on the course. And that house isn't going to happen to be in the group right ahead of us where we'll hear the music for every minute of every hole of the entire round.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > > @Shilgy said:

> >

> > > Did exactly that-asked them to turn it down at a private club- pretty much got a fu in reply. "We'll be gone in a minute".

> > So, honest question. Were they "gone in a minute"? Did you come across them again or were you subjected to their music again? Was that quick encounter enough to ruin your round?

> >

> > How do you feel about music coming from a home on a course? Would you ask them to turn it down? Would it ruin your round? Or would you realize someone other than you is also enjoying their day, and you'll "be gone in a minute" and not have to hear it anymore? Why is it any different if you come across a group on the course that you hear when they are within talking distance to you, but not otherwise?

> >

> > I'm not trying to be sarcastic or start an argument, I'm genuinely curious.

> >

>

> When we encounter a pool party blaring music from a home near the course, we just endure it for the 4-5 holes until we're out of hearing range. It's rare but it does happen a few times a year.

>

> But those are not fellow members of our golf club who have a responsibility to be considerate of the other golfers on the course. And that house isn't going to happen to be in the group right ahead of us where we'll hear the music for every minute of every hole of the entire round.

Fair point.

I guess people where ever you are are FAR less considerate than they are here. I hear music all the time on the golf course, but it is always when someone is on a green or teebox adjacent to my green or tee box. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've heard music from a cart more than 20-30 yards away from me, so I have never heard someone else's music every minute of every round. If that truly exists, those people need to be thrown off of the golf course. I honestly cannot imagine how loud their music would have to be to be audible for another group for the entirety of the round. If that actually happens, that is truly absurd.

Even a house party here, I've never heard the music for more than the hole where the house is, and maybe the next hole at most. Most neighborhood courses around here do not have any/many adjacent holes.

Then again, I live near Houston, where there is a lot of ambient noise from freeways, plants, etc. So perhaps the constant ambient noise drowns out other peoples music. Maybe "southern hospitality" is really a thing and people are more considerate down here. Or maybe my hearing isn't as good as I think it is, lol. Any of the above are possible.

Our course is an old school “core” routing where all the houses are peripheral to the course and (except for a couple spots) set well back from the course. It is not a housing development course, and all the houses are on adjacent plots of land not part of the course property. And we are a couple miles from the nearest highway.

It is wonderfully peaceful and quiet most days. About the only thing that can really screw it up is noisy golfers or noisy course maintenance equipment.

> @"North Butte" said:

> Our course is an old school “core” routing where all the houses are peripheral to the course and (except for a couple spots) set well back from the course. It is not a housing development course, and all the houses are on adjacent plots of land not part of the course property. And we are a couple miles from the nearest highway.

>

> It is wonderfully peaceful and quiet most days. About the only thing that can really screw it up is noisy golfers or noisy course maintenance equipment.

Gotcha. The course I play most of my golf at has only 1 house, but those folks are never outside, lol. But, it is, as the crow flies, probably 0.25 mile south of I-10 which is a major thoroughfare for the southern US. That 1/4 miles is pretty dense woods for most of it. When the wind is blowing out of the north (predominant in the winter), it sounds like the freeway is just on the other side of the trees. When it is blowing out of the south (predominant in the summer), you really dont hear the freeway. Its weird when the wind switches directions mid round when a front blows in. It'll go from pretty quiet to sounding like you're standing on the feeder road next to the highway. It is a country course though, and there are no plants nearby so it does get pretty quiet at times. And every hole on the course has a hole that is adjacent to it in some way (nothing is spread out, and you can see every hole on the course from any hole on the course). I still never hear music from anyone unless they are within chipping distance.

Here's two screenshots to give you an idea. Almost every tee box is next to the previous green. That is the only time I have ever heard anyone's music, even though most of the fairways run parallel and hurricane Ike took out some 400 trees in 08. I cannot fathom anyone listening to music loud enough on a course to be heard from much, if any, further away than that.

The other just shows how close it is too the freeway. That patch of woods is thick, but there is a right of way that comes out almost in the middle of the course.

znxz1rt33kdn.jpg

i328q6uz9cza.jpg

Wow, someone who sees no issue with having folks be subjected to others music "just on the tee and adjacent green" . Why is that better than what I described? Really it is worse because every single green/tee Ethan are near each other this group you describe subjects other players to their music-repeatedly.

As far as did we see them again? Yep. And same volume.

See Rule 1-2. Let me know if it should apply.

> @Shilgy said:

> Wow, someone who sees no issue with having folks be subjected to others music "just on the tee and adjacent green" . Why is that better than what I described? Really it is worse because every single green/tee Ethan are near each other this group you describe subjects other players to their music-repeatedly.

> As far as did we see them again? Yep. And same volume.

> See Rule 1-2. Let me know if it should apply.

I see no issue with it because it doesn't bother me. I'm not going to let someone else's desire to enjoy their day listening to music ruin my day. At this point in my life, I'm just happy I can still swing a golf club and am happy I have a wife who loves golf as much as I do and wants to be on the course with me.

Is it inconsiderate of the offending group? Of course it is. Is it enough to get under my skin? absolutely not. I don't let other people dictate my happiness or enjoyment. I'm sorry you do.

When my wife decided she wanted to get a speaker we could bring with us, I told her she can control the music selection, but I control the volume. If we are anywhere in the vicinity of another group, I will turn it down to the point it is almost inaudible in the cart. You can maybe hear something, but you wouldn't be able to make out the words. When we are no longer near someone, it goes back to whatever volume we were listening to it at. A lot of folks around here are the same way. Some are not, and I'm not going to let those people ruin my round of golf.

> @Shilgy said:

> Wow, someone who sees no issue with having folks be subjected to others music "just on the tee and adjacent green" . Why is that better than what I described? Really it is worse because every single green/tee Ethan are near each other this group you describe subjects other players to their music-repeatedly.

> As far as did we see them again? Yep. And same volume.

> See Rule 1-2. Let me know if it should apply.

I am in the camp of **no issue with having folks be subjected to others music "just on the tee and adjacent green"**. Being subjected to music is not distracting. If an adjacent home was playing music it would not ruin your shots where you could hear the music would it? You may find it annoying but it is not distracting. It is very easy to not be distracted with noise that is consistently going rather than noise that is suddenly interjected. See Waste Management Open for the PGA Tour players dealing with a consistent noise.

I just don't see it as inconsiderate if played at a low level even if on occassion others may hear it. Even if I absolutely loaothe their music choice. It's just not a big deal IMO. YMMV.

As far as 1-2 about 90% (??) of golfers may not even be playing according to the USGA rules so it is more of a course policy issue than a USGA rules issue unless you are playing in a field only of players playing under USGA rules.

> @Badds said:

> I like to crank Led Zeppelin live at Madison Square Garden 1973 on the course.

>

> If you have a problem with hearing that--the problem is you--not me.

What do you say to the golfer who cranks out gospel music or Halloween horror sounds on the course and then says to you "If you have a problem with hearing that--the problem is you--not me."

> @wickwoss said:

> However, the majority of the “against” crowd in this thread has done a great job of sounding like a bunch of wet blankets.

And the "for" crowd has done a great job of sounding like a bunch of spoiled brats who think the world begins and ends with their choices.

>If someone is being obnoxiously loud, ask them to turn it down. People enjoy golf in different ways, and for different reasons. **As long as they are keeping the game alive, I say go for it.**

If playing music on the course is "keeping the game alive", I say kill the game.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @wickwoss said:

>

> > However, the majority of the “against” crowd in this thread has done a great job of sounding like a bunch of wet blankets.

>

> And the "for" crowd has done a great job of sounding like a bunch of spoiled brats who think the world begins and ends with their choices.

>

> >If someone is being obnoxiously loud, ask them to turn it down. People enjoy golf in different ways, and for different reasons. **As long as they are keeping the game alive, I say go for it.**

>

> If playing music on the course is "keeping the game alive", I say kill the game.

Kind of like saying I'm all for Disc Golf or Foot Golf as long as it keeps the game alive. What are we talking about keeping alive, exactly?

> @trudge said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Former musician talking -- I hate it.

>

> Wow! Finally! I play guitar also, and pretty much every day, and hate it on the course! Can't for the life of me figure out why, but on the course it's just not right at all!

Yeah, I think listening results in thinking about playing what your hearing. Can't really block that out.

Adoption of ear buds would solve everything about this.

The world changes and evolves it’s not good or bad just reality. Did you not think technology would effect the game of golf? Or life for that matter.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

For me part of the appeal of golf is being in nature, hearing birdsong, etc. I prefer no music. The couple guys I play with who play music are courteous about it, ask the group if we mind, and keep the volume low. I go along in the spirit of live and let live.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

I actually find that it make the rounds more peaceful with the right type of music. Anything heavy in any genre of music is obviously a no no, but something soothing and relaxing is the ticket. If I hang on my back porch with my family or friends, we listed to music at a level to still be able to have a conversation and concentrate on whatever we are doing. I do the same thing on the golf course and it has never impacted my ability to focus and or spend time with someone i am with.

I always ask before playing if it is going to bother someone in the group and will not play it if that is the case. 90% of the members at our club play music and some even have radios in their carts.