2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Tour Championship Format

lchang

> @Body_Visions said:

> Been thinking about this.....couldn’t the same thing have been accomplished by having two separate leaderboards, instead of all the formulas?

The PGA Tour do not want two trophies nor do they want two champions. Last year Tiger Woods victory dwarfed Justin Rose FedEx Championship. No more of that nonsense!

> @TrueWRX said:

> My issue with it is it does not reward the best golfer during the season. Playoff tournaments give out way to many points. No way should JT be ranked above Koepka going into the final tournament

> Koepka has earned almost 9.7 mil this year with 3 wins(1 major) and 8 top 10s(2 2nds in majors)

> JT has earned a little over 5 Million and has 6 top 10s and 1 win

>

don't forget koepka won the wyndham rewards $2M and AON risk/reward $1M as well.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

It's a joke of a format. Name another sport where you start out with point in the finale ahead of your competitors. It essentially makes winning the tournament impossible for anyone starting around -3 or worse. So in essence it's just another way to ensure top 5 or above are the only ones with a chance to win. Besides that quadruple points for a playoff win? Are majors worth quadruple points? more than a playoff win? Garbage. I'd rather watch womens golf!

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

As we've said before, the problem with the playoffs is that it's not really a playoff. I think it'd be better if the playoffs started with a smaller field and then got winnowed down each week. Even the TOUR Championship could do that on a day-to-day basis so that on the last day you have 4 or so guys gunning it out for $20 million.

The problem for the PGA TOUR is that they want this system but fear having the big names knocked out early so they try to tweak it so those names stay alive as long as possible.

I think this format is going to surprise us this year. Golf is such a funny game were the people with the lead advantage are sitting back and the other players are firing away to catch up. It seemed to work well today, we shall see how it plays out though. I'm intrigued and I laughed when I first heard about it too, but I remembered very quickly golfs mental side. Saw some great shots coming from Paul, Rory, Hideki, and Xander. I also think this course is set up perfect for this format. If it was a cookie cutter course this would never work. This course is a true test for sure.

> @OldBridge said:

> As we've said before, the problem with the playoffs is that it's not really a playoff. I think it'd be better if the playoffs started with a smaller field and then got winnowed down each week. Even the TOUR Championship could do that on a day-to-day basis so that on the last day you have 4 or so guys gunning it out for $20 million.

>

> The problem for the PGA TOUR is that they want this system but fear having the big names knocked out early so they try to tweak it so those names stay alive as long as possible.

It’s not a playoffs it’s playing all year to get into a handicapped tournament

> @asloper6001 said:

> I think this format is going to surprise us this year. Golf is such a funny game were the people with the lead advantage are sitting back and the other players are firing away to catch up. It seemed to work well today, we shall see how it plays out though. I'm intrigued and I laughed when I first heard about it too, but I remembered very quickly golfs mental side. Saw some great shots coming from Paul, Rory, Hideki, and Xander today.

I agree. It's working out fine. By Sunday, nobody will remember the staggered start.

> @BiggErn said:

> > @OldBridge said:

> > As we've said before, the problem with the playoffs is that it's not really a playoff. I think it'd be better if the playoffs started with a smaller field and then got winnowed down each week. Even the TOUR Championship could do that on a day-to-day basis so that on the last day you have 4 or so guys gunning it out for $20 million.

> >

> > The problem for the PGA TOUR is that they want this system but fear having the big names knocked out early so they try to tweak it so those names stay alive as long as possible.

>

> It’s not a playoffs it’s playing all year to get into a handicapped tournament

So if they allocate points or strokes, what's the difference?

> @tekman said:

> It's a joke of a format. Name another sport where you start out with point in the finale ahead of your competitors. It essentially makes winning the tournament impossible for anyone starting around -3 or worse. So in essence it's just another way to ensure top 5 or above are the only ones with a chance to win. Besides that quadruple points for a playoff win? Are majors worth quadruple points? more than a playoff win? Garbage. I'd rather watch womens golf!

we shall revisit your post on Sunday

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

What bothers me is that everyone complains about how low these guys shoot but yet they’re willing to introduce a format where 3 guys are -10 after the first day. That has to be some kind of record, 30 under after the first day in the top 3.

They should have started JT at +10 instead and go from there down the list. Make even par the winning score after four rounds.

In fact they should do that for every tournament. Start everyone at 10 or 15 over par. Winning scores would be a lot higher without having to lengthen courses, rolling the ball back, or making everyone hit persimmon.

If I may be so bold as to sound extremely Californian I think the format is hecka stupid.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @Llortamaisey said:

> What bothers me is that everyone complains about how low these guys shoot but yet they’re willing to introduce a format where 3 guys are -10 after the first day. That has to be some kind of record, 30 under after the first day in the top 3.

>

> They should have started JT at +10 instead and go from there down the list. Make even par the winning score after four rounds.

>

> In fact they should do that for every tournament. Start everyone at 10 or 15 over par. Winning scores would be a lot higher without having to lengthen courses, rolling the ball back, or making everyone hit persimmon.

Or just make ever hole a Par 2 - it will have the same effect...

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @tekman said:

> It's a joke of a format. Name another sport where you start out with point in the finale ahead of your competitors. It essentially makes winning the tournament impossible for anyone starting around -3 or worse. So in essence it's just another way to ensure top 5 or above are the only ones with a chance to win. Besides that quadruple points for a playoff win? Are majors worth quadruple points? more than a playoff win? Garbage. I'd rather watch womens golf!

It's only day one, and this post is not aging well.

As I said earlier, and Rory too, let's wait till Sunday night to pass judgement.

> @manku said:

> > @tekman said:

> > It's a joke of a format. Name another sport where you start out with point in the finale ahead of your competitors. It essentially makes winning the tournament impossible for anyone starting around -3 or worse. So in essence it's just another way to ensure top 5 or above are the only ones with a chance to win. Besides that quadruple points for a playoff win? Are majors worth quadruple points? more than a playoff win? Garbage. I'd rather watch womens golf!

>

> It's only day one, and this post is not aging well.

> As I said earlier, and Rory too, let's wait till Sunday night to pass judgement.

>

>

LOL yeah. Actually a benefit not many saw was the first day is now actually interesting. Guys have a goal to catch up to. So we have a bunch of underdogs, and JT. Now JT is back in the pack. Looking forward to see what happens.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @tekman said:

Modern Pentathlon, your scores from swimming, riding, and fencing are computed into a head start in the final footrace.

Biathlon Pursuit events; the interval gaps from a previous race are used to assign head starts.

Nordic Combined is kinda predicated on the concept.

Now as far as points on the board in team sports, I can't think of any examples no, but golf is a little different. I think if they renamed the event 'The fedex cup finals' it might go over better.

My format idea:

week 1: #50-100 in a wild card round, or a last chance type qualifier. #50-75 stay.

week 2: 72 holes stroke play, top 32 stay. ties settled by playoff to determine 32.

week 3: match play. I know everyone says its horrible for identifying a champion but the NFL playoffs and March Madness are the same thing, as are the Am championships, and they seem to do ok.

The idea is just lunacy. To me the FedEx Cup belongs to the best and most consistent player for the season - as it should be.

Golf isn't a team sport, and it's not directly based upon what the people you're going up against are doing - unlike other sports, which makes golf unique. Because of this, you can't have the final tournament determine who wins the whole cup. It's not like a grand final of A vs B player in match-play - it's not fair to have winner takes all in this sport.

The reason play-offs work in other sports is because the final is the final, with the best of two parties being the overall winner. You can't have play-offs in a sport that is based entirely around individuals competing alongside, not directly against, other players.

going to be fun watching JT win the finals by 1 shot over xander even as everyone knows xander actually beat JT by 5 shots over the 4 days.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

> @rt_charger said:

> The idea is just lunacy. To me the FedEx Cup belongs to the best and most consistent player for the season - as it should be.

>

> Golf isn't a team sport, and it's not directly based upon what the people you're going up against are doing - unlike other sports, which makes golf unique. Because of this, you can't have the final tournament determine who wins the whole cup. It's not like a grand final of A vs B player in match-play - it's not fair to have winner takes all in this sport.

>

> The reason play-offs work in other sports is because the final is the final, with the best of two parties being the overall winner. You can't have play-offs in a sport that is based entirely around individuals competing alongside, not directly against, other players.

Why? It is not a Player of the Year Award. It is an award for the person who wins the three-tournament playoff.

People complain too much. Having three tournaments connected to each other is a good thing. It gets all the best players to play in August in the same tournaments. How do you tie three tournaments together otherwise if not through a playoff-type system? Working out how to give some favorable position to those who did better in qualifying is very difficult. Match play is a non-starter. It doesn't work for television and sponsors. Then how else do you do it? They had the points system but people complained it was too complex and annoying and didn't like the Tour Championship winner being different than the Fedex Cup winner. So they are trying this now. At first I thought it sounded silly, but let's see how it plays out.

• Like 1

> @gvogel said:

> Wouldn't it be nice if they were playing the US Open this weekend as the culminating event of the season?

Or the tour championship becomes the 5th major and the field, like the masters, is the top 70.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

> @tekman said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > Wouldn't it be nice if they were playing the US Open this weekend as the culminating event of the season?

>

> Or the tour championship becomes the 5th major and the field, like the masters, is the top 70.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were playing the Player's Championship this weekend as the culminating event of the season?

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

I like it, as it gives a clearcut winner based on this final event, like the Super Bowl or World Series.

In the NBA, NHL, NFL, teams basically play a quarter amount of their regular season games in the playoffs, so 4x the weighting for points is probably where the Tour got the idea from. This is called the Tour Championship... you are the winner of the PGA Tour for the season. They used to reset the points going into this event before, and not much was said. Other sports do things like home court / ice / field advantage, and the NFL even gives out a bye for the first round if you're a top 2 seed.

Tom Brady can have 3 mediocre games in October, but if he has 3 great ones in January / February, he's most likely the Super Bowl Champion, similar to the FedEx Cup Playoffs... you have to play your best at the right time.

Some have said the Majors should get a lot more points... well, the PGA Tour doesn't run any of the Majors, so they probably didn't want to weigh their non-events too much.

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> going to be fun watching JT win the finals by 1 shot over xander even as everyone knows xander actually beat JT by 5 shots over the 4 days.

I don't know that! So stop saying everyone knows. The playoffs is setup so all golfer has an opportunity to position themselves for the end of the season period.

If said golfer play poorly they suffer, If they play well they prosper. Everyone has the same opportunity to quadruple their point at the beginning of the playoffs. The system penalizes players that skip or withdraw from a playoff event (Tiger Woods). All players know the rule at the beginning of the season, all players play the same course. If your scenario happens it's because Xander Shaufflele should have played better, period!

> @mcputter said:

> > @tekman said:

> > > @gvogel said:

> > > Wouldn't it be nice if they were playing the US Open this weekend as the culminating event of the season?

> >

> > Or the tour championship becomes the 5th major and the field, like the masters, is the top 70.

>

> Wouldn't it be nice if they were playing the Player's Championship this weekend as the culminating event of the season?

No, the playoffs for me is much more exciting than the Players tournament....