Jump to content

Recommended Posts

> @"MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL" said:

> @driveandputtmachine - We would recommend OT Tour Iron! Available in 100S/X, 110S/X, and 120X with a .355 Taper Tip. https://www.mca-golf.com/products/ot%E2%84%A2-tour-irons-taper-tip

>

> We are also getting ready to launch our MMT Taper Iron. Available in 105S/TX and 125TX with a .355 Taper Tip. http://www.mca-golf.com/products/mmt%E2%84%A2-taper-irons

>

> DM us if you would like help finding an Authorized Dealer!

>

> -Team MCA

 

PM inbound!

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Project X Catalyst 100...might be the best shaft I’ve ever used. Great ball flight, very stable and consistent. Best balanced graphite shaft I have used and I switched for the same reason you are look

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1779519/projectx-catalyst-100-graphite-iron-shaft-review-pretty-impressive-shaft/p1

> @KMeloney said: > No mention of SteelFibers yet? I've got the SF 110s in my irons (right through SW, too). Can't say enough good things about them, especially where joint pain reduction/elimi

> @"MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL" said:

> @driveandputtmachine - We would recommend OT Tour Iron! Available in 100S/X, 110S/X, and 120X with a .355 Taper Tip. https://www.mca-golf.com/products/ot%E2%84%A2-tour-irons-taper-tip

>

> We are also getting ready to launch our MMT Taper Iron. Available in 105S/TX and 125TX with a .355 Taper Tip. http://www.mca-golf.com/products/mmt%E2%84%A2-taper-irons

>

> DM us if you would like help finding an Authorized Dealer!

>

> -Team MCA

MCA, thanks for the info, but I am assuming the MMT will not be half the price of the OT and therefore in line with the other manufacturers. Gonna be a hard pass from me, all the others I have looked at run in the 50 to 60 dollar range, I cannot fathom that the performance would be twice as good as the others, which it would need to be for me to justify paying twice the price.

 

  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black
  • Hybrid - ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Others - SUB70 699 Pro Utility 4 on UST Recoil 110 and Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110 - Testing
  • Irons - Sub 70 639CB and 699 pro testing
  • Irons - Ping i210 testing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> > @ObiwanForAll said:

> > I'll agree on the Catalyst 100 6.5 for best graphite shaft I've ever used.

> > I played X100 then went down to Recoil 110 Prototype F5. Then dropped weight again to Catalyst 100 6.5. I can't explain it but the Recoil 110 felt lighter than the Catalyst 100. Might be the stiffness or balance of the weight. Great stability, smooth feel, perfect.

>

> Where can I find one to order to try in a 7 iron? Anyone have an idea?

 

I have bought mine as a set and individual on eBay.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4” CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5” WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5 CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> So for the previous 4 years to the last two years I played Recoil 110 graphite shafts. Dues to some swing changes and testing the KBS Tour V were the best shafts for my game, well in my two most important categories, distance variance and dispersion. However the harshness of the KBS has led an old friend (wrist pain) to pop back up and limited my enjoyment. A bunch of Blue Emu and 3 liquid advil before every round is no way to go through playing golf......

>

> So this past weekend was our club championship, I played OK on Saturday, but my wrist was killing me late Saturday and was even worse Sunday morning. So I put the Srixon's with the recoil shafts back in the bag for Sunday. I played very well, even though the distance variance and dispersion were not as good. However since my wrist didn't hurt I finished quite a bit better than the day before. I wake up this morning, and yes there is a tad bit of pain, but it is sooooo much better.

>

> So in short......is there anywhere that references the bend profiles and such so that I could find a graphite iron shaft that plays close to the KBS Tour V? I know the Recoils are lighter than the Tour V KBS, and maybe I should try the 125's but in my original testing the 110's were so much better for me. I want to purchase some 7 iron shafts and test, then some 4 iron shafts, then some PW shafts as I narrow it down each time.

 

I went from KBS Tour V 110 to S/F i110's and found a zero difference in the ball flight. I have nerve damage in my right arm and I NEED the dampening. I have been nothing but elated with the i110's. I have a demo 6i with the i125-S but that is just too heavy for me now.

GBB 9* Fubuki Alpha 70x/RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Link to post
Share on other sites

For my first attempt it will be the Steelfiber 110's I believe. Gonna grab a 7 iron shaft and start there. Then look for Catalyst or maybe some others

  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 4 Wood - Titleist TS2 turned down 1 on UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Callaway Epic Flash turned down 1 on UST Mamiya Black
  • Hybrid - ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Others - SUB70 699 Pro Utility 4 on UST Recoil 110 and Ping G410 4 iron on Recoil 110 - Testing
  • Irons - Sub 70 639CB and 699 pro testing
  • Irons - Ping i210 testing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 56 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 62 on UST Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it is an older shaft but I am curious if any one has experience with the aldila RIP 115 iron shaft?

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I know it is an older shaft but I am curious if any one has experience with the aldila RIP 115 iron shaft?

 

I have a set that I'm intending to install in something, but there's a bit of analysis-paralysis going on. Or, too many clubhead sets as options, LOL. So, I've got no usage experience with them.

 

Why post, then? :) I've accumulated some Wishon Shaft Profile data, that I'll paste below, that shows them along with DGS300 and DGS400 tapered, as well as various weights of SteelFibers. This profile data shows them being a flex or more stiffer than same flex rating Steelfiber or DG, except at the butt end of the shaft.

 

Hoping you may find this helpful :)

 

n2s1gj6txatz.png

 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I know it is an older shaft but I am curious if any one has experience with the aldila RIP 115 iron shaft?

>

> I have a set that I'm intending to install in something, but there's a bit of analysis-paralysis going on. Or, too many clubhead sets as options, LOL. So, I've got no usage experience with them.

>

> Why post, then? :) I've accumulated some Wishon Shaft Profile data, that I'll paste below, that shows them along with DGS300 and DGS400 tapered, as well as various weights of SteelFibers. This profile data shows them being a flex or more stiffer than same flex rating Steelfiber or DG, except at the butt end of the shaft.

>

> Hoping you may find this helpful :)

>

> n2s1gj6txatz.png

>

 

Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped?? Also, can you explain what the numbers in each column left to right mean?

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had a set of UST Recoil Proto 125 built and they'll be going up against a set of Mitsubishi Chemical OT tours 120x. Should be fun. For reference, in the past I've been fit for KBS $-Taper and DG SL x100.

FW: Taylormade R9 Ti 5w + Diamana R80s.
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP #4 + White Tie HX4.
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52/58 + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I know it is an older shaft but I am curious if any one has experience with the aldila RIP 115 iron shaft?

> >

> > I have a set that I'm intending to install in something, but there's a bit of analysis-paralysis going on. Or, too many clubhead sets as options, LOL. So, I've got no usage experience with them.

> >

> > Why post, then? :) I've accumulated some Wishon Shaft Profile data, that I'll paste below, that shows them along with DGS300 and DGS400 tapered, as well as various weights of SteelFibers. This profile data shows them being a flex or more stiffer than same flex rating Steelfiber or DG, except at the butt end of the shaft.

> >

> > Hoping you may find this helpful :)

> >

> > n2s1gj6txatz.png

> >

>

> Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped?? Also, can you explain what the numbers in each column left to right mean?

 

Such as I remember, Boo Weekley played these in stiff. I think you might be ok, assuming you can find a set.

 

The numbers represent frequency readings taken with the beam length listed at the top of that column. They use a heavier weight than what's been customarily used in checking frequency of shafts. The idea is to get more than just the butt frequency, allowing us to see more of the overall bend profile.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

 

I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

>

> I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

>

>

 

Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

 

I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> >

> > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> >

> >

>

> Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

>

> I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

 

Can't hurt to try, right? :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently I completed switching from PX 6.0 to Steelfiber i95cw "Stiff" shafts in SW-2 iron, and quite happy with the result. I have a set of KBS Tour V's, among other sets too.

 

Edit update; Steelfiber i95 was nice, but eventually pulled them and replaced with i110cw 2i-6i stiff, and i125cw stiff in 7i-SW. More better...

  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> > >

> > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> >

> > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

>

> Can't hurt to try, right? :)

 

Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> > >

> > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> >

> > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

>

> Can't hurt to try, right? :)

 

You may be ok. I play the RIP Tour 115's in stiff, which should be too stiff for me, bit they still feel great. That said, I'd love to find an R set.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with NV 85
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with RIP Tour 115 
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 TVD 52M with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 58D-12 (bent to 57-11) with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM2 60M-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @DaveGoodrich said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> > > >

> > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > >

> > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> >

> > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

>

> You may be ok. I play the RIP Tour 115's in stiff, which should be too stiff for me, bit they still feel great. That said, I'd love to find an R set.

 

Do you know your swing speed?

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> > > >

> > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > >

> > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> >

> > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

>

> Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

I played RIP 115x for about a year. The short iron shafts are stout...I didn’t find the longer clubs 3-6 to be as stiff by comparison. I’ve typically used X100 or 6.5 PX rifle as my go to in steel for years. It’s a very good graphite shaft. Next to the PX Catalyst100 I’m using now it was the best graphite iron shaft I’ve used.

 

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4” CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5” WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5 CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > >

> > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> >

> > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

>

> Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

 

Don't have the data for the rip in x-stiff, but here is the stiffness profile of the stiff as compared to some other common x-stiff shafts. On interesting thing to note is that the very tip reading of 1000 was actually the max that Wishon's set-up is able to read - so the actual value could be higher.

 

What it's really showing is that the stiff rip (not x-stiff) is really stiffer than just about any other x-stiff shaft - except for the very butt end (most of which is usually cut away during the installation).

 

k61vlcg5ev0v.png

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > > >

> > > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> > >

> > > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

> >

> > Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

>

> Don't have the data for the rip in x-stiff, but here is the stiffness profile of the stiff as compared to some other common x-stiff shafts. On interesting thing to note is that the very tip reading of 1000 was actually the max that Wishon's set-up is able to read - so the actual value could be higher.

>

> What it's really showing is that the stiff rip (not x-stiff) is really stiffer than just about any other x-stiff shaft - except for the very butt end (most of which is usually cut away during the installation).

>

> k61vlcg5ev0v.png

>

>

>

>

 

I've wondered if part of the reason for that low reading at 36" is due to not having enough shaft to fit in the clamp for a full 5". Such as I remember, the RIP Tour didn't have a shaft at 41".

 

And, just found a raw 2i for sale, it's 39.5". That might explain it.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > > >

> > > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> > >

> > > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

> >

> > Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

>

> Don't have the data for the rip in x-stiff, but here is the stiffness profile of the stiff as compared to some other common x-stiff shafts. On interesting thing to note is that the very tip reading of 1000 was actually the max that Wishon's set-up is able to read - so the actual value could be higher.

>

> What it's really showing is that the stiff rip (not x-stiff) is really stiffer than just about any other x-stiff shaft - except for the very butt end (most of which is usually cut away during the installation).

>

> k61vlcg5ev0v.png

>

>

>

>

 

Well we will see how it goes. That is super stout. I have never tried anything that stiff. I have tried PX 6.5s and did not really think they were too stiff. I wonder how much the x is stiffer than than the s, and where it is stiffer. Is it just the tip that is extremely stiff? we will see. This is my first step into graphite irons shafts. Maybe I jumped into water that is too deep but whatever...

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I wonder how much the x is stiffer than than the s, and where it is stiffer.

 

Hard to say but based on the difference between R and S, I suspect the biggest change will be in the butt side stiffness which can be a big contributor to feel, particularly in transition when first loading it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I wonder how much the x is stiffer than than the s, and where it is stiffer.

>

> Hard to say but based on the difference between R and S, I suspect the biggest change will be in the butt side stiffness which can be a big contributor to feel, particularly in transition when first loading it.

>

>

 

Well, time to hit the weight room.. haha.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > > > >

> > > > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> > > >

> > > > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

> > >

> > > Thats what I figured. I talked to someone who seems knowledgeable about the shaft and he said it is in between X100 and the X7 so. I am guessing that it is just really tip stiff. I swing an almost 80 gram driver shaft though...

> >

> > Don't have the data for the rip in x-stiff, but here is the stiffness profile of the stiff as compared to some other common x-stiff shafts. On interesting thing to note is that the very tip reading of 1000 was actually the max that Wishon's set-up is able to read - so the actual value could be higher.

> >

> > What it's really showing is that the stiff rip (not x-stiff) is really stiffer than just about any other x-stiff shaft - except for the very butt end (most of which is usually cut away during the installation).

> >

> > k61vlcg5ev0v.png

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Well we will see how it goes. That is super stout. I have never tried anything that stiff. I have tried PX 6.5s and did not really think they were too stiff. I wonder how much the x is stiffer than than the s, and where it is stiffer. Is it just the tip that is extremely stiff? we will see. This is my first step into graphite irons shafts. Maybe I jumped into water that is too deep but whatever...

 

Looking at this some more, and thinking that if it is softer in the butt but extremely tip stiff, that could be a good fit for me.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @DaveGoodrich said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > > > Interesting, I have been looking at a set of these in X flex. As I have always been an x100 or 6.5 guy. So maybe I should do stiff? Or X soft stepped??

> > > > >

> > > > > I wish you luck finding a set, but if you do, definitely drop down a full flex with those. Soft stepping will not be enough. I play stiff in almost everything else like the recoils and steel fibers, but the reg flex RIP was plenty stiff enough for me. And almost everyone who tested them out came to the same conclusion.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well I ordered a set of x flex. We will see how it goes.... :)

> > > >

> > > > I swing pretty hard so we may be ok.

> > >

> > > Can't hurt to try, right? :)

> >

> > You may be ok. I play the RIP Tour 115's in stiff, which should be too stiff for me, bit they still feel great. That said, I'd love to find an R set.

>

> Do you know your swing speed?

 

95 mph driver. Don't know with irons. Yes these are very tip-stiff. I don't think I have seen a graphite shaft with thicker walls at the tip. The hole in the end is only about 1/16". Nevertheless, they don't feel harsh to me at all.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with NV 85
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with RIP Tour 115 
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 TVD 52M with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 58D-12 (bent to 57-11) with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM2 60M-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been swinging these for a little bit now, and I can say they do not feel too stiff to me. They produce a pretty nice flat ball flight and I am getting the same if not minimally more distance. I do struggle a little to elevate long irons, but not too bad. I think that it is hard to hit a 3 iron off the turf no matter what.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

Reviving this thread. Just saw TXG do a comparison of Texas Rebar iron shafts vs X7. How do they compare I wonder to the X-Stiff version of these? Like @QuigleyDU, I have a set of these and I still use them. I really like them a lot but always interested in something different if it suits me. Hopefully someone has some specs on these, hard to find anything on the x-stiff rip tours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...