2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single digit golfers, how fundamentally sound is your swing? + a bunch of follow up questions

Zappster

Just curious for those who are good and great players, if it has a good deal to do with your swing and how much you think about that vs actually playing golf. I’ve been improving a lot recently and I believe am going to hit single digits soon with very little short game work but I’m wondering if I’ll really ever stop constantly working on it or I can get to a point where I can just maintain it once or twice a week and worry more about other stuff.

Are you really solid mechanically?

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?

How many lessons have you had?

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?

Not sure if this should be here or the instructions forum but I’m not really looking for instruction, just wondering how others operate

Interesting questions.

**Are you really solid mechanically?** No, but from hip-to-hip, I'm pretty decent.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** See above

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** Yes

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** I would have learned some things about the driver swing much, much earlier. Too steep of an attack robbed me of distance.

**How many lessons have you had?** Somewhere between 5 and 10 in my life.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** 2 years?

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** I understand it quite well now, but only in the last five years has my understanding grown rapidly.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** Very rarely. I usually just envision something new and can pretty quickly make adjustments, when necessary. I've always been a pretty good mimic. Still, though, I'm no Tour Pro, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm 52 and currently +1.2. Low was +3.4 back in my 30's. Have a decent competitive amateur playing resume for someone who didn't take up the game until he was 20 and has always been a working man, but that's about it.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Interesting questions.

> **Are you really solid mechanically?** No, but from hip-to-hip, I'm pretty decent.

> **Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** See above

> **Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** Yes

> **What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** I would have learned some things about the driver swing much, much earlier. Too steep of an attack robbed me of distance.

> **How many lessons have you had?** Somewhere between 5 and 10 in my life.

> **How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** 2 years?

> **How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** I understand it quite well now, but only in the last five years has my understanding grown rapidly.

> **How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** Very rarely. I usually just envision something new and can pretty quickly make adjustments, when necessary. I've always been a pretty good mimic. Still, though, I'm no Tour Pro, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm 52 and currently +1.2. Low was +3.4 back in my 30's. Have a decent competitive amateur playing resume for someone who didn't take up the game until he was 20 and has always been a working man, but that's about it.

That’s awesome how good you got despite starting pretty late. I started at about the same age and am almost 24 now. Took a year off in that time though. While I’m getting better, I’m always concerned I’m not approaching things in the optimal manner and will have regrets in the future both in the golf swing and unrelated things. I seem to be really mechanics focused with golf even though I wasn’t with other sports I was good at like football and basketball but that’s partly the nature of the sport and the age I started I guess.

Basically, I hope to be able to get quite good at golf although I don’t see myself playing too much competitive golf. I’ve already ingrained a lot of bad habits that I’m started to break out of but I always get annoyed with the hindsight of “if I had just known this, things would’ve gone so much better sooner”. I guess the only way around that is finding a good instructor early and to really practice with a purpose (purpose in this case given by the instructor until one is good enough to self diagnose)?

Deleted post

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Currently at a 4

Not really

See above

Again, see above

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?

Nope

Never been satisfied. Been satisfied with the current performance

Enough to be dangerous

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?

About an an hour and a half a week during the season. Practice has been about the same through the years.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @zachcuden said:

More often than not, but body woes can change it in a heartbeat.

I have a couple of flaws, but it is more of an inconsistency due to lack of practice and playing time.

No.

I would switch to LH since I think I was a natural Lefty but had to learn RH due to that's all I had.

Somewhere between 25 and 100 with most in the last 3 years.

First incarnation - 1 year. 2nd New Swing - 2 years. 3rd Newest Swing - 2 years but still a work in progress. Make a lot of good swings and contact, but every once in a while, it's WTF was that?

Very well. I still make mistakes, but if I stop and think about it I can figure why it happened because of the good instruction I've gotten from my pro.

I work on mechanics every time I hit balls. It's now quality, not quantity now. Rarely hit more than 30 balls in a session a couple of times a week.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

* I'm solid mechanically for me and my body but not necessarily in conformance with everyone's rules.

* I strive to understand my swing and optimize what I have. I tend to focus on target, tempo and a freedom from tension more than mechanics.

* I would like to have had better instruction at a formative age. I'm still fighting off tendencies that were inappropriately ingrained 50 years ago by know-nothing teachers.

* I wish I would have learned at a much younger age what it means to 'ground' the swing with the lower body.

* Twenty-two different teachers and zillions of lessons over 50+ years.

* I arrived at my personal swing theory about 12 years ago and have been refining my understanding ever since.

* I'm a total student of the golf swing.

* My experience is that you can't force your body to do things "right". Good, sound movements emerge from proper setup, a focus on the target, and a fundamental understanding of how the golf swing works. Like a race car driver, knowing mechanics isn't so useful when you're playing, but that knowledge can be very useful when something breaks.

****Are you really solid mechanically? ****

my mechanics from takeaway tend to get inside and under the plane, and my first move at the top is what most consider OTT; however my hands drop back under plane and through impact i'm pretty textbook.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?**

despite my flaws, it is very consistent - i'm working on fixing them slowly but surely.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?**

no, b/c of how i 'feel' my swing now allows me to make subtle changes in the round to help me. if i started fresh, i'm not sure the 'knowledge' bank would be there.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?**

i would work on my backswing and proper sequencing (currently what i'm working on)

**How many lessons have you had?**

from PGA professionals - 2; the rest is from my grandfather or self-taught

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?**

i'm never really satisfied -- i can be content for stretches but, there's always something to work on or fine tune.

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?**

I've studied the swing, fundamental positions, impact studies, etc -- i would say i'm grad school competent - but not masters/doctorate level.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?**

i work on it weekly with drills

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

**Are you really solid mechanically?** I'm fairly solid. I have a tendency to suck it a little inside on the way back. I get a little overrun and cuppy with my left wrist and it gets across the line. I also give up my lag a little early and get steep, but with quite a lot of loft. As a result I don't hit it as far as I would like to. But I'm good at bringing the club back square and on path, so I tend to hit it where I want to. My game is about hitting greens and I'm pretty good at that.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** See above.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** No I don't think so. I wouldn't want to start from nothing. If the question is would I like it to be easier to make mechanical changes, then yes obviously.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** I'd start younger. And I'd probably focus on hitting it harder more. That's about it though.

**How many lessons have you had?** More than I could count. I've had lessons from 8 different instructors. 2 of those were one/two day affairs at clinics. All of the other changes were basically forced on me in one way or another.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** I felt like I had a decent swing pretty quickly. I started playing at 14 and I felt I was on the right track basically straight away. It took me until I was about 24 to get down to scratch, but three years to reach single figures (UK system, which takes a while to catch up to improving players)

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** A little bit, but there's a whole lot I don't understand. But I don't need to. That's why I get lessons. Someone like Dan Carraher knows the golf swing. I would say he knows how every movement you make interacts with all the others. I know what works for my swing, but I couldn't tell you why.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** Fairly often. I have a few flaws as noted above that I'm trying to get rid of and my golf has improved quite a bit the last couple of years as a result.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Solid Enough. shaft stays on plane for the most part.

Received solid instruction to eliminate the big flaws then grooved new move

Yes & No - Yes so I could have been competitive at a younger age. No - because I

have enjoyed the journey

I would have sought out a reputable coach early on

Officially - less than five. The last two within the last 5 years and most important

When I was able to start the ball on my intended line and then move it both ways

and different trajectories at will...

I understand the methodologies and fully understand my own swing and am very

good at detecting flaws in most swings

The only mechanics I work on is in practice when I set up my practice station so

that my alignment is spot on. My biggest flaw is getting out of sequence due to a

quick transition.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Started at 29, took 2 overhauls and 3 years to get where I am. I have an alignment issue with driver. Irons are pure solid and crisp. Swing is excellent bc I've worked so hard on it. Shooting great rounds around par. A few penalties from driver is usually what gets me. And the 40 yard pitch.. I csnt seem to get that up and down very often.

**Are you really solid mechanically?**

I’m okay. I’m 34 and I’ve played for 10 years during which I’ve continually tried to improve my swing on my own. I know I can still take it a lot more seriously but I bet a lot of people would be quite happy to have my swing.

I don’t have any “big” flaws. Whatever I have is pretty well grooved. When I watch myself on video what feel like big changes rarely look big. So I must be pretty consistent.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?**

No, I worked the ball a lot using a weak grip back when I started so I developed a really good pair of hands. I think that’s a huge advantage, especially in wedge play. Plus, I can pretty effortlessly shape shots while most of my friends seem to struggle in that area. So I have touch but I need to sharpen my fundamentals. That's probably the wrong way to start but fine, whatever. I think as long as you know what to do it's better than starting over.

**What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?**

I would play less by feel and video myself early as I tried to establish fundamentals. It’s easy to overlook big flaws when you’re just going by feel. Either get a camera or get an instructor to establish some idea of how the club ought to be moving.

A few informal ones from an older friend who had been a scratch or better player in his day.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?**

I’ve felt like I had it at various points. I would say that over the last couple years things have really come together as I’ve not only played a ton but also made an honest attempt to put each thing in order.

I’m pretty clueless when it comes to the jargon that is used on sites like this. I understand the swing in a basic way that makes sense to me as a player.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?**

I purposefully try to avoid working on mechanics unless I feel like it’s the thing to do. It’s easy to immediately go there. I’m mature enough to know that mechanics needs to be solid but they don’t need to be perfect. Playing great golf is a lot about knowing what you can do and finding the correct rhythm.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Great questions. I'm about a scratch, but on the decline. Have been as low as +2 in the last 5 years. Handicap has varied based on level of interest and amount of play.

**Are you really solid mechanically?**

I would say yes based on what it looks like on video and the resulting ball flight.

Flaws creep in but I've been playing since I was young and always had an athletic motion as I was trying to copy tour pros growing up developing my swing, and had access to video to compare. I wanted a good looking swing and a strong ball flight.

No. My coordination and ability to adopt and implement athletic movements quickly has been my best attribute in the variety of sports I've played. I hit the ball pretty hard for my size and relative strength as I've never done any sort or weight training. I've never had a problem getting stuck in a pattern due to not being able to overcome muscle memory.

I would go back to high school and swing the club like I do now. I was a little too position focused back then and I would focus more on making an athletic motion than trying to hit positions. This would change the feel of the swing more than the what it actually looked like.

A lot. Regularly through high school.

Senior year of high school I started working with a new swing coach and my ball striking finally matched up with my expectations and short game. My swing is much better now than in high school but my expectations are also higher. I feel like my swing is good enough to play the kind of golf I want to.

On a theoretical and technical level, I don't think I understand it very well at all. But I have a complete understanding of the narrow range of golf swing mechanics that my swing exists in. I also have a very good understanding of the cause and effect relationships from face/path and resulting ball flight type diagnostics.

I had pretty much the same pattern from high school until 5 years ago. I changed things up to gain some distance because I felt that my game inside 100 yards was much better than my long game and that changes were required to get to the next level. Handicap was 2-3 before the change and got as low as +2 since then.

But I only work on mechanics if I feel that my swing and ball striking is not capable of supporting the kind of golf I want to play. Otherwise it's just maintenance at the range and fixing the minor flaws that creep in. Getting the swing into a groove and then working on shaping shots, distance control, etc.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

I have a good grip and a good setup. Good alignment, good tempo. Never seen my swing, so I don't know how sound mechanically it is. At 69, my game is dependent on how well my body cooperates on a given day. Even though I work out, there are days when nothing feels right. I took lessons in college, 50 years ago. I had to rebuild my swing after cervical fusion, given the physical parameters, I would not try another rebuild. I don't worry about mechanics, I am conscious of feel.

I don't feel like doing a point by point.

I'm a 1.5 right now. My golf swing is sort of a combination of what works combined with instruction when I hit stopping points that I can't get through.

I tend to work on "things" on the range. . .hitting to targets, trying different shots (e.g. I've developed a very reliable bunt-cut that comes in handy on tight holes), hitting bombs, making good contact, working on distance control.

When I'm frustrated, I'll see a pro and have some technical things to work on. I saw a guy last October and we really worked on my early extension, so that's a pretty technical swing thing and I'd do drills to work on that. But that was in service of improving contact and power, not in service of having a better swing. the "better swing" came along for the ride.

I understand the golf swing better than I used to, but I don't really care about the golf swing. . .not like people here do. I don't pay attention to how other guys swing like some people do. If someone asks me a question, my "eye" is better than it used to be but it's not great.

Working on mechanics is not a big part of my practice. It was moreso when I was closer to a 9. There's a wide range in ability between 0 and 9. "single digits" is a big group.

None of this has to do with how much work I put in on short game and putting.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @zachcuden said:

> Just curious for those who are good and great players, if it has a good deal to do with your swing and how much you think about that vs actually playing golf. I’ve been improving a lot recently and I believe am going to hit single digits soon with very little short game work but I’m wondering if I’ll really ever stop constantly working on it or I can get to a point where I can just maintain it once or twice a week and worry more about other stuff.

>

> Are you really solid mechanically?

> Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?

> Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?

> What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?

> How many lessons have you had?

> How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?

> How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?

> How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?

>

> Not sure if this should be here or the instructions forum but I’m not really looking for instruction, just wondering how others operate

> @zachcuden said:

> . I’ve been improving a lot recently and I believe am going to hit single digits soon with very little short game work but I’m wondering if I’ll really ever stop constantly working on it or I can get to a point where I can just maintain it once or twice a week and worry more about other stuff.

I’m just going to respond to this which seems to be the core question. I’m 67, played since I was a boy but was a long-time mid-capper with deeply ingrained poor fundamentals- suck it inside, come OTT, early extend. Now I am a 7. Took 3-5 years.

I think your question is more about temperament/attitude. I like to practice and do drills. Improving my mechanics is fun. But that’s just me. I need to return to the same drills regularly because those old habits were well-grooved and always creep back in.

Some guys seem to just be able to play and sustain a high level for them. That’s not me. So I guess my answer to your question is a return question: what’s your guess?

PS: the leap from where you are (on the verge) to playing - that is the biggest leap of them all. So so so close but where are the scores, the consistency thru the all facets of the game? I really don’t know exactly what made it click but all of a sudden it did. I went from a consistent 84ish to consistent 78ish in a abrupt fashion.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @juststeve said:

> To paraphrase the great teacher John Jacobs the purpose of the golf swing is to return the club to the ball squarely and with adequate speed. It makes little difference how that is accomplished. Since I think he was right I'm a bit confused by the notion of a sound swing. Please explain.

>

> Steve

I agree. I think the whole point is to get a good result. But the scores we aim for, the number associated with par, and all these things are just made up constructs. So I would say in this case, a "sound swing" would be a construct operationally defined as "a swing that is mechanically efficient and close to the checkpoints of contemporary swing instruction and knowledge that produces consistent and desirable results". Of course all of that is really subjective. And I definitely would say it doesn't matter at all how you swing if you're scoring or hitting it well and consistent. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter but I certainly have a fascination with form and mechanics so that's probably how I would define a "sound swing". Some people care more about mechanics and some people don't which is totally fine. With basketball for example I was a pretty good player but mechanically, my jumpshot was just okay. But there are great shooters with mechanics that aren't "sound" and there are players like Ray Allen and Klay Thompson with very sound mechanics. I just happen to enjoy mechanics in the golf swing in particular, not for any important reason but just as a personal thing. With bodybuilding, there are tons of programs to follow to get muscular but all that matters is the result. To some. Some people like the process and the intricacies. But to sum up, I totally agree that there is little difference in how the result of the ball flight is achieved overall, it's just something I enjoy thinking about and working on.

> I’m just going to respond to this which seems to be the core question. I’m 67, played since I was a boy but was a long-time mid-capper with deeply ingrained poor fundamentals- suck it inside, come OTT, early extend. Now I am a 7. Took 3-5 years.

>

> I think your question is more about temperament/attitude. I like to practice and do drills. Improving my mechanics is fun. But that’s just me. I need to return to the same drills regularly because those old habits were well-grooved and always creep back in.

>

> Some guys seem to just be able to play and sustain a high level for them. That’s not me. So I guess my answer to your question is a return question: what’s your guess?

>

> PS: the leap from where you are (on the verge) to playing - that is the biggest leap of them all. So so so close but where are the scores, the consistency thru the all facets of the game? I really don’t know exactly what made it click but all of a sudden it did. I went from a consistent 84ish to consistent 78ish in a abrupt fashion.

>

I think that I'm similar in that I like the process just as much as the result and the playing of golf, if not more. I would guess that with myself, the leap will come not so much when I have a full understanding of the golf swing, but when I can simply understand what NOT to do. If I can eliminate the big flaws that result in compensations, I feel like it is just a matter of sharpening it at that point. That is of course ignoring other parts of the game like short game, course management, etc. But I feel more inclined to work on swing mechanics until I am satisfied and can go from grinding to more refining and maintaining and will then probably focus more on other things like short game or just fitness (golf related or not). And I'm not simply working on my swing for "a better swing", but to get better more consistent results. Yet I enjoy the process of working on it perhaps more than actually putting a ball in a hole.

Are you really solid mechanically? **I would say yes, although it doesn't look great especially at the top of the backswing. But I have a good feel for impact and how to get there.**

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws? **There is definitely some element of this although I am always working to minimize said flaws.**

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now? **Definitely not, I don't get to play that often and can still go out and shoot around par or better most times.**

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time? **I think learning more about impact and how it translates to ball flight would have been very helpful.**

How many lessons have you had? **I honestly have no idea, maybe 100 or so? Much more frequent when I was younger, I have only had 3 in the last 3 years.**

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing? **Still not satisfied if I'm being honest. I know I am a good player but I also know my swing is far from what I would want in an ideal world.**

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”? **Better now than at any point in the past but I still fight some of the same issues so it's definitely not a complete understanding.**

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved? **The feels are much simpler at this point.**

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

**Are you really solid mechanically?** Depends on who you ask. I play too 2 or 3.

**Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws?** It's grooved to the point I don't think about mechanics much.

**Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now?** No.

**What would you have changed about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time?** Nothing. Took up golf at 40, and self-taught using three books.

**How many lessons have you had?** One set after about 8 months of learning the game to ensure fundamentals.

**How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing?** Never thought about my swing in that vein, only target, and conditions.

**How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”?** Not sure I do or care. I see the ball and target and hit the ball at the target. IMO, too many amateurs overthink mechanics and end up a mental quagmire.

**How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?** When my ball striking is off I pull out my old blades for 18 and whamo, its back.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Really interesting questions, I'd offer for the scratch or plus handicaps in this area are all amazingly consistent, you'll rarely if ever see them hit a foul ball, despite a lot of different mechanics. They know where it's going both directional (L+R) and distance (long+short) on every single club. If you can get your really good, really bad, and average shots to be close, now you're onto something. If you're hitting a massive snap hook or a topped shot often then yes there's something that needs attention.

Got down to a 0 last year and have stayed there. Here are my answers.

Are you really solid mechanically? I only focus on a couple swing mechanics and I try to perfect those every time.

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws? I have big flaws but have very good hands to square the club face at impact.

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now? No, I because changing my swing over the years has helped me figure out what works and what doesn't.

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time? More straight and rigid left arm, stronger grip, and much better tempo (left gravity start the downswing)

How many lessons have you had? ZERO

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing? I didn't figure out how to become scratch until about 31 years old :)

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”? Understand it enough that I can hit a fade or draw anytime I want. All about understanding how to control the club face IMO.

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved? I've focused less on mechanics and more on swing thoughts (swing left, holding off club face, starting hips before down swing, keeping right shoulder high through contact, spine angle through the down swing.) I don't worry about shoulder turn, how far back my swing goes, what my right elbow does, how much hip rotation I have, etc.

**Current Handicap: +1.2 (Don't have that many rounds logged this year and had a very good week where I went 69,68,70, so those rounds are driving it down)

**I'd like to think so, my issue is sequencing.**

**I wouldn't say I have big flaws besides too quick of hips**

**Yes 100% easy to build a swing from nothing.**

**I don't think I would change my swing, but, I'd learn how to putt better and not be a mental idiot.**

**I'd like 15-20**

**Never Satisfied.**

**Could be too much, that's why I'm a mental idiot.**

**I'm 27 and single so often, so 3x a week**

Are you really solid mechanically? - No, flawed from start to finish

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws? - I constantly work to make small improvements in my full swing. With my putting I don't really need to change much. Just put in the time and from time to time get back to basics.

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now? - Probably

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time? - When I started I had a bad right hip and therefore started with most of my weight always on my front side.

How many lessons have you had? -10 ish

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing? - Still waiting

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”? - 75%

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved? - Almost always my practice and play involves some sort of mechanics work. I think its gotten more frequent as I learn more about the golf swing.

Not sure if this should be here or the instructions forum but I’m not really looking for instruction, just wondering how others operate

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.12 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

Are you really solid mechanically? _Yes - 4 handicap that travels well; a couple of times a round my hips can get a little out of sync but my miss is almost always in play; however once you get under 5 - one bad shot will basically put you back to your Index for a round; I feel improvement beyond here (without miraculously gaining 15mph) is mostly mental_and short game_

Or have you just really grooved what you got despite it having big flaws? _No big flaws; if I had to change anything by hands would be a little quieter_

Would you erase your muscle memory and start fresh knowing what you know now? _Nope be playing for 32 years since I was 6_

What would you have change about how you approached your swing if you could go back in time? _Wish I had worked on swinging faster when I was younger_

How many lessons have you had? _My swing is natural and not taught per se; however I participated in many junior leagues/coaching/group lessons_

How long did it take for you to be satisfied/feel like you had a “good” swing? _Always have had a good swing (or so I have been told)_

How much do you think you fully understand “the golf swing”? _Fully; if I ever get out of whack I can video my swing and fully dial it back in within a few minutes_

How often do you work on mechanics and has it gotten less frequent as you’ve improved?_Full Swing - Everyone’s swing drifts from time to time (even the pros) and a short range session can get things dialed back in so probably once a month; Short Game Mechanics - all the time_

I’m kind of surprised the 20 handicapper that “would be a single digit if I could only putt” hasn’t posted yet.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @zachcuden said:

> > I’m just going to respond to this which seems to be the core question. I’m 67, played since I was a boy but was a long-time mid-capper with deeply ingrained poor fundamentals- suck it inside, come OTT, early extend. Now I am a 7. Took 3-5 years.

> >

> > I think your question is more about temperament/attitude. I like to practice and do drills. Improving my mechanics is fun. But that’s just me. I need to return to the same drills regularly because those old habits were well-grooved and always creep back in.

> >

> > Some guys seem to just be able to play and sustain a high level for them. That’s not me. So I guess my answer to your question is a return question: what’s your guess?

> >

> > PS: the leap from where you are (on the verge) to playing - that is the biggest leap of them all. So so so close but where are the scores, the consistency thru the all facets of the game? I really don’t know exactly what made it click but all of a sudden it did. I went from a consistent 84ish to consistent 78ish in a abrupt fashion.

> >

>

> I think that I'm similar in that I like the process just as much as the result and the playing of golf, if not more. I would guess that with myself, the leap will come not so much when I have a full understanding of the golf swing, but when I can simply understand what NOT to do. If I can eliminate the big flaws that result in compensations, I feel like it is just a matter of sharpening it at that point. That is of course ignoring other parts of the game like short game, course management, etc. But I feel more inclined to work on swing mechanics until I am satisfied and can go from grinding to more refining and maintaining and will then probably focus more on other things like short game or just fitness (golf related or not). And I'm not simply working on my swing for "a better swing", but to get better more consistent results. Yet I enjoy the process of working on it perhaps more than actually putting a ball in a hole.

The one other thing I’d add is slowly in all areas - full swing, short game, putting - I got a decent idea of what I wanted to do. So I just worked on a clear set of things over and over. Not chasing a new idea every other day is a big deal. For me, for a long time (1+ yr) I felt (and still feel) like I was refining and refining pretty much the same core basics.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I’m 39 playing off a .08 cap at the moment , started this game at age 35 in 2014 ... had been around the game working on a course etc as a kid. But never really played outside the company scramble etc and I used a rental set then . So I’m relatively new.

Am I solid mechanically ?

Yes. I am quite solid mechanically. For me. There is no right and wrong in this game. I couldn’t tell you P1 from P12. But I can tell you how to hit any shot and how to control the ball. Ball control is my strength. I’m pin high more often than anybody I know. Move it both ways , high or low. My swing is quite simple. It’s upright ,neutral interlock grip , down the line coming back with a big turn and finishing down the line high to the target. I am mostly self taught , never had any formal lessons , but I do have several prominent mentors who’ve taken me in.

Would uou erase your muscle memory and start over if you could.

Hell no ! Not a chance. I built this swing , and I enjoy it. I’ve played with mountains of teaching and mini tour pros. Not one time have I gotten the “ hey let me give you a tip” that they like to give. The quieter a teacher is while you blow the ball by him the better you know you’re hitting it. They all love to talk and insert their opinion.

What would you change in the approach to your swing if you could.

Honestly nothing. I first hit a slice. Then I wanted to hit a draw. So I taught myself to hit a hook. Hours and hours of big hooking pitching wedges. Then I tapered path and face back toward 0 to get the actual draw and fade I wanted. Now. I can self correct in an instant. I know. Not i think. I know what I’m doing. If it goes off the rails I can fix it mid round within 2-3 shots. Period. I’ve done it soo many times. I truly own my swing.

How long did it take you to feel like you had a good swing.

I’d say after hitting balls every day for a year , I felt good enough to go to the course by myself. I never played on course till after I had practiced for a year. I truly enjoy hitting balls. And have room to do so at home. Then probably another year before I got my backswing shortened from john Daly like to stopping short of parallel on a stock shot. I did that by just hitting shots while stopping at the top. Which felt like 3/4. That kept me connected coming down and gave me more confidence than any other 1 thing. I no longer felt timing dependent.

How many lessons have you had

None really. Not in the traditional sense. I’m visual , I can watch someone do anything and replicate it. Not just in golf. I just chose my favorite swings and copied them.

How often do you work on mechanics ?

Never / or every day. Depending on your idea of mechanics.

Look. Once you realize that setup and backswing are all that matters for an athletically gifted player , it’s easy. My one and only swing thought ever is connection. I setup with good lines each time and I start my backswing with my core. Never ever my arms. My arms stay in front of my chest all the way back. And they naturally set when my turn completes. From there. I just bump hips open and try to split the ball in half. I don’t truly know what I do. Don’t care. Backswing is all that matters. Low , slow , wide and connected . Led by my core

So I hit balls everyday. So I guess I’m working on mechanics. But I’m truly not thinking mechanics. Just love to hit balls. And I’m thinking ball control. Each ball I hit has a purpose. I call my shot. And never two same in a row.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock