Starting thread because it's too early to text my fitter....

New to me set of i25's will be here Monday. I have appt with my fitter on Thursday for bending. I currently and have always played my irons cut down 7/8 of an inch shorter. After losing a ton of weight I have noticed that the contact point on my irons have been closer to the toe the past year instead of in the middle. Good feeling swing, bad feeling swing both still out towards the toe (still within the grooves). I was thinking about only taking 1/2 inch off of my irons/wedges instead of 7/8.

What are your thoughts? I have always been recommended "standard" from every online fitting but have always had shorter than normal because I have a longer torso and shorter legs.

Any input will be appreciated.

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Lamkin UTx Midsize Black
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1
Putter Shaft/Grip:   Flow Neck - Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33" w Lamkin Sink Skinny Blue

Plumbers Neck - Custom PX 5.5 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0

Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3-Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your fitter not have a fitting cart for you to hit some balls with different length clubs? If you don't have the option to test different lengths I play them at standard length and see how they feel. Other option it put tape to mark the location of 1/2 inch off and 7/8 off, choke down, and hit balls at each length. Won't be an exact representation but should give you an idea if one is better than the other.

he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

Putter Shaft/Grip:   Flow Neck - Custom DTG Smoke Shaft @ 33" w Lamkin Sink Skinny Blue

> @mvhoffman said:

> he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

>

Why rush cutting them? Just wait until you get there so you can try the other lengths. All you are going to do is cause yourself more of a headache if you cut to the wrong length because you didn't want to wait a week.

> @mvhoffman said:

> he does, I was wondering everyone's opinion because I am going to have them cut and gripped so when I go all he has to do is bend them for me

>

If you are having contact issues after weight loss it’s possible your swing changed but yet you are going to pre cut irons based on old swing. Doesn’t make sense to me if you are going to a fitter to have lie checked and adjusted why not just have length tested first.

Whether or not the club length you prefer is the same as what is recommended may not be that big of an issue. Impact location can improve greatly with a lie angle adjustment and proper weighting. If swingweight is an issue due to the shorter length, you may consider testing out Golf Pride's Tour 25 grip on one iron and see how that suits you. Not the best grip on the market but pretty good and it will allow you to play the shorter length setup you like and still maintain swingweight without having to modify the club further.

It's just that I've always played with the irons cut down. I don't know if I have ever payed with "standard" irons. From the minute I started playing golf I was looking up diy gripping and modifying clubs because lets be honest, 15 years ago if you were a club fitter and had an almost 400lb guy walk into your shop would you have taken him seriously. I was blown off numerous times because "guys your size have a hard time swinging" "lose some weight and come back and we'll get you going." This happened at numerous clubs/builders so I did it myself.

I sent my fitter a text and am waiting for him to get back to me.

1st off, congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!!! 2nd. Mark the grip ends with tape and see what you like. Length will certainly effect contact. After you have a comfortable length, have the fitter/club builder cut and adjust swing weights. Best of luck

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Congrats on the weight loss as @LaymanM mentioned. Depending on how much you lost, it could also be an alignment or swing path issue based on posture. Hope you can find a fix pretty easily and good luck! Keep fighting the good fight.

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Do not cut them before you try them at standard length. I realize ubhqve qlzqys played them 7/8 short, but your body is totally different now. Im sure your fitter will tell u the same thing.

If you are adament on cutting them down first you may as well beat them on a log to bend them. A major part of a fitting is determining correct length. You will probably be shocked at how a heavier club performs compared to a light club. Defeqrs the purpose of even going to a fitter if u cut them down first.

If u hadnt lost a bunch of weight and had always played your clubs short i would probably say go for it!

> @chadly643 said:

> An 1/8 of an inch is not much... I have trouble believing going for 1/2 instead of 7/8 will make any discernible difference. You must have a great relationship with your fitter if you’re on a texting basis, why not let him guide you?

7/8 minus 1/2 is 3/8 inch, not 1/8th. Agree to Just let the fitter do his work. Need to tell him about thhe toe strikes and go from there.

Common causes of toe strikes: shaft a bit too short, or a bit too upright. An in-person fitting, using face decals to chart impacts and dry-erase pen test, can help out.

Also, congrats on the i25 irons. A couple of years back when the model came out, I showed up at Golf Galaxy on a snowy January day when the Ping guy visited. I was only customer in the store, and got to test out intact irons of i25 and G25 models - in both CFS Stiff and Regular shafts. The G25 / Regular won out. The i25 felt good, but the G25 carried a club longer.

Unfortunately, I was recovering from a severe roll sprain of my right ankle, and did not feel like ordering new clubs that day. But, keep us informed on how those i25s work. I think you'll like them!

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Long story short...

After doing minor research, my chopped down Cobras are the same length as the “standard” i25. Shouldn’t be a surprise considering going from a GI club to more of a players set. I will be playing the set as standard and will not be needing a whole roll of lead tape to bring them back to swingweight.

Yes, I am very lucky that my fitter and I communicate so freely.

Yesterday marked my last round with the Cobras... unless the i25s don't work out. I have an appt at my fitter tomorrow afternoon to get them all adjusted! Cant wait