Titleist Fitting or Club fitting?

So, I am in the need of new clubs. I live really close to the Manchester Lane facility and have been looking at the full bag fitting. My other option is just working with my club pro for a fitting. He has fitting carts for ping, and callaway in addition to the titleist. Obviously the selections on those carts is far smaller that the full fitting at Titelist. So would you go for the full fitting through them, or a more limited fitting through the pro, but with more manufacturers options?

Mizuno ST190
Cobra F9 3 wood
Ping 410 5 wood
Callaway Apex pro 4-PW
Volkey Wedges
Spider

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist fittings like every other fitting from the manufacturer is hit of miss. I've had some very bad fittings including this year where I ended up explaining how to fit myself (or anyone) to the Titleist fitter that had been on the job for a year. I would tend to trust a fitting center a lot more than the manufacturers. Either way you need to get fitted multiple times before you buy anything, you want to take the average not a one day one hit wonder session.

Or do like most people buy and pray or adapt to the equipment.

All depends on what you want. It’s $600 for the full bag fitting at Manchester Lane. And they are booked up for the rest of the year. At least that’s what they emailed a buddy of mine yesterday. They don’t start up until next May.

I just did a Titleist Thursday free fitting yesterday, and that was the last one of the year as well.

I think you would get a more in-depth fitting at ML, but do we really need that? Depends. If you have the money, and could wait until next year, and are a gear head, and you want clubs that you know are going to work for you perfectly, do the full fitting at Manchester Lane.

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

If I’m going to spend money on fullbag fitting and plan to use a single brand I’m going to take their fitting at their facility over a rep/local fitter.

If it’s going to be a mixed bag I’m choosing to go to the brands fitting location first to get what section I want from that brand then find the best agnostic fitter locally

> @isgerrior said:

> So, I am in the need of new clubs. I live really close to the Manchester Lane facility and have been looking at the full bag fitting. My other option is just working with my club pro for a fitting. He has fitting carts for ping, and callaway in addition to the titleist. Obviously the selections on those carts is far smaller that the full fitting at Titelist. So would you go for the full fitting through them, or a more limited fitting through the pro, but with more manufacturers options?

Couple questions.

1) Is there some stuff you're pretty sure you want to try that won't be on the pro's fitting cart?

If so, probably best to bite the bullet and do it somewhere else so you don't feel you missed out.

2) Do you work with your club pro on your game and swing?

For my part, only person I'd really trust to fit me to clubs is the teaching pro I've had since I was a beginner. I don't take swing advice from anyone else and (from what I've seen and heard) fitters do like to suggest various little setup tweaks or what have you during the session. I trust my teaching pro to know my "usual swing" and make sure he's fitting to that as a standard rather than possibly fitting me based on an unusual day or worse yet fitting me based on an idea of how I ought to swing.

Titleist: 4 hours, hitting outdoors on grass, launch monitor, with the same people who fit pros, aren’t trying to sell you anything, and have an extensive set of shafts and other club options. A preeminent experience for a premium dollar.

Club pro: ask others who have been fit by that club pro and their experience. Certainly more convenient, less expensive, the person doesn’t fit clubs for a living but maybe? is very good, but you could also go back to them with issues that arise.

> @Muffy said:

> Titleist: 4 hours, hitting outdoors on grass, launch monitor, with the same people who fit pros, aren’t trying to sell you anything, and have an extensive set of shafts and other club options. A preeminent experience for a premium dollar.

> Club pro: ask others who have been fit by that club pro and their experience. Certainly more convenient, less expensive, the person doesn’t fit clubs for a living but maybe? is very good, but you could also go back to them with issues that arise.

I think that's a good summary.

The better "experience" on the day will be the Titleist fitting. And you'll probably walk away feeling like you had every chance to get a "perfect" match out of all those equipment options.

For my part, I'm not quite as much of a gear-head as a lot of WRX'ers and I'd only really want to get fitted for custom clubs if it sort of slotted into a longer-term program of working on my game. Which is why I'd go for my teaching pro every time.

Plus I would be so worn out about 2-1/2 hours into a 4-hour fitting I might need to get a bit of kip before finishing the program!

If you have the cash spare, try everything. Having it all matching is nice, but it’s better if you have the right clubs.

Taylormade M3 9.5 @ 10.25 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Titleist 816 H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1X

The only objection I would ever have to going the Manchester Lane route (I'm a couple hours away) is ending up with a full Titleist bag. I just like other stuff better for completely subjective reasons. You're not likely going to beat getting fit by an expert with every option Titleist offers at their disposal.

Taylormade SIM (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60

Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70

Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG2 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Support Local Pro.

And buy an effectively free Scotty by using The Pro.Or 5 free lessons plus your upvrades. This being WRX surely you dont need a whole new bag....Otherwise you havent been Hoing Enough and need to be reprimanded...!! Great times at Titleist with new irons and TS series..likely SM8 also within 3 months...Whats your most Critical area of concern....to upgrade ? Focus on that plus say 3 lessons with that new club..hope that makes good economic and strategic sense.Rogerinnz

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

What I like to do is try clubs outside on grass after I have been playing for awhile. First, I have to like the way the club looks. Second how the ball feels coming off the club face and finally is it the flight trajectory I like. After the eye test is complete, I like get some trackman numbers on the clubs to see if the numbers confirm my eye test. I am partial to Titleist, so I would love to go to Manchester and do it all soup to dessert.

But a warning... I have watched many go to get fitted around and about - and yes some have gained yards on their irons or woods. But I have yet to see any miracles performed in lowering scores. Getting fit is the new marketing angle since clubs and balls have maxed out. What fitting does is give you confidence you have the right tools in your bag... as long as it is done correctly!

Figure out what clubs you want - you should know if you should be in Ultra forgiving, player distance, blades, etc. Go in with a few preferences, tell this to your fitter. As you get fitted, discuss which heads may work best for you (some may have more or less offset/bounce) - you should narrow it down to a few candidates. Then get the shaft right - done...repeat for other clubs.

I feel that many people make the mistake on not going in with a few selections that sit well with your eye. If you don't say anything - the fitter will put you in his preferred equipment or the one he gets a better kickback. How a club looks and makes you feel is important. I agree on outside / grass.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 2 weeks later...