2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Player of the year

00steven

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > >

> > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > >

> > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > >

> > > > > but that's just me..

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > >

> > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> >

> >

> > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

>

> Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > >

> > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > >

> > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > >

> > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > >

> > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > >

> > >

> > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> >

> > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

>

> You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > >

> > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > >

> > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> >

> > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

>

> The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

>

> I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

When the PGA Tour broke off from the PGA, that meant that the PGA Championship was always at risk of slipping as a major and being replaced by something produced by the PGA Tour. While I still consider the PGA to be a major and is more important than the Players Championship it is clear that the Players is increasing in prestige despite what some around here think. This vote reflects that thinking. One could argue that if the Players was played on a more conventional championship golf course it would have already slipped by the PGA. That Stadium Dye course is slightly goofy.

> @NevinW said:

> When the PGA Tour broke off from the PGA, that meant that the PGA Championship was always at risk of slipping as a major and being replaced by something produced by the PGA Tour. While I still consider the PGA to be a major and is more important than the Players Championship it is clear that the Players is increasing in prestige despite what some around here think. This vote reflects that thinking. One could argue that if the Players was played on a more conventional championship golf course it would have already slipped by the PGA. That Stadium Dye course is slightly goofy.

Somewhat agree. The course holds that tournament back for sure. I love alot of courses. But that one and whistling straights jusT is hard to watch on tv. I’m glad Rory won. But I don’t put the players above the pga.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > >

> > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > >

> > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > >

> > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> >

> > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > The perks of winning a major championship

> > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

>

>

> Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

> @"Golf Scientist" said:

> > @jmvargas said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > >

> >

> > ..Admittedly the PGA may be the weakest of the 4 majors but it IS still a MAJOR.

> >

>

> >

> >

> Do the tournaments carrying the title "major" actually have anything better than other tournaments? (No).

> Are they on better courses than the other tournaments? (No).

> Do they have better fields than other tournaments? (No, it could bend argued they have weaker fields than many other tournaments. PGA championship has a bunch of golf course pros who don't have the games to play on tour week in and week out. The Masters has a ton of amateurs. The US Open and (British) Open Championship take the people that happen to get hot in qualifying events.

> Are their course conditions conducive to better players winning? (No, in fact in many cases fast greens - where the grass is on the verge of dying - and drastic slopes are more likely to bring luck into play, and you're more likely to see names you've never heard of before in contention). You are more likely to have a one hit wonder win a major than most other tour events (exception being tournaments like the John Deer where the field is so weak you are almost guaranteed to get a winner you've never heard of).

> Just because something carries the moniker "major" doesn't mean it going to be any better than other events. The majors are just "hyped" by the media more than other tournaments.

You couldn't be more wrong. Majors are the hardest to get into to. Yes, some of them offer opportunities for non-tour players but the fields are much more stacked by the top players in the world because of the exemptions included in majors, they are far greater than those of a regular tournament. Look them up for yourself.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > >

> > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > >

> > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> >

> > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> >

> > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

>

> Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

LLIC and GolfScientist, let me clarify 3 things. 1) I'm happy Rory won. 2) would I love for the Players to replace the PGA as the 4th major, sure, I think the players is an awesome tournament at an incredible venue. 3) As of right now, the Players isn't a Major and the PGA is, and there is a substantial difference in the exemptions list between the two. Yes, they are similar exemptions for 2 years, but for the next 3 years after that, the exemptions from winning the PGA are far, far greater than those from winning the players.

I know and understand your opinions about the pga and obviously you don't like it being called a Major but your opinions don't change facts.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > >

> > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > >

> > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > >

> > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > >

> > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> >

> > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

>

> Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > >

> > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > >

> > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> >

> >

> > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

>

> Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @NevinW said:

> > When the PGA Tour broke off from the PGA, that meant that the PGA Championship was always at risk of slipping as a major and being replaced by something produced by the PGA Tour. While I still consider the PGA to be a major and is more important than the Players Championship it is clear that the Players is increasing in prestige despite what some around here think. This vote reflects that thinking. One could argue that if the Players was played on a more conventional championship golf course it would have already slipped by the PGA. That Stadium Dye course is slightly goofy.

>

> Somewhat agree. The course holds that tournament back for sure. I love alot of courses. But that one and whistling straights jusT is hard to watch on tv. I’m glad Rory won. But I don’t put the players above the pga.

I don't think the Tour wants to replace the PGA as a major with the Players. If anything it wants "5th major" status. There isn't any reason to go to war with the PGA. But if for some reason it was warranted, the Tour could move the Players back to May, rotate the courses to top sites, and almost immediately the PGA would fall in stature and be replaced by the Players as a major. Also, as it stands Sawgrass is a better course than half the courses the PGA has been held in recent years.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > >

> > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > >

> > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > >

> > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > >

> > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> >

> > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

>

> We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

This has to be trolling.

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > Guys who play with each week in week out have a better handle on what’s important and who is worthy of awards. I’m glad the players and not fans/journalists get to choose the winner.

> >

> > Players got it right.

>

> So you don't think players aren't effected by recency bias like many fans, media etc. often are. They'll be players voting on this that have never watched any or very little of the golf (Rory and Brooks) on TV or live in person because they are consistently slogging away at the lower end of the field. To generalise that all players automatically know more is wrong.

>

> I stated as soon as Rory won the Fed Ex and the debate started that I suspected the players would go for Rory but I believed Brooks probably deserved it. Neither choice can be definitely declared right or wrong as its subjective. Players didn't get it right (or wrong).

> @bbedell said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > Guys who play with each week in week out have a better handle on what’s important and who is worthy of awards. I’m glad the players and not fans/journalists get to choose the winner.

> >

> > Players got it right.

>

> And not at all influenced by who guys like and are friendly with, personal feelings, etc right? Brooks won the eye test, and the PGA POY was the correct result. I'm not sure why we need a PGA POY and PGA Tour POY, but I'd say this result clearly indicates the bias involved when you allow guys to vote for their peers vs an actual numerical system to determine the winner.

>

>

There’s a bias in everything including fans who prefer one player over another or one tournament win over another. But at the end of the day Rory had a better year. 14 of his 19 events were top 10. He led several strokes gained categories.

Brooks overall year just wasn’t as good.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > >

> > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > >

> > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > >

> > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > >

> > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> >

> > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

>

> We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

It's good to have an opinion.

Personally, I enjoy all of them. I attended the PGA Championship this year and gotta say, if watching Tiger try to chase down Brooks wasn't exciting to watch, I don't know what would be. We followed Rory, he struggled that day but was still amazing to watch.

That being said, Sawgrass has an amazing finishing 3 holes, which always makes that tournament fun to watch. Seeing Ricky win it a few years ago when he birdied the 17th hole like 4 out of 5 times was extraordinary. The Players Championship is known to be REALLY accommodating to the players, which, along with the payout, is part of the reason they get such a talented field.

> @tsecor said:

> Did i just read someone called the Players a wannabe tournament? lol

..Yes I did but in the context of " wannabe "Major"..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > >

> > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > >

> > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > >

> > >

> > > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

> >

> > Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> > I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

>

> And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

My reputation is just fine thank you. Trying to help you understand why job security for 5 years is better than 2 years is apparently more difficult than I thought.

• Like 1

Someone's logic is backwards.

It's not the perks that define a or make it a major. The perks are a consequence of it being a major.

There was a time when the U.S. Am and the British Am were considered majors - and the only perks they had was a trophy and the prestige of winning.

So if you want to argue what should or should not be a major (I don't), I suggest sticking with much more valid arguments. e.g. how hard is it to win, the level of competition, how penal does it deal with mistakes, the level it tests the quality of ones game and how well rounded your skill set need to be to win.

• Like 1

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > > >

> > > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

> > >

> > > Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> > > I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

> >

> > And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

>

> My reputation is just fine thank you. Trying to help you understand why job security for 5 years is better than 2 years is apparently more difficult than I thought.

You embarrassed yourself again. Players Championship winners get 5 year exemptions on the PGA Tour. I wish I could help you understand self-awareness.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > >

> > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > >

> > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > >

> > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > >

> > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> >

> > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

>

> This has to be trolling.

You can't be serious.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > > >

> > > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > > >

> > > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> > >

> > > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> >

> > This has to be trolling.

>

> You can't be serious.

Your assessment on the majors is debatable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I can see where you are coming from even if I don't entirely agree. But with the last sentence it fell apart. If you don't like the PGA, thats fine, but to state "The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA" is an ignorant claim.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> > > >

> > > > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> > >

> > > This has to be trolling.

> >

> > You can't be serious.

>

> Your assessment on the majors is debatable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I can see where you are coming from even if I don't entirely agree. But with the last sentence it fell apart. If you don't like the PGA, thats fine, but to state "The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA" is an ignorant claim.

It's a more well-thought out view than the baseless speculation you have been spewing out here. Explain how it stands out from any top PGA Tour event.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > > >

> > > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

> > >

> > > Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> > > I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

> >

> > And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

>

> My reputation is just fine thank you. Trying to help you understand why job security for 5 years is better than 2 years is apparently more difficult than I thought.

So I did some digging and see you started a thread asking why the PGA Championship is a still a major... Instead of learning from the answers, you proceeded to bash everyone's opinions for 12 pages.

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > >

> > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > >

> > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > >

> > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> >

> > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > The perks of winning a major championship

> > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

>

> https://www.theplayers.com/content/the-players/news/2017/05/14/benefits-of-winning-the-players/_jcr_content/articleBodyCenterParsys/textimage/image.img.jpg/1494783348487.jpgy50yo0zdwrhh.png

>

It's not my fault your dumb ass post from page 4 didn't say that.

I looked into it myself and it looks like it does get a 5 year PGA tour exemption BUT only 3 years exemption to all the MAJORS. This is 2 less years exemption to the other 3 majors and (lifetime exemption to the PGA Championship) if you win the PGA Championship.

You still lose.

> @LICC said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> > > > >

> > > > > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> > > >

> > > > This has to be trolling.

> > >

> > > You can't be serious.

> >

> > Your assessment on the majors is debatable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I can see where you are coming from even if I don't entirely agree. But with the last sentence it fell apart. If you don't like the PGA, thats fine, but to state "The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA" is an ignorant claim.

>

> It's a more well-thought out view than the baseless speculation you have been spewing out here. Explain how it stands out from any top PGA Tour event.

The arrogance and hubris is laughable. I was being kind some of the claims in your statement are nonsense and to use the phrase you must have recently learned, it was "baseless speculation".

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > This has to be trolling.

> > > >

> > > > You can't be serious.

> > >

> > > Your assessment on the majors is debatable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I can see where you are coming from even if I don't entirely agree. But with the last sentence it fell apart. If you don't like the PGA, thats fine, but to state "The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA" is an ignorant claim.

> >

> > It's a more well-thought out view than the baseless speculation you have been spewing out here. Explain how it stands out from any top PGA Tour event.

>

> The arrogance and hubris is laughable. I was being kind some of the claims in your statement are nonsense and to use the phrase you must have recently learned, it was "baseless speculation".

LLIC started a thread a few months ago asking why the PGA was still a Major and then spent 12 pages bashing everyone's input into the topic. Reminds me of an extreme left or right wing political nut that loves to talk but refuses to listen, very close-minded.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > @jmvargas said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have been playing golf for 61 years and have always felt and believed that winning Majors was the epitome of a golfers career..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > even today the atmosphere and anticipation for the majors is unlike any of the other tournaments including that of the so-called 5th major..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > these wannabe events--ie--the Players. Tour Championship, Fedex Cup etc...--have only MONEY as their main attraction ..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > imho they still do not and will never command the respect nor recognition given to the 4 Majors and hope it remains that way..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > but that's just me..

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > The atmosphere and anticipation of the PGA is no more than for the Players. As it should be. You can’t explain why you think the PGA is more significant other than the media calls it a major.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > This is simply wrong to suggest its only the media calling it a major. Everyone in golf recognises these 4 tournaments are a notch above the rest. They carry more prestige with players, sponsors, the other tours etc. plus they are recognised as more important with OWGR points, FedEx Cup points etc.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd actually suggest its mostly the PGA Tour and their media partners that tell us that the Players is the equal of say the PGA, which it's not if you ask the overwhelming majority of people who take an interest in golf.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > You are just baselessly speculating. The PGA Championship does not confer more FedEx points than the Players. It is the same. Golf fans I know don’t consider the PGA more prestigious than the Players.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Its not baseless nor is it speculation. PGA Tour decides Fed Ex Cup points hence they elevate the Players onto the same level but pretty much everyone else sees it differently except you and your friends.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You made the incorrect statement about FedEx points. I corrected you. Your statement that everyone in golf places the PGA above the Players is baseless speculation. As i is your comment that everyone sees it differently than me. Just look above in this thread for others that have the same view as me.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The majors do carry more points than every other tournament including WGCs with the exception of the Players which is on a par but its the PGA Tour's flagship event and they decide the points. OK I should have been more precise with regards to Fed Ex Cup points. OWGR award 100 for a major but 80 for the Players.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I said pretty much everyone and I accept some see it differently but they are in the minority. I'm a fan of the Players and its definitely a much more prestigious title than it was 35 years ago when I first started watching it but majors are still more prestigious. We could debate all day how marginal the difference is but this is the view held by the overwhelming majority of people involved in golf or who follow golf.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Overwhelming majority? Again, just utterly baseless speculation on your part. I would guess the percentage of golf fans that hold either the Players or the PGA of greater interest than the other is about even. But that is anecdotal speculation by me. Which is no less valid than your guessing.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thats not what I said though, I said majors and I accept that the PGA is likely fourth in the packing order so the difference between that specific major and the Players is a lot closer. It's not a science so technically it's all guessing but no way is it baseless speculation. As a starting point just look at all the writings on the game of golf , the history of the player of the year awards, golf hall of fame, the players with the best endorsements etc. there is significant evidence to backup my claims. If you can make a case that it's not the consensus that would be interesting.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We are talking about the PGA specifically, not all the majors. Brooks won the PGA this year, none of the other majors. The other majors are more prestigious but not because they are called "majors". The U.S. Open is our national championship and, usually, is played on historic courses with different, tougher set-ups than regular Tour events. The Open (British), is another national championship with historical courses far different in style than played on the tours. The Masters is the most popular tournament in golf, by far, with all its unique features. The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > This has to be trolling.

> > > >

> > > > You can't be serious.

> > >

> > > Your assessment on the majors is debatable but you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I can see where you are coming from even if I don't entirely agree. But with the last sentence it fell apart. If you don't like the PGA, thats fine, but to state "The PGA Championship is a glorified Tour event run by the PGA" is an ignorant claim.

> >

> > It's a more well-thought out view than the baseless speculation you have been spewing out here. Explain how it stands out from any top PGA Tour event.

>

> The arrogance and hubris is laughable. I was being kind some of the claims in your statement are nonsense and to use the phrase you must have recently learned, it was "baseless speculation".

Explain how it stands out from any top PGA Tour event.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

> > > >

> > > > Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> > > > I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

> > >

> > > And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

> >

> > My reputation is just fine thank you. Trying to help you understand why job security for 5 years is better than 2 years is apparently more difficult than I thought.

>

> So I did some digging and see you started a thread asking why the PGA Championship is a still a major... Instead of learning from the answers, you proceeded to bash everyone's opinions for 12 pages.

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > >

> > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > >

> > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> >

> > https://www.theplayers.com/content/the-players/news/2017/05/14/benefits-of-winning-the-players/_jcr_content/articleBodyCenterParsys/textimage/image.img.jpg/1494783348487.jpgy50yo0zdwrhh.png

> >

>

> It's not my fault your dumb **** post from page 4 didn't say that.

> I looked into it myself and it looks like it does get a 5 year PGA tour exemption BUT only 3 years exemption to all the MAJORS. This is 2 less years exemption to the other 3 majors and (lifetime exemption to the PGA Championship) if you win the PGA Championship.

> You still lose.

>

So you posted dumb obnoxious comments and insults not knowing that you were clueless about which you spoke. Got it.

> @LICC said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Being obnoxious without substance isn’t working well for you here.

> > > > >

> > > > > Did you even read what you posted? 2 year exemptions to a list of tournaments with only the Players being a 5 year exemption while If you win the PGA championship you get a ton of 5 year exemptions and an exemption for life at the pga championship.

> > > > > I'm sure you are good at something in life, but reading details and understanding the importance of exemptions on tour isn't one of them. But knowing you, you'll keep running your mouth with something fact-less.

> > > >

> > > > And thanks for proving my point. Your reputation here is in shreds. For your own good you should quit now and not embarrass yourself further.

> > >

> > > My reputation is just fine thank you. Trying to help you understand why job security for 5 years is better than 2 years is apparently more difficult than I thought.

> >

> > So I did some digging and see you started a thread asking why the PGA Championship is a still a major... Instead of learning from the answers, you proceeded to bash everyone's opinions for 12 pages.

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > > > > As a big Rory fan, I'm happy for him to win it but can't say I completely agree with the decision. By them picking him, it down plays the significance of Majors in an attempt to make the Tour Championship seem more important than it really is. Nobody grew up dreaming of winning the tour championship, they grew up dreaming of winning the masters or british open. Don't downplay the majors, lord knows Joe Buck and Fox have already tried to make 1 of the big 4 seem like garbage.

> > > > > > > > > > Like the NBA mvp pick, it's a lot more political than it should be because it's hard to pick one sometimes when it's not the year 2000 and your name isn't Tiger Woods.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Why should the PGA Championship be more significant than the Players?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > You know why... Is the PGA a sub-par major, probably. Should the Players replace it as the 4th major, probably. But is the players a Major, no. Until it is, we're not comparing apples to apples.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That is just nomenclature. I'm not asking what the media calls a major, I'm asking what about the tournament should give it greater significance than the Players. And there is no good answer, which is why it seems fine to me for Tour players to give Rory's wins this season as much or more weight than Koepka's.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It's not what the media calls a Major, it is a Major. That's a fact. There is a good answer. Majors have more significance than non-majors. The only thing that's changed is how "important" the PGA is putting winning the tour championship.

> > > > >

> > > > > A "Major" is just a name given by the media. That's it. The name alone does not give it more significance. There is no good answer as to why the PGA Championship is still called a "Major" or why it should have greater significance than the Players.

> > > >

> > > > I dug this up online to help you wrap your head around what a Major is and what it means besides the prize money:

> > > > The perks of winning a major championship

> > > > Prestige, obviously -- you're in a limited company of players to ever win a major

> > > > If you win the Masters, you're in the Masters for life, basically, and you're in the U.S. Open, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the U.S. Open, you're exempt in the U.S. Open for 10 years, and you're in the Masters, Open Championship and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the British Open, you're in the Open until you're 60, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and PGA Championship for five years

> > > > If you win the PGA Championship, you're in the PGA Championship for life, basically, and you're in the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship for five years

> > > > You get a 5-year exemption on the PGA Tour for winning a major, and you can pretty much set your schedule for two years

> > > > You get a spot in the Tournament of Champions

> > > > You get 100 Official World Golf Ranking points, which pretty much locks up a spot in the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking for 18 months, no matter what

> > > > You get 600 FedEx Cup points

> > > > You get big Ryder Cup points if you're an American or European player

> > >

> > > https://www.theplayers.com/content/the-players/news/2017/05/14/benefits-of-winning-the-players/_jcr_content/articleBodyCenterParsys/textimage/image.img.jpg/1494783348487.jpgy50yo0zdwrhh.png

> > >

> >

> > It's not my fault your dumb **** post from page 4 didn't say that.

> > I looked into it myself and it looks like it does get a 5 year PGA tour exemption BUT only 3 years exemption to all the MAJORS. This is 2 less years exemption to the other 3 majors and (lifetime exemption to the PGA Championship) if you win the PGA Championship.

> > You still lose.

> >

>

> So you posted dumb obnoxious comments and insults not knowing that you were clueless about which you spoke. Got it.

Are you still talking about yourself? #LLICisSTILLlosing