What are some Mid-Capper Irons...

Looking for some ideas on mid-handicapper iron set with distance and forgiveness within the last 6 years?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just put a set 5-Pw of Callaway apex cf 16’s in my bag and am loving them. It might be a honeymoon period but they are the best feeling irons I have ever gamed. Check out CPO if interested.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> @pak said:

> I just put a set 5-Pw of Callaway apex cf 16’s in my bag and am loving them. It might be a honeymoon period but they are the best feeling irons I have ever gamed. Check out CPO if interested.

> @JDCON said:

> > @pak said:

> > I just put a set 5-Pw of Callaway apex cf 16’s in my bag and am loving them. It might be a honeymoon period but they are the best feeling irons I have ever gamed. Check out CPO if interested.

>

> I just bought a set of those for my dad. Great clubs!

Funny, I was just looking at those irons.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I'll 'third' the suggestion for Apex CF16s, they can be had for a song right now too since the CF19 are out.

My CF16 irons are the only things in my bag I havent switched out in the last 2 years.

Mavrik + ATMOS TS Black / Mavrik 4W + ATMOS TS Blue / Mavrik Pro 3H + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black / Apex 19-Pro + C-Taper / MD5 / Odyssey SL Black 7 + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

Maltby TE or DBM forged are easy to hit and you can pick any shaft and grip you want for a good price.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Srixon z585, cobra forged tech black, Bridgestone j15 cb, df, ping i200, Mizuno mp 54, mp h5, mp h4, jpx models to name a few. Really depends on what you like to look at in terms of size and offset. Two recent models that stood out to me with feel and ease of use were z585 and forged tech black. Some great options out there used as well to help save some cash.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Another vote for the CF16s. I’m a 13 at the moment and bought a secondhand set this year. They are amazing. My prior set was Ping G25s which are highly regarded and great clubs as well but I like these a lot more.

Ping G400 Max 9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Cobra King Speedzone 3F Tensei Blue 65s

TaylorMade V-Steel 7W GD Purple Ice 85s

Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

Ping Glide 2.0 58/8 ES
Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple-Track 2-Ball

Doesn't it depend on your ball striking ability and consistency? Mid HC irons are really GI irons and range from more bladed styles to deep cavity backs. The real decision should be based on your ability to consistently hit the sweet spot - get more forgiving irons if you're not consistent in your strikes. And then it comes down to feel. I see too many people playing more bladed style GI irons and then hitting it terribly. As the old saying goes 'play the most forgiving iron you can stomach to look at'.

Lots of good options out there, but my short list would be Ping i210, MAYBE Titleist AP2, Titleist AP3, Mizuno JPX 900/919 Hot Metal, 919 Hot Metal Tours, JPX 900/919 Forged; Callaway Apex; Callaway Rogue Pro; Taylormade P790; Taylormade M.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

6 hdcp and played P790 last season i200 this season but found a cheap set of Ping G's that arrive today after not liking the G410's so have to see how that goes. Most likely will go back to the 2017 P790's as I have missed them a lot since I sold them. With the new 790's hitting in September I hope to find a "cheap" set of the original 790's and just go back to them and be done with switching irons.