2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What is the one rule you wish could be changed

> @Fade said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Fade said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @Fade said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @davep043 , In the playoff round of the 1913 US Open, which changed golf history in America and is one of the most important rounds ever played, Francis Ouimet hit a ball from the fairway OB.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > “Playing today Francis would have been penalized both stroke and distance, but the USGA rule governing an [OB] shot differed drastically in 1913 ... No penalty stroke was applied. As a referee came over to instruct him, Francis simply dropped a second ball over his shoulder within a club length of where he played his last; lying two, playing three.” - The Greatest Game Ever Played

> > > > >

> > > > > Wow that is lenient. So he was not substantially worse off having put his ball into an impossible (to play from), off-course position than he would have been if he had lightly topped the ball and advanced it only a foot or so?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > One bad swing cost him one stroke. Not lenient; perfectly fair.

> > >

> > > No, there must be a penalty for not being able to play the ball as it lies. You can't ignore that principle and still call it golf.

> >

> > He was penalized the distance by having to take a stroke on the drop at his original spot.

> Distance could be anything from say - 300 yards to + 300 yards. Your so-called distance-penalty could turn into a distance-award if a ball ricochets backwards. I suppose you will label this scenario as unrealistic also?

> > So you want two penalties for hitting it into a pond?

> Without thinking this through, I don't think I would mind similar treatment as for lost ball, OB, etc..

If the best you have is that a ball may ricochet back 75 yards, then you don’t have much.

> @LICC said:

> > @Fade said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Fade said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Fade said:

> > > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @davep043 , In the playoff round of the 1913 US Open, which changed golf history in America and is one of the most important rounds ever played, Francis Ouimet hit a ball from the fairway OB.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > “Playing today Francis would have been penalized both stroke and distance, but the USGA rule governing an [OB] shot differed drastically in 1913 ... No penalty stroke was applied. As a referee came over to instruct him, Francis simply dropped a second ball over his shoulder within a club length of where he played his last; lying two, playing three.” - The Greatest Game Ever Played

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Wow that is lenient. So he was not substantially worse off having put his ball into an impossible (to play from), off-course position than he would have been if he had lightly topped the ball and advanced it only a foot or so?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > One bad swing cost him one stroke. Not lenient; perfectly fair.

> > > >

> > > > No, there must be a penalty for not being able to play the ball as it lies. You can't ignore that principle and still call it golf.

> > >

> > > He was penalized the distance by having to take a stroke on the drop at his original spot.

> > Distance could be anything from say - 300 yards to + 300 yards. Your so-called distance-penalty could turn into a distance-award if a ball ricochets backwards. I suppose you will label this scenario as unrealistic also?

> > > So you want two penalties for hitting it into a pond?

> > Without thinking this through, I don't think I would mind similar treatment as for lost ball, OB, etc..

>

> If the best you have is that a ball may ricochet back 75 yards, then you don’t have much.

Not much I can do when I have to entertain the idea of a distance penalty that does not exist. There is no such thing as stroke and distance penalty. Stroke and distance relief is the appropriate term and reflects the proper way to think about this.

• 4 weeks later...

Rule 4.1a, "Clubs Allowed in Making a Stroke-- (1) Conforming Clubs. In making a stroke, a player must use a club that conforms to the requirements in the Equipment Rules... Penalty for Making Stroke in Breach of Rule 4.1a: Disqualification"

The penalty would be altered to read: "Penalty for making stroke in breach of rule 4.1a: The player incurs the general penalty. In stroke play, the player must correct the mistake by playing a stroke with an allowed club from where the ball previously lay.

The stroke made with the non-allowed club and any more strokes before the mistake is corrected (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.

If the player does not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning his or her scorecard, the player is disqualified."

Rationality: I think playing with a "wrong club" (non-conforming) should be in line with playing a wrong ball

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Rule 4.1a, "Clubs Allowed in Making a Stroke-- (1) Conforming Clubs. In making a stroke, a player must use a club that conforms to the requirements in the Equipment Rules... Penalty for Making Stroke in Breach of Rule 4.1a: Disqualification"

>

> The penalty would be altered to read: "Penalty for making stroke in breach of rule 4.1a: The player incurs the general penalty. In stroke play, the player must correct the mistake by playing a stroke with an allowed club from where the ball previously lay.

> The stroke made with the non-allowed club and any more strokes before the mistake is corrected (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.

> If the player does not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning his or her scorecard, the player is disqualified."

>

> Rationality: I think playing with a "wrong club" (non-conforming) should be in line with playing a wrong ball

To me the two circumstances are different, playing a nonconforming club is more akin to playing with a nonconforming ball. The penalty for both of those is DQ. In both of those situations, you have to opportunity before you start to make sure all of your equipment is legal. Playing a wrong ball is a mistake made during the course of a round, and should be treated differently.

> @davep043 said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > Rule 4.1a, "Clubs Allowed in Making a Stroke-- (1) Conforming Clubs. In making a stroke, a player must use a club that conforms to the requirements in the Equipment Rules... Penalty for Making Stroke in Breach of Rule 4.1a: Disqualification"

> >

> > The penalty would be altered to read: "Penalty for making stroke in breach of rule 4.1a: The player incurs the general penalty. In stroke play, the player must correct the mistake by playing a stroke with an allowed club from where the ball previously lay.

> > The stroke made with the non-allowed club and any more strokes before the mistake is corrected (including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count.

> > If the player does not correct the mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning his or her scorecard, the player is disqualified."

> >

> > Rationality: I think playing with a "wrong club" (non-conforming) should be in line with playing a wrong ball

>

> To me the two circumstances are different, playing a nonconforming club is more akin to playing with a nonconforming ball. The penalty for both of those is DQ. In both of those situations, you have to opportunity before you start to make sure all of your equipment is legal. Playing a wrong ball is a mistake made during the course of a round, and should be treated differently.

>

>

I guess I would have to change the ball rule as well, for sake of consistency!

I wanted to bring it closer to my philosophy of "Stroke and distance fixes all" (in this case 2 strokes and distance). That in general, the rules allow almost any mistake to be washed over by putting the ball back where it was and adding 1 to 2 strokes to your score. We don't DQ a player for carrying an extra club, even though the player could have counted before the round. We just add some strokes, take the club out of play, and keep going. Why not do the same for non-conforming? Even if not in stroke play, in match play loss of hole seems reasonable enough: you used an illegal club on this hole = You lose this hole.

Or, counterpoint: Penalty for Breach of Rule 4.1*b* altered to read: "The player is disqualified"

> @Swisstrader98 said:

> Funny part for me is that I think I’m actually a decent player from a divot.

>

> Sure, all of us get a bit depressed when you’ve hit a great shot down the middle of the fairway only to find your ball in a divot but it’s a much easier shot than it looks.

I was in a fresh caught divot that was impossible. The front of the divot, where the ball came to rest against was straight across as it somebody cut it out with a tiny shovel. Only about a quarter of the ball was above ground and the rest was leaning against the flat wall of the divot. I don't mind playing out of a divot as you say you're so good at, but nobody on planet Earth could have done well with the lie I had in this particular divot, nobody! With that being said, I would love to see relief from a situation like this but know it is difficult to make rules that apply to a situation like this.

• 2 months later...

Forgive me if this has come up in this thread already, (I scanned it and it seemed mainly to be about divots and ob) or elsewhere on the site.

I'd get rid of the anchoring rule simply because it seems, practically, unenforcable. For what it's worth I used a belly putter to good effect for a while and if it were legal I'd go back to it now and again just for fun. But I have an issue around a guy I play with regularly, who is more than an acquaintance but less than a friend, who uses a long putter Langher style.

My strong suspicion is that he anchors at least from 10ft in but, realistically, how can I know? I like the guy and there's no way I'm going to risk alienating him and his pals (and mine) by confronting the issue. That said while I can tolerate the suspicion in friendly match play, I would not mark his card in stroke play in the knowledge I could not perform my duty to protect the field.

So, I'd get rid of the anchoring rule. Allow anchoring or restrict the length of the putter. Don't care either way. Stupidest rule in golf.

• Like 1

The R&A and USGA are satisfied that the Rule addresses the problem they sought to solve. Don't hold your breath that the next revision will change it. Your "problem", and I agree that you have one, must be confronted at the local level. Your choices are to talk to the player and/or talk to the golf professional.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

This has probably already been mentioned, but I would like to see the demise of the stroke and distance penalty...treat "OB" as a lateral. A couple of reasons for this: speeds up pace of play, i.e., no having to hit a provisional, and in most cases then spending time looking for the first ball. Secondly, amateurs aren't the straightest hitters of the golf ball, and stroke and distance is extremely penal. Heck, you already lost a ball, why add insult to injury with stroke and distance, lol.

Ironically, and I don't think this has been mentioned, change the darn OB rule back to the way it was.

Guaranteed lie in the fairway, silly parameters - stupid.

You can't keep your ball within the boundaries of the course on a hole, take your two strokes (well deserved) and move on. Can't get your next ball in bounds, take 2 more.

Stroke and distance is intended to be penal.

It's just a couple more strokes (oh my, I shot 92 instead of that 90 or 91).

(This is not a rebuttal to the above post, I came here to post this, lol).

• Like 1

Change it to which way it was? Over the years, it has been stroke and distance, it has been stroke only. Currently, the rule is stroke and distance. In my opinion, stroke and distance is the right way to go, but I understand the reasoning behind the optional Local Rule.

Absolutely disagree. The Referees are charged with calling any breach of the Rules that they observe or are made aware of by others. Do you really think that every player on the PGATour and Champions Tour would go along with another player blatantly, and, by your comments, continuously, breaching a Rule? (no response is expected)

Disagree. You give a long hitter free reign to hit driver anywhere and only suffer 1 shot penalty , and he will hit driver everywhere and not care about the occasional 1 shot lost. Stroke and distance is better for all. It keeps longer players in check. And doesn’t effect short hitters often as they don’t hit it OB much ( relative to long guys).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Question. What’s your thoughts on Langer macaron or Scott with regards to whether either ever anchor accidentally during play ?

I honestly doubt you’ll answer that And if you do , I don’t think you can say no .

My point? That’s where everyone’s frustration comes With this rule . We’ve all seen macaron or Langer especially with his forearm clearly on their chest with wrist super flexed up to show a gap . That forearm is anchored . Their needs to be air gap for entire arm In my opinion . Is it on purpose ? I don’t know is it actually anchored ? I don’t know , could be just touching shirt .

Again this is why people call bs , it’s that this is not a black and white situation . And to call anyone who disagrees with you a troll , just kind of backs that point up . What you’re saying is “ shut up , don’t point out the grey area , it effects me and I like it how it is “

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I do wish that this had gone away on 1/1/2019:

From Rule 11.1a Ball in Motion Accidentally Hits Person or Outside InfluenceException – Ball Played on Putting Green in Stroke Play: If the player’s ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before the stroke, the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes). Rules and InterpretationsRule 15.3 Ball or Ball-Marker Helping or Interfering with Play, takes care of "helping and interfering" on the green. Rules and Interpretations

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

R10.1b is hardly a Rule that can be enforced from one's La-Z-Boy. And, no I don't think anyone "accidentally" anchors, but even if they did, unless their name was Patrick Reed, they would call it on themselves. This is the dead horse of all dead horses, except for the La-Z-Boy crowd and known trolls. Rules and Interpretations