What is the one rule you wish could be changed

You are making up an unrealistic scenario. If it really was a TERRIBLE shot, Player B would have sliced it awfully or pulled it terribly and not gotten much distance on it. So he would have a very long approach from the edge of the playable area, probably with a bad angle, to get to the green on presumably the hardest hole on the course. If he were to hit a shot to chipping range, and then get up and down, then he made an outstanding shot or two along the way. Not just good shots, but outstanding shots. Now if it wasn't a terrible tee shot, maybe just pushed a bit too much and bounced a foot past a white stake, and he got good distance on it, then taking one penalty and requiring three more good shots to tie the hole on which he is given a stroke is also fair.

He is getting a stroke on the hole. So if he hits a bad shot, that negates his stroke. If he hits a terrible shot, that negates his stroke, and he needs two outstanding shots just to tie the hole. Eminently fair.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OH, DEAR . . . NOT AGAIN!

Yeah it's not that hard to grasp. The longer you are here, the less you pollute the other subforums on this site, so there's the silver lining.

What’s the definition of, “insufferable?”

I could be wrong. But I thought yellow went away this year ? At least our near island green went to all red.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 21* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Now I’ll vote for that. I’ve advocated for automatic 2 putt rule for a green hit in regulation forever. The only thing I follow Ben Hogan on. I hate putting. The game would be perfect without it.

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

Gotcha. I knew that sounded too easy. At any rate. I was glad to see ours turn red. It was yellow on front and red around the left side and back for years. Always arguing over where it crossed and hit. In the yellow or red. The boundary stake where yellow and red touched was the left front corner of the green complex. OB right. So everyone crossed right on the left corner to avoid OB.

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

I would agree. No one can convince me that Langer is not anchoring. Same for a guy we play with occasionally and seeing it up close, the guy is definitely anchoring. Tough to prove and also a case of me not wanting to call a friend out on it, but easy to see it.

Unsure why with all the rules around equipment they don’t simply limit the length of the putter.

Because one could still anchor, or appear to anchor with a shorter putter. Also, a shorter length putter would favor a shorter player, at least in that regard.

That said I feel putters should be 48” max like other clubs.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

But you could still anchor, or appear to anchor, and even moreso if you are shorter than average. What length should the putter be, in this proposal? It would have to be long enough for a tall player to be comfortable playing with. Limiting putter lenght isn't really a solutiong to the "problem" IMO

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

What if you are 5'5"? Or even shorter? You wouldn't have to adjust much to make up a foot and a half once you account for the head and neck area. Just take a stance that isn't upright basically.

Even at a 36" length a shorter player could anchor, or appear to anchor.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

"If the putter is 48", how could you anchor? "
You can anchor without having your hand all the way at the top. Placement of the hands had nothing to do with your question, nor with my answer. But as @Vindog says, for a shorter player a 48" putter could still be mid-chest height. Limiting the length of the putter doesn't eliminate the potential for anchoring.

Here we have it, folks, a "debate" between a couple of people who have read Rule 10.1b vs a couple of others who've never read the Rule.

As a public service for the latter, here is a link to the Rule: Rules and InterpretationsPlus a link to three Interpretations: Rules and Interpretations

Not to missed, of course, are the contributions from those who believe that the Rule (or any Rule, for that matter) is written so that it can be enforced by the La-Z-Boy "referee" watching on his 69" TV.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

These interpretations might be of interest:10.1b/2 – Deliberate Contact with Clothing During Stroke Is a BreachClothing held against the body by a club or gripping hand is treated as if it is part of the player’s body for the purpose of applying Rule 10.1b. The concept of a free-flowing swing may not be circumvented by having something intervene between the player’s body and club or hand.

For example, if a player is wearing a rain jacket and is using a mid-length putter, and presses the club into his or her body, the player is in breach of Rule 10.1b.

Additionally, if the player deliberately uses a gripping hand to hold an article of clothing worn on any part of the body (such as holding the sleeve of a shirt with a hand) while making a stroke, there is a breach of Rule 4.3 (Prohibited Use of Equipment) since that is not its intended use and doing so might assist the player in making that stroke.10.1b/3 – Inadvertent Contact with Clothing During Stroke Is Not a BreachTouching an article of clothing with the club or gripping hand and making a stroke is allowed.

This might occur in various situations where a player:

Wears loose fitting clothes or rain gear,Has a physical size or build that causes the arms naturally to rest close to the body,Holds the club extremely close to the body, orFor some other reason touches his or her clothing in making a stroke.

That rule 10.1b can’t be enforced by anyone. Much less lazy boy users.

Sure. You can check at the practice green. But you can’t tell any other time. Not unless an official follows the group and checks each stroke And even then you can anchor when they walk away. Has anybody here ever saw a breach called ? Heard of one ? Dreamed of how it would happen ? Nope. And you won’t. So how can you call it enforceable ?

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

To me you're suggesting that a number of these players are doing one thing when the officials are looking, and another when they're not. Its hard for me to believe that they'll knowingly alter their putting stroke like that, they're trying to make every single stroke the same. Besides, you're the guy who is saying that P Reed may not have intentionally cheated, while in this thread suggesting that a number of long-putter users ARE intentionally cheating. I've suggested it before, I believe most of the guys on any of the tours have worked with officials to develop a set-up and stroke that is acceptable within the rules.