2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best tournament to go to

JPG44

> @BrandonDunes said:

> Farmers Insurance Open is always fun. Usually a great field and awesome course to see. And San Diego is a great town, plus if you get bored watching golf you can always look off into the sunset and ponder what's wrong with your golf game.

Yes this is the answer. I grew up here and it's the only tournament(s) I've been to (Farmers & '08 US Open). It's a great vacation destination for a lot of you guys stuck in winter cabin fever and itchin' for warm-ish 60's weather golf and beautiful women (ahem, if single). Or a family trip of course too. Especially for the 2021 US Open in June I would highly recommend it!

You can get really close to a lot of players on the practice putting greens and on the course with plenty of vantage points whilst taking in stunning views. All the big names usually show up.

If I could go to any tournament besides Masters it'd be the Players TPC Sawgrass.

Any major would be ideal, but I’ve had a few great experiences at both the St Jude and Tour Championship. A regular stop that is high on my list would be the Waste Management. Looks like you have to get there early, but man does it look like a good time.

Callaway Epic 10.5 - Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra F6 15.5 - Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Cobra F6 Hybrid - Matrix HQ4
23* Srixon U65 - Nippon Modus Tour105 S
5-PW Srixon Z565 - Nippon Modus Tour105 S
50* Callaway MD3
54* and 58* Callaway PM Grind
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.5

> @tiderider said:

> i would go to either the memorial or the rbc heritage in harbour town ...

These are the only two I've been to besides a PGA at Valhalla. Both are nice but at Memorial you have more chances of inclement weather. The Heritage is a great time to visit HHI. The field is not as good, that's got a lot to do with the course just not being conducive to the power game, but the RBC sponsorship has helped at least getting their guys to come. Can't go wrong with either of these.

By far the Match Play is the best experience I ever had at a men's tourney. I attended on Thursday (day 2) when it was outside of Tucson more than once. Great matches, aggressive golf, small crowds, beautiful desert. The course had a 3 hole loop 11,12, 13 that had 2 par 5's and a par 3. A whole bunch of matches would turn on those holes so if you walked along you could see major winners at the far end of the course with maybe 30 other people. You could hear the players discussing shots with the caddies and see any angle of putting you wanted. Where else could you see Tiger with so few people?

Worst experience was the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. Couldn't leave the stands to pee, and waited 3 hours at the course to board a shuttle to get to the car lot after the final round. It was so bad I wrote the USGA a thank you note because I never had to worry about ever wanting to attend their yearly clusterf### anymore.

Any women's tourney or Champions tourney is good just more low key. I hope to see the NCAA's when Greyhawk gets them.

> @JPG44 said:

> Besides the majors. Have never been to watch a PGA event. I will be going to one next year. Looking for a good one to go see. What was your favorite?

I suggest you go to any of them. They are all fun.

My favorites;

Masters (several times)

Ryder Cup

British Open at Royal St Georges

Colonial

Byron Nelson

Dell Matchplay

Atlanta PGA event (several years ago...can't remember the name)

> @JPG44 said:

> Besides the majors. Have never been to watch a PGA event. I will be going to one next year. Looking for a good one to go see. What was your favorite?

I've been to the Tour Championship a dozen times or so and it is always really well run and a fun event to attend. While there are only 30 players, it's usually the ones having the best years on tour so the level of play is good and the course is easy to get around.

If I could pick any tournament (non-major) to go to it would be Riviera. Other than Augusta National, I think Riviera is the course I would most like to see in person of the courses currently on tour.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > i would go to either the memorial or the rbc heritage in harbour town ...

>

> These are the only two I've been to besides a PGA at Valhalla. Both are nice but at Memorial you have more chances of inclement weather. The Heritage is a great time to visit HHI. The field is not as good, that's got a lot to do with the course just not being conducive to the power game, but the RBC sponsorship has helped at least getting their guys to come. Can't go wrong with either of these.

even better ... jack's place already has less machismo there than most others ... bad weather keeps even more of that element away ...

Tournaments like the majors or Ryder cup are fun just for the experience, however you don't see much golf because of how many people attend these. You also have to deal with long lines for shuttles, food, drinks etc because of how many people are there. Regular tour stops are better to view golf, less people. Easier parking, shuttles, smaller lines etc. Memorial has always been fun for me, BMW was great this year at medinah

• Like 1

I went to my first PLAYERS this year and was impressed with how well-run the event was. They are continually adding new fan areas, food options, etc. The field is always good and course is one that I grew up playing on video games so was cool to see the pros playing those holes and getting a real sense of the property, if that makes sense. Very rarely did I have an issue seeing the play/players I wanted - probably has to do with the course being built to host tournament play and spectators. But, it is the TOUR's "crown jewel" and the overall vibe was not as low key as other tournaments.

Lower-key events I've been to and enjoyed were Farmer's - but two courses so can be tough to see all the players you want to before the cut, and AT&T Byron Nelson, just because the course is so different from everywhere else they play and Wells Fargo - another really well-run event on a cool course that usually had a strong field and produces good finishes.

IF you are taking your significant other whether they want to go or not, a good Tourny to take them to is the Desert Classic.

Jan 16 - 19th La Quinta Ca.

They don't have the strongest field usually but there are enough Celebrities there playing to make it fun for the non Golfer with you.

• Like 1

Champions Tour events have become my new favorite. Seeing some great places who were big maybe 10 or 15 years ago is fun. Atmosphere is more laid back, not huge crowds. I used to love going to the Pro Am and Pebble, but no longer. Crowds on a Saturday are way too large to navigate now. Maybe on a Thursday it's manageable. Same thing with the US Opens. I've been to a few, but would rather watch on TV now.

> @farmer said:

> Colonial Invitational or whatever it's called. Good field, not too crowded, great course that is not wildly spread out, there are spots where you can watch multiple holes at one time, and pretty TCU coeds to admire.

When I was in High School, we went there just to watch the babes.

At the Memorial, you have the best of both worlds. If you want to follow certain players/groups, you can do so with few bottlenecks. If you want to stay in one spot, there are plenty that afford great views. Jack really put a lot of forethought into the design of this course for players and fans alike.

> @puttfordoux said:

> At the Memorial, you have the best of both worlds. If you want to follow certain players/groups, you can do so with few bottlenecks. If you want to stay in one spot, there are plenty that afford great views. Jack really put a lot of forethought into the design of this course for players and fans alike.

Yup, so many great places to sit and watch from.

• Like 1

I am partial to Bay Hill. And since the schedule has changed so it's right before the PLAYERS, the fields are going to be stronger. Parking for Bay Hill is pretty good. Particularly in the practice rounds where you can park right on the course (over by the 6th hole). During the event many people park at Universal and take a short 2 miles over to Bay Hill. However, you can park in any plaza in the Dr. Phillips area and Uber yourself over.

The course is very easy to walk. This will probably be the thing you'll need to get used to going to an event. It doesn't seem like much, but walking on grass and in paths that are out of the players' way can really make your feet sore by the end of the day. I recommend getting one of those foldable plastic seats if you want to follow various players.

Anyway, Bay Hill is easy to walk and it has many areas where you can watch numerous groups hit shots without moving much. My favorite place is off the #4 tee as you can see guys tee off #4, make a short walk over to watch guys tee off #6 and then watch approach shots coming in on #5. But there are a few other great places to watch as well.

The other thing is that they have bleacher seating right behind the range so you can watch guys hit balls rather comfortably. Most tournaments the fans can get close to the players on the practice greens and Bay Hill is about as close as you can get.

Finally, the area is a festive one for the tournament. The houses are filled with people having viewing parties, selling refreshments and snacks in their backyard, etc. And the course is fantastic as well with 17 and 18 being as good of a two finishing holes as you will find on Tour.

RH

• Like 1