Simple technique to make my putter feel softer?

I'm sure my putter is cast. It fits me well and I like the appearance, but I wouldn't mind if it were softer feeling and ball came off the face "less hot". Rather than getting a new one with some kind of insert etc, is there anything I can apply to face to give it some feel?

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put in ear plugs. You will think you are using a marshmallow. "Softness" is an auditory feedback. Try it if you don't believe me.

Leave the headcover on.   Sorry, had to say it.   BT

Lighter grip, center contact.

You could probably have the face milled, which would likely make it feel softer.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with NV 85
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with RIP Tour 115 
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 TVD 52M with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 58D-12 (bent to 57-11) with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM2 60M-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

Put in ear plugs. You will think you are using a marshmallow. "Softness" is an auditory feedback. Try it if you don't believe me.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

This is more of a thought than a suggestion but my putter definitely “feels” softer whenever I strike the equator of the ball on the sweet spot. In other words, I know when I’ve pured it. There is a distinct difference in feel to me when I don’t which is good feedback. Believe it or not, I’ve played golf for 25 years and it took a very recent setup change to discover that.

Ping G400 Max 9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Cobra King Speedzone 3F Tensei Blue 65s

TaylorMade V-Steel 7W GD Purple Ice 85s

Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

Ping Glide 2.0 58/8 ES
Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple-Track 2-Ball

> @PopeofTexas said:

> This is more of a thought than a suggestion but my putter definitely “feels” softer whenever I strike the equator of the ball on the sweet spot. In other words, I know when I’ve pured it. There is a distinct difference in feel to me when I don’t which is good feedback. Believe it or not, I’ve played golf for 25 years and it took a very recent setup change to discover that.

Which was what?

> @eebomb said:

> > @PopeofTexas said:

> > This is more of a thought than a suggestion but my putter definitely “feels” softer whenever I strike the equator of the ball on the sweet spot. In other words, I know when I’ve pured it. There is a distinct difference in feel to me when I don’t which is good feedback. Believe it or not, I’ve played golf for 25 years and it took a very recent setup change to discover that.

>

> Which was what?

Ah. I kinda buried the lede there! Placing the ball forward of center in my stance. I *think* that is producing an upward strike and allowing the sweet spot contact. I’ve always centered the ball and have a pretty square to square stroke.

Ping G400 Max 9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Cobra King Speedzone 3F Tensei Blue 65s

TaylorMade V-Steel 7W GD Purple Ice 85s

Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 50/12 SS

Ping Glide 2.0 58/8 ES
Odyssey Stroke Lab Triple-Track 2-Ball

> @PopeofTexas said:

> This is more of a thought than a suggestion but my putter definitely “feels” softer whenever I strike the equator of the ball on the sweet spot. In other words, I know when I’ve pured it. There is a distinct difference in feel to me when I don’t which is good feedback. Believe it or not, I’ve played golf for 25 years and it took a very recent setup change to discover that.

"Unforgiving" putters are a good thing for short putts as a means to get constant feedback nearly every hole , problem I find with (for lack of a better word) "blade" putters is loss of distance and line control on longer putts. Perimeter weighted , higher MoI putters are money on lag putts, but unfortunately other than the fact they're not dropping give essentially no feedback on short putts.

Ping Anser 2 Milled
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

Leave the headcover on.

Sorry, had to say it.

BT

• Like 1

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

What about literally putting lead tape on the putter face? Would that be legal per usga? My concern is that it would change or even come off during the round.

Ping Anser 2 Milled
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

> @JD3 said:

> What about literally putting lead tape on the putter face? Would that be legal per usga? My concern is that it would change or even come off during the round.

No, lead tape on the putter face is not allowed by the rules. It would be considered a temporary attachment that is intended to change the performance characteristics of the club, and therefore illegal. In fact, the use of any sort of tape on a club face is not permitted under the rules.

Lead tape is a permitted "external attachment" for the purpose of adding weight to the clubhead only. Even though it's a temporary attachment and would seem to violate the rules, it's expressly permitted as a device to add weight to the club head because of tradition.

TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7MC 5-6, KBS $-Taper S

TaylorMade P7MB 7-PW, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade Milled Juno proto, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

> @jll62 said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > What about literally putting lead tape on the putter face? Would that be legal per usga? My concern is that it would change or even come off during the round.

>

> No, lead tape on the putter face is not allowed by the rules. It would be considered a temporary attachment that is intended to change the performance characteristics of the club, and therefore illegal. In fact, the use of any sort of tape on a club face is not permitted under the rules.

>

> Lead tape is a permitted "external attachment" for the purpose of adding weight to the clubhead only. Even though it's a temporary attachment and would seem to violate the rules, it's expressly permitted as a device to add weight to the club head because of tradition.

Seems like an odd rule. What if I carve out a slot and fill it with elastomer? Make my steel faced putter into a common OEM setup? Or simpler yet coat it will silicone gel?

Or what about the TM wedges that allowed the entire face to be swapped, presumably as a less expensive way to keep grooves newer ? As long as it doesn't appreciably during the round I don't see what it's undermining.

Ping Anser 2 Milled
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

> @JD3 said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > > @JD3 said:

> > > What about literally putting lead tape on the putter face? Would that be legal per usga? My concern is that it would change or even come off during the round.

> >

> > No, lead tape on the putter face is not allowed by the rules. It would be considered a temporary attachment that is intended to change the performance characteristics of the club, and therefore illegal. In fact, the use of any sort of tape on a club face is not permitted under the rules.

> >

> > Lead tape is a permitted "external attachment" for the purpose of adding weight to the clubhead only. Even though it's a temporary attachment and would seem to violate the rules, it's expressly permitted as a device to add weight to the club head because of tradition.

>

> Seems like an odd rule. What if I carve out a slot and fill it with elastomer? Make my steel faced putter into a common OEM setup? Or simpler yet coat it will silicone gel?

> Or what about the TM wedges that allowed the entire face to be swapped, presumably as a less expensive way to keep grooves newer ? As long as it doesn't appreciably during the round I don't see what it's undermining.

It's all about being permanent. Milling it out and filling it with an elastomer is fine assuming you can't remove the elastomer. Coating with silicone gel would get a fail. The TM wedge faces were deemed permanent. Part of the deal was that you needed a special tool to remove them. Ever wonder why weight screws and the like use a hex wrench or special torx wrench? It because the USGA/R&A won't allow a simple bladed item or coin to be able to unscrew them. It has to be hard to remove.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to try putting with earplugs in.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Sounds like you need a new putter. Just sayin. If you are just wanted the ball to come off not as hot put a stiffer shaft in it. You’ll lose the small kick effect of the shaft. As far as applying anything to the face that is illegal. To mill out and fill is fine as long as it’s permanent but seems like a lot of work and the odds of finding a good insert material that really works is minimal at best.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4” CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5” WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5 CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0 CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

> @mogc60 said:

> Sounds like you need a new putter. Just sayin. If you are just wanted the ball to come off not as hot put a stiffer shaft in it. You’ll lose the small kick effect of the shaft. As far as applying anything to the face that is illegal. To mill out and fill is fine as long as it’s permanent but seems like a lot of work and the odds of finding a good insert material that really works is minimal at best.

What about roughing up the face a bit to prep the surface and then applying a smooth coat of relatively soft silicone epoxy across it? Sounds like a permanent change to me but maybe outside of the rules.

Ping Anser 2 Milled
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

> @JD3 said:

> > @mogc60 said:

> > Sounds like you need a new putter. Just sayin. If you are just wanted the ball to come off not as hot put a stiffer shaft in it. You’ll lose the small kick effect of the shaft. As far as applying anything to the face that is illegal. To mill out and fill is fine as long as it’s permanent but seems like a lot of work and the odds of finding a good insert material that really works is minimal at best.

>

> What about roughing up the face a bit to prep the surface and then applying a smooth coat of relatively soft silicone epoxy across it? Sounds like a permanent change to me but maybe outside of the rules.

I agree with @mogc60. Anything other than a shaft insert and/or grip change and you are beyond “simple” territory and simply need to look at new putters.