2024 Masters Discussion & Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: NEW TaylorMade P790 Irons! Check out what members are saying!

tamz3igide0o.jpg

TaylorMade gave a few lucky members a set of the all-new P790 irons before you could buy them! They are putting the new irons through their paces and will be reporting back with their thoughts on the new irons! The testers are....

@AG12

@artica

@timmy8151

Maybe a guest tester from Instagram as well?

Be sure to ask these members any questions you might have and we want to give a big THANK YOU to TaylorMade for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

> @ASN21 said:

> Fantastic initial thoughts and enjoy the sticks AG!

Thank you sir!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> I was informed I was a winner the first week of August and figured I would go and get fit at my local Roger Dunn Golf Superstore in SoCal.

Congrats and everything, but I saw the above sentence in your review and thought how could this be since the giveaway thread wasn't posted here until August 13th? I mean, Im a lefty so I'm not going to win any giveaways or testing sessions anyway, but did I miss something?

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @AG12 said:

>

> > I was informed I was a winner the first week of August and figured I would go and get fit at my local Roger Dunn Golf Superstore in SoCal.

>

> Congrats and everything, but I saw the above sentence in your review and thought how could this be since the giveaway thread wasn't posted here until August 13th? I mean, Im a lefty so I'm not going to win any giveaways or testing sessions anyway, but did I miss something?

>

>

haha yup got my dates mixed up. Wasnt the first week of August but August 19th I was notified. Good eye!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @AG12 said:

> >

> > > I was informed I was a winner the first week of August and figured I would go and get fit at my local Roger Dunn Golf Superstore in SoCal.

> >

> > Congrats and everything, but I saw the above sentence in your review and thought how could this be since the giveaway thread wasn't posted here until August 13th? I mean, Im a lefty so I'm not going to win any giveaways or testing sessions anyway, but did I miss something?

> >

> >

>

> haha yup got my dates mixed up. Wasnt the first week of August but August 19th I was notified. Good eye!

Gotcha, like I said Im a lefty so Im not gonna win anything anyway since there isnt any giveaways for us but I thought maybe I missed something I had to do to in order to enter the contest. Have fun with your new irons.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @AG12 said:

> > >

> > > > I was informed I was a winner the first week of August and figured I would go and get fit at my local Roger Dunn Golf Superstore in SoCal.

> > >

> > > Congrats and everything, but I saw the above sentence in your review and thought how could this be since the giveaway thread wasn't posted here until August 13th? I mean, Im a lefty so I'm not going to win any giveaways or testing sessions anyway, but did I miss something?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > haha yup got my dates mixed up. Wasnt the first week of August but August 19th I was notified. Good eye!

>

> Gotcha, like I said Im a lefty so Im not gonna win anything anyway since there isnt any giveaways for us but I thought maybe I missed something I had to do to in order to enter the contest. Have fun with your new irons.

Thank you sir appreciate it!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Nice review. Could you show a picture of the entire set lined up at address next to each other? So we could get a good idea of the top lines.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

@HappyGilmore22 , and for everyone else these are the address/topline photos:

**4 Iron**

wjqsj0eo7kdc.jpg

**5 iron**

rpckc0es0o4x.jpg

**6 Iron**

nyijvwdrrjvn.jpg

**7 Iron**

gbrg7dj13lbc.jpg

**8 Iron**

ktipy131f946.jpg

**9 Iron**

lp7e8gebpr4q.jpg

**Pitching Wedge**

vbdyxhc9klcw.jpg

• Like 3

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I'm just not crazy about the looks of the 8-PW. I think I could deal with it though, based on everything else they bring to the table.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Mizuno Pro 243 5-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Congratulations to the winners! While I was not a winner, I did Just got mine out today for the first round. Despite being right behind a group of 4 "Brysons", it was a great 5 hour round.

First thought... forgiving. Also, better looking than Gen1 (less offset?, haven't looked at specs, and mine are 1* weak). In general, better aesthetics.

Side note... I also really love the Lamkin Genesis Crossline Cord grips. Less abrasive and softer feel overall too. Thumbs up!

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

> @cmb71 said:

> Congratulations to the winners! Just got mine out today for the first round. Despite being right behind a group of 4 "Brysons", it was a great 5 hour round.

> First thought... forgiving. Also, better looking than Gen1 (less offset?, haven't looked at specs, and mine are 1* weak). In general, better aesthetics.

> Side note... I also really love the Lamkin Genesis Crossline Cord grips. Less abrasive and softer feel overall too. Thumbs up!

Ya I thought the same thing when I put them down at address. Seems to have little offset on them which I like. Haven't put them up against the Gen 1's though

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @cmb71 said:

> Congratulations to the winners! Just got mine out today for the first round. Despite being right behind a group of 4 "Brysons", it was a great 5 hour round.

> First thought... forgiving. Also, better looking than Gen1 (less offset?, haven't looked at specs, and mine are 1* weak). In general, better aesthetics.

> Side note... I also really love the Lamkin Genesis Crossline Cord grips. Less abrasive and softer feel overall too. Thumbs up!

How do you go from using P7TW to P790s? Total opposites lol

Titleist ProV1

Morning everyone. I was one of the lucky individuals chosen to review the new P790’s and to say I was excited is an understatement. Recently I have been bouncing back and forth between a SLS Edel set and my PXG 0311xf. So having an opportunity to test these couldn’t have come at a better time hoping this gives me comfort to stop switching.

A quick thank you to Taylormade and Golfwrx for the opportunity. I’m that guy who feels I never win, so this was extremely exciting for me. Couldn’t shut up for the rest of the day.

mgj0hvazptqv.jpeg

dd9rkxewh6di.jpeg

5ojqfavcz91r.jpeg

r1f1bpb7h5c3.jpeg

5onjr0t6c8p7.jpeg

u7dj3x1keht5.jpeg

4qti24wf5nl5.jpeg

Here are some profile specifics: I’m a 12hcp and have dabbled with a few sets the last 5 years that include Srixon 545’s, cobra forged one, PXG 0311xf’s and Edel SLS. To that end, I have enjoyed the Edel’s but can’t seem to find that Srixon 545’s replacement. I like a classic look club, with forgiveness but not too bulky but confidence that a miss hit won’t be punished.

So on to my review:

**Looks** - beautiful. It fits my eye perfectly. The color is a rich silver, has a brushed look with a little shine to it. The topline couldn’t be more perfect. It looks square and flat, so very player like and the blade length is exactly the Perfect balance between forgiving, confidence providing but also a sense of good striking abilities.

**Sound** I feel a review is only as good as the honesty coming from the individual. The sound was not something I enjoy. It’s a more of a low ping, not tingy but louder than most and more of a cast sound. I couldn’t hear a difference between a poorly hit shot and puréd shot, which I wasn’t against. It just didn’t have that stealthy sound a forged iron provides.

**distance/forgiveness** I took both my 6 iron in the Edel and PXG. Substantially longer than my Edel. I expected that and also more forgiving. I was able to hit my window and distance fairly easy. I did have a hard time fading it, my natural strike is straight and these wanted to turn left on me (I’m RH). Against my PXG they were a little shorter averaging around 180 yards (range balls), pin was at 178 and these were landing just past it routinely. Where the pxg’s landed about 5yds past the pin and some flying over the green. Accuracy, I’m a 12 so a 6 iron isn’t my most accurate iron but I did feel very consistent with them.

**overall** if I can drop my shaft in them (modus 120) I think these are my next gamers. The look is perfect, forgiveness is great and distance is also very good. While shorter than my pxg’s I was expecting that. The pxg’s I have are very big and chunky and meant for distance. The p790’s looked much better in terms of that perfect balance. The off set was also less and closer to the edel’s, this led to a more consistent strike for me. It just looked right to my eye when setting up. I felt I didn’t have to have a weak grip, I could grip it, set up and it sat a complimentary stance to my feet.

Off to the course tomorrow for a round so will have more of a review then as well. I’ll take more pics, if anything specific is needed please let me know.

• Like 3

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

Congrats to the winners and I’m loving reading the reviews!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

> @artica said:

> Morning everyone. I was one of the lucky individuals chosen to review the new P790’s and to say I was excited is an understatement. Recently I have been bouncing back and forth between a SLS Edel set and my PXG 0311xf. So having an opportunity to test these couldn’t have come at a better time hoping this gives me comfort to stop switching.

>

> A quick thank you to Taylormade and Golfwrx for the opportunity. I’m that guy who feels I never win, so this was extremely exciting for me. Couldn’t shut up for the rest of the day.

>

> mgj0hvazptqv.jpeg

> dd9rkxewh6di.jpeg

> 5ojqfavcz91r.jpeg

> r1f1bpb7h5c3.jpeg

> 5onjr0t6c8p7.jpeg

> u7dj3x1keht5.jpeg

> 4qti24wf5nl5.jpeg

>

> Here are some profile specifics: I’m a 12hcp and have dabbled with a few sets the last 5 years that include Srixon 545’s, cobra forged one, PXG 0311xf’s and Edel SLS. To that end, I have enjoyed the Edel’s but can’t seem to find that Srixon 545’s replacement. I like a classic look club, with forgiveness but not too bulky but confidence that a miss hit won’t be punished.

>

> So on to my review:

> **Looks** - beautiful. It fits my eye perfectly. The color is a rich silver, has a brushed look with a little shine to it. The topline couldn’t be more perfect. It looks square and flat, so very player like and the blade length is exactly the Perfect balance between forgiving, confidence providing but also a sense of good striking abilities.

>

> **Sound** I feel a review is only as good as the honesty coming from the individual. The sound was not something I enjoy. It’s a more of a low ping, not tingy but louder than most and more of a cast sound. I couldn’t hear a difference between a poorly hit shot and puréd shot, which I wasn’t against. It just didn’t have that stealthy sound a forged iron provides.

>

> **distance/forgiveness** I took both my 6 iron in the Edel and PXG. Substantially longer than my Edel. I expected that and also more forgiving. I was able to hit my window and distance fairly easy. I did have a hard time fading it, my natural strike is straight and these wanted to turn left on me (I’m RH). Against my PXG they were a little shorter averaging around 180 yards (range balls), pin was at 178 and these were landing just past it routinely. Where the pxg’s landed about 5yds past the pin and some flying over the green. Accuracy, I’m a 12 so a 6 iron isn’t my most accurate iron but I did feel very consistent with them.

>

> **overall** if I can drop my shaft in them (modus 120) I think these are my next gamers. The look is perfect, forgiveness is great and distance is also very good. While shorter than my pxg’s I was expecting that. The pxg’s I have are very big and chunky and meant for distance. The p790’s looked much better in terms of that perfect balance. The off set was also less and closer to the edel’s, this led to a more consistent strike for me. It just looked right to my eye when setting up. I felt I didn’t have to have a weak grip, I could grip it, set up and it sat a complimentary stance to my feet.

>

> Off to the course tomorrow for a round so will have more of a review then as well. I’ll take more pics, if anything specific is needed please let me know.

Great write up can’t wait to hear that on course review

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @akseem said:

> Really good reviews and they look fantastic. one thing though with that chart testing all the irons I don't know how many of each iron you hit but the dispersion seems crazy. A few yards different from 4 to 5 iron and about 20 yards from 9 iron to pw seems not ideal.

10 shots with each. I’m not too worried about the distance on the 9-PW as they are scoring clubs and really only factored in carry as the descent angle is good on these clubs. They do look good man really nice looking clubs both at address and in the bag. Hope you get to test them!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @akseem said:

> Really good reviews and they look fantastic. one thing though with that chart testing all the irons I don't know how many of each iron you hit but the dispersion seems crazy. A few yards different from 4 to 5 iron and about 20 yards from 9 iron to pw seems not ideal.

Yeah the distance gapping between clubs is what I'm most interested in seeing. I would like to see some numbers of PW-7 iron from someone who hits the 7 iron 180-190+ yards carry to see the distance gapping. I'm a longer hitter that likes forgiving irons like these but afraid to use because of the distance gapping and I already hit the ball really high so weakened lofts will just launch even higher.

Titleist ProV1

> @AG12 said:

> > @akseem said:

> > Really good reviews and they look fantastic. one thing though with that chart testing all the irons I don't know how many of each iron you hit but the dispersion seems crazy. A few yards different from 4 to 5 iron and about 20 yards from 9 iron to pw seems not ideal.

>

>

> 10 shots with each. I’m not too worried about the distance on the 9-PW as they are scoring clubs and really only factored in carry as the descent angle is good on these clubs. They do look good man really nice looking clubs both at address and in the bag. Hope you get to test them!

Thank you for sharing all your testing info. These will definitely be on my list when I look for new irons.

I’ll make sure to do some gap testing tomorrow. I usually get there with plenty of time to warm up so can do s 5 shot test with each. Yesterday I spent most of the time with 6 iron to get a comparison and feel for them. I did warm up with the PW and 8i before and the distances were right where I would expect them to be which for me are 130 PW and 155 8i. Again my 6i was a legitimate 180ish, and that was with range balls so once I’m using gamer ball (Kirkland 3 piece) I’m expecting around a 5% bump.

Ok, post round review since I have only had range session to get a feel for these. I’ll start with gapping, while this was on the range and with crap range balls I did want to get a feel for not distance but gaps between each iron. It rained pretty heavy last night so we were off mats. Pins were at 127, 142, 166, 191 and 221 from my stall. Greens are about 15 yds in total circumference. Pins in the middle.

jgqces1bqzqi.png

*eye balling distances based of flags

PW - carrying 140-145 (I expect 135ish)

9i - 155ish

8i - 170ish

7i - 180ish

6i - 188ish (just shy of the flag)

5i - 200ish (hit a few dead center of 191 and 221)

4i - ran out of time, I hit 3 balls with 5i only. 2 of the 3 balls landed just a little past the candy cane which represents 200yds...

*in my experiences from this I would have zero issues with gaps.

Next thing I want to review is sound. On the range with rocks the sound is awful, I might be picky but it’s a loud clack. Once I started using the Kirkland balls it was substantially different. I heard no difference from my PXG’s. The sound is also very consistent across the face. You can barely feel a mis hit but you won’t hear it.

As for feel, it’s a very nice feel. I hit some shots where they were obvious mis hits based on where they landed but I never felt it was. I’m really enjoying the feel.

Out on the course the flight is high. Zero issues launching it, and carrying the distances I needed. It was a little wet out and tend to trap the ball, so I had a few fall short but I expect that. We had a pin at 199 over a pond, pulled out the 5i, I’m expecting pin high. Flew the green, turned a little left on me but was easily 7yds past it. Point with that is, these might be longer than what today read with it being wet out.

dw9ckjr5vvm2.png

Last thing I’ll say until I use them again, I cannot get over how sexy these look at address. They line up beautifully and the flat squared top line is just perfect. You can see it changing too from 7i to 4i. The 4i with it being thicker than the 7i, but with it being flat it still looks sexy.

Should be out again Wednesday so will have more info then.

> @Pmookie said:

> Thought it was interesting that Shiels saw zero difference in numbers between this new set, and the previous model.

Doesn't seem like they changed much with them for good reason since the older P790s were so good for their target buyers. Mostly cosmetics changes in the new ones trying to get new customers to buy versus people with older P790s to buy the new ones. Based on looks alone of thinner top line and chrome they look a lot better and I'd upgrade to these if I had the older P790s though. Can't really judge something like more forgiveness in a video he makes so the newer ones could be a touch better at that but I'm not sure.

Titleist ProV1

Well played my first round with the P790s today and while my wedge game and putting let me down the irons did not. Really loving the sound/feel and have no issues holding greens with these clubs.

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND