MEMBER REVIEWS: NEW TaylorMade P790 Irons! Check out what members are saying!

> @artica said:

> Morning everyone. I was one of the lucky individuals chosen to review the new P790’s and to say I was excited is an understatement. Recently I have been bouncing back and forth between a SLS Edel set and my PXG 0311xf. So having an opportunity to test these couldn’t have come at a better time hoping this gives me comfort to stop switching.

>

> A quick thank you to Taylormade and Golfwrx for the opportunity. I’m that guy who feels I never win, so this was extremely exciting for me. Couldn’t shut up for the rest of the day.

>

> mgj0hvazptqv.jpeg

> dd9rkxewh6di.jpeg

> 5ojqfavcz91r.jpeg

> r1f1bpb7h5c3.jpeg

> 5onjr0t6c8p7.jpeg

> u7dj3x1keht5.jpeg

> 4qti24wf5nl5.jpeg

>

> Here are some profile specifics: I’m a 12hcp and have dabbled with a few sets the last 5 years that include Srixon 545’s, cobra forged one, PXG 0311xf’s and Edel SLS. To that end, I have enjoyed the Edel’s but can’t seem to find that Srixon 545’s replacement. I like a classic look club, with forgiveness but not too bulky but confidence that a miss hit won’t be punished.

>

> So on to my review:

> **Looks** - beautiful. It fits my eye perfectly. The color is a rich silver, has a brushed look with a little shine to it. The topline couldn’t be more perfect. It looks square and flat, so very player like and the blade length is exactly the Perfect balance between forgiving, confidence providing but also a sense of good striking abilities.

>

> **Sound** I feel a review is only as good as the honesty coming from the individual. The sound was not something I enjoy. It’s a more of a low ping, not tingy but louder than most and more of a cast sound. I couldn’t hear a difference between a poorly hit shot and puréd shot, which I wasn’t against. It just didn’t have that stealthy sound a forged iron provides.

>

> **distance/forgiveness** I took both my 6 iron in the Edel and PXG. Substantially longer than my Edel. I expected that and also more forgiving. I was able to hit my window and distance fairly easy. I did have a hard time fading it, my natural strike is straight and these wanted to turn left on me (I’m RH). Against my PXG they were a little shorter averaging around 180 yards (range balls), pin was at 178 and these were landing just past it routinely. Where the pxg’s landed about 5yds past the pin and some flying over the green. Accuracy, I’m a 12 so a 6 iron isn’t my most accurate iron but I did feel very consistent with them.

>

> **overall** if I can drop my shaft in them (modus 120) I think these are my next gamers. The look is perfect, forgiveness is great and distance is also very good. While shorter than my pxg’s I was expecting that. The pxg’s I have are very big and chunky and meant for distance. The p790’s looked much better in terms of that perfect balance. The off set was also less and closer to the edel’s, this led to a more consistent strike for me. It just looked right to my eye when setting up. I felt I didn’t have to have a weak grip, I could grip it, set up and it sat a complimentary stance to my feet.

>

> Off to the course tomorrow for a round so will have more of a review then as well. I’ll take more pics, if anything specific is needed please let me know.

Congrats man. How is the forgiveness compared to z545? I currently play 545 and im thinking about switching to P790.

Sorry for being late to this party but I was the 3rd winner of these beautiful irons. Like @AG12 and @artica have already said, many thanks to @TaylorMadeGolf , @GolfWRX and @knudson81 for selecting me as a winner for this contest. I've never won anything like this and I hope I can give a decent review on these clubs.

A little about my game, current Handicap is 14.6 and I would say that my iron game is about on par with my HC. My current gamers are Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals 5-PW with C-Taper Lites in Regular Flex, hardstepped once, 1/2" short. Ballflight is on the lower side and my shot shape is a slinging draw that when I am off becomes a nasty hook. From my last fitting my average 6 iron swing speed is around 79 mph which is slow for Golfwrx standards :| Based on a seasons worth of Arccos Data here are my averages with my current irons:

iurhyxhb3yva.png

As you can see , I struggle with my 5 iron and currently have a decent gap between my PW and my 9 iron. My hopes are that I can gain some distance across the board with the P790's and especially with my long irons.

So when I was notified that I had won, I was a little concerned with the specs of the P790's as the length on these irons on paper were 0.5" longer than the standard JPX 900 HM's and that didn't account for my set being 1/2" short. I was also somewhat concerned by the lie angles being on average 1* more upright than the HM's. Lastly, the shafts on these are S300's which were a bit more firm that I was used to compared to my C-Taper Lites.

With these concerns, I went to my local Cool Clubs and did one of their Loft/Lie fittings to get a baseline on these clubs. As you can see from the chart below, one of the interesting things was that the P790's that were sent to me were actually 1/2" short from standard and are only 0.25" longer per club than my current HM's. Lofts and swingweights were a bit off from club to club

32y84fldcii2.png

ay8n7gh6pjbk.png

The fitter had me hit a few balls with the P790 6 iron and my ball flight was my normal draw and when I mentioned flattening out the lie angles he recommended hitting on the course/range a little more to see if there were any tendencies on flight. Regarding the shafts, he did recommend that with my current swingspeed I should be in lightweight graphite shafts (i.e. Steelfiber i70's and similar) but I told him I wasn't sure I was ready to make that leap yet.

So now to a review of the actual clubs.

**Looks:** As the other posters have noted these are stunning irons. Definitely a sleeking looking clubs than my HM's and I love the mix of the chrome and brushed finishes. Less offset than the HM's and looks like a "players" club

**Sound/feel:** I would agree with @artica that the sound wasn't great on these clubs, especially on mishits. From my 1 range trip I got a sort of a clank/clap sound when I was a bit off

**Forgiveness/Distance:** On the Trackman at Cool Clubs 6 iron vs 6 iron between the P790's and HM's I was getting about 5 yards more carry between the clubs and had a couple of hot ones go about 10 yards

longer. I also compared the clubs using Range Balls and Top Tracer (new at my range) and didn't see much difference between models from PW-8i, but did see some gains from 7i to 5i. More testing needed here

**Next steps:** Since I have Arccos I am going to repair my sensors to the P790's and get some on-course data/averages with these clubs to see how they stack up with the HM's. If I am struggling with distance my next step will probably be to drop in some new shafts.

Let me know if you have any questions or need any other photos.

• Like 1

> @alexmyx said:

> Congrats man. How is the forgiveness compared to z545? I currently play 545 and im thinking about switching to P790.

Very close actually. The z545’s for me were probably some of the nicest, appealing, soft and most forgiving irons EVER (yup, I said ever). The P790’s are right there with them on looks and forgiveness. One element that might go unnoticed with these is how forgiving they are with how slim a profile they come in. They can be compared to the bigger GI type clubs.... it’s legit.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

> @timmy8151 said:

> Sorry for being late to this party but I was the 3rd winner of these beautiful irons. Like @AG12 and @artica have already said, many thanks to @TaylorMadeGolf , @GolfWRX and @knudson81 for selecting me as a winner for this contest. I've never won anything like this and I hope I can give a decent review on these clubs.

>

> A little about my game, current Handicap is 14.6 and I would say that my iron game is about on par with my HC. My current gamers are Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals 5-PW with C-Taper Lites in Regular Flex, hardstepped once, 1/2" short. Ballflight is on the lower side and my shot shape is a slinging draw that when I am off becomes a nasty hook. From my last fitting my average 6 iron swing speed is around 79 mph which is slow for Golfwrx standards :| Based on a seasons worth of Arccos Data here are my averages with my current irons:

>

> iurhyxhb3yva.png

>

> As you can see , I struggle with my 5 iron and currently have a decent gap between my PW and my 9 iron. My hopes are that I can gain some distance across the board with the P790's and especially with my long irons.

>

> So when I was notified that I had won, I was a little concerned with the specs of the P790's as the length on these irons on paper were 0.5" longer than the standard JPX 900 HM's and that didn't account for my set being 1/2" short. I was also somewhat concerned by the lie angles being on average 1* more upright than the HM's. Lastly, the shafts on these are S300's which were a bit more firm that I was used to compared to my C-Taper Lites.

>

> With these concerns, I went to my local Cool Clubs and did one of their Loft/Lie fittings to get a baseline on these clubs. As you can see from the chart below, one of the interesting things was that the P790's that were sent to me were actually 1/2" short from standard and are only 0.25" longer per club than my current HM's. Lofts and swingweights were a bit off from club to club

>

> 32y84fldcii2.png

> ay8n7gh6pjbk.png

>

> The fitter had me hit a few balls with the P790 6 iron and my ball flight was my normal draw and when I mentioned flattening out the lie angles he recommended hitting on the course/range a little more to see if there were any tendencies on flight. Regarding the shafts, he did recommend that with my current swingspeed I should be in lightweight graphite shafts (i.e. Steelfiber i70's and similar) but I told him I wasn't sure I was ready to make that leap yet.

>

> So now to a review of the actual clubs.

>

> **Looks:** As the other posters have noted these are stunning irons. Definitely a sleeking looking clubs than my HM's and I love the mix of the chrome and brushed finishes. Less offset than the HM's and looks like a "players" club

>

> **Sound/feel:** I would agree with @artica that the sound wasn't great on these clubs, especially on mishits. From my 1 range trip I got a sort of a clank/clap sound when I was a bit off

>

> **Forgiveness/Distance:** On the Trackman at Cool Clubs 6 iron vs 6 iron between the P790's and HM's I was getting about 5 yards more carry between the clubs and had a couple of hot ones go about 10 yards

> longer. I also compared the clubs using Range Balls and Top Tracer (new at my range) and didn't see much difference between models from PW-8i, but did see some gains from 7i to 5i. More testing needed here

>

> **Next steps:** Since I have Arccos I am going to repair my sensors to the P790's and get some on-course data/averages with these clubs to see how they stack up with the HM's. If I am struggling with distance my next step will probably be to drop in some new shafts.

>

> Let me know if you have any questions or need any other photos.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Great write up man! Very well done!

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Loving the P790's so far. Really forgiving and the ball off the face is super soft. Definitely staying as my gamers for the foreseeable future

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Another range session today and now I that initial testing is over, I decided to have a typical practice range session. Today I worked on fades with every club but spent a lot of my time with the 6i and 8i. The spin I was putting on the ball was unreal, the launch with these clubs was more evident today. My fades are typically lower than my straight and draw patterns but with the P790’s, it was barely noticeable. It might also be the shafts? I’m going to reach out to the club builder I normally use and see about having the shafts swapped for a modus 120 set, reduced in length by .5” and SS at D3-4. Pretty easy to guess that I’m sticking with these.

Took these irons out for their second round today and shot a 75 (+4) round. Keep falling in love with these things. On a handful of occasions I put a terrible swing on them and the ball flight distance and spin was just as good as a flushed shot. Even got into some tree trouble and had to hit some punch 6 iron shots and could flight the ball down super low with no issues.

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Good head to head of the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 P790

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 months later...

So curious who's still gaming these? Are you loving them? How's the wear and the distance control with many rounds under your belt? How's the overall distance and spin?

Thx!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Still loving mine. Distance control and stopping power is great thanks to the right shaft and decent angle. Really like them.

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Anyone have any feedback on the DG 105 shafts with VSS? Hows the vibration dampening and overall performance of the shaft?

Same as above poster, with the right shaft these are easily some of the best irons. The 105’s were fine but once I switched to modus 120’s it was night and day difference both in feel, launch and landing.

• Like 1

No question these irons are absolute money if you get fitted for the right shaft. No so called fliers, distance control is exactly what you want in an iron, good feedback on mishits and are holding up well. Received mine first week of September and have about 25 rounds with them and they still look new. Great set and I am very happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

Wow all the feedback seems great! I was able to pick up a set with the stock dg 105’s! I’m hoping the shaft works well