2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rapsodo Golf Launch Monitor

puresurfr

I'm very happy with my Rapsodo MLM, will soon make some comparison with the trackman of my teacher to see if number are comparable.

So far so good, it read also non full swing, clearly recording this info for the same iron will change the stats because it will average all the stroke, what I'm doing is to use the "other" iron that can be selected to compose the bag and use this for short shoot. Distance wise seems to capture those shoot quite well.

What is missing:

1) spin measurement (MEVO somehow read it so maybe it is a matter of time before a sw update will provide this)

2) you cannot export the raw data, sometime it would be much better to have this exported in a csv or similar format to do stats on top of it, you can just export video with some of the data on it but not all

3) without the extended subscription you can keep only last 100

4) sometime during session the app crash and need to be restarted

5) missing of a PC app

6) no integration with other Rapsodo product, it will be really nice if it will be able to integrate the data coming from the Rmotion product, this will give more info about the club/face position that today is missing

7) no possiblity to use it indor, and as such it is not a big problem the fact that cannot be used with simulation software

but as said for my usage on driving range I think it is a very good solution for the price.

one last point, should be seen when temperature increase how good is to use the iphone before getting the phone overheating

• 1 month later...

For low ball speed and within the spectrum of "average launch angles" yes, then its possible and easy to explain why, but higher ball speed or launch angles above the average spectrum cant be done with a accuracy within 2% without spin or Apex, its not possible.

This charts is based on Flightscopes algorithm for a ball speed of 135 mpg, equal to 90 mph with the driver and a smash factor of 1.5

If we look at a launch angle of 12, longest to shortest carry is only 5.1 yards apart, so if the unit just return the average, we are within those 2%, but if we can get a launch of 16* longest to shortest is 12 yards so we are now outside those 2% if the unit delivers the average carry as return.

RV81GBLKE0XG.pngIf we now move to a player close to PGA average or 110 mph club speed with a smashfactor of 1.5 or 165 MPH ball speed, it does not take much before we get outside those 2% with a average return value for carry. Again lets start with a launch of 12*, and we can see thats there is 18.1 yards carry from longest to shortest depending on spin, the average value give "plus minus 9 yards so its 9 / 263.9 (average carry) so now we talk 3.4%. If we move on to a launch of 16* like we did for 135 mph ball speed, longest to shortest carry is 28.4 yards and the numbers is now 14.2 / 266.7 = 5.3% if the average carry is the return value.

For 165 mph ball speed launch as low as 10* (PGA level) give 2.4% off from low to high (plus minus 6.4 yards) if return value is the average

So, my conclusion is, this unit will do the job good enough for "the average player"where ball datas is within the average or medium spectrum, but not for higher ball speeds and launch angles thats on the side of the norm, so a unit like this is not what i will bring to the course for practice since spin values is one of the factors i "need to know" to get it right.

J9SP21DTDUWK.png

If any of you have seen a side by side test against MEVO i would like to see it, im in the marked myself for a small low priced but still functional LM, but dont know how much i actually have to pay to get it to the level i find acceptable. (long time Trackman user - hard to please, i know)

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

i did not have any charts for IRONs at hand, so i used LPGA and PGA average as basis and the #8 iron with the same ball speed and Launch angle, but spin values from 5000 to 9000.

LPGA or 100 mph ball speed with a launch of 21 will vary plus minus 3.6 yards or 2.7%, while PGA with 115 BS and 18* launch will vary plus minus 5.9 yards or 3.7%, so within the "norm" for spin rates it will be below 2%, but if spin is outside the normal spectrum, those 2% is no longer enough, but the input from above talks up to 4% and thats a more correct number here.

ALL this numbers takes for granted that the unit is able to judge launch angle correct, if not it want be able to be within 4% either, so my question is now, how good is it to judge launch and ball speed?

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 6 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, artchou said:

Hey, this is Art Chou with Rapsodo. Thanks for being one of our early customers. I'm hoping I can help you with your data; I've personally conducted a bunch of our robot testing down at GolfLabs and would be really shocked if your distances are way off. My guess is there is something in your settings; maybe the units are off or something. In general we've been 2-4% max variance from Trackman depending on the club. Please contact me at [email protected] and I can take a look at your data. Also, go back into Sessions on your Rapsodo app and send me a screen shot of your last session. Really hope I can help!

Hey Art, I grabbed my Rapsodo yesterday and for some reason it’s not charging. Battery % is stuck at 43% so it won’t let me update the firmware. Any ideas? Have a note into customer support, but Was hoping to get it out on the range this weekend. Thought maybe you’d have a quick thought. Thanks in advance!

EDIT/UPDATE: Returned the unit for another and it seems the first was just a bad battery of some sort. Second one charged right up, and updated the firmware without issue. 

Edited by Duffner's Waggle

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any recent feedback?   I am thinking about getting this device now that they've added the net/indoor functionality?   Overall, is the device still giving you the information that you want?   Particular wondering about the shot dispersion feature and overall impression of new indoor feature.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, prospect026 said:

Does anyone have any recent feedback?   I am thinking about getting this device now that they've added the net/indoor functionality?   Overall, is the device still giving you the information that you want?   Particular wondering about the shot dispersion feature and overall impression of new indoor feature.

I just received the MLM yesterday and I’m very frustrated so far. Tried for hours in my yard into the net yesterday (net setting with iPhone XR) and yardages were off by 30-40 yards. Club head speed is way off too. I recently did some gapping on Trackman and know my numbers well. Used a tape measure and level to make sure setup was perfect. Every setting is correct. Still off. Really bought this for the advertised “net” feature as I hoped to use this all winter. Then took it to the range today (outdoor setting) and it was still reading everything short by up to 40 yards! I know my yardages well and have lasered every flag at the range. I’m watching my 7i fly over the 150 flag and the device is showing me 117 carry yards. Same with driver. Carried the 225 marker and it tells me TOTAL carry and roll was 217. I have about 7 total hours messing around with this and I’m extremely frustrated. It’s a very simple device, so not much to get wrong, but I’m giving up. I’ve watched many videos that show great results, but I can’t find anything that I’m doing incorrectly. Has some great features and want to like it, but it’s just too far off. That’s my take. 

20 hours ago, alpjr2000 said:

I just received the MLM yesterday and I’m very frustrated so far. Tried for hours in my yard into the net yesterday (net setting with iPhone XR) and yardages were off by 30-40 yards. Club head speed is way off too. I recently did some gapping on Trackman and know my numbers well. Used a tape measure and level to make sure setup was perfect. Every setting is correct. Still off. Really bought this for the advertised “net” feature as I hoped to use this all winter. Then took it to the range today (outdoor setting) and it was still reading everything short by up to 40 yards! I know my yardages well and have lasered every flag at the range. I’m watching my 7i fly over the 150 flag and the device is showing me 117 carry yards. Same with driver. Carried the 225 marker and it tells me TOTAL carry and roll was 217. I have about 7 total hours messing around with this and I’m extremely frustrated. It’s a very simple device, so not much to get wrong, but I’m giving up. I’ve watched many videos that show great results, but I can’t find anything that I’m doing incorrectly. Has some great features and want to like it, but it’s just too far off. That’s my take. 

Thanks for the response.   Did you have to calibrate the device?  I read somewhere that someone was having calibration issues that caused errors so just wondering if it's the something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody knows anybody looking for one, send em my way. 

I have heard mixed results on the Net settings. Some seems to love it and have good success, others have been less enthused. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got mine yesterday and now have played around with it for 2 days.  I love that it records video of every shot.  Out of the box, I am having the same issues with low ball speed as others have reported.  I am hitting into a net that is 8ft away from the ball and the unit is 7 ft away from me.  Tomorrow, I will try a manual calibration and play around with the placement some more.   I am really looking for a unit I can use outside hitting into a net as I don't currently have access to a driving range. I'm not a long hitter, so it's not like I am looking for accurate 400 yard drives. My flushed 5 iron carries 170-175yds based on real life and other sims I have used.  I even broke out 

I did get an email from the company's customer service noting that they noticed that my unit had failed or register a few of my swings and that I should contact them for a additional support if needed.  

1. Thanks for proactively reaching out.

2. I assume it was because it was turned on to public instead of private mode.

3. Thank you  for not making fun of my swing.  🙂

19 hours ago, kyle75 said:

Can you use Almost Golf Balls with the Rapsodo?

Yep. I just tried it with a couple I had lying around. Picked up my swing speed and recorded my swing. Obviously all of the distance measurements will be off since the ball speed measurements will be inaccurate due to the ball.  Instructions say that you should use a white ball but since my ball speed is so off and heading into the net I don’t think it will matter if you’re going to use an Almost Golf ball or other foam balls. 

1 hour ago, CAGOFORIT said:

Yep. I just tried it with a couple I had lying around. Picked up my swing speed and recorded my swing. Obviously all of the distance measurements will be off since the ball speed measurements will be inaccurate due to the ball.  Instructions say that you should use a white ball but since my ball speed is so off and heading into the net I don’t think it will matter if you’re going to use an Almost Golf ball or other foam balls. 

Thanks you.  I am going to use real balls for my wedges, but was thinking about using Almost Golf balls for my woods.  I am just interested in the club head speed with those for indoor and I get a little nervous hitting regular balls in my garage with my driver.

1 hour ago, kyle75 said:

Thanks you.  I am going to use real balls for my wedges, but was thinking about using Almost Golf balls for my woods.  I am just interested in the club head speed with those for indoor and I get a little nervous hitting regular balls in my garage with my driver.

You're welcome.  I don't blame you.  I have 3 layers of netting because I like to hit real golf balls, but have put balls through single nets in the past. Eventually they will wear out and fail.  

• 2 weeks later...

Final Post. At the end of the day, I am not sure if I am going to keep it.  I appear to have reached the end of their ability/desire to assist me with getting this dialed in.  

I asked for some more clarification, and I got a generic response in return.   

I provided this information and asked for clarification.

Hi,

I have tried on both cloudy and sunny days.  Admittedly, where I have my setup, the sun shine directly into the camera so I have tried to test later in the day or in the morning.  I have also measured out the distances with a tape measure.  I am not setup 9 ft from the net, and have tried with the MLM at various distances, angles, positions behind me.  Distance from the ball to the MLM is between 6-8ft for my testing.  I am still getting very low numbers compared to what I get when I visit the golf shops and the distances are still off compared to real life.  

Would it be possible to get the assumptions for each club?  ie. Since you don't provide spin, what are those assumptions?  Also does assumed loft for each club matter or is that all washed out in the launch angle?

I still have not had a chance to test on the range so all of my testing has been into a net which is the primary use case for my purchasing your device.  Any additional feedback would be appreciated.  

Also, how does the from camera relate to tracking the shot if it uses radar?

I got this in response.

I would like to inform you our team is consistently working on updating the MLM app net accuracy for players at any given playing level and we appreciate your patience while we continue to test and update the app to increase consistent accuracy. The whole team is focused on this issue right now and we want it to be resolved as soon as possible. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Tugce,
Rapsodo Customer Support Team

Would like to throw my 2 cents in here, having just tried out my MLM for the first time yesterday (in net mode outdoors)...

1. Great for what it is trying to be. Did it miss a few shots? Sure. But I knew when it did so I could delete those from the data. Or worst case a few times it just didn't pick it up. Oh well.

2. Mainly hit 6 irons and they were consistently showing 175-180 which is what I would expect. There were a few dead mishits and it seemed to pick up on those.

3. Tried hitting some 75-100 yard wedges and it seemed quite accurate on those. Want to test this a little more as it could be the best benefit.

Obviously only one session, but super happy with it as of now.

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway Epic Flash 3W
Callaway X-Forged '18 UT 18 degree
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58

Bettinardi BB1F

I’ve had this a month now and only use it outside (iPhone 7).  So far numbers seem right but my only gripe is the app shuts down randomly.  Their support suggested I shut down all apps running in the background, which I did but it still shut down.  They then asked me how much memory I have available on the phone (4 GB available).  Escalated to “we will get back to you after discussing at our next meeting”.

I'm tempted to return it and won’t buy a new iPhone just for this MLM.

I have had mine for a week. Tried it 2 times in a dome, once into a net tonight. Battery “dies” in like 40 minutes then when I plug it in, shows 90%. Distances are off by at least 20yds with 7i, 30-40yds with 4i. I thought maybe it was just me so I had a Jr. golfer that was in the stall next to me try it. 170yd club went 150. I have emailed back and forth a few times...at this point I have 0 confidence in the MLM. 

i have tried moving the mlm closer, further, right, left. I also put it directly on the ground, on a 2” lift and 4” lift. I keep trying to “fix” the setup. 

it is detrimental to a practice session when you are just chasing numbers because they are so far off. 

We will see what they say monday in reply to my email. At this point I think i’d rather just get a refund. I thought this might be the best option based on other reviews, that thought has quickly faded.

I am scared to think how far the video’s on their social media actually hit the ball if their machines work as terribly as mine does.

• 1 month later...

Glad I'm not crazy.  There is value there, but distances into a net are WAY off.   7 iron I've hit for years 150 shows 110-120.  Same for shorter irons.  I have a top tracer range nearby that Ive been hitting on quite a bit the last year.

Shows my 7 iron at 153 with hundreds of balls hit.  I do appreciate the overhead view after a hitting session, along with clubhead speed and left or right direction.  Just a bummer regarding distances.  Spoke w customer service

but they basically said I was wrong  Ok....  I just make sure I hit the top tracer range every couple weeks to confirm distances with each club.  And by the way, I do have the updated software app along with  moving the net and unit

around with no change.

• 1 year later...