Driver shaft - best bang for the buck... to you?

SpeedyPro

I recently got into a new hobby - shaft experimenting

To me, especially driver shaft experimenting is most fun.

I haven't tried anything under $30, but I haven't tried anything over $400 either.

To me, Aldila NV green (new version) 55g has been best bang for the buck - long, feels good, etc.

What's your best bang for the buck driver shaft?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would definitely say that second and third generation Diamanas are huge bang for the buck. Ahina/Kai'li's and B-series/W-series can be had quite cheap, often much cheaper than the first generation or any of the newer offerings obviously. The same goes for the Project X LZ Handcrafted shafts which were top dollar new and now can be had under $100, even under $75, all day.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

i would say it like this, ALL shaft models who was top notch when they came to the marked and proved their quality, is still top notch, and thats goes all the way back to True Temper EI 70 and later Graffaloy PRO-Lites.

What fits each player is a different ball game, but if you find a classic with the right flex and profile, they are most likely a bargain vs "the latest" models out there.

The profiles that i like is Pro-Lite evo versions, my favorite so far is Grafalloy RED AXIS where everything feels just right in a driver to me, and it was top of the line from Grafalloy when it came, and there is no "best before" date stamped on it or any of the other, so i have no plans to change it, even if the shaft is close to 10 years now.

Agree on any old Diamanas.. same applies for any Speeder TS, Speeder Evos, Project X Handcrafted, UST V2, majority of 10 yr old ACCRAs, Fubukus, older Kuro Kages.. spotted a few Fuji Pro TS' for under $40..

I play the Speeder Evo I 757 in FW which I just found for $49. Also like the Fuji Pro 53 which I played in an M2 for years which can be found for $50. Biggest waste of money ever spent was on a new Oban. Second biggest waste of money has been has been any Project X made in last three years.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

For me, the best bang for my buck has always been a V2. I seemed to (at least at the time) hit those things on a rope all day long especially in fairway woods and hybrids. A close second is the Ping Tour shafts (since they are free), I always hit those awesome too in every club I've used them in. Ping Tour shafts can be had brand new with a tip and grip for less than a $100 CAD and the USTs you can find a bunch of clubs for cheap on eBay, pull the shaft, and then you have a head you can turn around and sell again.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I bought a Wilson Triton for $49!! Chucked the head and kept the Rogue. Its been a great shaft!

F9 Ventus Black 6x

Epic Speed 3w Rogue 125 70

Vsteel 5w Fuji 7W06

Vsteel 7w Attas T2 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland RX4 PW PX LZ 6.0
Scratch 8620 56* x100
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

For a driver my favorites are Grafalloy Prolite 35, Aldila NV, Pro Force V2, Diamana Whiteboard and 'ahina, Fujikura Motore F1

For fairway woods, Aldila VS Proto and Voodoo VS, Diamana Blueboard and Kai'li, Fujikura Motore F3, and the old blue Project X Tour Issue.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Attas Elements MK and currently the Diaman 'Ahina. Found both for about $60. Used the Elements MK all season, and I just recently purchased the 'Ahina. It spins slightly less than the MK, so I can play my M3 at 9.5* instead of lowering the loft down like I had to with the MK. Lowering the loft with the MK made my miss to the right on bad days or when I'm tired even worse.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM2 set 1 click lower- Diamana Limited D+ White 70s (Tour sleeve) or AV Raw White 65s (non tour sleeve)

Fairway: Taylormade SIM2 3 wood (shaft TBD) and Radspeed Tour 5w turned up to 18.5* (Shaft TBD, but Motore F1 is solid)
Irons:  Adams 23* Super 9031 (Proforce Tour Weight Iron shaft), 5-PW Srixon ZX7:  All shafted with DGTI s400
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore Wedges (All Raw with DGTI s400 shafts) 48* bent to 49*, 52* Mid bent to 53*, 56* Mid bent to 58*...58* Vokey SM8 D grind   

Putter: White Hot OG 7s with Stability Tour Black or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Rogue Tour, Old Diamana, Aldila NV, Fujikura PRO or XLR8 - all can be had under $40 a shaft and are fairly recent models (2015+)

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / Apex 21 4 + RIP 100  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin 

> @Darth_Blader said:

> I bought a Wilson Triton for $49!! Chucked the head and kept the Rogue. Its been a great shaft!

I've got one of those Triton Rogue's and love it. The standard Rogue Silver is excellent too and quite affordable. Maybe not as cheap as some of the other shafts being mentioned in this thread but affordable none the less.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

Got my first driver fitting in late 2008. Since then, clubs and shafts:

* Calla HyperX Tour, 10.5° (bonded) with Fuji 360 Fit-On / R-flex and 68 grams (Note: 0.350" tip!)

* Calla Razr Fit, 9.5° (adjustable) with Aldila NV RIPd R-flex and 60 grams (self-fitted)

* Calla XR 16 Pro, 10.5° (adjustable) with Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 / R-flex and 62 grams

The two Fuji shafts - both available among stock offerings - seem to have worked the best.

After a happy Season #1 with RazrFit, I started having various control problems - adjustment tweaks never resolved for than a month at a time. RazrFit would probably have worked better with 10.5° head - only adjustments possible were face angle - open, standard and closed - and shifting head weights. Even with heavy weight on toe, I still had recurring problems with hooks.

With the Fuji shafts I could feel if I was _in tempo_ or not. I have gone to a semi-flat swing after being way too upright for years, and I can feel the Fujis load as I sweep back and then unload going into impact - if transition is smooth.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> Rogue Tour, Old Diamana, Aldila NV, Fujikura PRO or XLR8 - all can be had under $40 a shaft and are fairly recent models (2015+)

The rogue Tour is the one that looks like the Rogue silver yeah? Anyone know what the profile is like?

For me I think the KKDC silver TS proto is a good shaft and can be had new on ebay for $40/50

> @Poolparty said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > Rogue Tour, Old Diamana, Aldila NV, Fujikura PRO or XLR8 - all can be had under $40 a shaft and are fairly recent models (2015+)

>

> The rogue Tour is the one that looks like the Rogue silver yeah? Anyone know what the profile is like?

>

> For me I think the KKDC silver TS proto is a good shaft and can be had new on ebay for $40/50

Yeah, there's a Rogue Tour Green and Blue, its got the 'microchip' graphics by the handle. One is HL and one is LL

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TSi2 17.25 + AD HD 7 / TSi2 20.25 + AD MJ 8 / Apex 21 4 + RIP 100  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin 

HZRDUS yellow has been money for me. Best $90 I have spent in a while.

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

My answer would be the NV and VS Proto shafts, depending on which of the two profiles I'm needing at that point in time. Have used both with a fair amount of success over the last decade or more...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> i would say it like this, ALL shaft models who was top notch when they came to the marked and proved their quality, is still top notch, and thats goes all the way back to True Temper EI 70 and later Graffaloy PRO-Lites.

>

> The profiles that i like is Pro-Lite evo versions, my favorite so far is Grafalloy RED AXIS where everything feels just right in a driver to me, and it was top of the line from Grafalloy when it came, and there is no "best before" date stamped on it or any of the other, so i have no plans to change it, even if the shaft is close to 10 years now.

I am also a fan of the Prolite family of shafts - I still have a driver with the original Prolite in the awesome, stealthy black color - works well for me.

Diamana Blue 65 regular in my 909! Im a prolaunch blue guy.Also just got an Illima 61? Regular with 910 tip to try in 4 wood.Also looking ex cally x2hot aldilla tourblue like then too.So smooth stable midhi launch

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Diamana kai'li is still an excellent shaft. Kuro Kage Proto Tini is also very good.

DR: Searching.......

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 52°/56°/60° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.