2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

High School Golf Thread

Here in Ky, we started matches in August and have been playing since.  Our District is Sept. 21, Region Sept. 28 and State after that.  We play 5 and count 4 as well.....most of the time Coach will take 6 kids on the Varsity Squad as our 4-6 are always swapping spots weekly, of course only top 4 scores are counted.  Once District & Region get here its only Top 5 going though.

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

My Kids team has played twice and is 2-0.  First match won 148-170.  Second Match won 151-178-230.  Our number 1 player has been suspended from the team for the first two weeks of the season and his score hasn't counted yet.  My kid has shot even par in both matches and has been medalist once and co-medalist with another teammate in the second match.  We play 5/6 and count 4 scores.

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, cubuffs said:

First match in New Hampshire was yesterday (the family moved from TN in January).  Strange format - play 8 and count 5 (this will change when we get to the State Tourney where 5 play for 4 scores).  

May have spoken a bit too soon.  After playing their first match and my Son shooting -2 to medal, we were informed this weekend that our school district has instituted a rule that will not allow anyone playing a fall sport to play on any club or non-school related team due to Covid.  This right now is being interpreted that there is no ability to play in a weekend tournament even though this as an individual (i.e. Hurricane Tour, US Challenge Cup, AJGA, etc...).  We are currently signed up to play in a US Challenge Cup event this weekend with 80+, and were planning on playing in the HJGT NE Regional at Bethpage the week before the NH State HS Championship.  I have talked to the AD and hope that there may be some understanding given to golf, but if not, my Son has already mentioned he wants to play the tournament schedule and forgo the season.     

Edited by cubuffs
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, cubuffs said:

May have spoken a bit too soon.  After playing their first match and my Son shooting -2 to medal, we were informed this weekend that our school district has instituted a rule that will not allow anyone playing a fall sport to play on any club or non-school related team due to Covid.  This right now is being interpreted that there is no ability to play in a weekend tournament even though this as an individual (i.e. Hurricane Tour, US Challenge Cup, AJGA, etc...).  We are currently signed up to play in a US Challenge Cup event this weekend with 80+, and were planning on playing in the HJGT NE Regional at Bethpage the week before the NH State HS Championship.  I have talked to the AD and hope that there may be some understanding given to golf, but if not, my Son has already mentioned he wants to play the tournament schedule and forgo the season.     

I get that they are trying to create some sort of bubble but they are going to ruin the school’s golf team if that’s the case. Hope you guys get it worked out. 

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

2 hours ago, cubuffs said:

The Live Free or Die State appears to need a new monicker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

I get that they are trying to create some sort of bubble but they are going to ruin the school’s golf team if that’s the case. Hope you guys get it worked out. 

Thanks - I am hoping cooler heads prevail.  The shame, the team has a really good to chance to win the state tourney - and the whole team is very young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cubuffs said:

Yes, afraid the new moniker may be "overreact and avoid any liability"... 

Could you imagine paying big bucks to send your kid to St. Paul's or Phillips Exeter for hockey, golf or whatever (plus academics, of course) and then be told a fair portion of your schedule (in Maine, Mass, VT,NY, RI) is deleted?  Not sure how they're working that, but I can't imagine.

• Like 1

Do other states allow middle school aged kids play high school golf? JB Holmes supposedly played in Kentucky as a 3rd grader. In AZ, kids only have 4 years of eligibility and have to be enrolled in the school.

As for the OP, high school golf has started for some schools in AZ. 

Edited by bdecena
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, cubuffs said:

How can a school district dictate what you do outside of a school function?  So you can't practice at your local course or one across town?  You can't travel 100 miles to play with an Uncle at their exclusive private club?  Sounds like a lawsuit or threat of one.

I do agree.  I would forgo HS golf.  This is sad and hate to hear this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bdecena said:

Do other states allow middle school aged kids play high school golf? JB Holmes supposedly played in Kentucky as a 3rd grader. In AZ, kids only have 4 years of eligibility and have to be enrolled in the school.

It depends on how the high school association is set up.  If you go to a school that is K-12 on one campus I can see it happening.  If the school are split to elementary, middle, and high it will not.  As an example there is a school in our area Lincoln Park Academy.  They are a public school with 6-12 on one campus.  6th graders are allowed to play on the team.  Down the road is Ft. Pierce Central that is 9-12.  The feeder middle school kids cannot play.

I have to be honest.  I'm glad the high school was put on hold for us.  It has always come right in the middle of Junior golf.

The coach has the kids practicing everyday.  The last two years it has left my son exhausted (practice, invitational, junior golf).  This year he has only had to worry about his own tournament schedule.

My daughter (Whoa).  Usually the girls team is a social exercise and fun.  A lot of 9 hole matches. 

The coach as well has them practicing, but there is no structure.  Without high school she has excelled.  She played her first 36-hole event before Labor day.  Just played another PKBT event this past Sunday.  Playing this weekend and a 36 hole event for PKGT the following weekend.

Honestly, another topic is how can I get her to stop.

She has dropped 15-20 strokes since May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, cubuffs said:

Yes, afraid the new moniker may be "overreact and avoid any liability"... 

10 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

How can a school district dictate what you do outside of a school function?  So you can't practice at your local course or one across town?  You can't travel 100 miles to play with an Uncle at their exclusive private club?  Sounds like a lawsuit or threat of one.

Now why would the school district worry about getting sued??  lol

• Like 3

On 9/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, bdecena said:

In Ky, a few years ago they changed the age/grade requirement for High School sports...must be in 7th grade to compete on High School teams. 

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

On 9/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, cubuffs said:

Thanks - I am hoping cooler heads prevail.  The shame, the team has a really good to chance to win the state tourney - and the whole team is very young.

Hear anything yet?

What happens if you just stick a middle finger up at them and do it anyway?  

On 9/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, heavy_hitter said:

So an update.  Following a conversation with the AD, sending the protocols that the tournament will follow, and the fact the tournament this weekend takes place in the state of NH, they have decided to let my son (and one of his teammates who is the team captain) play this weekend with no eligibility issues for the remainder of the season.  They did ask that my son not play in the NE Regional HJGT event in NY which I (reluctantly) agreed to since this will be the week before the state championship.  

To your point above Heavy - I did mention that I thought they were proceeding down a very slippery slope in regulating individuals and activity outside of school (i.e. does this mean someone can't take piano or singing lessons, and the fact that players are safer in a controlled tournament than they would be a in a casual round). 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cubuffs said:

So an update.  Following a conversation with the AD, sending the protocols that the tournament will follow, and the fact the tournament this weekend takes place in the state of NH, they have decided to let my son (and one of his teammates who is the team captain) play this weekend with no eligibility issues for the remainder of the season.  They did ask that my son not play in the NE Regional HJGT event in NY which I (reluctantly) agreed to since this will be the week before the state championship.  

To your point above Heavy - I did mention that I thought they were proceeding down a very slippery slope in regulating individuals and activity outside of school (i.e. does this mean someone can't take piano or singing lessons, and the fact that players are safer in a controlled tournament than they would be a in a casual round). 

Here is the point I would have made.  Any family could drive to New York for a Family reunion and they would be eligible to play.  There is laughing, hugging, touching, and you know half of the people or even more won't wear a mask.  I know that in my family no one would wear a mask.  Yet you go to a golf tournament where there are protocols and social distancing but would be ineligible.  That is absolutely insane to think that a school district thinks they can have that much control.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Here is the point I would have made.  Any family could drive to New York for a Family reunion and they would be eligible to play.  There is laughing, hugging, touching, and you know half of the people or even more won't wear a mask.  I know that in my family no one would wear a mask.  Yet you go to a golf tournament where there are protocols and social distancing but would be ineligible.  That is absolutely insane to think that a school district thinks they can have that much control.

And next on the tee Heavy Jr.  BTW son have you or family in the past 14 days experienced any of the following?

Fever or chills
•had symptoms of acute respiratory illness
□Cough
□Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
□Fatigue
□Muscle or body aches
□Headache
□New loss of taste or smell
□Sore throat
□Congestion or runny nose
□Nausea or vomiting

Have you traveled out of state.

NO to all.

Ok Young man swing away.

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

And next on the tee Heavy Jr.  BTW son have you or family in the past 14 days experienced any of the following?

Fever or chills
•had symptoms of acute respiratory illness
□Cough
□Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
□Fatigue
□Muscle or body aches
□Headache
□New loss of taste or smell
□Sore throat
□Congestion or runny nose
□Nausea or vomiting

Have you traveled out of state.

NO to all.

Ok Young man swing away.

This is the exact reason people are pulling their kids from public schools.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

thought about moving the son to IMG in Florida.  Mom said no.

I am not a fan of IMG and their school.  It's super expensive last I heard it's 80k a year.  If you have a national golf program and get a free ride then maybe the numbers makes sense. For 80k a year you can live on a golf course and send you kid to a nice school almost anywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I am not a fan of IMG and their school.  It's super expensive last I heard it's 80k a year.  If you have a national golf program and get a free ride then maybe the numbers makes sense. For 80k a year you can live on a golf course and send you kid to a nice school almost anywhere.

This is true.  It was just a passing thought. The school system is virtual probably until my daughter graduates.

If we had elementary kids they would be in private system right now.  I talk to each of my high schoolers and non wanted to move.

I wouldnt do IMG.  There is another IMG like place here in VA.  I probably would have sent him.

He has two offers from NAIA schools, so now its just a matter of which one is the best fit.

• Like 2

We live near img and my son has played in their tournaments.    He also has a high school teammate who just transferred out of img and currently plays on my sons hs team.    Few free to dm for more insight.    The program is not for everyone , but their facilities , resources are as good as any on the Planet. 

• Like 2

My Kid's school played the toughest competition they will face in the regular season yesterday.  We shot a +4 148 and lost by two strokes.  This was without our number 1 (this is arguable because there are three kids that could play number 1).  We were winning coming down the stretch and our number 4 and number 5 both double bogeyed the last hole.  My kid was still medalist with a -1 35.  I told him on Wednesday night that him and the kid playing #2 would both have to go at least 2 under to win, and I was right.  The funny thing is, the other team only has two kids that would make our playing roster with or without the kid that played.  One would be the #1 B,C, or D.  The other is a senior that would play our #5 spot.

This team plays in our invitational in a couple of weeks.  I think we beat them up pretty bad.  We played at their home course and it is a pretty easy course that they get to play on every day.  Our course is tight.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 3

Edited by weavej1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag