College Athletes being allowed to get paid

kekoa

> @leezer99 said:

> > @BiggErn said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @BertGA said:

> > > > I’m not at all convinced a legislative act will change the regional power balance in college athletics. If I’ve seen one thing in my life, it’s that people in power/money do anything they possibly can to maintain that status.

> > > >

> > > > It’s gonna take much more to shift the balance of power in college football.

> > >

> > > You're talking about the state with the largest GDP in the US and 5th in the world on its own. The NCAA doesn't have the leverage to bully CA into anything. CaSA (The California Sports Authority - TM pending) will be the de facto NFL proving ground.

> >

> > It’s also a state that bans plastic straws, hands out needles, and taxes cow farts among other asinine things. Dang maybe that’s it, find another way to stick their hands in someone else’s pockets. They can pass it if they want and you can have a few colleges playing for state championship that will no longer be part of the ncaa.

>

> @BiggErn I don't think you understand how irrelevant the NCAA will be if this happens. Enjoy watching high school varsity football in a few years because that's the last time you'll see any star players before they turn pro.

Lol. I guess they'll just sit on their hands for 3 years after they graduate high school.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > >

> > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > >

> > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> >

> > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> >

> >

>

> My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

They sort of do... I know if you go into a position in my industry with multiple Masters or a Doctorate the pay rate is higher than if you don't have them.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > >

> > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > >

> > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > >

> > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

>

> They sort of do... I know if you go into a position in my industry with multiple Masters or a Doctorate the pay rate is higher than if you don't have them.

I cannot speak to your industry specifically, but employers typically don't pay more for just having the degrees but doing the same job as someone without the degree. The advanced degrees typically allow for having a role with greater/different responsibilities than someone without.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > >

> > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > >

> > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> >

> > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> >

> >

>

> My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> @2bGood said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > >

> > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > >

> > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > >

> > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

>

> That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

>

> But all that does not really matter as it not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

>

> For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

>

>

>

>

Agree with this sentiment. If you spent the same amount of time honing your skills on a sport as you would on education, you can pursue a career that's far less risky when it comes to making money. In fact, I would argue that it's more likely making millions in certain industries than it is becoming a professional athlete. On the flip side, I think pursuing a passion is key and if that passion happens to be a sport, then they should be encouraged to pursue that passion.

> @yellowlover519 said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > >

> > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > >

> > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> >

> > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> >

> > But all that does not really matter as it not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> >

> > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Agree with this sentiment. If you spent the same amount of time honing your skills on a sport as you would on education, you can pursue a career that's far less risky when it comes to making money. In fact, I would argue that it's more likely making millions in certain industries than it is becoming a professional athlete. On the flip side, I think pursuing a passion is key and if that passion happens to be a sport, then they should be encouraged to pursue that passion.

Yes I agree with that. I played college sports. I had no illusions that I would go pro and I only had a partial scholarship. No regrets doing it, despite that fact it was not the most lucrative use of my time.

> @cwglum said:

> Have never agreed that any college athlete should be paid. If you want to get a paycheck, go Pro. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough to go pro and agree to the terms and conditions offered to you in a scholarship, get your education and say thank you for the opportunity.

u are required to jump through hoops (year of college etc.) to go pro in most of the leagues athletes are aiming for.

its a bad system. for many many reasons that a lot of people in good situations can't seem to relate to.

This is a political thread.

IBTL

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

> @extrastiff said:

> > @cwglum said:

> > Have never agreed that any college athlete should be paid. If you want to get a paycheck, go Pro. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough to go pro and agree to the terms and conditions offered to you in a scholarship, get your education and say thank you for the opportunity.

> u are required to jump through hoops (year of college etc.) to go pro in most of the leagues athletes are aiming for.

> its a bad system. for many many reasons that a lot of people in good situations can't seem to relate to.

> This is a political thread.

> IBTL

If getting a paycheck is the most immediate priority ... H.S. basketball players can forego college and play pro ball in Europe. Unless I've misinterpreted the few articles I've read, H.S. Football players can also forego college and play in the Canadian or Arena Football League should they choose to do so. Agreed that current NCAA isn't an ideal system, but what is an ideal system that allows participation for 98% of athletes that will never go pro? Those who play college sports make the choice to do so.

Many div 1 football athletes on full scholarships also receive a cash stipend fro their schools on top of it. I know Wisconsin does this. The player I am familiar with receives $400 per week.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Just my overall take on this and paying college athletes in general. IMO it is simply first, not a sustainable idea, and second will overall hurt non superstar athletes.

To elaborate; based on equality rules this will end up applying to all sports and at least all DI and DII programs, probably DIII. So, to my first point how is a small DIII school gonna pay their football players let alone a sport that generate zero or negative revenue?

Now what if they restrict the sports that get paid or maybe what schools can pay? and this is held up in the courts. Now this plays into my second point. You're going to have kids only playing the big sports in hopes of making money. Also, you are going to have players who could start at a smaller school say DII instead take the money to ride the bench at a D1 power.

> @cwglum said:

> > @extrastiff said:

> > > @cwglum said:

> > > Have never agreed that any college athlete should be paid. If you want to get a paycheck, go Pro. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough to go pro and agree to the terms and conditions offered to you in a scholarship, get your education and say thank you for the opportunity.

> > u are required to jump through hoops (year of college etc.) to go pro in most of the leagues athletes are aiming for.

> > its a bad system. for many many reasons that a lot of people in good situations can't seem to relate to.

> > This is a political thread.

> > IBTL

>

> If getting a paycheck is the most immediate priority ... H.S. basketball players can forego college and play pro ball in Europe. Unless I've misinterpreted the few articles I've read, H.S. Football players can also forego college and play in the Canadian or Arena Football League should they choose to do so. Agreed that current NCAA isn't an ideal system, but what is an ideal system that allows participation for 98% of athletes that will never go pro? Those who play college sports make the choice to do so.

>

>

Not sure that is correct about the CFL. Canadian players need to be out of High-school for 3 years before they can be drafted. Import players (non Canadian) have similar rules. Maybe there is some loop hole, but they changed the draft rules about 5 years ago (after there was some high profile cases of top high-school players threatening to go the CFL rather than NCAA)

> @2bGood said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

>

> But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

>

> For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

>

>

>

>

So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > >

> > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > >

> > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> >

> > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> >

> > But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> >

> > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

>

> What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

>

> Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

> As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

>

> I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

>

> IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

>

> Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

>

> All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

>

> But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

>

>

>

I think you are missing my point. Go back and have a look at what I was replying to. I have not even weighed in wether collegiate athletes should be paid.

The post I replied to was implying college athletes don't work hard for all the 'free' stuff they get and have a great deal. I am talking about the fact that pursuing a sport scholarship is not the most efficient way to get your education and for the most part student athletes are very well deserving of what they get.

> @2bGood said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> > >

> > > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> > >

> > > But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> > >

> > > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

> >

> > What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

> >

> > Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

> > As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

> >

> > I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

> >

> > IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

> >

> > Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

> >

> > All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

> >

> > But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

> >

> >

> >

> I think you are missing my point. Go back and have a look at what I was replying to. I have not even weighed in wether collegiate athletes should be paid.

>

> The post I replied to was implying college athletes don't work hard for all the 'free' stuff they get and have a great deal. I am talking about the fact that pursuing a sport scholarship is not the most efficient way to get your education and for the most part student athletes are very well deserving of what they get.

As for the hours calculation I think you are grossly under estimating the time involved in playing high level sports. When I competed in school it was not unusual to travel 15hrs in one week, (got to love those 8hr+ bus rides two ways!) let alone, practice and play. Here is more information about what is going on in more recent days https://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

> Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

Maybe in CA, where in-state tuition is lower, but definitely not the case anywhere else. Try earning $40K a year and go to class full time.

The bigger problem is that the education side of the school never sees a penny from the sports programs. It all goes back into the program, TV money, sponsorships, everything.

> @2bGood said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> > > >

> > > > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> > > >

> > > > But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> > > >

> > > > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

> > >

> > > What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

> > >

> > > Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > >

> > > As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

> > >

> > > I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

> > >

> > > IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

> > >

> > > Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

> > >

> > > All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

> > >

> > > But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > I think you are missing my point. Go back and have a look at what I was replying to. I have not even weighed in wether collegiate athletes should be paid.

> >

> > The post I replied to was implying college athletes don't work hard for all the 'free' stuff they get and have a great deal. I am talking about the fact that pursuing a sport scholarship is not the most efficient way to get your education and for the most part student athletes are very well deserving of what they get.

>

> As for the hours calculation I think you are grossly under estimating the time involved in playing high level sports. When I competed in school it was not unusual to travel 15hrs in one week, (got to love those 8hr+ bus rides two ways!) let alone, practice and play. Here is more information about what is going on in more recent days https://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

>

>

OK, so I looked it up. The NCAA restricts student athletes to 20 hours per week. If there are loopholes and/or they "work" more than that, and I have NO DOUBT they do, what can I tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As for you're not taking a position on whether or not they should be paid I'd say that coming down on them being able to earn minimum wage and make enough for a good education, of course you're having them "slinging hash", something they more than likely HATE, vs. playing a sport they LOVE and possibly becoming the next Tom Brady going forward whereas that guy slinging hash instead will start as an assistant manager in the local McDonalds.

So net-net, for the 90% who never "make it" in their favorite sport, I feel the vast majority of student athletes are more than fairly compensated for their efforts. Now the superstars ? Not so much but then they'll be "take care of financially when they do get to the "show".

Having said that I guess I'm up in the air over using student likenesses, jerseys, etc. to sell tickets. I guess I could be convinced that they deserve at least some sort of piece of that particular pie. IDK.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> > > > >

> > > > > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> > > > >

> > > > > But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> > > > >

> > > > > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

> > > >

> > > > What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

> > > >

> > > > Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > > >

> > > > As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

> > > >

> > > > I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

> > > >

> > > > IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

> > > >

> > > > Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

> > > >

> > > > All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

> > > >

> > > > But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > I think you are missing my point. Go back and have a look at what I was replying to. I have not even weighed in wether collegiate athletes should be paid.

> > >

> > > The post I replied to was implying college athletes don't work hard for all the 'free' stuff they get and have a great deal. I am talking about the fact that pursuing a sport scholarship is not the most efficient way to get your education and for the most part student athletes are very well deserving of what they get.

> >

> > As for the hours calculation I think you are grossly under estimating the time involved in playing high level sports. When I competed in school it was not unusual to travel 15hrs in one week, (got to love those 8hr+ bus rides two ways!) let alone, practice and play. Here is more information about what is going on in more recent days https://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

> >

> >

>

> OK, so I looked it up. The NCAA restricts student athletes to 20 hours per week. If there are loopholes and/or they "work" more than that, and I have NO DOUBT they do, what can I tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

> As for you're not taking a position on whether or not they should be paid I'd say that coming down on them being able to earn minimum wage and make enough for a good education, of course you're having them "slinging hash", something they more than likely HATE, vs. playing a sport they LOVE and possibly becoming the next Tom Brady going forward whereas that guy slinging hash instead will start as an assistant manager in the local McDonalds.

>

> So net-net, for the 90% who never "make it" in their favorite sport, I feel the vast majority of student athletes are more than fairly compensated for their efforts. Now the superstars ? Not so much but then they'll be "take care of financially when they do get to the "show".

>

> Having said that I guess I'm up in the air over using student likenesses, jerseys, etc. to sell tickets. I guess I could be convinced that they deserve at least some sort of piece of that particular pie. IDK.

We actually agree then.

> @2bGood said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @2bGood said:

> > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > > > @2bGood said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @596 said:

> > > > > > > > > > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > > > > > > > > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > In State Public University will cost about $20,000.00 a year give or take. Would include tuition, room, food, bills, etc. The things athletes get on top of that probably double that cost. They get trainer, doctors, nutritionist, coaching, mental health consultants, apparel, shoes, surgery when if/when needed, and I am sure other things that are slipping my mind. Then depending on the University and conference, athletes are getting anywhere from $1500.00 to $5,000.00 in spending money. My daughter gets $1900.00 a semester.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I don't doubt all that. But how many hours do high level athletes put in to be there? Both before getting to college (has to be done to get the job) and once they get there? If you view a sports scholarship as you least expensive way to get and education, then I suggest you don't play a sport and work at McDonalds instead.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > My employer doesn't compensate me for the years of studying and past training I did before I joined them. I only get paid for the work I do for them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That is too bad. I do compensate my employees for this. Their Salaries are very much based on the experience and skills they bring to the table.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But all that does not really matter as it is not really my point. I am taking about the 'what if' athletes worked rather than pursuing the sport. They would get paid for **all** that time.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > For many it is 4 or 5 years of work to get to get a scholarship and then 4 years in college. The first 4 years in high school it is fair to say about 2500 hours might be spent on the sport. Once out of high school the hours jumps loads to about 7500 hours in total. So you might put in a nice even 10,000 hours during you amateur time in the game. If you take a minimum wage job instead of spending that time on sport you would have made $100,000 - $150,000. You could of paid for a very good education with that. Working would be a way less risky way to get a "free" education.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > So now the colleges are supposed to be reimbursing the student athletes they sign for those students' HIGH SCHOOL efforts ?

> > > > >

> > > > > What about their elementary school efforts ? You know, when they're often just tossing the ball with Dad for hours on end. They should be paid for that as well, no ?

> > > > >

> > > > > Paying someone for their effort to earn a job at your place, or in this case, a sports scholarship, is not YOUR responsibility. You may reap the benefits of a higher educated employee and/or have to pay a bit more for their services but if $40K "benefit" for 4 years of college is $160K. You ain't paying the more educated employee that much more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > > > >

> > > > > As for the "work" they put in WHILE they're earning their degrees, I'd guestimate about 20 hour per week for 6 months of the year. That does NOT include any time they do activities outside of the school team's training, i.e. if they run or go lift weights on their own time.

> > > > >

> > > > > I doubt nowadays the colleges would even be allowed to have the athletes "work" more hours than that.

> > > > >

> > > > > IF that is the case, $40K/1000 hours is $40 per hour. Hardly minimum wage. Or should the "work" they do in the classroom, assuming of course they attend classes, be "paid for" too ?

> > > > >

> > > > > Out of 125 Division 1 schools, the NFL selects a little of 300 of the (mostly) seniors, roughly out of 3,000 graduating seniors. And needless to say not all of them end up IN the NFL. There are probably 25% of athletes who never see any significant playing time on the field and THEY get their college degrees.

> > > > >

> > > > > All-in-all, pretty poor odds of an NFL career. Personally, I'd be very thankful I'd have been "paid" a college degree for my efforts.

> > > > >

> > > > > But maybe that's just me,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > I think you are missing my point. Go back and have a look at what I was replying to. I have not even weighed in wether collegiate athletes should be paid.

> > > >

> > > > The post I replied to was implying college athletes don't work hard for all the 'free' stuff they get and have a great deal. I am talking about the fact that pursuing a sport scholarship is not the most efficient way to get your education and for the most part student athletes are very well deserving of what they get.

> > >

> > > As for the hours calculation I think you are grossly under estimating the time involved in playing high level sports. When I competed in school it was not unusual to travel 15hrs in one week, (got to love those 8hr+ bus rides two ways!) let alone, practice and play. Here is more information about what is going on in more recent days https://www.businessinsider.com/college-student-athletes-spend-40-hours-a-week-practicing-2015-1

> > >

> > >

> >

> > OK, so I looked it up. The NCAA restricts student athletes to 20 hours per week. If there are loopholes and/or they "work" more than that, and I have NO DOUBT they do, what can I tell ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

> > As for you're not taking a position on whether or not they should be paid I'd say that coming down on them being able to earn minimum wage and make enough for a good education, of course you're having them "slinging hash", something they more than likely HATE, vs. playing a sport they LOVE and possibly becoming the next Tom Brady going forward whereas that guy slinging hash instead will start as an assistant manager in the local McDonalds.

> >

> > So net-net, for the 90% who never "make it" in their favorite sport, I feel the vast majority of student athletes are more than fairly compensated for their efforts. Now the superstars ? Not so much but then they'll be "take care of financially when they do get to the "show".

> >

> > Having said that I guess I'm up in the air over using student likenesses, jerseys, etc. to sell tickets. I guess I could be convinced that they deserve at least some sort of piece of that particular pie. IDK.

>

> It this we actually agree then.

>

we gotta lock this, or maybe this is the new golfwrx lol.

the inextricable nature of economics from classism and other types of prejudice should be discussed. Lots of people being hurt by the way things are happening. but discussed here? probably not.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• 3 weeks later...

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Bill just passed and signed into law...and here we go...

>

> Does not go into effect until 2023 and will be challenged.

Gavin Newsome is an idiot along with most of the politicians in California. A once great state being ruined by politicians.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Does this have any impact at all on NCAA college golf and recruiting, or does it mainly just affect football and basketball?

Should benefit any athletes, but obviously more money goes to football & basketball, basically, the more TV time your sport gets, the more lucrative your likeness.

Figuring out how it affects recruiting is impossible right now. In the 4 years before it goes into effect the NCAA could block it, prevent CA teams from participating in championships, or create a national rule which enables it everywhere.

So, a couple things that I think are being missed and/or highlighted in this discussion.

1. To the extent it has been mentioned a few times, it should be reiterated that at least some college athletes get actual cash compensation and such compensation is within the rules as of 2015. These stipends can be in excess of thousands of dollars per semester. In some cases, the stipends pay more than a minimum wage job at 20 hours per week throughout the school year. Not to mention, scholarship athletes are not taxed on the value of their scholarships, which is a huge financial boon. Compare this to college graduates who have portions of their student loans forgiven after 20 years: any amounts forgiven are taxable as earned income (i.e. if you have $20,000 in loans forgiven, you must report that $20,000 as income earned in the year of forgiveness).

2. People seem to be overlooking the long-term benefits of being a college athlete. I've hired numerous attorneys over the years and I sit on my firm's hiring board. We only hire attorney's from about 5 of the best law schools in the country, and even then only those who have graduated in the top 10%. As you can imagine, very little differentiates these prospective new hires... they all went to very good undergraduate schools, all come from excellent law schools, all are on law review, etc. So, when making hiring decisions, we look for any differentiating aspects we can find. Several times, the fact that someone was a college athlete tips the scales in their favor. The fact that someone can juggle a full-time job (college athletics) while maintaining good enough grades to get into a top law school is impressive. I also know many of my clients who do the same thing; that is, they will hire a qualified collegiate athlete over a qualified non-collegiate athlete. It doesn't matter if the person was good or bad; the fact that they were an athlete is enough on its own.

3. California is going to do what its going to do, regardless of what any other person, state, or entity thinks. This is evident from many of their laws. However, anybody that thinks the NCAA will bow down to CA is sorely mistaken. The NCAA, rightly or wrongly, always considers itself the 800lb gorilla. The NCAA can easily prevent any CA schools that pay players from competing in any NCAA events, and I would expect the NCAA to move begin kicking out programs that agree to pay players. CA needs the NCAA more than the NCAA needs CA. The two highest grossing NCAA sports (football and basketball) do not have perennial championship contenders in CA or the Pac-12. If CA schools are not allowed to participate in the NCAA, I don't see many student-athletes moving to CA to earn small amounts of money in favor of going to a school where they will get more national exposure... and this leads me to my next point.

4. Anybody that thinks players outside CA aren't getting paid is living under a rock. While it may be true that not all players at School X are getting paid, the top stars definitely are, and they are getting paid much more illegally than the CA schools will be willing to pay legally. So, to the extent any players will choose to play in CA, it will be athletes that aren't good enough to get paid big bucks by the major programs. This, in turn, will lead to CA schools having teams loaded with mediocre talent, thereby making it very difficult for them to compete with and/or against the NCAA and its teams.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I dont think those points are lost on anyone, i think people just realized this is a political thread, and plenty of people posting entitled anecdotal evidence to defend a @#$%ed up system already.

Can we just move on and let this forum be about golf? rather than the political garbage the ncaa lives in?

I was a D1 athlete. None of my teammates ever considered a law degree a feasible acquisition with the 7 hours or more of practice a day. And none of us were offered full rides to graduate school.

• Like 1

So based on how current cases on equality are going, all athletes at all college levels will get paid. Now if it's all the same amount will smaller schools be able to compete or will they lose their programs or have less scholarships?

Now what if it's a sliding scale based on sport? Now athletes will be changing sport in hope of just making a few bucks. What if it's only the big schools that pay? Now you have kids going to a big school to sit on the bench and never play instead of playing at a smaller school.

The amount of college athletes vs the superstars that may go pro or not is less than 1%. This pay to play is going to kill the smaller school and hurt the majority of college athletes / athletics.

Colleges make a ton money off of sports and it followed by a lot people. They all like the system because well it benefits them. Paying players makes a lot sense especially in football and basketball.

The biggest problem I see is less money for other sports especially women sports. Paid sports will make it less likely to spend money on the Golf team facilities. Colleges spend money on smaller sports because Athletic departments are flush with cash.

The compromise here is to allow players to benefit off their likenesses for purposes of endorsements, video games, etc. but for the schools to be forbidden from subsidizing that. It’s the only rational way to get around Title IX. It might also eliminate the “bag men”. What’s $100K from a booster when Nike’s paying you $1M?

> @JuniorGolfParent said:

> Does this have any impact at all on NCAA college golf and recruiting, or does it mainly just affect football and basketball?

I am surprised this hasn't been discussed as it would apply to all athletes. If an NCAA golfer gets paid for his/her image or likeness I would assume they would no longer be an amateur under the USGA's rules since they are profiting of off their golfing ability. So if you are a high-level college golfer do you forgo playing in prestigious amateur events (and an opportunity to play in the US Open/Master's) for a few hundred dollars a month in side cash promoting products?