College Athletes being allowed to get paid

> @dankil13 said:

> > @kevinscott22 said:

> > True I guess a hedge fund manager at a more successful firm gets compensated way more than that at a mid-level firm. I'm just trying to figure out how it will translate to the athletes. For example, will it be more lucrative to be a bench player on the Alabama football team than a starter at UC Irvine?

>

> Wait until the 6th man on Duke earns more than the All-American forward on Duke's Women's BBall team. Then it will be about wage inequality. Of course, if the NCAA runs it and pools the money that is distributed to the players then those will again complain that star athletes are being exploited while their coaches are overpaid.

Which is one of the many reasons why it shouldn't change from the way it is.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have never agreed that any college athlete should be paid. If you want to get a paycheck, go Pro. Plain and simple. If you're not good enough to go pro and agree to the terms and conditions offered

All I'm saying is that if you put Trevor Lawrence in a UCLA jersey and he's on TV selling Head & Shoulders then I'm a buyer.

I dont think those points are lost on anyone, i think people just realized this is a political thread, and plenty of people posting entitled anecdotal evidence to defend a @#$%ed up system already. C

Yep, I read about our governor signing that bill. What an enormous error, although from him, not shocking as he sticks his nose where it doesn't belong.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > Yep, I read about our governor signing that bill. What an enormous error, although from him, not shocking as he sticks his nose where it doesn't belong.

>

> LeBron approves... Good enough for me.

LOL good for you.

Suffice to say, LeBron and 99.5% of all other pro athletes are not my valued sources for anything.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

If you're on a full ride scholarship at a D1 university, you're more than already getting paid. Food, tutors, lodging, and alumni 'donations' that somehow find ways to the athletes (few are students, let's be real). My son has a few friends on this type of scholarships, and they're not hurting for anything at some very $$$ universities.

> @2bGood said:

> > @596 said:

> > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

>

> Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

Free room, board and tuition assumes a full ride. There are many, many kids with partial scholarships that help with costs, but the kid is prevented from getting a job while on scholarship.

• Like 1

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Oldboy said:

> > there are stories of college students that can't afford to feed themselves and we know about the college loan debt crisis, which is bigger than credit card debt i believe .. but hey college football/basketball coaches make millions and the NCAA ..we don't even know how much they're raking in do we? possibly only FIFA is more corrupt an organization.. it just aint right

>

> hmmmm.... sounds like you don't like Capitalism. I think it is great. They can do with their money as they see fit. If the athletes don't like it, they can turn professional.

hmmm.... and what if i don't? "their" money.. funny. and for the most part we are talking state schools that get massive funding from taxpayer dollars/tuition paid by students/families

> @Oldboy said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Oldboy said:

> > > there are stories of college students that can't afford to feed themselves and we know about the college loan debt crisis, which is bigger than credit card debt i believe .. but hey college football/basketball coaches make millions and the NCAA ..we don't even know how much they're raking in do we? possibly only FIFA is more corrupt an organization.. it just aint right

> >

> > hmmmm.... sounds like you don't like Capitalism. I think it is great. They can do with their money as they see fit. If the athletes don't like it, they can turn professional.

>

> hmmm.... and what if i don't? "their" money.. funny. and for the most part we are talking state schools that get massive funding from taxpayer dollars/tuition paid by students/families

>

That non-profit has to pay corporate taxes because they make above the amount they can.

The massive funding by state and federal government is for academics, not athletics.

College Athletes do get paid right now. What do you not understand about that?

> @farmer said:

> > @2bGood said:

> > > @596 said:

> > > Last time I checked college athletes are being paid. Free room, board, tuition..... Free college education. Sounds like a darn good deal. I'm betting any college student would love 4 or 5 years of free college! Never seen a college athlete complain of student loans.

> > > College athletics has gone way too far in the money making business. That's what this all boils down to.

> >

> > Laughable. It is far from "free". Most college athletes would make more working a minimum wage job than what they get for all the hours required playing a sport. With the time they need to put into the sport that can't really take advantage of the "free" education.

>

> Free room, board and tuition assumes a full ride. There are many, many kids with partial scholarships that help with costs, but the kid is prevented from getting a job while on scholarship.

This is only partially true. They are allowed to get summer jobs. My daughter is working an internship for one of the largest financial firms in the world next summer. She will end up making roughly $4000.00 a month.

• Like 1

> @Oldboy said:

> the NCAA in 2016 made $1 Billion dollars in revenue .. as a nonprofit organization ... so they paid ZERO taxes .. boy they just look like stingy MFers more than anything else

You do know there is a big difference between revenue and profit, right? For instance in 2015 the NCAA reported $971M in profit and had a net loss of $415k. In 2016 the NCAA reported $1.06B in revenue and $120M in profit.

Non-profits do not pay taxes because earnings and losses are passed down to owners (shareholders, etc). Most non-profits have to make money, or they won't be around very long. Those profits fund growth of their mission. For instance, the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has revenues of $2.5B and profits $300M. Many of their execs make well in excess of $1M while support staff make peanuts. The cost of their services is ridiculously expensive if you don't have insurance. Yet I have never heard anyone call them greedy.

You have to remember the NCAA essential needs to earn enough profit to fund all of its events with the money it makes in basketball and football, at all levels. So the profit from $800M helps fund the DII and DIII championship game, which doesn't generate enough revenue to cover its costs.

I don't think NCAA players should be paid outright. If they want to be paid join the minor leagues or head overseas for a year. The only sport where that really isn't possible is football. I also think the value of what they receive from the colleges is very significant when you factor in having a full time strength and condition coach, top notch training facilities and medical staff. Not to mention the money they can earn after school if they played at a top D1 program as an analyst, making appearances, etc. I also don't see any issue with them owning their name, image and likeness while in school, just have some concerns about how it will be monitored and regulated.

I hate to interrupt but from what I've read it's not like the college is going to pay Player A X dollars, or Player B, Y dollars, or pay every athlete the same amount or anything similar.

The new law will allow a college athlete to profit commercially (i.e. NOT a salary). Things such as him/her making a commercial, getting their own shoe deal, sales of his football jersey and the like. The college won't be paying him/her anything.

This being the case, how many athletes would really make much money this way ? Not many. And of those who do, I wonder how much they'd actually make.

Or did I not read enough about this new law ? (Possible)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

> @nsxguy said:

> I hate to interrupt but from what I've read it's not like the college is going to pay Player A X dollars, or Player B, Y dollars, or pay every athlete the same amount or anything similar.

>

> The new law will allow a college athlete to profit commercially (i.e. NOT a salary). Things such as him/her making a commercial, getting their own shoe deal, sales of his football jersey and the like. The college won't be paying him/her anything.

>

> This being the case, how many athletes would really make much money this way ? Not many. And of those who do, I wonder how much they'd actually make.

>

> Or did I not read enough about this new law ? (Possible)

Its just a whole bunch of headaches...so the school doesnt pay them directly, how many boosters will "hire" them for autograph sessions at thousands of dollars, maybe another school's boosters dont want to pay that much. Boosters can pay for advertising on a player's youtube channel or twitter or something, its not going to be a level playing field and will be very similar to professional sports. As for jerseys, the NCAA kind of handcuffed them by not putting names on the back of jerseys so who would get the money? Schools have multiple kids with the same number so who gets a cut of that number's jersey sales? Both?

Oregon has Nike money while Maryland has Under Armour money...a little easier to get kids there offering them shoe deals than at other schools.

I did some math just for the fun of it and if EA decided to bring back NCAA Football and pay each player $1000 for their likeness, they would have to sell almost 200,000 copies just to cover that expense. And do the kids at say Louisiana Lafayette deserve the same amount as the kids from Alabama? Theres just so many different scenarios and it will never be a fair way of dispersing the funds. And will women see any of this money?? Probably a small chunk so I can see Title IX issues starting.

In the end, players get paid a small stipend and the really good ones see a nice under the table check/cash bag that would get a school in trouble. People can say what they want about "getting paid" yada yada yada but when you factor in scholarships, travel, trainers, use of gyms, food, housing, and everything else that comes with playing college sports, thats plenty enough pay. You will also not find a bigger stage than NCAA D1 athletics as an audition platform for pro sports. Any power 5 conf football is great exposure for getting drafted and is the same for basketball, I believe this is why so few go overseas and get paid but just stay here and play.

> @blaird said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > I hate to interrupt but from what I've read it's not like the college is going to pay Player A X dollars, or Player B, Y dollars, or pay every athlete the same amount or anything similar.

> >

> > The new law will allow a college athlete to profit commercially (i.e. NOT a salary). Things such as him/her making a commercial, getting their own shoe deal, sales of his football jersey and the like. The college won't be paying him/her anything.

> >

> > This being the case, how many athletes would really make much money this way ? Not many. And of those who do, I wonder how much they'd actually make.

> >

> > Or did I not read enough about this new law ? (Possible)

>

> Its just a whole bunch of headaches...so the school doesnt pay them directly, how many boosters will "hire" them for autograph sessions at thousands of dollars, maybe another school's boosters dont want to pay that much. Boosters can pay for advertising on a player's youtube channel or twitter or something, its not going to be a level playing field and will be very similar to professional sports. As for jerseys, the NCAA kind of handcuffed them by not putting names on the back of jerseys so who would get the money? Schools have multiple kids with the same number so who gets a cut of that number's jersey sales? Both?

>

> Oregon has Nike money while Maryland has Under Armour money...a little easier to get kids there offering them shoe deals than at other schools.

>

> I did some math just for the fun of it and if EA decided to bring back NCAA Football and pay each player $1000 for their likeness, they would have to sell almost 200,000 copies just to cover that expense. And do the kids at say Louisiana Lafayette deserve the same amount as the kids from Alabama? Theres just so many different scenarios and it will never be a fair way of dispersing the funds. And will women see any of this money?? Probably a small chunk so I can see Title IX issues starting.

>

> In the end, players get paid a small stipend and the really good ones see a nice under the table check/cash bag that would get a school in trouble. People can say what they want about "getting paid" yada yada yada but when you factor in scholarships, travel, trainers, use of gyms, food, housing, and everything else that comes with playing college sports, thats plenty enough pay. You will also not find a bigger stage than NCAA D1 athletics as an audition platform for pro sports. Any power 5 conf football is great exposure for getting drafted and is the same for basketball, I believe this is why so few go overseas and get paid but just stay here and play.

Same way I feel. If they don't want to play for a free education, then turn pro. Next thing will be high school kids wanting to get paid.

Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

> @CTgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

>

> I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

>

> her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

>

> this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

>

I bet you're super fun at parties.

• Like 1

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

> >

> > I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

> >

> > her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

> >

> > this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

> >

>

> I bet you're super fun at parties.

lol - your views aren't surprising being a CA resident

• 3 weeks later...

> @CTgolf said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

> > >

> > > I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

> > >

> > > her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

> > >

> > > this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

> > >

> >

> > I bet you're super fun at parties.

>

> lol - your views aren't surprising being a CA resident

Care to comment now? Yes, the end result will look much different than originally outlined by CA but we are the catalyst that started this whole thing.

[The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "**_unanimously_** to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.](https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/10/29/ncaa-board-opens-door-athletes-use-name-image-and-likeness/2492383001/ "The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "unanimously to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.")

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

> > > >

> > > > I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

> > > >

> > > > her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

> > > >

> > > > this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

> > > >

> > >

> > > I bet you're super fun at parties.

> >

> > lol - your views aren't surprising being a CA resident

>

> Care to comment now? Yes, the end result will look much different than originally outlined by CA but we are the catalyst that started this whole thing.

>

> [The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "**_unanimously_** to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.](https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/10/29/ncaa-board-opens-door-athletes-use-name-image-and-likeness/2492383001/ "The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "unanimously to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.")

So I can ramp up my 8YO's Instagram marketing budget and start to rake in the cash now (or at least try) without consequence for college eligibility? Or amateur status?

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > Great perspective in this article on 'being handcuffed' by the NCAA: [https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay](https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay "https://foxbusiness.com/sports/katelyn-ohashi-ucla-ncaa-rules-pay")

> > > >

> > > > I saw the NYT video op-ed referenced in your link when it came out earlier this week

> > > >

> > > > her arguments are not compelling at all - typical biased narrative journalism

> > > >

> > > > this whole issue is a big Rorschach test: how you feel about it is most likely going to be inline with innate preferences which also would be predictive of one's political views

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> Care to comment now? Yes, the end result will look much different than originally outlined by CA but we are the catalyst that started this whole thing.

>

> [The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "**_unanimously_** to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.](https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/10/29/ncaa-board-opens-door-athletes-use-name-image-and-likeness/2492383001/ "The NCAA's top policy-making group on Tuesday voted "unanimously to permit students participating in athletics the opportunity to benefit from the use of their name, image and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model," the association said in a news release.")

So it means they can make money off Nike selling their jersey. Not really the school paying them. I don't have a problem with that.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

>

Comment? Yeah, lefties are sympathetic to this ridiculous whining by entitled athletes. Most reasonable ppl look at this and think they should stop crying.

The NCAA moved to squelch the uprising by making some accommodations that will only materially impact a very small % of collegiate amateurs. Perhaps we can all get on with our lives now.

> @CTgolf said:

>

> Comment? Yeah, lefties are sympathetic to this ridiculous whining by entitled athletes. Most reasonable ppl look at this and think they should stop crying.

>

> The NCAA moved to squelch the uprising by making some accommodations that will only materially impact a very small % of collegiate amateurs. Perhaps we can all get on with our lives now.

Feel free to mark this date down alongside November 8, 2016 for when you stood on the wrong side of history.