2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

$ taper vs c taper - results feedback

getitdaily

Will update this thread with more details as it appears I will reshaft with $taper. Have been playing ctaper for the last year. I reshafted the 6 iron today and compared 5-6-7. 5 and 7 have ctaper.

Ballspeed was nearly identically incremental between each club.

Launch - this is where there will be a difference. The 6 iron is launching the same as the 7 iron.

Spin - negligible difference.

Feel - I decided to try the $taper because the ctaper doesnt really have a kick or, more specifically, lacks feel in transition. The $taper gives that little bit of feel. The 6iron started online better than the 5 and 7.

Gonna test the 6 iron on the range to validate that I want to reshaft the entire set.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> $ Taper is much more playable... better feel, probably more usable for majority of players. C Taper profile always felt like a brick to me.

I definitely agree and is why I'll likely stick with them.

I should add

Ctapers are 120s but are hard stepped.

$tapers are 120s and are not stepped.

Fwiw - I'm a .5 cap.

I’ve played golf for about 15 years and never paid much attention to equipment until about 3 months ago. Today I went to Golfer’s Warehouse and the Cobra MB’s with $ taper 120 shafts (maybe it said 125). I’ve never felt such a lovely interaction between club and ball. I mean, it just felt so nice, I wanted to hit 20 balls a minute just to keep feeling that feeling. So do all quality shafts feel like that or was it just the $taper or the Cobra MB? I’ve only ever played project x 6.0, DG 105’s and DG AMt white.

> @Mookieb10 said:

> I’ve played golf for about 15 years and never paid much attention to equipment until about 3 months ago. Today I went to Golfer’s Warehouse and the Cobra MB’s with $ taper 120 shafts (maybe it said 125). I’ve never felt such a lovely interaction between club and ball. I mean, it just felt so nice, I wanted to hit 20 balls a minute just to keep feeling that feeling. So do all quality shafts feel like that or was it just the $taper or the Cobra MB? I’ve only ever played project x 6.0, DG 105’s and DG AMt white.

The $tapers definitely have a smooth feel to them. I've hit the px and amt white and didn't like either of them. Never hit the 105.

Is the bent tip thing something that is an issue with these or was that exclusively a C taper problem?? I've been a C taper guy for years, but miss the DG feel, seems like these $ tapers might be the mix of reduced spin, but with some feel, that I've been looking for.

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

No first hand experience, but I would bet that the tips on $-tapers will bend too.

Kim Braly does not believe in reinforced tips in his shaft designs. This dates all the way back to the original PX he did at Royal Precision.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I currently play the $ tapers. They have much more feel and are much more active overall. They are mid launch and spin. I find that at times they can launch a little high. The do provide great feedback.

The C tapers are completely different. Low launch, low spin and very butt stiff. Every time I swing them I feel like I have to get warmed up and then they work. I did find that I got better distance with the C tapers over the $ tapers. I think that is due to a much more penetrating flight. But, they feel harsh and have a ton of vibration that I find unpleasant.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @TG_343 said:

> Is the bent tip thing something that is an issue with these or was that exclusively a C taper problem?? I've been a C taper guy for years, but miss the DG feel, seems like these $ tapers might be the mix of reduced spin, but with some feel, that I've been looking for.

I think the bent tips was an early ctaper thing. I've had no issues the last year.

The $tapers feel like the goldilocks between ctapers' linear boardy feel and the butt soft super lively dg feel.

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I currently play the $ tapers. They have much more feel and are much more active overall. They are mid launch and spin. I find that at times they can launch a little high. The do provide great feedback.

>

> The C tapers are completely different. Low launch, low spin and very butt stiff. Every time I swing them I feel like I have to get warmed up and then they work. I did find that I got better distance with the C tapers over the $ tapers. I think that is due to a much more penetrating flight. But, they feel harsh and have a ton of vibration that I find unpleasant.

You have a naturally high ball flight?

I'm a lowish ballflight guy so I'm guessing I'll get a touch more distance with the $tapers. Saw it in the 6iron...looks like I'll get about 3 or 4 yards more out of the 4-5-6...not sure about the 7 and down. I tried a 7 iron in a different head...$taper and ctaper and found no difference. I was surprised I saw some with the 6iron.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I currently play the $ tapers. They have much more feel and are much more active overall. They are mid launch and spin. I find that at times they can launch a little high. The do provide great feedback.

> >

> > The C tapers are completely different. Low launch, low spin and very butt stiff. Every time I swing them I feel like I have to get warmed up and then they work. I did find that I got better distance with the C tapers over the $ tapers. I think that is due to a much more penetrating flight. But, they feel harsh and have a ton of vibration that I find unpleasant.

>

> You have a naturally high ball flight?

>

> I'm a lowish ballflight guy so I'm guessing I'll get a touch more distance with the $tapers. Saw it in the 6iron...looks like I'll get about 3 or 4 yards more out of the 4-5-6...not sure about the 7 and down. I tried a 7 iron in a different head...$taper and ctaper and found no difference. I was surprised I saw some with the 6iron.

yes, Higher ball hitter.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

> @TrueWRX said:

> Pretty interesting results

>

Good find. Not sure why that video never showed up under a Google search.

I'm the opposite of matt. I find that I lose the head with the ctaper and the $taper lowes perfectly for me. My transition is fairly smooth. That feel of not getting underneath with the ctaper is one of the reasons I'm looking to move away from them. I et a little steep on the way down so the feel I'm looking for (and getting) is what matt said he didn't like in the $taper.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @TrueWRX said:

> > Pretty interesting results

> >

>

> Good find. Not sure why that video never showed up under a Google search.

>

> I'm the opposite of matt. I find that I lose the head with the ctaper and the $taper lowes perfectly for me. My transition is fairly smooth. That feel of not getting underneath with the ctaper is one of the reasons I'm looking to move away from them. I et a little steep on the way down so the feel I'm looking for (and getting) is what matt said he didn't like in the $taper.

they just put it up today

> @TrueWRX said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > > @TrueWRX said:

> > > Pretty interesting results

> > >

> >

> > Good find. Not sure why that video never showed up under a Google search.

> >

> > I'm the opposite of matt. I find that I lose the head with the ctaper and the $taper lowes perfectly for me. My transition is fairly smooth. That feel of not getting underneath with the ctaper is one of the reasons I'm looking to move away from them. I et a little steep on the way down so the feel I'm looking for (and getting) is what matt said he didn't like in the $taper.

>

> they just put it up today

Ah. Thanks for posting.

> @getitdaily said:

> Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

>

> To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

>

> They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

This description sounds like the greatest shaft of all time. Seems to be exactly what I'd be looking for. Going to have to give these a try in the MP20's.

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"

> @TG_343 said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

> >

> > To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

> >

> > They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

>

> This description sounds like the greatest shaft of all time. Seems to be exactly what I'd be looking for. Going to have to give these a try in the MP20's.

I'll add...if you don't like the wet noodle feel of the modus or the harsh handle feel of PX then $taper is for you...

To me/for me, it's the best combination of feel and performance out there...now, that's only in a 6 iron. But when the dispersion pattern is about the size of a 4 person tent with a 6 iron...well, I'll take it. I will note that ctaper dispersion was the same. My start line was better with $taper.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @TG_343 said:

> > > @getitdaily said:

> > > Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

> > >

> > > To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

> > >

> > > They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

> >

> > This description sounds like the greatest shaft of all time. Seems to be exactly what I'd be looking for. Going to have to give these a try in the MP20's.

>

> I'll add...if you don't like the wet noodle feel of the modus or the harsh handle feel of PX then $taper is for you...

>

> To me/for me, it's the best combination of feel and performance out there...now, that's only in a 6 iron. But when the dispersion pattern is about the size of a 4 person tent with a 6 iron...well, I'll take it. I will note that ctaper dispersion was the same. My start line was better with $taper.

All of it sounds perfect. I use the ctaper now just for the spin reduction, but don't necessarily love the feel, just deal with it because of the performance. I liked the feel of DG, not the performance, and the PX line has always felt horrendous to me. If I can get that little bit of active feel you get from the DG but most of the spin reducing features of the c taper, then it's going to be a winner for me.

> @TG_343 said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > > @TG_343 said:

> > > > @getitdaily said:

> > > > Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

> > > >

> > > > To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

> > > >

> > > > They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

> > >

> > > This description sounds like the greatest shaft of all time. Seems to be exactly what I'd be looking for. Going to have to give these a try in the MP20's.

> >

> > I'll add...if you don't like the wet noodle feel of the modus or the harsh handle feel of PX then $taper is for you...

> >

> > To me/for me, it's the best combination of feel and performance out there...now, that's only in a 6 iron. But when the dispersion pattern is about the size of a 4 person tent with a 6 iron...well, I'll take it. I will note that ctaper dispersion was the same. My start line was better with $taper.

>

> All of it sounds perfect. I use the ctaper now just for the spin reduction, but don't necessarily love the feel, just deal with it because of the performance. I liked the feel of DG, not the performance, and the PX line has always felt horrendous to me. If I can get that little bit of active feel you get from the DG but most of the spin reducing features of the c taper, then it's going to be a winner for me.

Seems we have very similar shaft feel preferences. I'd say give the $taper a go. It appears I'll add about 3-4 yards of carry with the $taper due to the high launch while maintaining the ctaper spin profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to like the C-Taper but couldn't get past the harsh feel of them. Gave me elbow and wrist issues I think. I switched to Recoil and the pain went away. I feel like i did lose some control, but nothing that is not manageable.

I have loved the Original PX shafts in the past, but my current set up is black and not a color match for the PX shaft.

Well, I love Project X Rifles and C Taper mainly because for whatever reason their very stable feel is just what my tempo needs. Agree with all on the $Taper feeling great. I havr played it and it is excellent. They feel a lot different from the other two for me. Definitely higher, excellent for long irons, definitely feel the kick. I do prefer a more penetrating flight and I like the more subtle kick in the other two just as well.

What I have found is I am best to ignore the fitting parameters on the PX and C Taper. My tempo and speed (88 mph 6 iron, 103 driver) put me in a Rifle 6.0 and C Taper S. Don’t like the 6.0 at all and only like C Taper S in certain low COG heads. I prefer to play PX 5.5 and C Taper R+. Both can handle whatever I bring, the 115g weight is my sweet spot, and they feel great. Not boardy at all, more like powerful. Unreal performers in wind. They play just fine and don’t make me work hard. Can’t really go by flex letters — R and S and X can be all over the map. The C Taper R+ is close to the X flex in C Taper Lite. I like that one too. I just like R+ in the C Taper profile more. Very accurate shafts.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> Well, I love Project X Rifles and C Taper mainly because for whatever reason their very stable feel is just what my tempo needs. Agree with all on the $Taper feeling great. I havr played it and it is excellent. They feel a lot different from the other two for me. Definitely higher, excellent for long irons, definitely feel the kick. I do prefer a more penetrating flight and I like the more subtle kick in the other two just as well.

>

> What I have found is I am best to ignore the fitting parameters on the PX and C Taper. My tempo and speed (88 mph 6 iron, 103 driver) put me in a Rifle 6.0 and C Taper S. Don’t like the 6.0 at all and only like C Taper S in certain low COG heads. I prefer to play PX 5.5 and C Taper R+. Both can handle whatever I bring, the 115g weight is my sweet spot, and they feel great. Not boardy at all, more like powerful. Unreal performers in wind. They play just fine and don’t make me work hard. Can’t really go by flex letters — R and S and X can be all over the map. The C Taper R+ is close to the X flex in C Taper Lite. I like that one too. I just like R+ in the C Taper profile more. Very accurate shafts.

Funny you post about R+, I just moved to this as well in the C-Taper.

My transition is very aggressive in my downswing so I needed to move to a heavier more stable shaft to tame the two way miss. I ended up with C-Taper shafts in S but tip trimmed (parallel) to the 5.0 spec from KBS which is "R+" (or soft stepped S) and they are great. Very stable shaft, not hard to swing at all with my transition, and I didnt lose much yardage if any at all on my good strikes.

My dispersion is much better now.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @getitdaily said:

> > @TG_343 said:

> > > @getitdaily said:

> > > Range session with the 6iron and results are just as the launch monitor indicated. 6 iron flying like the 7. Super smooth feel. A touch more spin than ctaper but the amount that allows just a touch more workability without losing the ball. Dispersion was fantastic...

> > >

> > > To describe the feel...if you think s300 is too loose, ctaper is too boardy, x100 is too heavy, then staper is what you want. I'm in the 120s and they feel far from loose. Just a lively firm feel.

> > >

> > > They're going in all the other clubs as soon as my tip weights get here.

> >

> > This description sounds like the greatest shaft of all time. Seems to be exactly what I'd be looking for. Going to have to give these a try in the MP20's.

>

> I'll add...if you don't like the wet noodle feel of the modus or the harsh handle feel of PX then $taper is for you...

>

> To me/for me, it's the best combination of feel and performance out there...now, that's only in a 6 iron. But when the dispersion pattern is about the size of a 4 person tent with a 6 iron...well, I'll take it. I will note that ctaper dispersion was the same. My start line was better with $taper.

^^^^This 100%^^^^ I played DG and then moved to Nippons for the smooth feel and ability to play the "in-between" shots. I picked up a set of Callaways with the $-Taper 130s in them and my iron play is the best it's ever been. The 130s feel more like an S+ than an X. The spin and launch are predictable up or downwind. For my game, they are fantastic at the 3/4 and 1/2 shots. My average GIR have gone from 9 to 13 this season to last.

Tour  M2 RipTide MX 70 | Mavrik 4 Wood Rogue 70 | Callaway '16 Apex RipTide MX 105  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 | Titleist 718 AP1 SF 95 | TM MG3 53° / MG3 TW 57° Heppler TYNE 3

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > Well, I love Project X Rifles and C Taper mainly because for whatever reason their very stable feel is just what my tempo needs. Agree with all on the $Taper feeling great. I havr played it and it is excellent. They feel a lot different from the other two for me. Definitely higher, excellent for long irons, definitely feel the kick. I do prefer a more penetrating flight and I like the more subtle kick in the other two just as well.

> >

> > What I have found is I am best to ignore the fitting parameters on the PX and C Taper. My tempo and speed (88 mph 6 iron, 103 driver) put me in a Rifle 6.0 and C Taper S. Don’t like the 6.0 at all and only like C Taper S in certain low COG heads. I prefer to play PX 5.5 and C Taper R+. Both can handle whatever I bring, the 115g weight is my sweet spot, and they feel great. Not boardy at all, more like powerful. Unreal performers in wind. They play just fine and don’t make me work hard. Can’t really go by flex letters — R and S and X can be all over the map. The C Taper R+ is close to the X flex in C Taper Lite. I like that one too. I just like R+ in the C Taper profile more. Very accurate shafts.

>

> Funny you post about R+, I just moved to this as well in the C-Taper.

>

> My transition is very aggressive in my downswing so I needed to move to a heavier more stable shaft to tame the two way miss. I ended up with C-Taper shafts in S but tip trimmed (parallel) to the 5.0 spec from KBS which is "R+" (or soft stepped S) and they are great. Very stable shaft, not hard to swing at all with my transition, and I didnt lose much yardage if any at all on my good strikes.

>

> My dispersion is much better now.

Like Project X Rifles, the C Taper is another example of a shaft that many golfers try in Stiff or X Stiff, whatever they play in every other shaft, and then they don’t like the C Taper. Low spin, hard to keep in the air, work to swing, plays heavy. All valid observations. Sometimes it is simply not the shaft for a given player, but more could play it if fitted.

It really plays a flex stiff to me. I find a substantial difference between Stiff and Regular, and yet no loss of stability in the R. The R-plus is not stiffer, it is same CPM as the R (309), it is just a little heavier version — an R plus 5 grams (R+ is 115 vs 110 reg). But it really dialed it in for me. Like I said, I can easily handle the stiff and in a spring-faced head it is excellent for distance because it takes a high-launch head and still gives it a more penetrating flight. For musclebacks and some player cavity backs, dropping down to R-plus gets me in that same nice flight window.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > Well, I love Project X Rifles and C Taper mainly because for whatever reason their very stable feel is just what my tempo needs. Agree with all on the $Taper feeling great. I havr played it and it is excellent. They feel a lot different from the other two for me. Definitely higher, excellent for long irons, definitely feel the kick. I do prefer a more penetrating flight and I like the more subtle kick in the other two just as well.

> > >

> > > What I have found is I am best to ignore the fitting parameters on the PX and C Taper. My tempo and speed (88 mph 6 iron, 103 driver) put me in a Rifle 6.0 and C Taper S. Don’t like the 6.0 at all and only like C Taper S in certain low COG heads. I prefer to play PX 5.5 and C Taper R+. Both can handle whatever I bring, the 115g weight is my sweet spot, and they feel great. Not boardy at all, more like powerful. Unreal performers in wind. They play just fine and don’t make me work hard. Can’t really go by flex letters — R and S and X can be all over the map. The C Taper R+ is close to the X flex in C Taper Lite. I like that one too. I just like R+ in the C Taper profile more. Very accurate shafts.

> >

> > Funny you post about R+, I just moved to this as well in the C-Taper.

> >

> > My transition is very aggressive in my downswing so I needed to move to a heavier more stable shaft to tame the two way miss. I ended up with C-Taper shafts in S but tip trimmed (parallel) to the 5.0 spec from KBS which is "R+" (or soft stepped S) and they are great. Very stable shaft, not hard to swing at all with my transition, and I didnt lose much yardage if any at all on my good strikes.

> >

> > My dispersion is much better now.

>

> Like Project X Rifles, the C Taper is another example of a shaft that many golfers try in Stiff or X Stiff, whatever they play in every other shaft, and then they don’t like the C Taper. Low spin, hard to keep in the air, work to swing, plays heavy. All valid observations. Sometimes it is simply not the shaft for a given player, but more could play it if fitted.

>

> It really plays a flex stiff to me. I find a substantial difference between Stiff and Regular, and yet no loss of stability in the R. The R-plus is not stiffer, it is same CPM as the R (309), it is just a little heavier version — an R plus 5 grams (R+ is 115 vs 110 reg). But it really dialed it in for me. Like I said, I can easily handle the stiff and in a spring-faced head it is excellent for distance because it takes a high-launch head and still gives it a more penetrating flight. For musclebacks and some player cavity backs, dropping down to R-plus gets me in that same nice flight window.

Yeah the higher flight of soft stepped and/or R+ shafts is great for my swing as well since I dont take huge divots I hit low on the face of the club and getting the ball elevated is not always easy for me.

The C-Taper parallel shafts in Stiff I picked up were extremely customizable due to the ability to tip and butt trim so I initially tried the 5.5 spec and that was a little too stiff for me but the 5.0 spec was perfect. After butt and tip tripping I think the ~140g raw weight came down around the mid 120g range which is perfect as the R-flex and 'lite' KBS shafts around 110-115 are too light for my transition right now.

I'm still testing these C-Taper and initially I was a little intimidated but so far they are great.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 1 year later...

When I first tried the C-taper (130 - I play an X or TX), I found them harsh, and super low launching. I fell in love with a $-Taper 125, stock in a Cobra MB head at local shop (felt great, carried 190), and had my eyes peeled for a good used set of Cobra MBs with the $-Taper 130.

But in the meantime, I had a C-Taper 130 in an extra 7i, and got used to it over the winter. Grew to like it more than X100, PX 6.5 or 7.0, Modus3 130, Black Gold X, Tour Concept X, etc. All the usual suspects. Flew straighter, went further, stopped faster, felt better. You DO have to load the shaft more. But that improved my swing. 

Fast forward to a month ago, finally found my Cobra set w/ $-Taper 130s. Black, beautiful, fitted for a mini-tour player. I took them to the course immediately.

Initial impressions:
- unexpectedly high launch (guess I got used to the C-Taper);

- strange, consistent right miss - just a few yards, but I felt like I was puring them, and they were right fringe every time - normally I'm fighting a hook;
- definitely low spin - they took off high, flattened out, and just sailed;
- strange dead feel, compared to the C-Taper.

So I put C-Taper 130s in the odd clubs, and took the mixed set back out. The difference was even more pronounced. C-Tapers felt lively, free, flew the normal crazy distances. $-Tapers felt dead, sluggish, heavy. Had to work a lot harder than the C-Tapers. I was suspecting counterfeit clubs, at this point!

So, I took them apart. Et voila! Serious brass weights in every shaft. Some over an inch long. Guess that pro *really* wanted to avoid going left! And liked D4 or D5. Maybe D6. Anyway, that's why the heavy dead feel and right miss.

I haven't reshafted with the unweighted $-Taper yet. I expect to like them a lot more. May just put them in my Adams MB2s (which right now have hard-stepped KBS Tour 125s. Close, but still a little handle-soft. I love the feel, but they go left. Same issue with X100s, TC1s, BGx, Nippons, etc. PXs hold off the draw, but I just can't get them to feel decent. It's either too harsh or strangely flabby if I catch one.)

I will re-comment when I get them in a club. Stay tuned on the unweighted $-Taper 130 report. Meanwhile, I am putting C-Taper 130s in all those Cobra MB heads. It's a great fit for me. Can't argue with success.

Moral of the story: first impressions are not always right. We all get used to whatever we are currently playing. If your game shafts are flying great for you, and scoring well, don't fix what's not broke. But if you do switch b/c you need to fix something, stick with them a bit. See if you get used to them. See if, god forbid, they force a swing improvement. IMHO, that's the best part of better gear: a better move. Cheers!

PS Had an instinct about the Nippon Superpeening Blue X, and they took *years* to find, but this is my current dark horse. Have one in another 7i now. Only other shaft in the running between the KBSs. Firm feel, crisp, tight, little bit lighter and more neutral/ less lively than the C-Taper, with a touch more kick high up. I like that I don't get jumpers with the Nippons, btw. SPBx is like a refined X100.

PPS Speaking of which, I may also have to revisit the X7. They felt like telephone poles a few years ago, but that was before I got used to the C-Taper. So there may be 4 in the running.

PPPS Scratch that, 5. Tour Issue X100s. Firmer at the handle than the consumer X100, they don't go left as easy, but still don't feel like rebar. Tried and true. Tips don't bend.

Also eager to try the Tour Vs. I'm sure everyone is on the edge of their seats!

Edited by rbpwrx

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte