Jump to content

Ever rush to finish a round? And why?


Recommended Posts

Out golfing on an absolutely glorious day at a club in Palos Verdes to celebrate buddy’s b-day yesterday when all of a sudden one in the group who was playing, how you say...”deliberately” (ok, slow as molasses...) suddenly has an urgency to get home. So we rush to finish, and even skip a hole to save time, and without hanging out to have a beverage after the round to bask in the magnificent setting of Palos Verdes, rushed him home to learn that the reason we did that, and even skipped a hole was....now get this....

 

So he wouldn’t be late for a soundbath yoga session with his wife. Seriously?

 

Yoga is fantastic...no doubt...and I admire one’s devotion to their spouse and what’s important to them...and of course the pressures of living in Southern California might dictate that residents take advantage of moments like a soundbath. HOWEVER...I don’t know about anybody else, but there’s not much that would cause me to rush to finish a round of golf, and even skip a hole...and a soundbath is and never will be one of them...

 

Darkness? Weather? Health? Birth of child? What else?

 

Along those lines...the situation evoked the old story where a group is playing golf and one of the guys is about to hit an important putt when on the adjacent road a funeral procession and hearse pass by. As it does, they guy stops mid-stroke, pauses, removes his hat, and bows his head. His playing partners remark about how touching it was for him to pay such honor to a deceased like that, and he responds, “well...that’s the least I could do after 37 years of being married to that wonderful woman...”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totally inconsiderate. Considerate alternatives abound:   “Listen, guys, I have to leave by 3pm, no flex. Can we play ready golf?”   “I have to leave at 3pm. I’ll drive myself so you don’t have to l

Constantly faced with rushing due to fear of wrath of wife, usually brought on by the overly-optimistic projection of when I told her I'd be home.

A year ago I went out after a work-class mandatory thing. Plan was to play 6-9 holes but I was -1 after 9 so figured I'd keep going. After eagle on 16 and par last 2 hole finished at -3 69... I was al

Rushed a lot of rounds to beat weather but the worst I've ever experienced was when my cousin and I and a couple of the his wife's family went to play golf at a nice course outside of Gatlinburg. It was my cousin's wedding.

 

The group except for myself werent really golfers per se. I ended up playing several holes by myself. Didn't help that we were late to our tee time because they didn't account for the insane traffic between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg because this was late October and it was leaf change week.

 

They wanted to catch a football game.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @KAndyMan said:

> Maybe he wasnt worried so much about the actual yoga and more about what else he would miss out on AFTER the yoga had he not made it on time?.

 

Yup, it's not the yoga. It's the wife's wrath he fears. Got to keep the wife happy.

I wouldn't skip a hole for anyone in my foursome so they could finish quicker. That's on them. I wouldn't ask anyone to skip a hole if I had to leave early. Sometimes there are places you need to be and you need to leave the course at a specific time and you'll only 18 in if things are quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all due deference to this guy and his wife, and their relationship.......

 

Nahhhh....I’m CERTAIN they’ve weathered worse over the 30+ years of their marriage. Discussed it with a few others who play golf at the event that was the reason for the visit, and all agree it was pusillanimous (I cleaned that up!!!). He should not have taken so long over every shot and we would have easily been done 30 minutes earlier...

 

But that’s enough of the rant. For now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You've missed the point. It's not the Yoga, it was his wife. Missing a planned event with the wife is hard to explain with the excuse of , pace of play is slower today.

You should have asked those whom had other scheduled for the day to have their own ride. Carpooling is great and we do that all the time, but everyone understood that aside from true emergency, the group schedule stands.

I would seriously consider not giving the guy another ride to the golf course. Ruining the golf day out for the other 3 because of his planned schedule is, difficult to think this guy will stand behind his friends when his help is needed.

Unless, of course, you guys were using his ride.

I had left the golf course before I finished the round, many, many times. Those were planned and known to me before I start the round and I never spoiled others round with the early withdrawal.

Quite a few times because of family obligation, when kids were young. Wife had always been understanding of the time needed for a round of golf with an hour or so of extension for slow pace of play. A full half of day ( or a full day for far away locations ) of golf is expected and she won;t call me to find out when I'll be home.

Had a guy I used to play with kept getting call from his kids because his wife told the kids to call Daddy to make him feel guilty not spending time with them. Not a pleasant experience for all of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've skipped holes because I was gonna be late for something. Golf isn't some sacred event that happens once every generation, it's a game....people have lives , they have other commitments, they have family....

 

If you are normally home in 5 hours so schedule something else that day as such....and then the pace is crazy slow and it's going to cause you to be late for something because today it will be 6 hours... maybe you have to leave early. Not that big a deal

 

I wouldn't ask my group to skip holes with me though because that isn't fair to them. I'd just leave.

 

Just a couple of weeks ago a guy I played with had to leave after 9 because he was going to be late for a lunch event or something with his wife, and the front 9 had taken forever. No one cared

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Link to post
Share on other sites

WTH is a "soundbath yoga session?" ?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your title triggered me a little as this just happened over the weekend...my brother and I were finishing up the 17th hole and we see a group of 4 in carts rush passed us to wedge themselves in on the 18th hole given the sun set and night was quickly approaching. We yelled at them from a far and they tried to ignore us until we walked up to them and they backed off saying, "you're good".

Selfish pricks...if you happen to be one of those guys that played at Preakness Valley on Friday, learn some basic manners "bruh"

/end rant

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have on a few occasions cut a round short to finish in time for some family obligation or another. But I don't try to hurry through and and finish. If I need to be on the road by 4:00pm and at 3:30 there's still five holes to play, I just play another hole or so at my normal pace then walk in and head for home.

 

Can't stand trying to play golf under time pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather, darkness. Golf here is amazingly predictable. Maybe one 5 hour round in 20 years. Over 4 hours very uncommon. I schedule golf and other events so that there is never any question I have time barring emergencies and that has never happened. Also, only car pooled for golf a handful of times in 20 years so that's not an issue. You gotta go? See ya.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Link to post
Share on other sites

did no one honestly ask him WHY he wanted to rush you guys? ie if he wanted to rush - have him play up ahead and go home. no reason why his fear of his wife, love of yoga or anything else should impact you guys.

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 2.5"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @gioguy21 said:

> did no one honestly ask him WHY he wanted to rush you guys? ie if he wanted to rush - have him play up ahead and go home. no reason why his fear of his wife, love of yoga or anything else should impact you guys.

 

I do wish one of the foursome ahead of me this weekend had received a call from his wife requesting an immediate, emergency yoga session...preferably on about the fifth hole. Would have saved me an hour of standing around waiting for them to make their slug-like progress from hole to hole to hole on the back nine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > did no one honestly ask him WHY he wanted to rush you guys? ie if he wanted to rush - have him play up ahead and go home. no reason why his fear of his wife, love of yoga or anything else should impact you guys.

>

> I do wish one of the foursome ahead of me this weekend had received a call from his wife requesting an immediate, emergency yoga session...preferably on about the fifth hole. Would have saved me an hour of standing around waiting for them to make their slug-like progress from hole to hole to hole on the back nine.

 

we played a 5k yardage course (18 holes, par 65) yesterday -- you'd THINK it would be fast. nope. teed off at 2:20, finished at 6:45. smh.

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 2.5"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather and darkness. We used to have one guy in our regular gang who was ALWAYS in a hurry, ALWAYS had to get to something right after playing. We not-so-politely suggested that if he had pressing engagements, he was more than welcome to play earlier than the rest of us. If I'm in a group driving for something outside of town, we all agree in advance wen're going to take whatever time it takes. If someone has a time limit, they drive themselves. Its simple courtesy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played a few tournaments in horrid weather (live in Montana) that I just couldn't wait to be finished with.

 

9am tee time, 47*F w/ rain and 20 mph winds, we shot -4 and won by a landslide.

 

All time brutal conditions. And due to my obsession of style over functionality, i was wearing a thin Nike 1/4 Zip and greyson trousers. Froze my d*ck off

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @dpb5031 said:

> WTH is a "soundbath yoga session?" ?

 

Exactly ! "well, it was, like, ya know, a full, um, er, uh, moon, so it was, like, super-duper important to be there to experience." P'shaw.

On a related note...to call someone a "pussy" has nothing to do with female anatomy. Rather, it comes from the word, "pusillanimous" which means, "cowardly"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> @hobbes928 said:

> Your title triggered me a little as this just happened over the weekend...my brother and I were finishing up the 17th hole and we see a group of 4 in carts rush passed us to wedge themselves in on the 18th hole given the sun set and night was quickly approaching. We yelled at them from a far and they tried to ignore us until we walked up to them and they backed off saying, "you're good".

> Selfish pricks...if you happen to be one of those guys that played at Preakness Valley on Friday, learn some basic manners "bruh"

> /end rant

 

Not us - but I feel your pain. I've been on the end of wanting to finish a round because of an impending storm when some of the group were just screwing around trying to find a ball; then on the other end where it's getting dark and the group in front keeps playing painfully slow. Today, as a matter of fact, I was with another guy as a 2-some, seemed like we'd be able to fly around the course, until we ran into a 5-some of elderly Asian men who had 2 holes in front of them clear...and even when we came to a par 3, they didn't wave us up or through. And they weren't in carts, they were walking...and not only were they walking, they would leave their pull carts in the front of the green instead of advancing them towards the next hole, so they would finish (finally), and then walk back to the fairway! And if that wasn't enough, they putted out EVERYTHING...no gimmes.

 

The pro put an end to that at the turn and had them wait for use to play through, and then we sailed along unimpaired. But those guys were painfully slow...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • **GIVEAWAY** Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour Fairway ENTER NOW!
      Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* fairway giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Like
      • 784 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 
       
      This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.
       
      The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.
       
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
      2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  


       
      Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.
       

       
        • Like
      • 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!
       
      That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!
       
      If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first
       





       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 1,502 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6
       
       

       
      Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Cameron putters - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Patrick Reed testing TPT shafts 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
       
       
      • 54 replies
    • 2021 Players - discussion and links
      Please post any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Players - Monday #1
      2021 Players - Monday #2
      2021 Players - Monday #3
      2021 Players - Monday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #1
      2021 Players - Tuesday #2
      2021 Players - Tuesday #3
      2021 Players - Tuesday #4
      2021 Players - Tuesday #5
      2021 Players - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
      Maverick McNealy's custom 1 of 1 Callaway Apex MB irons - 2021 Players
      Adam Long's Cameron T-5 proto - 2021 Players
      Abraham Ancer's custom Muira irons and custom MMT shafts - 2021 Players
      Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Players
      Jon Rahm's bag - 2021 Players
      Xander Schauffele's bag - 2021 Players
      Sergio with a Cameron putter - 2021 Players
      Cameron T11 & 11.5 putters - 2021 Players
      Sergio Garcia's clubs - 2021 Players
      Scott Brown's Odyssey gamer - 2021 Players
       
       
       
      • 52 replies

×
×
  • Create New...